mlscontractcleaner

My poor bloody body
« on: February 25, 2012, 08:37:32 am »
I have been a window cleaner for more than twenty years and wfp for about five of those. The money is good, the freedom it gives us is good and I do like my job, but buggar me do I hurt a lot.

My shoulders, my arms, my hands, not all at once, but boy do they suffer.

I think another twenty years of this and I'll be fit for the knackers yard.

Please tell me I'm not alone in suffering for my job :'(
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

Roy Cauldery

Re: My poor bloody body
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 08:46:27 am »
I have been a window cleaner for more than twenty years and wfp for about five of those. The money is good, the freedom it gives us is good and I do like my job, but buggar me do I hurt a lot.

This will get all the oldies going!! ;D
Feel the same-manual labour from 16,infantry at 17 for 7 years,15 years in the newspaper trade(wholesale) and now wfp for the last 4
I feel your pain, but just keep taking the sanatogen!! ;D

Roy
we succeed because others can't or won't

Erithwc

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 08:48:06 am »
you are not alone i have problems with my gulmas maximus muscle which causes shooting pains in my hips but physio seems to be sorting the problem out  ;D

Thinking about doing some heathy living for i bit five a day and all that rubish to see if i feel better after or not  ;D ;D

regards paul

Small but perfectley formed

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 08:50:19 am »
I was going to work today but knackered  :'( 23 yrs window cleaning ,ive been working the last 2 wks with sciatica completely numb right leg and muscle weakness and the left leg having to take extra load so thats playing up now.
Spit and polish

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 08:51:41 am »
ive been window cleaning for 18 years mate(nearly 2 years wfp)and im fine.

dont get me wrong i get a few aches and pains at times and i work hard but i know when to take a few days off or slack off with work a bit.

if you dont mind me asking how many hours a week do you work "on the glass"so to speak and what poles do you use?

i average 25-30 hours a week "on the glass" and a few hours collecting/admin/filling up etc

every 4-5 weeks i have around 3-4 days off then back at it.

if you work a lot more hours than me then id seriously look at scaling down or employing.selling a bit of work.keeping the cream and cutting your living expenses down a bit as you wont get any better as you get older!!

i use a 25FT SLX for all my work.

best wishes

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

LWC

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 08:52:12 am »
I used to suffer with bad backs when using trolley but thats gone now with van mount.

Just need to make life easy as possible, light poles, long hose reels etc.

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 09:02:56 am »
im off to work now.i normally dont work saturdays but i had monday and wednesday off this week.only got around 4 hours work to clean then feet up til monday.

eating a bit better and a good massage off the missus(or another woman!)can make you feel better!! ;) ;D ;D

cod liver oil/glucosamine and a multivitamin tablet every day wont do you any harm either.

give up smoking if you do or try vaping e cigs.

cut down the booze or quit altogether.

lose weight if your a bit of a fatty.

itll all help!! ;D ;D ;D

best wishes

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

Rayleigh Window Cleaning Services

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 09:15:58 am »
Been going 32 years, started just after leaving school in 78.

I actually feel better than all them years ago, reason being, I remember when I first started canvassing and my first 100 customers or so were mainly 3 story houses, and still do majority of them. ( Saw that no other window cleaners at the time wanted to do them ) think it was the height thing! the only difference being that for 20 odd years they were done trad, and boy did you know you had done them, especially when windy, now wfp so much easier, I laugh at them now ;D

Steve

Tom White

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 09:58:04 am »
I started running regularly about seven months ago; I have lost some weight (not that I was a fatty in the first place); and the new fitness I have really helps on a day-to-day basis.

I also try to work smartly; I use an SLX as my everyday pole; that helps. 

So, get fit, lose weight and work intelligently; and I hope there's another 20 years worth of work inside of me.  My back up plan, for when the body fails is to drive trucks.

Johnny B

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 10:31:30 am »
I am 15 years into this game, 100% trad. I will turn 50 in 6 weeks time, and feel as fit as the day I started (well, fitter really).

I believe the reasons are that I always take my time, and have a relaxed attitude towards my work (although I am OCD-ish regarding attention to detail).

I don't smoke, I drink very occasionally, I have never seen the inside of a gym all my adult life, and I don't exercise.

I am 5 feet 10 and weigh around 12 stone (the last time I checked was 11 months ago when I was about to undergo a hernia op).

My work hours are from around 9:30 to 5:30 (longer in summer) and I work most Saturday afternoons.

I don't feel your pain literally, but I empathize with you.

John 

Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Spruce

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 11:34:09 am »
As you get older you won't be able to do as much, period. I've found the tortoise approach helps nowdays. Pace your self and just keep plodding on.

I find I need the weekend to recoup, but I'm happy to have a chin wag along the way with my customers - gives me time to 'catch my breath.'

Its alright for these young ones to whip through 30 houses a day, but I can't. As time goes on, I see myself choosing better paid individual work rather than a street of low priced houses that result in good end of day earnings.

Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

weetot

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 11:58:30 am »
Soft..................................................the lot of ya.

I'll finish this when I get back from the doctors. ;D
Never take financial advice from people who have no money!

bobby p

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 12:35:32 pm »
im thinking that everytime your hand raises past the shoulder level you lose a minute off the end of your life due to wear

KS Cleaning

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 12:35:55 pm »

I was beginning to suffer a bit as well,I went to a Physio a few weeks back,got some treatment and he gave me some exercises to do at home,it has made a big difference to me,just have to remember to take a few minutes out every night to do the stretches.

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 01:10:37 pm »
im off to work now.i normally dont work saturdays but i had monday and wednesday off this week.only got around 4 hours work to clean then feet up til monday.

eating a bit better and a good massage off the missus(or another woman!)can make you feel better!! ;) ;D ;D

cod liver oil/glucosamine and a multivitamin tablet every day wont do you any harm either.

give up smoking if you do or try vaping e cigs.

cut down the booze or quit altogether.

lose weight if your a bit of a fatty.

itll all help!! ;D ;D ;D

best wishes

dazmond

Daz I'm 5ft 10", 90kg, work out daily at the gym, have never smoked, drink so little that my kids laugh at how quickly I can get drunk, and eat a very healthy diet, apart from the odd takeaway.

My problem is that perhaps I do work a little too much. Can't imagine cutting out my household expenses though; we take a Christmas holiday each year in the Caribbean; off to Oz for a month next year, plus four expensive kids and five expensive grandkids to think about. I say kids, apart from our eleven year old the rest are 19, 21 and 24 but still remember where we live when they're skint :-\

I guess I'll just have to live with it; or get the right numbers tonight ;D
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

keyser soze

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 02:41:04 pm »
i used to be a builder and i packed that job in cause window cleaning was easier on the body or so i presumed. i hope i dont end up suffering like some of you guys. i used to come home and struggled to get out my chair cause i ached so much but now i ve got a new lease of life loving it and dont ache and generally got more energy.

Llaaww

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 02:43:10 pm »
Yep, plenty of aches and pains here.

I did a lot of ladder work before wfp, but I also used to climb a lot. Fingers hands elbows and shoulders all have a go at hurting here and there. It seems to come in bouts, all is well one day, and the next I can hardly get hold of my toothbrush, or put a t shirt on.

If i have to work on painful days I just neck a couple of painkillers. Lucky I get free ones from the quack.

poor old me... :(

if it is dirty it is fair game

Frankybadboy

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 03:15:50 pm »
man up the lot of you ;D ;D ;D

colin purewater

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 03:34:28 pm »
Window cleaning is BY FAR the easyest job ive ever done !!!!!!

no aches no pains and loads of energy left at the end of the day to play with me kids!!

love it  ;)

but saying that ive been working as a climbing tree surgeon for the past 10 years and that is probably one of the most physical job that you can do!

so pushing a gardiner pole round  the glass is a walk in the park for me.

think ive put many years on my life with this career chioce  ;)
keep it simple

steven ainger

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 03:47:00 pm »
I think factors in the aches n pains are :
Age & how many years wfp, also what job you did previous to w/c.
Im 45 this year, been wfp for 5 yrs but had over 20 yrs working sheet metal, alot of lifting and gripping steel tightly, so i do get aches n pains in my shoulders arms and fingers, nothing serious though, just general wear and tear