Johnny B

Re: If you were starting now
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 12:46:37 am »
Same as Tosh, I didn't have the confidence to charge what I should have.

I will be selling up and moving to Eire in 6 weeks time and starting up over there, so I will make sure I don't repeat my past mistake of underpricing.

John.

are you gonna start from scratch canvassing or buying a round ? good luck by the way!

Thanks, GB.

I will be starting from scratch, canvassing. I will be taking my van and equipment with me when I canvass, as I want to start working as soon as I get a 'yes'!

I don't have a problem with door knocking. When I started up, all my initial customers were found this way (never leafletted) and it got easier as I went along!   

John   
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2011, 07:02:33 am »
Good luck  8)

A@R WINDOWCLEANING

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2011, 07:29:12 am »
got myself a good accountant in the first place

Dave Anderson

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2011, 09:05:36 am »
Just a quick note ....I have seen a couple of references to VAT and thresholds...as Europe is effectively a big market ground...I see the day when the U.K follows most of Europe and VAT is charged from week1 day 1 regardless...I know this applies to Cozy in Germany and we are charged 19% from the off here in The Netherlands.

Just think how much additional revenue the UK Gov't is losing each and every day?...I'm not saying it's right but it's not so very far from home.

Hey I might write to the chancellor to suggest this as a addition to the next budget.... whaddaya d'ya fink? :P

Cheers
Dave.
The more I know the less I know I know ...

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2011, 09:21:46 am »
There are many things I would have done differently:

Bigger van from day 1, it cost me a fortune changing vans & kitting it all out again
Forget the trolley, I'd go van-mount from day 1
Fixed reel from day 1
Wouldn't have listened to Matt on the DIY forum saying a 50gpd RO would be plenty,.. I would have got a 400gpd pumped RO from day 1 & never ran dry!
I would never trust an inline TDS meter
I would be more careful about what other "cleaners" I worked with on big jobs, as their failing reputation could adversely affect mine by association.
I would have dumped a lot of custies on day 1 (took over a round of messers from my father in law!)
Gardiner poles & brushes from day 1, no messing with flagpoles & autobricks auto-brushes
Split charge relay from day 1
I would have bought a pressure washer & X-jet straight away, its a great wet weather earner.
Priced higher from day one, and concentrated on one off/irregular cleans. Where I am (Ireland) there is a lot more of this work than the standard 6 weeklys, and it can be priced a lot better too.
I would never work in schools again (Daily classroom cleaning, not windows) as the profit margin doesn't justify the stress.
I'd never do carpet cleaning again,.. too much equipment cost for the return if you're not doing it full time.
I'd pay the extra for a decent graphic design company to do the van signs instead of going with the cheapest.

Every mistake has taught me something though,.. so if I didn't make those mistakes then, i'm sure I'd be making new ones in the future!

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2011, 09:38:48 am »
got myself a good accountant in the first place

how do you define a good accountant?

bobplum

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2011, 10:06:07 am »
i would go franchised,let them do most of the hard work(accountant,graphics,prices,etc) and i would just concentrate on customers

boshravie

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2011, 10:59:34 am »
i would go franchised,let them do most of the hard work(accountant,graphics,prices,etc) and i would just concentrate on customers

Very wise choice I would say bobplum  :) :)

Ian101

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2011, 06:57:17 pm »

i will sell u a franchise mate ... u give me £10000 and supply ur own van though

Ian101

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2011, 06:58:17 pm »
i would have started 25 years ago and missed the motor trade out altogether ... 12 months out of it and just getting over it about now  ;D

mci services

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2011, 07:02:50 pm »
Just a quick note ....I have seen a couple of references to VAT and thresholds...as Europe is effectively a big market ground...I see the day when the U.K follows most of Europe and VAT is charged from week1 day 1 regardless...I know this applies to Cozy in Germany and we are charged 19% from the off here in The Netherlands.

Just think how much additional revenue the UK Gov't is losing each and every day?...I'm not saying it's right but it's not so very far from home.

Hey I might write to the chancellor to suggest this as a addition to the next budget.... whaddaya d'ya fink? :P

Cheers
Dave.

great idea, start a petition :D

Dave Anderson

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2011, 07:25:52 pm »
So that's 1 for the petition >>> Stu Mac...anyone else?
The more I know the less I know I know ...

Steve_c

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2011, 09:30:20 am »
i would have started 25 years ago and missed the motor trade out altogether ... 12 months out of it and just getting over it about now  ;D
LOl I Know what you mean, 28 years in Print i don't miss printing one bit. Miss the lads as working on your own is a bit isolated.

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2011, 05:54:16 pm »
I would have started 10 years earlier.

bobby p

Re: If you were starting now New
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2011, 06:15:31 pm »
maybe have took the plunge and started my biz on the continent instead of locally . a REAL lifestyle change

im in a bit too deep now here,otherwise id quite fancy a weeks worth across the channel somewhere

i have a brother who made the leap into France a few years ago,loves the workstyle over there. granted he isnt cleaning windows though !