P @ F

Re: Grippatank 9kw Hydroheat 🔥
« Reply #320 on: November 28, 2018, 08:10:29 pm »
Daz , where is this probe positioned ?

no idea rich!i didnt fit the heater! ;D
Fat load of feckin good you are mate  ;D ;D ;D
If you had told me that the probe was on the outlet of the tank then I would be willing to purchase one , I might even consider the 5kw as I only have 300/350 to heat , I wouldnt even bother with any batteries or split charge system , I would just fire it up with the engine running and when the amps dropped back switch van off and let the system do its thing for an hour while im eating brekky .
But thats too good to be true for me until I know where that probe is !
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

P @ F

« Reply #321 on: November 28, 2018, 08:30:05 pm »
I would guess that the probe is after the hot water outlet of the plate exchanger in effect giving you the temp of the water being produced at the time , and the best place to be for frost stat use , the exchanger is going to break long before the burner in the event of frost .

Jonny 87

« Reply #322 on: November 28, 2018, 09:19:18 pm »
I would guess that the probe is after the hot water outlet of the plate exchanger in effect giving you the temp of the water being produced at the time , and the best place to be for frost stat use , the exchanger is going to break long before the burner in the event of frost .

No mate, the probe is the coldest part of
Your system. It’s positioned on the outlet of the pump, before it goes into the heat exchanger. Essentially giving you the temp of your tank water.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Spruce

« Reply #323 on: November 28, 2018, 09:20:29 pm »

Its the temperature probe that connects to the Spring Frostat controller.

It was plumbed into the hot outlet from the heat exchanger to the hose reel on the Heatwave. It measured the temperature of the water after it left the temperature control valve. It was inside the cabinet. When the temperature drops to 2 degrees the Froststat triggers the boiler which runs for 10 minutes. Hot water circulates through the heat exchangers  and header tank before returning to the boiler for another boost of heat.

If the controller is also switched on and the hose reel connected to the van's tank, warm water will also circulate for 10 minutes to the van's tank. Either way, one side of the heat exchanger is protected against frost with antifreeze, but the warmth in the heat exchanger will also protect the other side which hasn't got antifreeze in the water.

This is a Frost stat instruction manual for an older model controller.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

P @ F

« Reply #324 on: November 28, 2018, 09:51:59 pm »
So with what Jonny and Spruce have just said , the temp readings that Daz and Jonny are giving for the Grippa system is water temp from the bottom of the tank shortly before it goes down the reel hose ?

If Daz is getting 40/50 at this point after 30 minutes with a 500 tank then is it feasable that I could get near that with 1 hour preheat through my 350 .........yes or no ?

P @ F

« Reply #325 on: November 28, 2018, 09:54:55 pm »
So with what Jonny and Spruce have just said , the temp readings that Daz and Jonny are giving for the Grippa system is water temp from the bottom of the tank shortly before it goes down the reel hose ?

If Daz is getting 40/50 at this point after 30 minutes with a 500 tank then is it feasable that I could get near that with 1 hour preheat through my 350 .........yes or no ?

I forgot to say ...with a 5kw not a 9kw !

p1w1

« Reply #326 on: November 28, 2018, 09:59:52 pm »

If your going to spend the money that these heaters cost on a 5kw you may as well just pay the extra 400 + vat for the 9kw.
I know your a tight arse P@F  ;D but even you may see its probably the better option really for the sake of a few hundred more.

dazmond

« Reply #327 on: November 28, 2018, 10:03:31 pm »

It can't be because the temperature at the brush end(with 100m of coiled hose) is 60c+ when the temp probe is reading 40c-50c......
price higher/work harder!

P @ F

« Reply #328 on: November 28, 2018, 10:06:57 pm »

If your going to spend the money that these heaters cost on a 5kw you may as well just pay the extra 400 + vat for the 9kw.
I know your a tight arse P@F  ;D but even you may see its probably the better option really for the sake of a few hundred more.
You know me well , but not that well  ;D ;D ;D,
If it comes to light that its a possible goer , I sure as poop wont be buying one , I shall be making my own  ;)

Jonny 87

« Reply #329 on: November 28, 2018, 10:09:07 pm »

It can't be because the temperature at the brush end(with 100m of coiled hose) is 60c+ when the temp probe is reading 40c-50c......

Yeah...... the grippa set up goes

Tank outlet (cold)
Pump (cold)
Temperature probe (cold)
Heat exchanger (hot)
Reel (hot)
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

p1w1

« Reply #330 on: November 28, 2018, 10:10:27 pm »

You know me well , but not that well  ;D ;D ;D,
If it comes to light that its a possible goer , I sure as poop wont be buying one , I shall be making my own  ;)
I'll look out for a bang and a big cloud of smoke one day then  ;D ;D

Spruce

« Reply #331 on: November 28, 2018, 10:11:37 pm »

If you relook at the video clip you posted a link to with those 2 guys heating up that bucket of water.  Try to work out how much water was in that bucket of water and how long you thought it took them to heat it up to the point the boiler cut off - 77 degrees C.
If the bucket holds 10 liters then you project the time it took to heat 10 liters by 50.
Thats a little longer than 30 minutes even heating it to half of the temperature they heated the water to in that bucket.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Splash & dash

« Reply #332 on: November 28, 2018, 10:12:14 pm »

Mine is mounted on the tank frame and is about 4 inches long and round in shape and black in colour

a900

« Reply #333 on: November 28, 2018, 10:31:15 pm »

Just found myself a used 9kw from a boat owner who bought it and rarely used it so decided to sell.  £500 including header tank. Got a uk exchangers limited plate exchanger on the way from someone who fitted it to a system to find it didn’t fix the problem. Bigger than the Webasto own heat exchanger for £40

Hoping to have it together eventually 2 man with a frost stat for under £1000. Just need a grippatank case to put it in.  ;D  ;) or find someone who can make me a aluminium case with my business name stamped out

P @ F

« Reply #334 on: November 28, 2018, 10:31:56 pm »
What you Grippa guys need is one of these , not lab grade but ball park temps can be gotten just by pointing the laser at what you want to know the temp of , only 2 days delivery too !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handheld-Digital-LCD-Temperature-Thermometer-Laser-Non-Contact-IR-Infrared-Gun/391451014419?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

dazmond

« Reply #335 on: November 28, 2018, 10:32:47 pm »
I've noticed that when I'm working that the temperature probe will go down to around 25c from say 45c within an hour(I don't have a second pump constantly recirculating hot water back to tank while working)......

dazmond

« Reply #336 on: November 28, 2018, 10:41:57 pm »

If you relook at the video clip you posted a link to with those 2 guys heating up that bucket of water.  Try to work out how much water was in that bucket of water and how long you thought it took them to heat it up to the point the boiler cut off - 77 degrees C.
If the bucket holds 10 liters then you project the time it took to heat 10 liters by 50.
Thats a little longer than 30 minutes even heating it to half of the temperature they heated the water to in that bucket.

All I know is that within 30 mins my temp probe is reading 40-50c after reading say 10c just as I start my heater up first thing in the morning.....

Tomorrow I'll take a few pics of the starting temp and 30 mins after turning on the heater....

robert mitchell

« Reply #337 on: November 28, 2018, 11:35:48 pm »
Would putting an ampmeter on it help to indicate anything might be wonky?

I dont think the batt will be the problem , the heater wont start at all if voltage goes too low ........to test it you can use your smart charger as a power supply , you can on my ctek anyway .
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

dd

« Reply #338 on: November 29, 2018, 02:52:30 pm »

no idea rich!i didnt fit the heater! ;D
Fat load of feckin good you are mate  ;D ;D ;D
If you had told me that the probe was on the outlet of the tank then I would be willing to purchase one , I might even consider the 5kw as I only have 300/350 to heat , I wouldnt even bother with any batteries or split charge system , I would just fire it up with the engine running and when the amps dropped back switch van off and let the system do its thing for an hour while im eating brekky .
But thats too good to be true for me until I know where that probe is !
Trouble with your idea of running heater off van battery is on frosty nights the frost stat will drain your van battery, especially if van is parked up for 2 or 3 nights over a frosty weekend.

You would need to run a lead out to van to keep the battery charged up overnight.

P @ F

« Reply #339 on: November 29, 2018, 03:20:14 pm »
Running a cable isnt really a safe option for me , if it was I would be on immersion .
Having a diesel is to try to get away from my gas L5
As I said ealier , if I get one it will be the basic parts to self build , I dont need the frost stat as im way down in the SouthWest , couple of duvets is all I use at most .