Spruce

Re: Grippatank 9kw Hydroheat 🔥
« Reply #180 on: November 25, 2018, 09:18:03 pm »
So 5 kw is thermotop c
And 9 kw is thermo pro 90
Thanks for that !

Next question is .... What is the temp of the coolant before it goes into the heat exchanger and what sort of Lpm it pumps it at ?
I’m just having another of my brainwaves in DIY world 😁

5 years ago I thought about making my own version with a few additions of my own.

So I put this together with the view of then fitting it into a box.

Firstly the diesel heater is a Thermo Top C and its a universal variant. A diesel heater from a Rover 75 will work as will one from a Citroen C5 and C8. The universal units are available ex narrow boat and yachts. Mine came from a refurbisher.
Vehicle specifical Thermo Tops for BMW and others that integrate into the vehicles Canbus do not work, no matter what the Ebay sellers say. (I'v got a BMW one here in the garage that doesn't work.)

You will need a wiring harness, a fuel pump and in some cases a water pump. A 1531 controller is also a plus although cheaper digital controllers or a standard on/off switch will work.

When I played around with this the water temperature in the tank was 9 degrees. With the heater working flat out the temperature at the brush head was 35 degrees after 100 meters of hose, most of which was coiled on the hose reel. The water leaving the heat exchanger to go back to the boiler via the header was cold. That heat exchanger zapped every scrap of heat from the hot water.

I believed that 5kw would support heating 2 hose reels. According to the calculator I used, raising 1.5lpm of water through 26 degrees should have only used 2.65kw, so the rest of the heat was being lost, mainly through the exhaust. That put me off a bit.

The idea of the 3rd heat exchanger was to connect it up to a third pump that would be controlled using a digital temperature controller. This was my automatic control solution to ensure the furnace remained running when I stopped to chat to people.

The cycle of a Thermo Top C is that it takes around 90 seconds to fully start. It will burn on full heat mode until the water its heating gets up to 74 degrees C. At 74 degrees the heater goes into half heat mode.  Once the temperature of the heated water reaches 77 degrees the heater goes in power down mode, which takes around 90 seconds.

Now if you start to draw heat from the heating circuit when the water is 75 degrees, the heater will stay in half heat mode until it drops to 68 degrees C is memory serves me. So the idea was to program the digital controller to kick a pump in at 75 degrees and switch it off at 70 degrees C and bleed that hot water into the tank.

The problem with diesel heaters is getting them out of heating sync. So if I talked to a customer for a while and the heater went into its shutdown cycle I would have to wait for at least 3 minutes before the heater switched off and then restarted. By then the water at the brush head was cold as I had zapped all the heat from it and because I'm still working the temperature will take a long time before it starts to heat the water up. I will probably have completed the next house using mainly cold water. Once I stop working the heater then has a chance to catch up. This will probably mean the heater again goes into shutdown mode. This is the reason why NWH and a few others redirect the water to the tank on route to the next customer.

These things are primarily engine preheaters. So they start and warm up the coolant in the engine block. When the temperature of the coolant water reaches 30 degrees the unit will switch on the internal blower motor so defrosting the windscreen and warming the cabin. This process will take around 30 minutes, so the programmer will switch off after 30 minutes unless you set it to stay on longer. The heater shuts off at 77 degrees C as that is before the vehicles cooling thermostat starts to open.
Its pointless pumping that hot water through the radiator to be cooled by it.

That has to be the most informative post I have found on the web about these heaters.

What heat exchangers were you using. The Webasto ones are pricy and the options on eBay for not to much money are in kw. I presumed 66kw would be about right

Honestly I can't remember exactly which heat exchangers they are as they were purchased some 5 or so years ago. They were Gedhill heat exchangers and are similar to these; Gledhill GT017 Plate Heat Exchanger. The difference is the couplings that are 22mm rather than threaded.

In the early stages I was in contact with this supplier in Germany.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hrale-Stainless-Steel-Heat-Exchanger-10-Plates-max-22-kW-Plate-Heat-Exchanger-/331858113137?hash=item4d4448f271

I was advised by the owner of Wiltec that he believed a 10 plate 22kw heat exchanger would be sufficient for what we want.
They are of similar size to the heat exchangers used on some combi boilers and they work ok in that application.

These are a cheaper alternative.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hrale-Stainless-Steel-Heat-Exchanger-30-Plates-max-66-kW-Plate-Heat-Exchanger-/331858111017?hash=item4d4448ea29

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Splash & dash

« Reply #181 on: November 25, 2018, 09:33:52 pm »
I have read all theses posts with great intrest spruce is a font of knowledge, but I don’t understand why anyone would spend the amount of time cobbling together what can be bought and installed by a professional company with a guarantee themselves , it’s never going to be cost effective and is plainly obvious that most haven’t got a clue what they are doing as some of the questions being asked are very basic , I have a grippatank 9 kw system had it 4 years works 8 hours a day and has never missed a beat  for all those wanting hot water just go and get it done professionally as it will work out better and cheaper in the long run , trying to do it yourself is never worth it to save a very small amount of money the professionally installed systems are tried tested and have a proven track record , cheap heat exchangers off eBay don’t last a friend of mine has had several they are cheap copies as soon as you pick them up you can feel the difference, when earning a living you need top notch reliable kit that won’t let you down .

Spruce

« Reply #182 on: November 25, 2018, 09:44:49 pm »
I have read all theses posts with great intrest spruce is a font of knowledge, but I don’t understand why anyone would spend the amount of time cobbling together what can be bought and installed by a professional company with a guarantee themselves , it’s never going to be cost effective and is plainly obvious that most haven’t got a clue what they are doing as some of the questions being asked are very basic , I have a grippatank 9 kw system had it 4 years works 8 hours a day and has never missed a beat  for all those wanting hot water just go and get it done professionally as it will work out better and cheaper in the long run , trying to do it yourself is never worth it to save a very small amount of money the professionally installed systems are tried tested and have a proven track record , cheap heat exchangers off eBay don’t last a friend of mine has had several they are cheap copies as soon as you pick them up you can feel the difference, when earning a living you need top notch reliable kit that won’t let you down .

You are right, but I have learnt so much myself with this exercise and I enjoyed giving myself a lot of insight on how these things work.

I do have a 2 man Heatwave 9kw which I bought as spares and repairs and have got working. I will probably fit it into my next van which isn't rotting away with rust like my current van is.
I wanted to include the third heat exchanger concept into that. Its been on the back burner for a bit as I just haven't had the energy to get stuck in and complete the task.

Actually window cleaning takes all the energy I've got atm.

Splash & dash

« Reply #183 on: November 25, 2018, 10:02:14 pm »

You are right, but I have learnt so much myself with this exercise and I enjoyed giving myself a lot of insight on how these things work.

I do have a 2 man Heatwave 9kw which I bought as spares and repairs and have got working. I will probably fit it into my next van which isn't rotting away with rust like my current van is.
I wanted to include the third heat exchanger concept into that. Its been on the back burner for a bit as I just haven't had the energy to get stuck in and complete the task.

Intresting what you say about 3 heat exchangers that’s what I wanted and after long discussion with Oliver at Grippatank and extensive testing it couldn’t be done successfully you could have two hot hoses or 3 Luke warm hoses  , so I opted for the two hot and one cold , but the tank heats up quite quickly with water return to tank so after a couple of hours the cold hose it quite hot anyway .

Spruce

« Reply #184 on: November 26, 2018, 08:13:19 am »

Intresting what you say about 3 heat exchangers that’s what I wanted and after long discussion with Oliver at Grippatank and extensive testing it couldn’t be done successfully you could have two hot hoses or 3 Luke warm hoses  , so I opted for the two hot and one cold , but the tank heats up quite quickly with water return to tank so after a couple of hours the cold hose it quite hot anyway .

The idea behind the third heat exchanger with a third pump was to control that 'add-on' with a digital temperature controller. When the internal hot water circuit reaches a few degrees before the Webasto goes from reduced heat mode to shutdown I would program the controller to switch the pump on and bleed that heat back to the tank. On the 9.1kw Webasto that half heat 'window' is about 10 degrees C (depending on the model and how they connect up the purple wire) so the idea was that the controller would cycle the pump on and off to keep that temperature in that half heat mode window.

So the third heat exchanger theoretically wouldn't interfere with the heat of the other other two hose reels.

Some go back to the van and plug the hose onto a connection on the tank to do a similar job. Ionics use a pressure relief valve, so when you switch the flow off at the brush head the pressure increases to 65psi, pushes the pressure relief valve off its seat and water flows back to the tank.  Downside for me is that the pump would run continually. The other downside is that Ionics don't have a temerature control valve on their heat exchanger so the temperature to the brush head is unregulated.

a900

« Reply #185 on: November 26, 2018, 09:15:47 am »
Spruce. I was looking at heat exchangers out of combi boilers that are the same size or larger than the Webasto one. Like the gt017. I beleive the Chinese Kw rating should be taken with a pinch of salt

You said the exchangers you had resulted in cold hoses on the outlet side of the heater circuit. Shows that the exchanger is drawing all the heat out of the system well.

I planned to used silicon hoses and lag everything on the heater side

You say you made this set up 5 years ago. Still using it?

Spruce

« Reply #186 on: November 26, 2018, 10:29:06 am »
Spruce. I was looking at heat exchangers out of combi boilers that are the same size or larger than the Webasto one. Like the gt017. I beleive the Chinese Kw rating should be taken with a pinch of salt

You said the exchangers you had resulted in cold hoses on the outlet side of the heater circuit. Shows that the exchanger is drawing all the heat out of the system well.

I planned to used silicon hoses and lag everything on the heater side

You say you made this set up 5 years ago. Still using it?

No I'm not. It was a 'test bench' I made up to see how efficienctly or inefficiently the system works. And those heat exchangers work brilliantly. They are perhaps too good for the application as I think we need something smaller or less efficient that will 'share' some heat with the other heat exchanger so at least both operators benefit.

In the early day when minbore hose became available to us window cleaners it was rather stiff. It was just manageable in summer but a nightmare in winter. (But it was better than the 1/2" garden hose we used before that.) So the original idea was to have a heater that just put enough heat out to warm the hoses enough to make them more manageable to use in winter.

My heat calculator said that raising the temperature from 9 degrees to 36 degrees at 1.5lpm of water required 2.65kw of heat. But as the outlet of the first heat exchanger was cold after zapping all the heat I concluded that I'm missing 2.55kw of heat; nearly half of the rated 5.2kw. When I started off I honestly believed that this 5.kw Webasto should provide enough heat for both operators so I was very disappointed when the results fell far short of my expectations.

I felt really upset that we have a respected German company advertising a product that isn't delivering what its expected to. When I worked for Bosch Power Tools, German regulations stated that they could underate a motors wattage but nothing more. In other words they could, for example, bring out a new drilling machine fitted with a 750watt motor. However, they could promote that product as having a 500 watt motor. Then further down the line they would then promote that same power tool with an upgraded 600 watt motor and then later on a 750watt motor. But they obviously couldn't advertise the drill with a 600 watt motor when it only had a 500 watt motor.
I see this 5.2kw, not as a 5.2kw unit, but as smaller because that extra heat going out through the exhaust is of no use to man or beast. I see this as the same as advertising that drill with a 750watt motor when its only 500 watt.

In my own mind I just couldn't justify loosing 50% of a liter of diesel in wasted heat, especially as diesel in those days was climbing to about the same price as it is now. Adding this heater would mean I would be using around £80 of diesel a month added to the £60 I spend filling the van's tank up. I just couldn't believe that the poor performance of this heater for our purposes was worth the running costs of an extra £500 a year for winter use just to have slightly warmer hoses.

I changed the minibore on my hose reel for something that was a little more flexible and hence manageable in the cold and that seemed a better solution.

As I stated earlier I didn't give up on the heated water idea and bought a 2 man Heatwave spares or repairs. I got it working but the second heat exchanger was leaking water so stripped it down.  At the time I didn't expect my van to last as long as it has done due to rust so haven't made much of an attempt to set this one up in a van that would soon be scrapped. This system is still in my garage.

a900

« Reply #187 on: November 26, 2018, 06:12:03 pm »
Interesting the results you have found. I thought people were getting enough heat out of the commercial 5kw systems for a single operator. 

From your picture you look like you heat insulated the exchangers. Did you insulate the pipework and header tank also? Surely that’s a few more degrees possibly there ?

I thought of running the heater on waste oil which will be heated via a coil around the diesel heater exhaust.  This would make running costs only the diesel needed to start. There is the possibility of a mix with red diesel if that doesn’t work or 10-15% petrol and used oil. Not the sort of trial I would like to do on a new grippatank diesel system.

I thought about having a larger 10-15l header tank to give more of a buffer between pole pump being turned off and on to keep the burner going. Also providing a heat storage for hotter temps or the possibility to run 2 exchangers.

Splash & dash

« Reply #188 on: November 26, 2018, 08:17:59 pm »
Interesting the results you have found. I thought people were getting enough heat out of the commercial 5kw systems for a single operator. 

From your picture you look like you heat insulated the exchangers. Did you insulate the pipework and header tank also? Surely that’s a few more degrees possibly there ?

I thought of running the heater on waste oil which will be heated via a coil around the diesel heater exhaust.  This would make running costs only the diesel needed to start. There is the possibility of a mix with red diesel if that doesn’t work or 10-15% petrol and used oil. Not the sort of trial I would like to do on a new grippatank diesel system.

I thought about having a larger 10-15l header tank to give more of a buffer between pole pump being turned off and on to keep the burner going. Also providing a heat storage for hotter temps or the possibility to run 2 exchangers.

Lol you wont get it to run on that it will just carbon up

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #189 on: November 26, 2018, 08:31:59 pm »
Yeah and I’ve got plenty of jobs like that that’s what I’m saying you 🍩 if you don’t spend any money or you don’t have any expenses you’ll pay it in tax,last year I only spent about 6 grand or the year before,my tax bill almost doubled.
When I questioned my increase I was told I’d not spent enough through the business ie the increase,I could easily go vat if I wanted to work past 12 and then pick the kids up 😂
Are you really that thick that you needed your expenses explained to you😲

Even in this day and age some self-employed people are unable to distinguish between the amount of tax they pay and the level of disposable income.

I reckon NWH should stay off the sauce!! It certainly doesn't do him any favours!!🤣🤣
Comfortably Numb!

a900

« Reply #190 on: November 26, 2018, 08:42:00 pm »

Looks like it’s been done

https://youtu.be/tGajz_6YlNM

Splash & dash

« Reply #191 on: November 26, 2018, 08:59:32 pm »

Looks like it’s been done

https://youtu.be/tGajz_6YlNM

It might run for a short period but trust me it won’t last for hundreds of hours like it will if run on proper diesel , you don’t really believe all you see on YouTube do you ??

robert mitchell

« Reply #192 on: November 26, 2018, 09:42:14 pm »

The idea behind the third heat exchanger with a third pump was to control that 'add-on' with a digital temperature controller. When the internal hot water circuit reaches a few degrees before the Webasto goes from reduced heat mode to shutdown I would program the controller to switch the pump on and bleed that heat back to the tank. On the 9.1kw Webasto that half heat 'window' is about 10 degrees C (depending on the model and how they connect up the purple wire) so the idea was that the controller would cycle the pump on and off to keep that temperature in that half heat mode window.

So the third heat exchanger theoretically wouldn't interfere with the heat of the other other two hose reels.

Some go back to the van and plug the hose onto a connection on the tank to do a similar job. Ionics use a pressure relief valve, so when you switch the flow off at the brush head the pressure increases to 65psi, pushes the pressure relief valve off its seat and water flows back to the tank.  Downside for me is that the pump would run continually. The other downside is that Ionics don't have a temerature control valve on their heat exchanger so the temperature to the brush head is unregulated.

Spruce , in practice the lack of a temp regulator is no issue , it self regulates , in cold weather you lose more heat from the hose .

The pressure relief keeps the heater working full wack , keeping the burner in excellent condition.
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Spruce

« Reply #193 on: November 26, 2018, 09:51:44 pm »

Yes, the heat exchangers were insulated but not the pipework. I wasn't going for the minutest detail as I was looking for a sense of direction.

For a single operator I could have got a little more from the boiler had I spent time on heating the header tank up first and possibly reducing my flow fractionally.

I got 35 degrees at the brush head which was a little more at the heat exchangers. So this was a rise in temperature of 26 degrees. Had I set my thermostatically control valve for say 40 degrees output and then waited for the water in the internal hot water circuit to get much hotter, then there would have been a little heat left in the header tank to draw from. This would probably have been replenished when I switched the pole hose tap off to move from the rear to the front windows for example. That extra heat in the header tank would have acted like a buffer.

So with the right management I feel that the 5.2kw Webasto would have just managed for me as a single operator.

Spruce

« Reply #194 on: November 26, 2018, 10:04:02 pm »

Spruce , in practice the lack of a temp regulator is no issue , it self regulates , in cold weather you lose more heat from the hose .

The pressure relief keeps the heater working full wack , keeping the burner in excellent condition.

This is true and I appreciate this. Its just that the Thermo top 90 will reach the highest temperature as there is something in reserve.  I don't like the idea that I can't actually decide on reducing the temperature to the brush head if I want to.

dazmond

« Reply #195 on: November 26, 2018, 10:34:58 pm »
spruce i just leave mine on full whack all year round......as robert says a hell of a lot of heat is lost through the hose (if you have a lot of it off your reel) especially on freezing ground in the middle of winter...just as well really or it would be too hot at the brush end for glass cleaning....
price higher/work harder!

NWH

« Reply #196 on: November 27, 2018, 01:01:25 pm »
Daz mine is piping m8 I creaked loads this morning 7-8 above freezing in a rural area,I don’t know what’s going on with yours m8 my brush has a constant white halo 😇 round it,really hot all day long

NWH

« Reply #197 on: November 27, 2018, 03:01:07 pm »
I have yet to change to grippas hot hose I’m still using standard microbore maybe it’ll be even hotter when I change,like I say no frost this morning just damp and nearly cracking glass on max heat output.

dazmond

« Reply #198 on: November 27, 2018, 04:30:08 pm »
I have yet to change to grippas hot hose I’m still using standard microbore maybe it’ll be even hotter when I change,like I say no frost this morning just damp and nearly cracking glass on max heat output.

how much hose did you have off the reel?with nearly 100m off on freezing ground with 2c-3c ambient air temperature itll be warm but not hot at brush end even on max heat output....
price higher/work harder!

NWH

« Reply #199 on: November 27, 2018, 06:02:23 pm »
I don’t believe that should be happening for a minute Daz my 5kw was sometimes to hot in those conditions with the whole reel out m8,mine was so hot today with half the hose out it was so hot the water was spitting out the brush.