grant home clean

how many jobs per week
« on: May 01, 2009, 11:12:46 pm »
only really been going since xmas, i know it takes a few years to get established doing leaflet drops and add in local paper ,but how many jobs a week were you doing when first starting out, i know times are hard at minute and not a good time to be starting out .

Simon@arenaclean

Re: how many jobs per week
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 01:12:03 am »
Reputation is everything. Every job you do has to be to the best possible standard, sadly it just does not land in your lap. Promote your business to your customers and leave some cards and be bold and ask for a referral. It's not a hard sell and don't force the issue. It's easy to turn a lounge clean into a bigger ticket. Show the clean half way through so the difference is really clear and suggest you have some spare time if there's another room they would like to have done, you are all ready set up so you can be keen on the price ;D When I first started I was chuffed with one or two a week and even took a part time job for a time, but it must not be a distraction. Be positive, enthusiastic and polite. These traits are infectious and will add to the overall impression that you're good at your job and you enjoy it. Just keep the leaflets going out, mail local business and impress the benefits of cleaning and not replacement. By having carpets cleaned you can save your clients a lot of money if you focus on the benefits. I wrote to a hotel manager for 4 years every 3 months, their regular cleaner retired and I was first on the list. That was eight years ago and each year it has developed a very good four figure sum. I'm convinced my name was the first that popped into her head just because my name came across the desk regularly. There are several threads on leaflets and be aware it's being consistent and persistent that will bring success, you'll wear out some shoe leather and it's important to focus on the clients you want to work for. Ask anyone here and they will tell you it will take time and hard work to build a successful cleaning business be prepared for both and the best of luck.

Hope this helps.
Simon

from edge2edge

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 07:23:53 am »
Simon a very good post indeed.I think you need to almost think of yourself as two people.One who cleans carpets and the other the salesman/promoter of your business.Your example of the hotel letters is excellent because it shows that getting the big prize can take a long time but ,with persaverance(spelling not so good),these things can be achieved  Regards Alan(swindon)

grant home clean

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 09:11:49 am »
cheers simon some good information getting about 4 to 5 jobs a week at momment but like you say always try and get some extra work while im there, hopefully now summer is on way ill get more leaflets out and get more work and start sending letters out to pups and workingmen clubs cheers grant

markpowell

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 09:28:28 am »
I spoke to Doug on the phone yesterday and we were laughing at the fact that when we first started up, some weeks we would only take £40.00, you have to hang in there mate.
If i was starting again i would want £15,000 in the bank to help with the bills for the 1st year at least, that way i might still have some hair  ::)
Mark

Simon@arenaclean

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 04:21:49 pm »
You're welcome.

Mark brings up an excellent point about money in the bank, as I said I had a part time job, though it was well paid. Just don't over extend yourself. 4 or 5 jobs a week is great i'd have been really chuffed with that!

Mike Halliday

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 04:35:02 pm »
if 15 grand in the bank is a prerequisite of starting up in business, then I bet 95% of business would never see light of day!

I think desperation and debt is a fantastic motivator :D :D I know the only time I get motivated to get more work is when I'm a bit skint.

Grant aim to do a job a day, and when your not doing that job be looking for another job. I always think you should always book a job at 8am then you have to get out of bed, shave and go out the door, once the job is done you've got the rest of the day to fill with all your marketing

but you have just come through the slow time off the year, things will pick up now

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk