Simon Gerrard

Re: Why Not a Truck Mount?
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 06:21:28 pm »
Mike,
I know a lot of carpet cleaners too and a good number of them claim to be turning over in excess of £100,000 and that includes myself and by quite some margin.
The point I was making is that a twin capable Truck Mount like the Maxx 450 or 470 can very easily do over £100,000 worth of work per year.

Peter,
I couldn't disagree with you more. The vast majority of carpet cleaners in this country are full time professionals and not just people in it for pin money. As Mike has suggested, your contact with reality is somewhat off the mark but good luck to you anyway. The real truth about professional carpet cleaning is that if your not prepared to put your heart and soul into it then you will never make any money.

Simon

lands

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 06:28:19 pm »
This is an interesting slant on an ongoing debate.

My question Simon is this. How will owning a TM produce opportunities that would be missed by not owning one (not inc. fire & Flood etc), because the way I see it is this, yes a TM is quicker and produces better results (operator/techcnician dependent) but it is not a marketing tool in its own right.

If I were offered a contract that supported such an investment I would simply approach HM or the like and say right, the work is on its way in, lets work out a deal. The financial commitment without the backing of something to pay for it (and of course your Month to Month living costs)
would have to be in place or it would be like a novice violinist who was a long way off performing at the Royal Albert Hall purchasing a Stradvarius (not the best example but you see where I'm coming from.

Interested to hear your comments Simon.

Pete

Jeff Lydon/Greenie

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 06:28:44 pm »
Hi Simon,

You are forgetting that the people who work within this industry have very little money and mostly do it alongside a paying job.

Is what Peter says true?

It's not the impression I get from corresponding to cleaners on the various forums.

A good used 2nd hand TM and van is money in bank for anyone who can book two jobs a day, you will simply clean twice as fast, twice as dry, and time is money.
If your business is still growing and you have a job, keep the porty working until you can't possibly schedule all of your work...then you will know it's time...and hopefully have a stash of money to upgrade to good used TM.

As for seasoned cleaners who have decades in the trade and still can't fathom a TM....I don't know what to say?  Raise your prices and die debt free?  We have 80 yr olds still pushing wand here, a porty isn't even in their consideration, it's always a TM with an elec. hose reel and a few bits from GreenGlides to make each day tolerable.

EDIT:
"but it is not a marketing tool in its own right."

I would say it very much is.., back when I was still on the truck we frequently had phone quotes ask about truck mounted equip...actually I'd go as far as to say it was expected within my local market.

Karl Wildey

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 06:29:30 pm »
I have been using a TM for the last 9 years along side my porty. I can not use a TM on all jobs and use the porty instead, and have perfer to use the porty for upholstery cleaning, or though this is changing to the TM as time move on. (me and simon have discuss this on another forum).
Its the leap from porty to TM, or more importantly the money involved that stops most from this move.
I had spare money and brought my first tm with that, quietly crapping myself as I did that, Simon mention the contract, but I also feel if you are flat out busy than get a TM, it will save you hours a week, and you will never regret it.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 06:39:49 pm »
thing is it doesnt have to be dear truning from porty to t.m. all you need is some help ;D  which i didnt get at frist until i got my t.m. then a whole diffent world opened up and ive never looked back,  at the time of getting the t.m. we were chargeing 35 pounds a suite and 45 if you did the front room dinner as well ! so we were not earning a lot at the time

i was on the road for 5k ! thats van and a large t.m. there are deals to be had you just need to keep looking and waiting . you will get the right deal if you sit and wait  ;)

now after the t.m. as come ive spent a good few quid with new van and a full new install but im still keeping the old t.m. why because there northing wrong with it and its now in some cases earning me  100 % more then the portys and 150 % more aday so its earning it keep

as for cost , the only time i here people saying it too much is buy people thats never had a t.m.  so how would they know ? and if your  cleaning local the extra will amout to around 12 pounds per day which realy is not that bad

a small van may do 50 miles per gallen and a big van does around 25 ish (give or take) if your you doing 25 miles aday thats 5 pounds extra and maybe 7 pounds worth of red dev to run the t.m. wheres all these extra costs comeing from ?? ive havnt seen them  

then people go on about they take alot of maintaining ! do they ??  my t.m. is dogged with hours its the frist max ever in the u.k and as never been looked after in its life until i got it ,  and it still starts up on the button and the blower pulls like a train its never had anything major done to it unlike some of the portys i have

its not dear going t.m. and we can all talk ourselfs out of going  t.m. but one thing i can say ive never looked back people are more then happy to comeout with use for a few days too see what its all about and see what little we charge and still make money ! i cant say fairer then that

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2008, 06:57:07 pm »
Susan's right, many people going from portie to tm get a second hand machine, and perhaps a van thrown in too (does help if you are handy with a spanner though).

As the money builds up you get a bigger newer machine. Today there are some new entry level machines only 3k more than a high end portie, add in 4 year old transporter and you are up and running for £10-12k 

carpet_care

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2008, 06:59:13 pm »
I upgraded to a prowler in January after using portables full time for 14 years.

Always thought of excuses and reasons not to upgrade water aswhere on a water metre, petrol costs,accessability to certain jobs etc etc.

Luckily i am in a position where i am always busy and the final decision to upgrade came when my youngest brother decided he didn,t want to help any more .

Upgraded at the end of Jan and although the first few days took a bit of getting used to it I would never go back to porties out of choice.

Yes I still have jobs where I use the porties because of access ,health and safety issues with certain companies I do work for and also still bonnet clean a lot of offices but the truckmount is my first choice everytime.

I get through the work quicker and easier than I did with 2 of us full time with a portable .

And I never thought the day would come where I would be saying that.

Happy days :D :D

Andy Locke, Melling Carpet Care

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2008, 07:21:38 pm »
Pete,
With the utmost respect, you have come up with the fairly typical response to this type of question. I don't need one because xyz.
Of course a Truck Mount is a marketing tool, especially for the developing business. In my experience people are looking for something more than a guy turning up with a mickey mouse machine to clean their carpet. That doesn't mean that all portable machines are Mickey Mouse, nor is it casting aspersions as to the professional qualities or otherwise of its operator, but the fact is people don't trust people with portables anywhere near as much as they do the guy that's willing to invest in state-of-the-art equipment because they see him as a committed professional person. That's not what I say, it's what countless of my customers have said for decades, the very same customers upon which I have built my business.
From a marketing perspective you can go out there and do demos on pub, restaurant, night club carpets, THE DAY AFTER THE PORTY GUY DID IT and make sure that he never gets the business again because of all the crud he left behind.
Truck Mounts give you the edge. Truck Mounts give you the ability to clean anything, big, small, dirty, filthy. In the right hands Truck Mounts practically print money.

Simon

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2008, 07:25:30 pm »
Andy,

While Pete came out with one the commonest clichéd reasons for not owning a TM, you have just come out with the absolutely typical cliché from someone who has made the leap and not regretted for a second.

Simon

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2008, 07:42:54 pm »
Have taken a job recently that i improved on TM results with porty and Charly Pads  :o
Poor finish meant they were looking for someone new and the fact that it is now done 3 times a year instead of 4, means the residues he was leaving had been noticed ........... even the most powerful car is useless when driven by a fool  ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2008, 08:00:16 pm »
Chris,
Couldn't agree with you more and that's a really nice balance to this whole conversation because at the end of the day if you have the right attitude, the right equipment ( and that equipment doesn't have to be a TM) and the right chemicals you can do, not only a good job, but a fantastic job.
You don't do the House of Lords because you're no good at your job and hats off to you mate for that.

Simon

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2008, 08:02:19 pm »
Simon

I would be interested to know, in the old an days guys used to turn up and clean Shop Carpets with their Prochems often bring several

Are you telling me they did a bad job.?

spencer davies

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2008, 08:14:05 pm »
I am not sure that Peter's attitude lends itself to someone that should be in business, work does not drop in your lap, you have to keep moving forward, after twenty three years and going through the last recession makes me realize the importance of the following:

Marketing
Careful financial planning
Keeping overheads to a minimum
Giving your business an MOT each year
Putting up prices
Training
Embracing new technology
Investing back in the business
Taking holidays  ;)

Regards

S

MICHAEL_GAYTON

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2008, 08:21:59 pm »
I am with Mr Davies  THAT WOULD BE MY TOP TEN, wise!!!!
ULTRA 4 CLUB
four systems one operator

Doug Holloway

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2008, 08:43:11 pm »
Hi Guys

A very intersting discussion.

I have toyed with TM's for some time and having reached my half century yesterday it probably is time to invest.

I think I will try a prowler and then if I get on O.K, new van and big TM in 2 years.

I have managed to make a good living using porty's but it is now or never if I want to bite the bullet, take the dreaded VAT step and go for it.

Cheers

Doug

Len Gribble

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2008, 08:52:50 pm »
First machine Ninja (with the crap solvent cleaning system) 2nd TM as I was subbing out too much work, 3rd LM rotary.

Chris

And you passed me work (met a painter and decorator today in wrotham Kent mainly works in Chelsea tractor area can I give him your number also needs a carpet fitter do you know of any one?)

Ian

Been on jobs where there have been four TM, also other one three porty and sat down for two hours waiting for them to finish after I had.

Doug

Is that a birthday or in the cc game ;D ;D

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2008, 09:00:07 pm »
I had 2 vans using Banes (van mounted portis) but when the other cleaner got the push and I had the phone ringing off the hook the only way forward and with out employing again was to improve productivity and that's why I got a petrol TM, cleans twice as fast and leaves items drier saving me loads in wages and 2nd van insurance and NI and and and...

Shaun

spencer davies

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2008, 09:03:21 pm »
Thanks Michael,

That's nine, the other would be,

Don't waste time worrying about the competition  ;)

Regards

S

brian willis

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2008, 09:07:39 pm »

Buy a truckmount this year and get 100% capital  allowance. ;)

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2008, 09:15:09 pm »
Ian,

Sorry, you've lost me.
I did shop carpets with a Prochem steameasy and a rotary scrubber and I did the best job I could with tools at my disposal, likewise anyone else similarly equipped..

Simon