the red carpet

Re: Desperate Times
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2007, 07:23:43 pm »
You say you get most of what you quote, how many would you say you get out of ten?

I was getting 70% 7 out of 10 at prices roughly double to what you have shown

I then started higher pricing £100+ for lounge, and started getting just 50% 5 out of 10

Im debating what road to go down with pricing now as its great getting £100+ for a lounge but not much good if your sat indoors most days.

prodry

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2007, 07:46:38 pm »
Red

We get most of what we quote 100% some weeks (from the price list leaflets excluding other leaflets and other advertisng). People already have an idea on what they will be spending We just push it up a bit until we get resitance. But we won't walk away from a job unless we are seriously booked up.

Dont let the prices on the leaflets fool you, we havent cleaned a lounge for 25 ever and never will.

Whats gone wrong with your fasttrack, is it not having the resources to get it out there or other reason. dont take that the wrong way just interested to know.

Phil Marlor

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2007, 07:48:17 pm »
It's a bit misleading to work out results from leaflets in Jan/Feb/ & March, Its just not the time of year to have your carpets cleaned.

Would you emply a CC in Feb. with all the rain we have just had, I know I wouldn't, dont worry, nearly spring and then its work all the way to Xmas!

Always amazes me that I still get regular work in the 1st 3 months of the year.

Phil
Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

prodry

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2007, 07:56:01 pm »
The sun always shines in Essex Phil.

By the way Your Going Down with the Southend.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2007, 08:40:04 pm »
well we are flat out here guess thats the diffents in prices again a got beaten up about being cheap but ive still got four exels flat out  ;D and have been from the second week in jan

and with the truck mount soon too be here i cant wait  :P and im still chargeing more and getting the work !  ;D oh yes

the red carpet

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2007, 08:54:22 pm »
Be carefull, i had a Excell working flat out, then started charging more and got a truck mount thats when it all started going wrong ???

stevegunn

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2007, 09:11:15 pm »
Red

Has that been the problem you expanded too quickly?After running the exel then going to a t/m with all the extra running costs plus the payment for the t/m.I had quite a good customer base before going to a t/m and its growing because of the t/m more referrals etc etc

Paul_Ashworth

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2007, 09:56:47 pm »
Red, I think the problem may be you have put your prices up to much in one go, Did you do it gradually ?? I have been in business 12 months and have just started to inch my prices up bit by bit and we are still getting the work.

I also think it was a bad time to put your prices up as everybody says Jan to march is more quite than the rest of the year.

craigp

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2007, 10:02:23 pm »
ever tried emails, cut and paste a  "Its about cleaning your office carpet" letter and send as many out as you can, its free!

Cloverleaf

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2007, 10:28:57 pm »
Red Carpet, I think you need a little help here  :o

conallon

« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2007, 03:06:26 am »
Red

your doing good mate, your earnings for your first year were very similiar to mine

you will have a much better year two

be careful not to go to mad with prices cause you will shed a lot of customers quickly

saying that, now you've got a t/m your referals will double !

Conrad

Had a young lad come door knocking a month back, offering carpet cleaning  ;D window cleaning ect

he is now cleaning my windows once a fortnight !,so it does work, although not my cup of tea

Jason Hedges

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2007, 03:29:00 am »
Hi Red,

Been reading this post with interest. I'm approaching my 3rd year in the business so not much longer than you (wish I could afford a truckmount!). You've inspired me on many occasions with your positive posts. Since reading your post on google adwords and changing my keywords and cost per click I've had so many more displays and click throughs and have booked half a dozen jobs in through my website alone and have more pending, thanks for the advice ;D.

I was VERY quiet through January as most of us were so rang some old customers and asking if they needed anything doing (First time of ringing previous customers, dont like rejection!). After the first couple of no thanks got a bit disheartened but when the third said yes and a some more after that I'd drummed up a nice few jobs after a few hours on the phone which kept the wolves from the door.

Now picked up again round here so booked up all next week apart from Tuesday when going to cleaning show.

I've been told and know I should send out reminder letters or make calls anyway but normally got enough work to keep me busy so dont bother.

However I kept my prices the same, if I'd have tried the same with a major price rise probably wouldnt have booked any in.

As you've now got a t/m and can work faster why dont your contact existing customers offering a price freeze on your old prices but offering a better clean with your new equipment!

You can obviously do more work in less time with the t/m.

Better to be out working at you old rates and doing more jobs a day than knocking on strangers doors and being told 'no thanks'. I couldnt handle that!

It has picked up for me since the weather has improved I'm sure you'll find the same.

Hope things pick up for you!

All the best mate,

Jason.

gwrightson

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2007, 07:00:55 am »
What a load of rubbish some people talk" if you have a t/m your refferals will double" I dont think so!!
do a good job, turn up smart, be polite, be helpful and be on time.
thats when you get your referals,
why do tm owners have to try and always be better? when clearly their is no difference, perhaps speed!!! 
Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

craigp

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2007, 07:46:27 am »
You want one really, Geoff, ;D

why dont you buy one.

you dont really think a protables as good do you?

carpetguy

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2007, 08:34:19 am »
Geoff is correct in what he's saying................to fall for the illusion , that by spraying a particular brand of Aftershave , girls will be ripping your clothes off is absolute nonesense.

Same aplies to anything..........being knowledeable
                                                having experience
                                                got the biggest ( anything )

It will make no difference ( if nobody knows ) and you will only get referrals, on the results you achieve, in whatever market you're active in.
Carpet cleaning is no different, from Decorating / Landscaping / Hairdressing, etc, where results are immediate and can be judged as ............BRILLIANT / GOOD / MEDIOCRE / POOR.

It makes no difference to the client, whether someone turns up, with a Puzzi or a huge Portable, or hoses, running through accross the pavement and into the house, from a van.

YOU ARE GOING TO BE JUDGED ON WHAT YOU PRODUCE.

I have said it before and it's something everyone needs to take heed of.............JUST HOW GOOD / HOW THOROUGH / HOW CONCERNED are you, about the results you achieve.

There are very few perfectionists, out there, who give clients the dedication they would wish others to give them.

Some give a poor service and think they are much better than they really are ............others know perfectly well, that they are POOR, or  MIDDLE OF THE ROAD and are out to get the maximum ££££££££££'s for minimal effort.

The occasional one, is focussed, on QUALITY and CREDIBILITY and realises, that this only comes through achieving high standards in their sevice and getting the deserved referrals.

Problem is..........some are led to believe, they can get to the TOP ACHIEVER level in a matter of weeks, SORRY it just aint REALISTIC.

If you want to get a high volume of work and build a bank balance, YOU ARE MORE LIKELY TO DO SO, by being a TESCO or an ASDA, rather than a HARRODS.

THAT IS THE REALITY

Once you are in a position of solvency ( you don't owe anyone anything ) you can GRADUALLY raise your prices and market your business, accordingly.

Be realistic and do what you know will work.

Dan was following his own instincts last year and apparently doing pretty well, until he became convinced, that the way to go, was ............powerfull machine  / impress the clients / raise the prices, get rich.

Dan...........go back to your roots and follow your instincts............what you were doing a year ago was fine.  Just adding 10 or 20% would have kept you busy and avoided the frustration, you're going through.

1st Clean got slagged for low pricing and I was one of those who suggested a small increase would make no difference
She reluctantly followed this advice and is running to full capacity...........AND MAKING A PROFIT.

But then, why listen to me............

best of luck, whichever direction you follow, or whoever you listen to

rob

david holland

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2007, 08:47:37 am »
 carpet guy , has just summed up business totally- tesco and asda are going for the masses whilst Harrods are going for quality (perceived)

Try this

Next time your in a top end home - ask them which supermarket do they go in - normal answer of a top end home is all of them , why  because they understand money management - heinz baked beans at say Lidls is 8p cheaper compared to say Sainsburys - and normally the richer they are the more they know a bout the best daeals going on

regards

David

david holland

« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2007, 08:49:51 am »
sorry about some of the spelling mistakes !!!!

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2007, 09:00:11 am »
Daniel

You have a lot of past customers.

I am presuming you have now had a master class in surveying and selling.

Why not experiment with the Three Step Free room letter.

If you have a few spare days at present you will not loose much if you fail to get extra work.

You have to send it to the clients you think would have extra rooms done etc.

Perhaps 100 or 200 letters

Ps two of us have asked about Fast Track have you been sworn to secrecy?

carpetguy

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2007, 09:15:38 am »
Mr Holland..........

You are absolutely right in what you jut said. I was born into and have lived in one of the most affluent villages in my part of the world, with houses, not just in the milion pound range, but 3-5 million and I grew up with the kids from those wealthy people............they never had any money.

The reason was, their parents ran their homes, like a business and every penny was accounted for..........I've seen the books !

People like Branson / Bannatyne / Tom Hunter / David Murray / Michelle Mone, etc, all mega millionaires will give you a tougher time, over pricing, than your average consumer.

Whether we like it or not, the market, today, is PRICE DRIVEN and you need to be pretty damn special, to command a higher than average ticket, YES IT CAN BE DONE, but not overnight and not by 80% of the businesses.

If you aspire to the achievements, of the above, consider what they and others like them did.

Branson.............DISCOUNTED MARKETING WITH HIGH VOLUME.
Bannatyne.........MARKETED TO PEOPLES VANITY
Hunter...............JJB SPORTS.......SEE BRANSON
Murray...............FOUND A NICHE MARKET IN STEEL ( OWNS GLASGOW RANGERS )
Mone.................WONDERBRA

All of them marketed their business at the high volume markets

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2007, 09:24:43 am »
I thought Virgin Atlantic was upmarket and went more for Value Added  Extra Room etc

Do agree with you however.

When I was in Record Industry we wore suits they wore jeans