Simon Gerrard

Re: free spotters......
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2015, 07:33:18 pm »
Of course it's marketing, it's part of your marketing mix as has already been pointed out.

£1 for a spotter and give out 200, can I ask anyone but especially Mike did you get just one new job, referral or additional work from those that you gave out.

I know its a broader question than the original but its important that we don't lose sight of that fact that everyday we are marketing and selling,every day.

Yes, I can't remember the exact number but I did get some work from handing them out, but if I had walked in with nothing I bet I would have still got the same work, the spotters just gave me an introduction and reason for walking in the door..... "Hi! I just wanted to poke my nose in and give you a free bottle of stain remover "

I've done lots of free gift introductions some may remember a couple of years ago me posting about handing out free cans of  de-icer or the free newspapers or the free ice scrapers,   it's a tested marketing concept but I'm not daft I always do the maths and work out if it's cost effective. Spotters are not cost effective, they cost too much money,  why spend £100 to get £500 if I can spend the same £100 and get a £1000.

If you want your name to stay  in your customers minds then put a sticker inside the airing cupboard door, or like some do on the Hoover, or ask for thier address book and stick it in page 'C' for carpet cleaner.  stickers cost £50 a 1000, tell them...." that's my number, anytime you need me just call"

If I were actively looking for work, which I haven't need to do for donkeys years,  I wouldn't use a spotter  as an introduction, instead why not use a technique I call, 'show - don't tell.' So instead of telling people what you can do for them - show them.!! You can do this with a small spotting machine if you're into hwse and a minitex or a battery grinder type thing with a pad on it if you're into encap. That way they see what their carpets will look like when done, which far more effective than merely telling them. Only takes a few minutes and costs you nothing.

The difference between stickers and spotters is that stickers don't take stains off carpets and so a sticker is far less of a benefit to a customer.
I can't remember how many customers have commented on how good the spotter we left them was, which means they use them, gain a benefit from them and get reminded about us every time they use them.

Simon

Ian Rochester

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 05:57:12 am »
Just had this email in last night, we give away free spotters on all larger jobs:

Hi Ian

You cleaned our carpets in our 2 holiday homes in E***** back in February.  I was hoping they'd last until next February but I think some of them will need doing before then.

It's S** D**** that needs doing, that's the house just next to C*****l.  At this stage it's mainly the lounge and 2 bedroom carpets that need doing.  They are all downstairs.  The lounge is quite big but the 2 bedrooms are just normal size.   How much would we be looking at for these 3 rooms please?

Dates-wise, the house is empty from 10am on Monday 30th November until Friday 4th if that's any good. Alternatively it's empty from Monday 7th December.

We could also do with some more of that magic stain remover, it's brilliant!

Many thanks in advance

Andrea

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 08:36:54 am »
Yes indeed marketing works.

John Kelly

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2015, 08:58:38 am »
We could also do with some more of that magic stain remover, it's brilliant!
  See John Martin our p issy Microsplitter does work ;D

scott johns

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2015, 09:02:00 am »
giving away spotters is also getting the client involved in looking after her/his furnishings with out the
free spotters we give away they will turn to household products that will ruin there furnishing they will
then replace rather than reclean all of a sudden giving away a spotter for 1-2 pounds potentionaly loses
us a client and possible a days of cleaning no brainer can you really afford not to give a free spotter?

Radek Jablonski

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2015, 09:45:48 am »
Can you simply do your own spotters using any microsplitter like spm, pure clean etc?

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2015, 10:50:02 am »
giving away spotters is also getting the client involved in looking after her/his furnishings with out the
free spotters we give away they will turn to household products that will ruin there furnishing they will
then replace rather than reclean all of a sudden giving away a spotter for 1-2 pounds potentionaly loses
us a client and possible a days of cleaning no brainer can you really afford not to give a free spotter?

Not sure of your point, Scott?

Mike Halliday

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2015, 12:08:16 pm »
then replace rather than reclean all of a sudden .......NOT......giving away a spotter for 1-2 pounds potentionaly loses

Not sure of your point, Scott?

I believe He missed out the word 'not' ( as highlighted in bold) now it makes more sense in context to the rest of his post
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

jasonl

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2015, 02:44:07 pm »
Can you simply do your own spotters using any microsplitter like spm, pure clean etc?

Yes , mix up your microsplitter , order 500ml spray bottles, I pay 67pence  and buy 200 at a time, labels are printed by my signwriter ,under a pound each including labour to fill them.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Radek Jablonski

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2015, 04:21:33 pm »

Yes , mix up your microsplitter , order 500ml spray bottles, I pay 67pence  and buy 200 at a time, labels are printed by my signwriter ,under a pound each including labour to fill them.

Cheers
Will do that.
Mpower is much much better as a spotter, but mirosplitter as a free spotter is good enough.

john martin

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2015, 05:13:20 pm »
This is true . I wouldn't give anyone a 'spotter"  without a chance they could use it to remove an oily footprint for example.  Dilute Microsplitter is basically just softened water .
Something like citrus pre spray would be a propper spotter.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2015, 05:17:00 pm »
This is true . I wouldn't give anyone a 'spotter"  without a chance they could use it to remove an oily footprint for example.  Dilute Microsplitter is basically just softened water .

John,
Disagree with you on that one.
I've lost count of how many customers have said the free spotter we give them is brilliant. Lots of them ring up wanting refills, which we also provide for free!!!

Simon

scott johns

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2015, 05:58:06 pm »
thanks mike for adding word in ,was in a rush this morning just wanted to post before leaving hope it
makes sense now .I  was cleaning a tattooist  carpet today he had ink on his carpet   at the end of the job
I gave him a free spotter he was over the moon with this and said how nice it was , he also mentioned
when he tattoos someone he gives them a small jar of cream for there skin he has also booked us to
now clean his large through lounge happy days . also we have saved him from claiming for a new carpet.

john martin

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2015, 06:15:09 pm »

John,
Disagree with you on that one.
I've lost count of how many customers have said the free spotter we give them is brilliant. Lots of them ring up wanting refills, which we also provide for free!!!

Simon
They must just want a chat  .. couldn't be the spotter   ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2015, 06:20:27 pm »
Well then its mission accomplished because at least they rung me, I wonder where they got the number from? ;D ;D

Radek Jablonski

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2015, 10:06:31 pm »

Btw, not much cheaper then when your buying it from supplier, reasd spotters.

wayne zabel

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2015, 10:24:59 pm »
I haven't read all the posts on here but by giving spotters out will this not mean carpets being cleaned less often?

I do lots of jobs that have relatively clean carpets with just an odd spot here and there.

Just thinking that if I'd given out spotters I'd not be called back as often ??? ???

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2015, 10:26:40 pm »

Cheers
Will do that.
Mpower is much much better as a spotter, but mirosplitter as a free spotter is good enough.
  Hi Radek, yes i would agree spotters based on colloidal chemistry would be more effective, just imagine how many 250ml ready to use spray bottles you could produce from a 5 liter concentrate of mpower, giving one out to new customers would yield a great return and bet would guarantee plenty of new clients for you in the future.  Tadgh

john martin

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2015, 10:38:05 pm »
You could water down any surfactant Tadgh and call it effective  ,  who came up with whatever random dilution  rate is chosen for the plant detergent , can u name him , is he an expert on carpet cleaning .
*awaits vague reply about the new technology , metabolic chemistry and the universe .
Why dont you push your own  m-power  to the carpet cleaners here Tadgh ,  u have the concentrate , have u some agreement with your friend Nick not to step on his toes .
and why am i even asking like i care  :D

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2015, 10:49:08 pm »
You could water down any surfactant Tadgh and call it effective  ,  who came up with whatever random dilution  rate is chosen for the plant detergent , can u name him , is he an expert on carpet cleaning .
*awaits vague reply about the new technology , metabolic chemistry and the universe .
Why dont you push your own  m-power  to the carpet cleaners here Tadgh ,  u have the concentrate , have u some agreement with your friend Nick not to step on his toes .
and why am i even asking like i care  :D
John if you don't care then why are you asking.