mark_roberts

TM v portable
« on: December 08, 2011, 11:10:38 pm »
Havent had the TM v portable debate in a while and with the introduction of supposedly new vacuum technology for portables and along with auto feed and dump and diesel heaters or similar.

Has the time come to seriously reconsider the need for a petrol TM to clean domestic carpets given that an electric machine can equal almost all advantages apart from vacuum of a TM.

Thanks
Mark

Simon Gerrard

Re: TM v portable
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 11:16:46 pm »
Don't be silly.
Doesn't matter what gizmos they add to a bucket on wheels, it will never out perform, clean as well, or as quickly and efficiently as a TM.
Right, that's stirred things up nicely, I'm off ;D

Doug Holloway

Billy Russell

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 12:15:32 am »
Don't be silly.
Doesn't matter what gizmos they add to a bucket on wheels, it will never out perform, clean as well, or as quickly and efficiently as a TM.
Right, that's stirred things up nicely, I'm off ;D

What he said!!!!  ;D ;D

Jim_77

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 01:40:43 am »
I refer the right honourable gentleman to the previous 256,000 threads on the subject!!!!

neil 47

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 07:43:52 am »
Both do the same job one at the low end of the scale the other the high end .

so if you have  x number off customers that need cleaning in y number off hours to clean them = z amount off hours needed.  then on a sliding scale off A being the lowest machine possible  and z being the highest machine possible when x number  possible with A then you need to move on to the next level ,to you get to max number x and z machine is reached simple really   ;D
IICRC

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 07:57:15 am »
My mate Glynn was telling me about his recent experience with a porty (yes, we all have one), he said the effing thing couldn't suck the smoke off a fAg. He said a few other things about it to but are unrepeatable on here. ;D

neil 47

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 08:08:15 am »
Simon is it about your ego or is it about making Money . what drives your internal id having one bigger than the next guy , I think this size issue is a thing that is playing on your mind  ;D ;D
IICRC

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 08:12:32 am »
Simon is it about your ego or is it about making Money . what drives your internal id having one bigger than the next guy , I think this size issue is a thing that is playing on your mind  ;D ;D
Neil,
You're quite right, it is about making money, you can make a lot more of it with a TM ;)

Colin Day

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 08:13:20 am »
I still couldn't justify having a TM... Unless you can clean ovens with one... ;D

I got the heat, the psi from the electro-diesel "Zeta" and the suction to do a cracking job from the fantastic Jaguar 6.6, but.... I know someone who has a Numatic CDT machine, he's a lot busier than me and his customer's are happy. He's making more money than me as a result. Says it all really, I'm almost embarrassed that I thought I was better than him because I have a more powerful set up... How wrong can you be? :(

AJB

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 08:17:29 am »
Colin has summed it up perfectly

It means sod all what you've got,
It's what you do with it!
www.ajbcarpetcleaning.co.uk
At the end of the day a Satisfied Customer is all that counts, They'll come back and so will their friends!!!

Colin Day

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 08:19:57 am »
Neil,
You're quite right, it is about making money, you can make a lot more of it with a TM ;)

You "CAN", but that doesn't necessarily mean you do. Customers are more price concious than ever so they aren't bothered that the TM guy has to charge more than the guy with the Karcher "Sud Squirter" They wouldn't know a Rug Doctor from a Titan to be fair....

mike roberts

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 08:27:41 am »
Thats right buy a TM ..... theeeere greaaat... tie up one of your biggest investments - van - so that you cant offer other services (which pay far better + reg work - not booked one day in advance ;D ;D ;D)  Bye  ;D im off  ....

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 08:35:28 am »
No...no..NO! Don't buy a TM, they are crap, honest!

Rug Doctors rule ;D

wynne jones

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 08:51:42 am »
Why even bother with a hi- power portable? There are quite a few people who make a good living with a 2nd hand scrubber thrown in the back of their estate car and as far as the customer is concerned they have cleaned the carpet.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Colin Day

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 10:14:44 am »
No...no..NO! Don't buy a TM, they are crap, honest!

Rug Doctors rule ;D

I would never say a TM is crap, of course they aren't crap. Being a carpet cleaner, I can fully appreciate the fact that they DO make your life so much easier, that's a given...

Rug Doctor's ARE crap, but have you ever tried telling a Rug Doctor user that, they refuse to believe you.

A friend of ours uses a Bissel and cleans her carpets every 3 weeks (OCD, big time) She let me have a go yesterday with her rug (Oh Matron!) so I could prove a point and she said she still thinks her Bissel does just as good a job....
>:(
 Bloody Philistine ;D

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 11:24:30 am »
I use a twin porty but I only do domestic nowadays.
If I did a load of commercial it would have to be a TM.
Horses for courses.
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

Paul H

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 11:56:06 am »
i lost out on a job the other week to a chap with a TM.... not on power performance cleanability etc... ON PRICE...he was cheaper!... and i dont consider myself expensive!....

jasonl

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 12:18:18 pm »
I know someone who clears £800+ per week with a transit connect working 40-50 hours as a courier , the van cost him 11k .

I have a neighbour who makes £300 a week with a merc actros 460bhp  tractor unit he double shifts with his brother pulling containers from ports to warehouses, his truck cost him £65k plus vat .
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings