Marti

That's the reply I recently got 2 x months ago from Brian at Extracta when I was enquiring about chemicals and cleaning methods.

Previous to this comment & to the information I received, I stocked a huge range of chemicals on board my van, you name it I had it all, but this cost a lot of money and was eating away at my profits.

Now I only carry:-

Detergent
Pre-spray de-greaser
de-foam
master stain remover
solvent (now only white spirit)
deodoriser

I also have ditched the sebo duo agitator for a manual brush which I have found a lot better at agitating the pre-spray in & quicker plus I don't have to sit there cleaning the brushes everytime   ::)

As well as all that, I've changed the way I clean carpets. Everything now goes in the tank, I use my hand tool to pre-spray the carpet direct from my machines tank, agitate with my manual brush, leave for 15 mins, then extract using 400psi at 70 degrees, groom pile and using this method I've noticed a massive difference in the quality of my work. The other plus side is that it much much quicker than my old method. Note: no expensive rinsing.

What am I trying to say?

To any newbie reading all these posts on here, forget about ph, forget about all the technical jargon, rinsing, doing courses, etc, you just don't need it because it's only carpet cleaning.

Using M Power to clean this and Nemisus to clean that, using power burst, double clean, its all a load of nonsense, just obtain a really good detergent like Ultimate master, that's all you need.

I wonder how many people that don't post on here but read this are now sitting at home nodding their heads   :-X 

And the prices that some of you dreamers are reported to be charging.

Get your feet back down to earth & have a reality check - we are only carpet cleaners!

jasonl

Re: "They're just trying to make cleaning carpet into a science..."
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 08:54:40 pm »
Agreed , though to keep a family , and to have a sustainable  business , you would need 6-900/ week turnover = £50 plus/ hour whilst cleaning.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Pristine Clean

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 08:56:53 pm »
Wow!

Not sure if that is actual common sense and truthful. Or edging on the edge of dangerous. What about all the gimmiks, the marketing hype....

Oh and the big earners wont like what you said there.... I am alright as I am not a huge earner compared to some of the posters on here.

I will say this, it nice to see someone with some balls for a change.

Ill add here what about a porty and a TM then, whats your opinion here..?

Best of luck

Dave
"You have to except that some days you are the statue and other days you are a pigeon"

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 08:58:05 pm »
First post and basically advertising ;D
Do I smell a rat or will ultimate master cure it ;D

Matt Lindus

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 09:15:13 pm »
I too agree. Most on here have a BA Hons in talking Bull S**t. The real fact is they all live in teniments [two up two down], have dangerous dogs and wear tracksuits tucked into their trainers.

Thats me for tonight.

Matt

Marti

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 09:17:31 pm »

Ill add here what about a porty and a TM then, whats your opinion here..?

Best of luck

Dave

My opinion is this:-

TM's are ok for commercial jobs with easy access but how many of them does one actually get in a week/month??

I know a guy who just sold his TM to get a Porty, why? because he was fed up in passing on work to a porty operator ie flats, 7 floors up, city jobs where parking is difficult etc.

Lets be honest, do you really want a noisy van going outside your house for hours on end disturbing the neighbours, with hoses sprawled across the garden, front door wide open, I know I wouldn't.

Why spend £1,000's on a bit of kit you can't use 80% of the time, when you can use a decent porty and do the same job for a fraction of the cost.

And no I'm NOT advertising anything but that's the detergent I use.

jasonl

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 09:19:40 pm »
I too agree. Most on here have a BA Hons in talking Bull S**t. The real fact is they all live in teniments [two up two down], have dangerous dogs and wear tracksuits tucked into their trainers.

Thats me for tonight.

Matt

Most people from here whose house I have visited are in the 300k plus bracket with flash cars too.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

wynne jones

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 09:23:59 pm »
Mr M. Power LOL

Either he has a Beemer or a sense of humour.  ;D

I rarely get a job I can't do with a truck. If I do I am very happy to let someone woth a porty who needs the work do it. ;D
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Colin Day

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 09:49:05 pm »
I agree Mr Power, with everything you say... :-\

Love the name BTW, very amusing thread too ;D

Matt Lindus

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 09:53:42 pm »

Thats me for tonight.

Matt

Most people from here whose house I have visited are in the 300k plus bracket with flash cars too.

Come off it. An NCCA training course looks like a shelter for the homeless, minus the soup and the rolls.

Sam Davies

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 09:54:49 pm »
I only use power burst double clean and fibre and fabric rinse,I think ultimate master is only good for curtains.I use 100 psi blah blah degrees and a manual brush to aggitate.Horses for courses mate.And I live in a3 bed semi.
But I know what you mean arry.

cleanability

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 10:14:34 pm »
Well knock me down with a feather cor blimey................ at last!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lolllllllllllll Some sense. Most of the clowns on here think its brain surgery or splitting the atom. Ive wasted hundreds of pounds with advice I foolishly took after going on here. Like Ive said before ITS CARPET CLEANING not nuclear fission. Its one of the most unskilled jobs going that pays well   lolllllllllll

Chris

Dave Roberts

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 10:22:52 pm »

It's not even as hard as you're making it sound Martin Power ........ if you use a rotary!

;D

Sam Davies

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 10:56:05 pm »
Martin stop getting scientific

Peter_Jones

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 01:47:01 am »
The OP is talking absolute sense. For over 5 years I have used Power Burst or Double Clean on absolutely every domestic carpet, usually sprayed on, agitated with a brush and then clean water extracted. Some carpets have been harder to clean than others but I have managed to pull through on every job. I have a paint/oil/grease but little else.

I've never done a fibre test and wouldn't know how to. I've never done a colour test either. Just keep it simple, don't over-wet the carpet and give it a thorough extraction. A great deal of my customers are repeat business, I get to see the same carpets over and again, they haven't shrunk, faded, rotted away or become a pile of radioactive ash with my methods. When you listen to some of the posters on here you'd think that you could damage a carpet simply by walking into a customer's house wearing the wrong aftershave.

It really is a load of ****

robert meldrum

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 06:30:30 am »
Fascinating .......................Now will the REAL ( M POWER ) stand up !

Colin Day

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 08:53:15 am »
I can perform just about any DIY task, fix just about any household appliance, paint and decorate and also achieve a bit of car mechanics.......

BUT, I wouldn't go around posing as a joiner, household appliance technician, painter and decorator or car mechanic because I am not insured to do so and not qualified.

99.99% of all people can use a RD to soak their carpets, but the clever ones get us guys in to do a "professional" job.

I imagine that a few posters on here are NOT insured, to match their wishy washy attitude they are projecting to our livelyhoods. You are a ticking time bomb and I doubt very much you'd ever have the decency to admit any big mistakes you've ever made.

JandS

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 10:12:18 am »
He has a few good points.
I started out buying different chemicals for this and that.
Then I realised that Powerburst for pre spray and Double
Clean or F and F for rinse will do.
Upholstery I just use Craftex upholstery pre spray, agitate
and a hot fresh water rinse, maybe a drop of DC in the tank
if it's a minger.
Never actually bothered doing a flame test or a colour test
even though I was shown how to.
I've never shrunk a carpet and the only ones I have turned
down have been because they were so badly trashed they
weren't worth it.
Same with upholstery.
As for prices some on here do say they charge high, whether
they actually do or not I don't know but good luck to them.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Peter_Jones

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 10:50:25 am »
I can perform just about any DIY task, fix just about any household appliance, paint and decorate and also achieve a bit of car mechanics.......

BUT, I wouldn't go around posing as a joiner, household appliance technician, painter and decorator or car mechanic because I am not insured to do so and not qualified.

99.99% of all people can use a RD to soak their carpets, but the clever ones get us guys in to do a "professional" job.

I imagine that a few posters on here are NOT insured, to match their wishy washy attitude they are projecting to our livelyhoods. You are a ticking time bomb and I doubt very much you'd ever have the decency to admit any big mistakes you've ever made.

There's nothing "professional" about cleaning carpets. It's not a profession, it's barely even a trade and it's certainly not a skill.

I assume you can wire a plug up just as well as an electrician and I am sure you can put up a shelf with the same competency as a joiner, even if you aren't qualified to do it.

I am not exactly sure when this "ticking time bomb" that you talk about is going to go off but it seems that it's been ticking for a lot of years.

There's nothing skilled about cleaning carpets, it can be learned in a day.

Dave Roberts

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 11:37:52 am »

It IS learned in a day on the Extracta Training Course I went on!  I'm not dissing it, it was a good introduction, with a good bloke of a tutor (Paul, from A1 Valet in Teeside) with a cracking sense of humour.  But there is more to learn that what was trained on the 1 day course.   Cleaning a carpet; sure you could learn in a day but spot treatment needs a little more.  That's what I've found any way.  Any 'expertise' or 'professionalism' comes into play in the minority of jobs but it still comes into play.

If it is that easy and non-professional though, why did I earn an ADVANCED certificate in carpet & upholstery cleaning on the 1 day course at Extracta?

It's no good alluding to professionalism when it suits, and a unskilled job when it doesn't.  :)

Colin Day

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 12:37:10 pm »

There's nothing "professional" about cleaning carpets. It's not a profession, it's barely even a trade and it's certainly not a skill.

I assume you can wire a plug up just as well as an electrician and I am sure you can put up a shelf with the same competency as a joiner, even if you aren't qualified to do it.

I am not exactly sure when this "ticking time bomb" that you talk about is going to go off but it seems that it's been ticking for a lot of years.

I agree with a lot of what you say.....

Answer me this.... Are you insured? If so, that's good, at least you taking one part of your business seriously.

Dave Roberts

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 12:46:57 pm »

I think it's like any industry; you get what you pay for.  If you want to pay a relatively small amount of money for someone with no expertise or who sees their work as 'unskilled' then you can.   If you want to pay for a quality service, insured & guaranteed, and where consideration is given to your carpet type, requirements, etc, then you can get a 'professional service'.

The people who say there is zero skill, only 2 chems needed, etc, etc, are not a new phenomena; splash & dash crews have been around for a long time.

fitz2kleen

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 01:36:22 pm »
Ok ive sat here long enough reading what rubbish some have written,undermining carpet cleaning as a skill.
These are the people that roam the streets cleaning carpets for a fiver a room and go around the corner to the nearest pub.
I spent a weeks on a residential training course being certified as a fire and flood restoration technician and carpet upholstery cleaner,
training in all aspects of fire and flood restoration,fibre identification,stain removal upholstery cleaning, so that I can safley enter a clients property deal with the problem at hand without causing more damage ie: shrinking carpets // removing stains rather than leaving a nice bleached patch where the stain was.
I pride myself on the knewledge I have and pick up as I go along and find comments like this insulting.
Yes its not rocket science.
any tom,dick or m.power can shrink a carpet.
While I dont sit here bigging the industry up I certanly dont agree that any tom dick or harry can cc and to that end if you feel you need to belittle the industry in this way its time you got out of it.
Marc

absolutecleaning

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 01:44:31 pm »
Agreed Marc and its some of these people who moan that they're not able to obtain high enough prices or say "no-one would pay that round here" ::)

Peter_Jones

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 02:16:35 pm »
Ok ive sat here long enough reading what rubbish some have written,undermining carpet cleaning as a skill.
These are the people that roam the streets cleaning carpets for a fiver a room and go around the corner to the nearest pub.
I spent a weeks on a residential training course being certified as a fire and flood restoration technician and carpet upholstery cleaner,
training in all aspects of fire and flood restoration,fibre identification,stain removal upholstery cleaning, so that I can safley enter a clients property deal with the problem at hand without causing more damage ie: shrinking carpets // removing stains rather than leaving a nice bleached patch where the stain was.
I pride myself on the knewledge I have and pick up as I go along and find comments like this insulting.
Yes its not rocket science.
any tom,dick or m.power can shrink a carpet.
While I dont sit here bigging the industry up I certanly dont agree that any tom dick or harry can cc and to that end if you feel you need to belittle the industry in this way its time you got out of it.
Marc

Well I've never done a training course, shrunk a carpet or bleached one. So where does that leave your argument?

For the record I've cleaned carpets that have cost the owners over £180K and been paid over £2K for a day's work by a local school. This is not a boast as they are extremes but it just puts it into perspective that training courses are not needed in order to be successful at cleaning carpets. And I stand by my statement that it's not a profession or a skilled trade as those two things cannot be acquired (IMHO) in some extremely short training course.

There are cowboys around for sure - and plenty in my area, I've seen their "work" it's shocking. I leave them to it, they don't last long and are only good for my business if anything. Virtually all my work is via referral so my marketing cost are minimal. Maybe they wouldn't ask me back if I told them I didn't have my GCSE in carpet cleaning  ::)

Peter_Jones

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 02:21:23 pm »

I think it's like any industry; you get what you pay for.  If you want to pay a relatively small amount of money for someone with no expertise or who sees their work as 'unskilled' then you can.   If you want to pay for a quality service, insured & guaranteed, and where consideration is given to your carpet type, requirements, etc, then you can get a 'professional service'.

The people who say there is zero skill, only 2 chems needed, etc, etc, are not a new phenomena; splash & dash crews have been around for a long time.

Just for you David I uploaded a video just now from a job I've just done. Sorry, it's the 90 degrees the wrong way around, I was holding my phone the wrong way :-)

This is a short vid of the first pass of two needed to totally clean that carpet. Could you explain why my customer should have paid twice as much to someone who'd "been on a course" in order to get a visibly identical result?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT4MTCPjPRY

Mike Halliday

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2010, 02:26:09 pm »
I've been training a new employee for the past 3 weeks during that time I've been using any commercial jobs to let him practice wanding a carpet i would say in total he has done half a day (4hrs) actual wanding. he still cannot do it right, he misses bits, leaves areas unfinished & too wet ( he can't judge how many dry strokes it needs)

he still cannot judge if an area needs more pre=spray or scrubbing.

if he does stairs he still over spray all over the wall.

I talk about chemicals & chemistry  as we drive between jobs but if I asked him to prepare the pre spray for a job he would still be uncertain and no way would he know how to identify or remove a stain.

this is after working 3 week (6days a week) with an experianced carpet cleaner explaining everything..

how can anyone learn to clean proffesionally carpets in a day ??? ??? its not possible.

and this guy is x forces and is very switched on and keen... not a thicko
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Mike Halliday

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2010, 02:31:10 pm »
Peter that is a good video, even though its on its side and not full screen.

it still show an impressive result I'm impressed with the wonderwand, it shows no wand marks or streaking, a perfect result in a single pass

Peter_Jones

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2010, 02:34:45 pm »
Peter that is a good video, even though its on its side and not full screen.

it still show an impressive result I'm impressed with the wonderwand, it shows no wand marks or streaking, a perfect result in a single pass

Thanks Mike.  :D

Joe H

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2010, 02:37:03 pm »
It was interesting to see a PUSH wonderwand as well.
I have had a wonderwand, but I choose the "conventional" pull wonderwand.
I did try the push, but it just seemed odd. Suppose would have got used to it.

richy27

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2010, 03:32:42 pm »
looks an impressive videoi used a wonder wand for a considerable amount of time and although drying times were good with this tool i was not convinced about how well it flushed the pile

garry22

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2010, 03:34:51 pm »
Joe,

I've got one of the older (4 jet) push wands.

Much easier on the back when pushing rather than pulling.

Dave Roberts

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2010, 04:01:41 pm »
Just for you David I uploaded a video just now from a job I've just done. Sorry, it's the 90 degrees the wrong way around, I was holding my phone the wrong way :-)

This is a short vid of the first pass of two needed to totally clean that carpet. Could you explain why my customer should have paid twice as much to someone who'd "been on a course" in order to get a visibly identical result?

Peter, good work for sure. But that's not an example of the sort of work I was talking about that needs training and 'professional' experience.  Yes straightforward 'cleaning' can be achieved mainly through the equipment and doesn't require deep-seated theoretical training.  I was more talking about special jobs like removing certain types of spots that won't go with the pass of any wand (because it's not detergent or alkalines that will remove them).   Or the experience of an eye that can spot a true velvet suite and know not to wet it.   To be fair, I did say above that these cases are the minorities.   Dave.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2010, 04:14:24 pm »
Hi Guys

Although Martin Power is probably a spoof, I will respond to the general question.

As someone who is probably more scientific than most, it is obvious that cleaning is a science and anyone suggesting otherwise is ignorant, in the traditional use of the word!

There is no doubt that you can clean a carpet effectively by following instructions but if you want to be able to think for yourself and solve problems which are not covered by these instuctions then you need to know the chemistry and physics.

In my early days I used to deal a lot with Brian and I think his approach to technical improvement is illustrated by the Extracta machines being virually identical to the range I used to use 20 years ago.

Among any group of people there will be those happy to plod along and those who seek continual improvement, the majority being inbetween.

I earn money now that I would not have believed possible even 5 years ago, it's all about attitude.

Cheers

Doug

Dave Roberts

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2010, 04:36:30 pm »
Brilliant post Doug. Couldn't agree more.  I didn't want to put Brian / Extracta down because they helped me in the early days too but the (sad) fact is they are living in a different age.  I mean, compare an Extracta Excel at £2,150+VAT and an Airflex or Scorpian at the same price.... unbelievable!   and that's without mentioning the aesthetics!

If we didn't progress, we wouldn't have some of the crackingly good plant-based chems coming through now that are much better for the planet and for our kids, when they rub their faces into the carpet.   Regardless of what people here may think of SolutionsUK, if you have kids, would you rather they were playing on a carpet cleaned with M-Power two hours ago, or one cleaned with Power Burst or Super Chem ............  just my view.  Trust me I'm no eco warrior.

Marti

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2010, 04:59:37 pm »

You can dress it up as much as you like but the true facts still stand!!

Peter_Jones

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2010, 06:04:27 pm »
Hi Guys

Although Martin Power is probably a spoof, I will respond to the general question.

As someone who is probably more scientific than most, it is obvious that cleaning is a science and anyone suggesting otherwise is ignorant, in the traditional use of the word!

There is no doubt that you can clean a carpet effectively by following instructions but if you want to be able to think for yourself and solve problems which are not covered by these instuctions then you need to know the chemistry and physics.

You may consider it a science Doug, but then so is switching on a light bulb. Carpet cleaning is so incredibly easy if you have half a brain to start with, that it's a little unfair to compare it to other lines of work that may actually require some sort of higher education accomplishments.

A small example - 2 or 3 years ago I was faced with a rust stain on a carpet that the customer wanted removing. I said, hang on a minute, looked it up on Google on my mobile phone, nipped down to the shop to get a lemon and some salt and removed the stain.

That's not science Doug, it's kid's stuff. All it takes is a little initiative, we're not trying to split the atom here, or create a perpetual motion device. It really is as basic as it gets.

Another example - Indian restaurant last week, I posted here on the forums as to recommendations, I was pointed in the direction of Enz-All. I could have just as easily phoned Chemspec or whoever and asked their recommended solution, it doesn't make me a scientist and it doesn't make what I do scientific. All it takes is the ability to use a mobile phone and then follow instructions.

For the record here's the pic of the carpet in question part way through the first pass done with Enz-All, after that a light spray with Power Burst and another rinse and it was in immaculate condition and all done in before you'd have got your kit of test tubes and microscopes out of the van.

Carpet cleaning is much like prostitution, it's good money, crap work, anyone can do it, and you can huff and puff as much as you like but it's the end result that counts.

brencarpetman

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2010, 06:25:00 pm »
Hi Guys

You may consider it a science Doug, but then so is switching on a light bulb. Carpet cleaning is so incredibly easy if you have half a brain to start with, that it's a little unfair to compare it to other lines of work that may actually require some sort of higher education accomplishments.

A small example - 2 or 3 years ago I was faced with a rust stain on a carpet that the customer wanted removing. I said, hang on a minute, looked it up on Google on my mobile phone, nipped down to the shop to get a lemon and some salt and removed the stain.

That's not science Doug, it's kid's stuff. All it takes is a little initiative, we're not trying to split the atom here, or create a perpetual motion device. It really is as basic as it gets.

Another example - Indian restaurant last week, I posted here on the forums as to recommendations, I was pointed in the direction of Enz-All. I could have just as easily phoned Chemspec or whoever and asked their recommended solution, it doesn't make me a scientist and it doesn't make what I do scientific. All it takes is the ability to use a mobile phone and then follow instructions.

For the record here's the pic of the carpet in question part way through the first pass done with Enz-All, after that a light spray with Power Burst and another rinse and it was in immaculate condition and all done in before you'd have got your kit of test tubes and microscopes out of the van.

Carpet cleaning is much like prostitution, it's good money, crap work, anyone can do it, and you can huff and puff as much as you like but it's the end result that counts.

Just love your analogy Peter.
Have to agree with you and great job on that restaurant.
Go on da Leeds

Peter_Jones

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2010, 06:26:50 pm »
Thanks Bren  :)

Marti

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2010, 06:42:51 pm »

Couldn't have put it better myself   ;D ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2010, 06:46:46 pm »
peter with  the examples you give are you saying that carpet cleaning is easy because you can just search google or ask someone else anything you need to know?

this is ok when you know what to search & what to ask but what happens when you type into google  'dark purple stain with a bit of orange round the edges' or try phoning Chemspec and describing a  type of funny looking roughish carpet and asking how to clean it.

that picture is good, but now you've posted it here  be prepared to now see it on other peoples website :o :o :o

Marti

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2010, 07:07:19 pm »
peter with  the examples you give are you saying that carpet cleaning is easy because you can just search google or ask someone else anything you need to know?

this is ok when you know what to search & what to ask but what happens when you type into google  'dark purple stain with a bit of orange round the edges' or try phoning Chemspec and describing a  type of funny looking roughish carpet and asking how to clean it.

that picture is good, but now you've posted it here  be prepared to now see it on other peoples website :o :o :o

Ummm, all carpets are cleaned the same way, so why would he need to ask how to clean it? That's why it aint rocket science.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2010, 07:11:16 pm »
the reason i said' 'roughish type of carpet' |i was hinting at a natural seagrass, but like you say all carpet are cleaned the same way ::) ::)

Peter_Jones

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2010, 07:14:42 pm »

this is ok when you know what to search & what to ask but what happens when you type into google  'dark purple stain with a bit of orange round the edges'

Well in that instance I'd just phone you  ;D

But seriously - I've never come across a stain like that in the last 6 years so I'm prepared to tackle it head on when I do.

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2010, 07:44:40 pm »
I cant understand why you'd want to belittle your work and business?? Thats exactly what your doing with your comments i.e. Mark Power, Marti, Peter Jones (defo not the one from the Dragons Den lol) etc etc
And MORE importantly calling all carpet cleaners monkeys with a couple of brains cells to rub together basicly!

Comparing carpet cleaning with prostitution is unbelievable! I mean, why come to a niche forum, full of hard working carpet cleaners just to slag us off? I dont see the point? What is your intentions? We'd all turn round and see the light!? lol

There's a chap called Andy C (i think) that was saying the same thing in another post. Saying that any monkey can do it and how its easy work. Oh he also mentioned that he can no longer clean a carpet due to being bed bound with severe back problems... Need I say more!

Its funny how its all these new users that come up with these "crazy" posts. Why hide behind a fake username for god sake! Just say what you feel, the worse that can happen is we'll just laugh at you :) Man up and stop being a woose!!

Colin Day

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2010, 08:09:31 pm »
I'm lost now.... ??? Who exactly is claiming they are chemists or professors ???

This is just one of those wind up threads isn't it...

I don't believe for one minute those restaurant carpets were done by you Peter.

Get off your Rug Doctor and milk your cow..... yeeeee-haaaaa! ;D ;D ;D

fitz2kleen

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2010, 08:22:41 pm »
I cant understand why you'd want to belittle your work and business?? Thats exactly what your doing with your comments i.e. Mark Power, Marti, Peter Jones (defo not the one from the Dragons Den lol) etc etc
And MORE importantly calling all carpet cleaners monkeys with a couple of brains cells to rub together basicly!

Comparing carpet cleaning with prostitution is unbelievable! I mean, why come to a niche forum, full of hard working carpet cleaners just to slag us off? I dont see the point? What is your intentions? We'd all turn round and see the light!? lol

There's a chap called Andy C (i think) that was saying the same thing in another post. Saying that any monkey can do it and how its easy work. Oh he also mentioned that he can no longer clean a carpet due to being bed bound with server back problems... Need I say more!

Its funny how its all these new users that come up with these "crazy" posts. Why hide behind a fake username for god sake! Just say what you feel, the worse that can happen is we'll just laugh at you :) Man up and stop being a woose!!

Well said Tony, bunch of wind up merchants who obviously have no work to do and are feeling a little bored.
Long may they continue in their poor workmanship , idiots like these keep us in work, putting right there shoddy work!

Colin Day

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2010, 08:31:32 pm »
"Long may they continue in their poor workmanship , idiots like these keep us in work, putting right there shoddy work!"

Couldn't have put it better myself....

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2010, 08:44:11 pm »
Just common sense anit it  ;)
I actualy wrote more but had to edit  ::) Its not good to bite your tonuge all the time, its a phycological healthy thing to stand your ground or in this case say "Holt!!! dont talk rubbish" lol

Plus i was out drinking last night after a fringe gig, and working all today!  :-\ So feelin a bit rattie! Got a throat like a junkies carpet!

Peter_Jones

« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2010, 08:46:26 pm »

Are you a betting man Colin? :-)

Dave Roberts

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2010, 08:52:48 pm »

I do believe they were done by Peter ........ but hey ho, couldn't everyone here post their 'glory moments'?   We all have them (as well as the carpets that don't come up as well as expected).     What does it prove?    Don't see how it proves that it's easy or difficult.

There is some substance to simplifying what we do; it's healthy.  but when people started saying "all carpets are cleaned the same", I jumped off the bus!  :)

If you think all carpets are cleaned the same; you clearly aren't a professional carpet cleaner of any semblance. 

Peter_Jones

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2010, 09:00:41 pm »
David, the problem is, and my major gripe is that there is no such thing as a professional carpet cleaner. It is not a profession.

Colin Day

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2010, 09:03:35 pm »

Not really, how you gonna prove it ;D ;D ;D

jasonl

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2010, 09:05:51 pm »
Carpet cleaning is a service with relatively low skill levels,   being a small business person is a profession .  The skill is in running a business.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Peter_Jones

« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2010, 09:08:45 pm »

I'll show you my wand if you show me yours ;D

fitz2kleen

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2010, 09:09:46 pm »
Time for me to log off guys before i say something i get banned for. :-X

jasonl

« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2010, 09:11:27 pm »
Carpet cleaning is a service with relatively low skill levels,   being a small business person is a profession .  The skill is in running a business.

3 DAYS OF TRAINING ,one simple test and you can be at the top level of the trade association, hardly a profession.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

richy27

« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2010, 09:13:51 pm »
no going to get involved in this debate but just to clarify the definition of a prof is

•engaged in a profession or engaging in as a profession or means of livelihood; "the professional man or woman possesses distinctive qualifications

I regard myself as a professional but by no means an expert as i believe that would be too much of an expansive statement.

You never stop learning

Colin Day

« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2010, 09:16:27 pm »

I'll show you my wand if you show me yours ;D

No way, that's just so Gay!!! ;D

Marti

« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2010, 09:25:26 pm »

If you think all carpets are cleaned the same; you clearly aren't a professional carpet cleaner of any semblance. 

I may not be a professional, but I've been carpet cleaning for 24 years and have always used the same method to clean a carpet. If I was doing something wrong I would have gone out of business long ago.

Are you a professional because you've attended courses? 

:P

fitz2kleen

« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2010, 09:39:19 pm »
thought id pop in and see whats happened since i looked in last
been a busy day dealing with a flood,couple of carpet cleans and removing a kids biro artwork from a carpet and suite the joys aye  [the little rat hadnt even spelt 'hello' correct].
btw mike gizza bell ive worked with a couple of ex squaddies will give u a heads up on how to get em to remember what ya tell em:)
Some great helpful ppl on this forum been around for a while bit like hola hoops ' they are round and stayin around' the fly bye will just fade like west hams bubbles :)
just share an image i have......... 'shrink carpet ................ make the room fit the carpet ...............SORTED :)
regards Marc

Marti

« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2010, 09:52:10 pm »
thought id pop in and see whats happened since i looked in last
been a busy day dealing with a flood,couple of carpet cleans and removing a kids biro artwork from a carpet and suite the joys aye  [the little rat hadnt even spelt 'hello' correct].
btw mike gizza bell ive worked with a couple of ex squaddies will give u a heads up on how to get em to remember what ya tell em:)
Some great helpful ppl on this forum been around for a while bit like hola hoops ' they are round and stayin around' the fly bye will just fade like west hams bubbles :)
just share an image i have......... 'shrink carpet ................ make the room fit the carpet ...............SORTED :)
regards Marc

Let me know if anyone can make real sense of this post please???

Colin Day

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2010, 09:55:12 pm »
Marti... Are you being in a bad mood 'cos you're quiet at the moment? You seem angry, do we need to introduce you to "Tosh" the Geordie Jap Windy?  :-*

Sam Davies

« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2010, 09:57:33 pm »
YOUR A NUTTER ,BUT I LIKE YOU.

Marti

« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2010, 09:58:29 pm »
Marti... Are you being in a bad mood 'cos you're quiet at the moment? You seem angry, do we need to introduce you to "Tosh" the Geordie Jap Windy?  :-*

Nothing wrong here. Just certain people don't like to know the truth. Interesting thread though dont you think?

Are they embarrassed about being just carpet cleaners?

Marti

« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2010, 09:59:00 pm »

Colin, he's calling you a nutter lol....

fitz2kleen

fitz2kleen

« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2010, 10:01:19 pm »

Nothing wrong here. Just certain people don't like to know the truth. Interesting thread though dont you think?

Are they embarrassed about being just carpet cleaners?

Actually im a fire and flood restorator [[ possibly proffessional]] just havent retored the rocket in the science class yet ........cant find a course 4 it :D

« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2010, 10:04:33 pm »
WHICH PART DIDNT YOU UNDERSTAND?

He didn't understand the part about this thread just being a wind up (a bit like I said right at the beginning).

THE WHOLE IRRELEVANT DAM POST KN@B CHITE!!    >:(

Ah here we go, from wind up to insults.
Cracking start to your time on here.

Sam Davies

« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2010, 10:07:44 pm »
Missed a post, sorry, fitz2kleens a nutter.You are just bitter and twisted because some of the extremely clever doctors on this forum make 600000 pounds a year cleaning carpets.

fitz2kleen

« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2010, 10:10:07 pm »
Missed a post, sorry, fitz2kleens a nutter.You are just bitter and twisted because some of the extremely clever doctors on this forum make 600000 pounds a year cleaning carpets.

I resemble that remark  ;D

Sam Davies

« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2010, 10:24:11 pm »
.That’s Marti I’m talking to, but only in jest .We have all got our own ideas and   opinions. But in the words of the film rain man Dustin Hoffman   recited the words. Of cause I’m an excellent carpet cleaner.

Colin Day

« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2010, 10:30:23 pm »
Interesting thread though dont you think?

Yeah... As long as it isn't taken seriously..... ;D ;D :P

fitz2kleen

« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2010, 10:50:31 pm »
Interesting thread though dont you think?

Yeah... As long as it isn't taken seriously..... ;D ;D :P

seriously... i think some people here are in the wrong job, the character assessment of my state of mind is more accurate than their carpet cleaning technics.

Dave Roberts

« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2010, 11:08:06 pm »

I may not be a professional, but I've been carpet cleaning for 24 years and have always used the same method to clean a carpet. If I was doing something wrong I would have gone out of business long ago.

Are you a professional because you've attended courses? 

:P

Not at all.  I'd say there is no unambiguous definition to the term 'professional'.   It certainly doesn't come from the training because someone can undertake all the training in the world and still be crap (in practice and in attitude).  The professionals in this industry (if there are professional carpet cleaners) are those who behave professionally in the service they provide, and the business they run.

I do agree though that this thread is simple, GCSE-level forum flaming.....   ;D   It doesn't upset me personally because I'm new to this lark (relatively) and I chose carpet cleaning as a lifestyle choice, not because of any dillusion of grandeur.   I left the corporate rat race, endless travel up and down the country, company politics and a large salary (!) to do this menial cleaning ........ it's fun!   ;D

Sarah Kirby

« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2010, 11:17:30 pm »
I would agree that training is valuable in any chosen job and profession however being "professional" is determined by your attitude and conduct  :)

james roffey

« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2010, 11:18:33 pm »
I joined this forum last year having started my own carpet cleaning business at the same time.
And in that short space of time i am already weary at all this in fighting, school playground attitude and,aliases people use even answer or back up questions to posts that they created ::)
 whether carpet cleaning is skilful misses the point surely the more you understand what you are doing the better you will be, besides running a successful carpet cleaning business demands more than being able to clean a carpet or remove a stain, and i emphasise succesful.

fitz2kleen

« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2010, 11:52:11 pm »
I think whats being missed here is the fact that training doesnt make a professional what it does is gives you a tool that you can take with you in your day to day work.
What I find ignorant is that people think they can just walk off the street and do it, and do it well.............cleaning carpets is only part of this job........ identification,knowing how to deal with stains,how and why you need to neutralize what ever cleaning compound you use.while you can fool all the people some of the time you cant fool all the people all of the time and if you only have bullpoop to fall back on who's the one looking un-professional?.

In every venture I have under taken I have endevoured to get as much training and information so I can undertake what is put in front of me with a proffessional manner and when I have come to a point where I feel im out of my depth I look to gain the neccesary training/information to overcome that situation.
I feel this to be the professional way.
So while some people do not clean carpets in a professional manner that doesnt mean there are not professionals in the trade.

Peter_Jones

« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2010, 02:08:38 am »
There are no professionals in the carpet cleaning trade and nobody on here can provide a reliable source or quote that will prove otherwise.

Next you'll be saying window cleaning is a profession, or emptying bins. They are not professions and you cannot by definition provide a professional service.

Some people on here seem to think that because they've taken a 3 day course they are suddenly elevated in stature above others who have simply learned how to do the job themselves.

The bottom line is, it is unlikely that the forum is populated by very many cowboys or "splash and dash" merchants as those guys would have no interest in discussing serious matters about cleaning carpets. Probably every member here will have some piece of knowledge that the majority of the others don't, that's the way I see it and that's why I joined.

Dave Roberts

« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2010, 02:37:54 pm »
Fair post Andy.    Good luck in your new venture.

Cheers,
Dave.

Marti

« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2010, 05:04:55 pm »

Colin, you swing from one extreme to the other, one minute your agreeing with my OP, then because others are voicing their opinions later down the line (their democratic right) in the other direction you change your opinion.

Come on, do you agree or disagree?

fitz2kleen

« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2010, 05:14:20 pm »

Colin, you swing from one extreme to the other, one minute your agreeing with my OP, then because others are voicing their opinions later down the line (their democratic right) in the other direction you change your opinion.

Here we go again, schools out for the day

Marti

« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2010, 05:18:00 pm »

Ding ding round 2  ;D ;D

paul wallace

« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2010, 06:01:08 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D @ this thread!
Just trying to do a Good-Honest job and make money!

Marti

« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2010, 06:32:56 pm »
86 posts      897 views   ;D  ;D  ;D

At least it caused some excitement, but I still stand by my OP   :-*

james roffey

« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2010, 07:56:27 pm »
I have come to the conclusion from reading this thread and a few others recently that the various carpet cleaning forums can be catergorised thus.

One of them is the equivalent of the Daily Mail .

One of them is the equivalent of the Times.

One is the equivalent of the Sun/News of the world.

Marti

« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2010, 08:05:44 pm »
I have come to the conclusion from reading this thread and a few others recently that the various carpet cleaning forums can be catergorised thus.

One of them is the equivalent of the Daily Mail .

One of them is the equivalent of the Times.

And we all know which one this represents   8)

« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2010, 08:09:00 pm »

More like the Sunday Sport.....if you look hard enough you will find some genuine stuff but mostly there are articles written by muppets.....step forward Marti Bear

Marti

« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2010, 08:10:51 pm »

More like the Sunday Sport.....if you look hard enough you will find some genuine stuff but mostly there are articles written by muppets.....step forward Marti Bear

Ah, the truth hurts some people  ;D ;D :P

fitz2kleen

« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2010, 08:11:54 pm »

;D ;D ;D

Marti

« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2010, 08:12:53 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D :P

Mike Halliday

« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2010, 08:13:33 pm »
have you ever thought why CIU gets all the trouble causers & idiots? the same reason hackers never create virus for Macs only MS.

why go to a ghost town and cause trouble, pick the most populated and busiest place...... that's were you get the most response to your rubbish.

CIU  is were the action is if you don't like it hot  visit snoozeville & boredom city but don't forget your Pro-Plus or a big cup of extra strong coffee :D :D :D

Marti

« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2010, 08:15:48 pm »
It's all Brian's fault   ;D

« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2010, 08:17:12 pm »
CIU  is were the action is if you don't like it hot  visit snoozeville & boredom city but don't forget your Pro-Plus or a big cup of extra strong coffee :D :D :D

Well I'm off to read The Times where I don't have to read wind ups.

Marti

« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2010, 08:17:53 pm »

Matt

This man says it all...

Dave Roberts

« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2010, 08:18:40 pm »
Didn't I see a post from you yesterday Mick, on one of those snoozey forums!

Were you in need of a downer!   ;D

Dave.

Mark Lawrence

« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2010, 09:41:06 pm »

Not being funny Peter, but in your video when wanding 'away' from you the carpets always look lighter ::) so what would it have looked like after wanding back? not much different probably ;D

Mark

Colin Day

« Reply #99 on: August 26, 2010, 09:51:08 pm »

I do what I like when I like and chop and change my opinion's all the time, because I can.... It's what I do and I do it to annoy Richard Heads, the way you post up argumentative drivel to annoy proper carpet cleaners!

If this annoys you in any way, then I have achieved my aim ;D

Sam Davies

« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2010, 11:30:27 pm »
Marti. What you actually do in cleaning terms isn’t actually any different from what 99 per cent
Of us carpet cleaners actually do .prespray scrub squirt and suck but with different brands, But for some reason you are bitter and twisted I think you need to have a little chat with your therapist
No disrespect intended

fitz2kleen

« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2010, 12:48:53 am »
Marti. What you actually do in cleaning terms isn’t actually any different from what 99 per cent
Of us carpet cleaners actually do .prespray scrub squirt and suck but with different brands, But for some reason you are bitter and twisted I think you need to have a little chat with your therapist
No disrespect intended

prespray scrub squirt and suck ...... NOW IM BEGINNING TO SEE THE RESEMBLANCE TO PROSTITUTION  ;D

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2010, 10:23:24 pm »
Must say this is an interesting post ;D

mark joyce

« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2010, 10:52:33 pm »
at last the truth has come out  only found this site the other week cant beleive some of the utter ****e I have read   was starting to think I was doing it wrong 

thank you OP

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2010, 11:01:16 pm »
so you like that guy and just stick to the bare min and use same products on every carpet?

mark joyce

« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2010, 11:18:53 pm »
no I use a few different chemicals all prochem and the right machine for the job but dont do the yarn spin to customers

Matt Seymour

« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2010, 11:21:42 pm »
I've just worked my way through this thread and found it quite interesting.

The original poster does have a point I suppose. I have no delusions of grandeur and I am well aware that the skills necessary to be a carpet cleaner can't be compared to the skills and training necessary in other trades/professions.

I suppose your run of the mill reasonably good condition carpet doesn't exactly require a great deal of knowledge or expertise, but spotting/stain removal is a different kettle of fish.

And with products constantly being developed and the increasing demand for natural cleaning solutions, you do need to constantly educate yourself and move with the times.

gordonswindows

« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2010, 07:25:49 am »
Wow what a great thread

And just to put you ALL right the definition of professional is being paid for work now you can be a good professional or a bad professional makes no difference if you get paid

So stop thinking that being professional means you are good or better than others all it means is that you have been paid

And by the way bonnet cleaning is the answer any old buffer can do it
Don't Give Up
@askforthemoney

gwrightson

« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2010, 07:50:31 am »
Gordon, sorry to have to correct you but it depends on wether you are using the word  professional as an adjective or a noun.

adjective. engaged in an activity as a paid occupation, rather than as an amateur.

Noun,  a person having impressive competence in a paticular activity.

So a person employing incompatent methods and practices is not professional.

Wow what a great thread

And just to put you ALL right the definition of professional is being paid for work now you can be a good professional or a bad professional makes no difference if you get paid

So stop thinking that being professional means you are good or better than others all it means is that you have been paid

And by the way bonnet cleaning is the answer any old buffer can do it

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

robert meldrum

« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2010, 07:54:52 am »
A very good point by the last poster............I've been a Professional Golfer, Professional Driver, Teaching Professional ( Lecturer ) Professional Cleaner only because I've been paid for providing services in these areas.

In all of these I came across people with considerably more knowledge than me, but I had the TITLE and I got PAID so they always assumed I knew more than them.

Some will do BASIC work with BASIC machines and chemicals and build successful businesses while others ( particularly nowadays ) get sidetracked by the CLAIMS and promotions of NEW products which really do the same job.

As always...........you have to figure it out from researching what others do, how profitable one product / method is against the others and then find out if it would work for YOU. Unfortunately it takes time and experimentation to find this out and can be expensive if you get it wrong.

fitz2kleen

« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2010, 08:52:11 am »

Some will do BASIC work with BASIC machines and chemicals and build successful businesses while others ( particularly nowadays ) get sidetracked by the CLAIMS and promotions of NEW products which really do the same job.

some will do BASIC work with state of the art machines and pass it off as the best, others will do 1ST CLASS work with BASIC machinery and get told by others they are inferior cos they only have BASIC equipment!

Vernon Purcell

« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2010, 07:52:27 pm »
I only use power burst double clean and fibre and fabric rinse,I think ultimate master is only good for curtains.I use 100 psi blah blah degrees and a manual brush to aggitate.Horses for courses mate.And I live in a3 bed semi.
But I know what you mean arry.
Is Ultimate Master a water based produce?