gwrightson

Re: I give up
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2009, 04:17:33 pm »

Its really quite simple isnt it ?

Either you want the job at the price you quote or you dont , I cant see the point in quoting a price , a price you feel is making you money after all of your x,s   and then you go and sit and wonder "OH i might be to expensive, What shall i do ? "       simple  really quote ,and wait , if you start thinking about losing jobs your quoting for I suggest you find another another line of work.

I cut my price drasticlly when quoting commercial,  for example  a job the other evening £360.00  but as Jan is usualy a little quiet £250 if you have it done in Jan is what I told my custy, and already the custy has seen a saving of £110 . and yes I got the job, did the job in 3 hrs  and custy booked me again in 6 months .  

Geoff.
ps  £250 is what i wanted in the first place.
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2009, 04:48:12 pm »
Derek even after 20 years I still advertise but I do like to be kept busy, a local CD has adverts in every YP Thomsons and online plus others and has a min charge of £95 mainly because he gets volumes of calls plus any ins work based on HIS supply and demand and also a very very good sales girl on the phone aswell she quotes over the phone.

Shaun

derek west

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2009, 04:51:21 pm »
wheres colin gone? ;D
derek

Joe H

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2009, 04:54:30 pm »
I wondered who you were talking about  ;D

derek west

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2009, 04:57:16 pm »
can i just point out that most of my posts on here are directed at colin finney, for some reason he has deleted his side of the arguement, this makes me look slightly mad, (not far wrong there ;D) but i'd just like to point that out incase it looks like i'm argueing with any of you guys,
derek

ps has he been banned or have i convinced him to change his views ;D

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2009, 05:06:26 pm »
Colin who Derek, and why are you rambling? ;D

Maybe the Mods have deleted him, or Doug, he was a Rocker. ;D

I think Mr Gregory did the right thing, for him. For someone else it might be another story.

Look at all the carpet cleaners that sustain a succesful business. They all vary in price and service, this allows them to co-exist and everybody is happy.

If we all had the same pricing and went after the same business most would be out of work.

derek west

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2009, 05:21:58 pm »
mike
am i halucinating?
should i seek medical advice, maybe i'm making it up cos i miss tm so much, ya know, pretending i'm still there.
i have been drinking a lot of red wine since i packed up beer. bought it to try out some removal techniques on wool carpets, i removed it all right but it didn't go any where near the carpet samples. hiccup. ;D
derek

clinton

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2009, 05:23:38 pm »
Mike

Your right there on pricing :)

Could you imagine a price comparison site for carpet cleaners like we have for insurance ???

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2009, 08:48:32 pm »
Just had a caller on wanting a price for terraced house carpets (lounge, stairs. landing, front bedroom and small bed room) I quoted £130-140 I know I'm not the cheapest but I did go through the clean and it sounds dirty,

what do you think he got quoted from one of the CD's?
what do you think he got quoted from another seperate cleaner?

Shaun

derek west

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2009, 09:01:59 pm »
£190
£70
derek

John Gregory

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2009, 09:11:52 pm »
I'm thinking on the same lines of Derek

Come on Shaun tell us

John

Doug Holloway

The Great One

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2009, 09:49:46 pm »
Hi Guys

Felt I have to say that just because we disagree with someone doesn't give us the right to hound them or bully them.

If Colin or anyone else want to do that job for £200 then why should we judge him.

Personally if I had nothing on and wanted or needed the work I would do it, for all I know other people would see me working and it would open more doors for more work and what started out as a £200 job could end up as £500, or the £200 might turn into quarterly.

Where do we draw the line? Basically where you personally want to draw it, taking it down in an ever decreasing sarcastic circle is self defeating. Some people will draw the line at £200 other may do it for less, it is up to the individual.

We all know plumbers, electricians, tiler, roofer, etc who work for less than that every day, we have all done cheap work at some point (depending on the client) it is sad to harass someone for having their own opinion, so much so they delete all their posts.

Regards

Martin 8)

clinton

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2009, 09:50:35 pm »
Il go for

200 c d and  am going with doug for the low one as bet the second has not much work so he will do it cheap ???

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2009, 09:56:09 pm »
£290 for CD
£35

Shaun

Paul_Ashworth

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2009, 10:03:42 pm »
Who did they go for ??

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2009, 10:11:23 pm »
Couldn't tell you but not me, got that feeling that they didn't want my price or service I do hope they weren't looking for a cheaper price than £35 but I didn't like the tone I find that they usually cancel.

Shaun

Mike Halliday

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2009, 10:12:57 pm »
Martin 606, Collins post have been deleted (by me) because there is doubt to his identity, not because of his opinions. he is entitled to his views, but no one should be allowed to lie and mislead other posters. we are supposed to be here to help each other

as moderator we try and promote a healthy, harmonious atmosphere for all to share ideas and advise,  
if its hounding, bullying, &  harassing  to ask someone to fill in their profile or prove who they are, then I'm guilty

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Goldfinch PCS

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2009, 11:14:33 pm »
John that's how silly or stupid a lot of Carpet Cleaners are, the poor buffoon can only see pass his next tank of petrol so he charges enough to get him to his next destination hoping to make the same again or sometimes less. I face that everyday here in Brum domestic and commercial, thinking of leaving this place.

These CC see it as £200 they never had, and there next job is £30 and they see that as £30 they never had and that is what I hear from them they just don't consider the job they don't care all they see is money they never had. The job has no value, all that is of value is the pennies they didn't have.

IF ONLY THEY STOP TO THINK, WHY THEY NEVER HAVE ANY MONEY THEY WOULD REALISE THEY WASTE  TIME CHASING EXPENSE, NOT MAKING ANY PROFITS. All they are using each job to do is cover costs.

Sell your service, ask them what is it they are getting for £200? the poor person probably has no idea. Take time to explain what you do and how you do it and don't forget the benefits even your insurance.

Remember we should all be professionals, but, are we?

Good luck -
Goldfinch PCS
0800 612 9244
LTT PROmite(Altec) Member of - IICRC
www.goldfinchpcs.co.uk

Paul_Ashworth

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2009, 11:20:55 pm »
Good Post Goldfinch