dirtbusters

chem dry prices
« on: May 18, 2007, 02:19:12 pm »
had an interesting call from a customer today. wanted carpets cleaned in an empty 3 bed house on one of the new estates. asked if she had any prices already.  yes she said £80. i expected it to be from a splasher and dasher but was gobsmacked when she said chem dry.
got the job in the end for £120 for the carpets and chucked in an oven clean at half price for one of my lads to do.
what happened to the days when a customer said chem dry had already quoted and you knew they had given a silly price and the job was yours for the taking.
i can only presume this homeserve business is starting to bite.

PaulKing

Re: chem dry prices
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 02:37:38 pm »
is it a good or bad thing do you think, what homeserve business is it exactly, i know they took them over but have they done something eles?

or maybe just a misquote?
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

rs_cleancare

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 02:39:47 pm »
Quoted on a job in January £168 took 3.5 hours Chem dry had quoted £390! :o
Would'nt mind one or two jobs a day priced at £390.
Rob.

dirtbusters

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 03:54:25 pm »
i mean that homeserve from what i have read and heard seem to be taking some fire flood work away from the smaller franchises. this means they will have to compete more with the independents, and may have to drop their prices to get the work.

David_Annable

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 04:10:11 pm »
Hi

The Franchises will set there price on the basis of whether they want the work or not.

So if they want it = resonable price. If they dont = silly price.

Why not try it yourself.

If you had said £250 you would have still been a lot cheaper.

Dave
NCCA, Woolsafe, IICRC Leather Cleaning Technician

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 04:15:52 pm »
My local Chemdrys quote

53m/2

silver-basic clean £201.65p

gold thorough clean £251.99p

platinum-most populer £291.23p

complete carpet care & maintence £350.23p

this is with the 15% advertised discount
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

John Kelly

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 04:51:11 pm »
Chem Dry overheads are horrendous. As well as the monthly license fee the chemical cost to clean a carpet is around £24.

Robert Watson

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 05:59:37 pm »
 :o What?. Realy?
The Kitchen Door Centre

*paul_moss

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 06:13:57 pm »
Dont knock Chemdry,they have done well over the last few years to raise the price barrier for all of us,and as John states thy get ripped off with fees.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

John Kelly

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 07:48:46 pm »
The machine they use is a modified Kleenrite. They have to put 5 litres of solution A and 5 litres of solution B into the machine. When these mix it creates carbon dioxide, hence the bubbles. It was all started by a guy who cleaned his carpet with a soda syphon. He got the stain out and he believed it was the bubbles which brought the stain to the surface. That idea is now a multi billion dollar worldwide business, unbelievable.

*paul_moss

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 08:23:43 pm »
His name was Mike Tizer
Im sure we have all drank Tizer.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

rambly

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 08:41:55 pm »
His name was Mike Tizer
Im sure we have all drank Tizer.

But like wagon wheels you cant face it now.
Remember the 8th commandment:
Thou shalt not steal - Gordon Brown hates competition.

*paul_moss

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 08:44:24 pm »
Or was it Dan Dlionandburdock
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

Matt Lindus

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 11:41:55 pm »
Paul your making a sensible topic a farce with your stupid coments.

The guy who invented it was a doctor from New York -  Dr Pepper.

Matt Lindus

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 11:47:10 pm »
Luke Asaide.

i'll stop now.

david holland

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2007, 05:09:06 am »
wasnt he a ginger beer !!!

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2007, 07:40:04 am »
some time ago we went to look at a small 2 seater 2 chairs,chemdry wanted
£190, without knowing the cost,she said whats the difference with you and chemdry I said,about £100  ;D we got the job ;D well done to them keep those prices going up boys ;D ;)
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

calmore

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2007, 07:55:28 pm »
As Paul says, Chem dry have actually done the rest of us a BIG favour!

Any customer that dithers over price, recommend that they get a quote from Chemdry.
Calmore Carpet Cleaning-Southampton
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services
www.southernpatservices.com/

Mike Halliday

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2007, 08:02:08 pm »
they haven't done me any favours ;) i was expensive before I'd even seen their prices ;D
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

calmore

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2007, 11:09:55 pm »
Well, in future i'm gonna start comparing my prices to yours, when the custy starts to dither!
Calmore Carpet Cleaning-Southampton
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services
www.southernpatservices.com/

CARPET KNIGHTS

brights cleaning

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2007, 10:19:46 am »
does it matter what chemdry charge, or anybody else?

carpetguy

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2007, 10:39:51 am »
I remember, over twenty years ago, calling C/D for a price to clean a suite and being told there was a minimum charge of £56...........

That's about £180 at current prices...............I never used them then and would never contemplate paying anyone, from any trade or service, such a rate.

I have always regarded painter / decorators to be extortionate, but having considered; -

Time spent on the job
Standard / quality of their work ( generally )
Expendables
Actual, physical effort ( and this is considerable )

I have to conclude, that, carpet cleaners have it easy and in many cases are getting paid well over their worth.

Obviously, many will disagree, but I'm talking about ; -

A fair price, for a simple service.
An hourly rate that reflects the work being done and obviously considers your overhead, although your overhead, is your responsibility and it's you who must control it.

As mentioned, above and should be generally known, franchisees have excessive monthly fees, are tied to "expensive to run" systems.

If their costs were lower, you can be sure, their charges would also be lower, which I'm sure, will be borne out, by ex franchisees, who will be more competetive and busier and not just earning more, but retaining more.

carpetguy

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2007, 10:48:58 am »
It may not matter to some, BUT  it certainly matters to the MAJORITY.  Any market is limited by it's size, whether it's carpet cleaning , retailing, or anything else and if someone is considering getting carpets cleaned.............discovers it's going to cost half the cost of replacing, many will opt for replacement.

joey p

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2007, 12:33:54 pm »
you have obviousely never had to promote a succesful carpet cleaning bussines for 10 years plus, thousands of pounds, after thousands of pounds and so on, to keep yourself with 3/4 jobs per day every day, carpet and upholstery cleaners are in far less demand than decorators and plumbers etc. We pay more than any other tradesman to get our work, far , far more, our work can be seasonal, there are many peaks and troffs.I think you are being far to general in my opinion, i for one have been trading for 15 years, i have never had it easy as you say, it was really hard work back then, it is even harder now, mentally it can be a strain, phsically it is very hard on the body, to say that some have it easy and are paid over their worth is a bit ficcle, i have certainly never met any decorator, chippy, plumber, sparky, postman or road worker for that matter that works harder than i do, or my carpet cleaning friends do, most of the day is spent having f*g breaks, making a bloody mess, and cups of tea, completing a job to their own time scale, not the customers,  i for one havent got time for that.
Speak for yourself but i most certainly dont agree with you.

as far as this is concerned.........................

I have to conclude, that, carpet cleaners have it easy and in many cases are getting paid well over their worth.

Obviously, many will disagree, but I'm talking about ; -

A fair price, for a simple service.
An hourly rate that reflects the work being done and obviously considers your overhead, although your overhead, is your responsibility and it's you who must control it.

i find that statement naive and laughable.

i believe you have run a bussiness or more than 1 in the past, how they could of been succesful with that attitude i will never know?
maybe your idea of succesful or self worth is different to mine or for that matter everyone elses.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2007, 06:08:14 pm »
Have to agree with Joey on that one, I appreciate that painters and decorators have an apprenticeship to do but they do get paid for it, we on the other hand have to go through the wilderness looking for work for years.

1 job may fill them for a week, 1 job for us can be 1 hour the comaprison between the 2 trades are not equal.

A bespoke joiner will charge more than your site chippy as he is offering a different standard of finish something else to think about.

Shaun

rambly

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2007, 06:30:30 pm »
Have to agree with Joey on that one, I appreciate that painters and decorators have an apprenticeship to do but they do get paid for it, we on the other hand have to go through the wilderness looking for work for years.

1 job may fill them for a week, 1 job for us can be 1 hour the comaprison between the 2 trades are not equal.

A bespoke joiner will charge more than your site chippy as he is offering a different standard of finish something else to think about.

Shaun
Agreed. In addition if you compare the amount of equipment we need/carry plus size of van, insurance for treatment risks etc. then the comparison becomes even less valid.

Best one for minimal equipment vs earnings is a friend who is a plasterer down South. He often just gets on the train into London with all the tools he needs in a sports bag plus a 6ft alloy featheredge.
Remember the 8th commandment:
Thou shalt not steal - Gordon Brown hates competition.

Paul_Ashworth

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2007, 06:35:01 pm »
Also if you are a qualified painter & decorator and decide to work for yourself how much does your equipment cost to purchase, Ladders, brushes = £300.00 say, however a lot of people in cc have £30,000 + worth of equipment so you need a return on this investment.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2007, 06:37:23 pm »
Hi Guys

I was speaking to a bricklayer last week who said plasterers never carry enough tools and are always on the scrounge !

As for prices it comes down to the number of people who can work to a particular standard, a top decorator designer will charge lots whereas your average emulsioner won't.

We are at the top end of the soft furnishing cleaning market.

Itr's important to overcome the fear of charging higher prices which enable you to buy better equipment, have a nicer home, go on better holidays etc

Cheers

Doug

Steve Chapman

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2007, 06:51:48 pm »
I've run a painting & decorating business in the past and would say it's far harder work than cleaning carpets.  -  if it wasn't i would still be doing it wouldn't i  ;)

you might get fussy customers when doing carpets, but decorating they can complain to cows come home and have you running around doing allsorts and working all sorts of odd hours just to get a job finished.

carpets you're in / out / paid and on to the next one and if you do the job right, few complaints, and you get to go home when you want !

Piece a cake !

If it's not then do something easier  ;D   I used to clean windows and that was harder too ;D

regards

steve

joey p

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2007, 06:53:34 pm »
if you find those trades harder than carpet / upholstery cleaning, then you are doing it wrong, its as simple as that.Maybe your not too good at it?? who knows.

Steve Chapman

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2007, 06:57:58 pm »
done it for 13 years now and love it, if it was hard work i'd do something else!
 :-*

regards
steve

maxcarpets

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2007, 07:00:53 pm »
Carpet doctor,

Did you earn ore money decorating or CC?

Steve Chapman

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2007, 07:14:46 pm »
easily more carpet cleaning :)

Unless you have really done other jobs you cant really compare it.

it's easy to think decorating or plastering is easy but theres alot more hassle involved than people think, and much of the profits can be eaten up if things go wrong and you spend more time than budgeted.

I would think most successful carpet cleaners have done a variety of jobs and realize how much more rewarding this business is!

Yes you have to constantly look for work, but sometimes you only need one good job a week to make it pay!

regards
steve

The Great One

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2007, 09:06:42 pm »
Hi

Hmm, not sure

Just done some paint jobs recently

1 bed flat, no ceilings, walls, and all woodwork, costs about £350, profit about £1500. (took 1 week)

House did front bedroom, hall/landing and large front door, ceilings, walls, woodwork, costs about £300 profit about £1200 (took 1 week)

Starting a communal this week, 2 weeks work, costs about £500, profit about £1800-2000.

3 jobs, months work, profit about £4500

Regards

Martin  8)

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2007, 09:34:42 pm »
A typical decorator working the residential market may only need one or two jobs a week. Occasionally, 1 job could last more than a week. Hence lower marketing expenses.

How many jobs does the typical CC need?

In general terms, a low cost CC will earn a decent living once established. A moderate to higher cost CC will have a successful business when established. A lower cost CC with multiple jobs per day making a decent profit tends to be younger. I doubt whether this business strategy would be viable for someone in their later years (like me :( )

Again a generalisation. If a CC business panicks because work has been slow for a week or even a month, then they may be too low a price and not generated enough reserves to cope with slow times.

Safe and happy business building :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Cloverleaf

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2007, 09:51:55 pm »
I'm 50 and regard carpet cleaning as easy.

I am capable of decorating or being a plumber or gas fitter....I would hate to contemplate pulling up floor boards, chopping out walls or spending more time on a job than I anticipated along with all the other problems that may occur.

I also think that the earnings can be equal or much better than the above.

You must agree that some of us more established businesses, compared to peops in a 9 to 5 job, lead a charmed life in comparison  ;D

John

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2007, 11:06:36 pm »
Read again John, I was generalising.  And just wait another 10 years+/-.  The body really starts to slow down now, and it takes longer to recover from the aches and pains of of a ten hour day and several hundred sqM :'(

And yes, I am blessed. I lead a really charmed life. A great wife, terrific kids (flown the nest 8) ) pittance of a mortgage, had 4 weeks holiday in Oz so far this year, 2 weeks coming up on the Isle of Man for the TT, another week on the Med in the Autumn, plus several mini-breaks in between plus lots of life's toys and trimmings. My wife is retired so she's not an earner so the bulk of our earnings are from CC.

Now folks, what quality of life would you prefer? Charge realistic prices for your business, stroll through life with maybe two sites a day max, relatively few cares and have a blessed life like mine, or work flat out, wasting precious time driving, loading/unloading at multiple sites each day and forever chasing the £££££.

Many tradesmen will relate a weeks takings to the salary of an employed person, forgetting the costs and expenses. Fortunaltely, most of us will take this into consideration.  BUT, few of us started our own businesses to have the same standard of living and same quality of life that we had when employed.  We usually want more disposable income and more time for ourselves and with our family.  To do all of this, you need more money! And we still typically earn less than many white collar workers from middle management upwards :'(

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2007, 11:11:19 pm »
Although I agree with ken, we all have to consider that to get the things we want in life it all comes down to the old fashioned plan and save, both of these are easier if you can sell your services at the best rate possible.

Shaun

Phil Marlor

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2007, 11:19:22 pm »
Read again John, I was generalising.  And just wait another 10 years+/-.  The body really starts to slow down now, and it takes longer to recover from the aches and pains of of a ten hour day and several hundred sqM :'(

And yes, I am blessed. I lead a really charmed life. A great wife, terrific kids (flown the nest 8) ) pittance of a mortgage, had 4 weeks holiday in Oz so far this year, 2 weeks coming up on the Isle of Man for the TT, another week on the Med in the Autumn, plus several mini-breaks in between plus lots of life's toys and trimmings. My wife is retired so she's not an earner so the bulk of our earnings are from CC.

Now folks, what quality of life would you prefer? Charge realistic prices for your business, stroll through life with maybe two sites a day max, relatively few cares and have a blessed life like mine, or work flat out, wasting precious time driving, loading/unloading at multiple sites each day and forever chasing the £££££.

Many tradesmen will relate a weeks takings to the salary of an employed person, forgetting the costs and expenses. Fortunaltely, most of us will take this into consideration.  BUT, few of us started our own businesses to have the same standard of living and same quality of life that we had when employed.  We usually want more disposable income and more time for ourselves and with our family.  To do all of this, you need more money! And we still typically earn less than many white collar workers from middle management upwards :'(

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken

Good post Ken, that is some lifestyle you have there, wish I could cram in a few holidays here and there, still,  full membership at Knebworth Golf course, cricket for my local village, smallish mortgage, and a few £££ in the business account isn't too bad, enjoy IOM next week! ;)

Rgds
Phil
Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

carpetguy

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2007, 11:40:54 pm »
Joey p

At 62 I don't find c/c hard work........I suffer from a knackered back, which is painful  but the actual work needn't be hard. If it is, maybe something needs changed'

Painting and decorating, I do find to be hard work.

If someone has been in this business for 15 years, they will have two things that should guarantee regular work, provided they understand marketing, first, there should be a large customer base and second there will be a reputation.

If the reputation is, good and the customer base is exploited, advertising costs should be minimal

The comparison with a painter / decorator came about, as a result of activities in our home which made me think about the charges some make for carpet cleaning and the time taken, compared with the charges for painting / decorating and time taken, also the physical effort.

joey p

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2007, 08:36:32 am »
carpetguy what you have just is quite obvious, a bit like shutting the gate after the horse has bolted, but for people new to this bussiness thats not so. But hey ho, we will all differ in opinion, as you said, i can except that, i just dont agree. All my aches and pains come from this damn bussiness, i just cant go back to painting and decorating!!! Doesnt pay well enough....
cheers off to work mate.