qginsburg

Lets be having it
« on: December 30, 2014, 10:58:04 am »
Hi gang anybody mind sharing their pricing for cleaning office carpets as one wishes to crack that market for 2015 cheers ! if you dont ask you dont get
Keeping it clean !

Richard Cole

Re: Lets be having it
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 11:30:24 am »
When i looked at this last i found that rates for lm rotary cleaning seemed to be around £1.50 - £1.75 per square meter.  I use this as a starting point and then charge higher for out of hours or weekend work. Sometimes carpets might be require more than lm clean and hwe might be needed so charge accordingly.
former carpet cleaner, now retired!

qginsburg

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 10:14:23 am »
Thanks Richard , have an excelent 2015 !
Keeping it clean !

edward coller

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 04:50:34 pm »
you know i price around that range and get less than 10% of quotes on commercial yet get 98% of quotes on domestic at higher than normal prices, mmmmmmm

Richard Cole

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 06:00:02 pm »
I have only recently started doing more commercial and do roughly one a month at present with average price ticket of £361 and jobs usually take no more than half a day.  Just over half have been done in the evening or weekend and the rest during normal working hours.  :)

Happy New Year

qginsburg

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 09:08:54 am »
Thats good going Richard , how do you market ? do you just stroll into the building ?
Keeping it clean !

Richard Cole

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 12:36:11 pm »
Inquiries from website.

gwrightson

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 04:52:34 pm »

£1.00 per sq yard   for straightforward commercial. with 200yds an hour the target.

I don't need any more than £1.00 a yard.

Geofff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Jennifer w

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 07:57:36 pm »
Yard?, seriously?

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 02:55:26 pm »
Yep we are British

SM101

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 03:57:05 pm »
I have normally worked commercial out by the hour. I used to charge £50 per hour per Technician plus vat. if you say 4hrs to do a job and you have 2 techs, that's £400  for the job and if you get it done in less time then it's to your advantage, always add a possible extra £50 to cover that if it takes longer. You eventually get used to looking at a job and being able to tell how long approx. it will take. Always check on how many bad stains there may be and allow for extra time to work on them. Good luck!!   

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 05:00:07 pm »
or you could charge by the metre.

Have 2 people with a rotary machine each carving through 200m2/hr at £1/m2 and make £400/hr

if its got furniture cover you will only clean about 40% of the total area.

I personally wouldn't charge by time unless it is a huge maintenance contract of 20,000m2 or similar on a monthly or quarterly basis.

Remember to factor in time for site meetings and inductions, H&S Accreditation, Risk Assessments, Method Statements, Staff Training etc as these can all be asked for. Sometimes after you have done the work and even after years of service so make sure you have a little extra in the pot so you can supply this.

Also be sure to find out their payment terms are as some can be 90 days. Always get a Purchase Order for the work. NEVER do work without it. Also make sure that you satisfy all their vendor requirements before starting any work as it is often used as a stalling tactic for settlement.

Ensure you have a contract for each job ensuring you still get paid should they late cancel or you cannot gain access because the security guy wasn't informed at shift change or didn't bother to read his email. Also have paperwork in place for a person refusing entry to sign off on the fact he isn't granting you access.

gwrightson

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 07:34:15 pm »
Yard?, seriously?

Yes Jennifer, a yard  ;D

what is wrong with a yard?  I was brought up with yards ,feet and inches .

Simple enough for most of us, obviously not for some ;)

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Jennifer w

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 07:59:48 pm »
Sorry Geoff, wasn't meant to sound rude...

It's just when people mention quoting in Yards it sounds like a sort of measurement from a bygone era. Like something my old Grandad would choose to quote in because its British.

When you invoice do you do it in shillings or pounds?

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 09:38:44 pm »
I've always priced in yards.

The main reason being that many, many clients will give you room sizes in feet rather than meters so there is one less conversion to make.

Of course I would convert if I thought there was an advantage to it.

Also pricing in yards sounds cheaper than a square meter price by just under 10%, so you may win business by sounding cheaper.

Just a thought.

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 09:44:51 pm »
I grew up in a yard but we had a small house it was 10% smaller than its modern equivalent.

Shaun

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 10:42:05 pm »
The "famous" pianist Eric Morecombe when being conducted by Andrew Preview complained that the introduction wasn't long enough for him to walk to the piano before starting his piano solo.

Andrew asked him how short it was.

Eric replied "about a yard".

Andrew said "don't be ridiculous-you can't make introductions in yards".

To which Eric replied " Of course you can. I was introduced to my wife in a yard-and we made some very nice music" ;D

Rog

PS This is the radio version of this sketch.

PPS Should I have put this comment on the jokes thread?
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

gwrightson

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 07:08:03 am »
Sorry Geoff, wasn't meant to sound rude...

It's just when people mention quoting in Yards it sounds like a sort of measurement from a bygone era. Like something my old Grandad would choose to quote in because its British.

When you invoice do you do it in shillings or pounds?

Whats and invoice ?

I just tell them how many Groats I want and they pay me, some time I do get a mixture of Florins, Half Crowns, Tanners, and Farthings but it all counts.

Geoff

*Hector*

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 09:31:11 am »
The "famous" pianist Eric Morecombe when being conducted by Andrew Preview complained that the introduction wasn't long enough for him to walk to the piano before starting his piano solo.

Andrew asked him how short it was.

Eric replied "about a yard".

Andrew said "don't be ridiculous-you can't make introductions in yards".

To which Eric replied " Of course you can. I was introduced to my wife in a yard-and we made some very nice music" ;D

Rog

PS This is the radio version of this sketch.

PPS Should I have put this comment on the jokes thread?

NO!!!!!
You are banned from there Rog.......

and you know why !!!  >:( >:(
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

JandS

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 10:41:57 am »
I did one last Friday...650sq m...the only paperwork involved was an e mailed quote after measuring up...an e mail back confirming time and date...an e mail the day before from the guy who was letting me in to confirm...and an e mail from me with the invoice which was confirmed yesterday.
No risk assessment, proof of insurance etc required just get in there, do it and invoice us was what they wanted.
Oh and priced at £1 per sq metre and all encapped.
Payment was agreed at a pig, 3 goats and 6 bags of salt.... ;D
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.