Poll

Would you buy from the USA?

I would buy from the USA as it would save me LOADS of money
I would not buy from the USA because of the shipping costs and tax
I would not buy from the USA because of the monstrance/servicing could be problematic
I would not buy from the USA because of other reasons (please specify below)

cleaning co

Re: Would you buy from the USA?
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2006, 12:09:10 pm »
hi dave out of intrest what make and model is yopur one with 4x3 stage vacs how many cords dos it hav ?has it heat ? only ever seen on machine before with 4 vacs and that was made by alltec a few years back but dont no anyone who has one
gary

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2006, 01:03:05 pm »
Not totally relevant but...........

Wanting to book a cruise on Disney Wonder, I proceeded to ring a UK cruise agent, on an 0870 number (charged as national call):

After 10 minutes on hold I was answered, told that as it was a Disney ship I needed another department, and put on hold again. I gave up after another 5 minutes. ???

So I rang a US cruise agent on an international freephone number:

Answered immediately (and in an accent I can understand, unlike some of the call centres used by uk firms). A very friendly agent took my requirements and promised to ring me back.

Ten minutes later, he rings back with price, itenary, everything.

Guess who got the booking?  ;D

Liahona

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2006, 03:54:33 pm »
Gary, it is an upgraded ultra 900 (which I dont think they make anymore for reasons I said earlier)......... 3 cords, 1 for the solution pump, and 1 each for two vacs....... It has an in line propane burner which will boil the water, obviously no good for us as cleaners but nevertheless it will boil it.... Yes perhaps it is over kill but you know the house and properties I go into so I do need it...... Oh yeah, its bloody heavy, 185 lbs, but you get the knack in moving it around, it also uses 3/8 solution hoses and 2 inch vac, for obvious reasons, its good kit! anyway, best, Dave...... P.S. the inline heater being propane obviously doesnt need a lead for its self, 3's enough isnt it????

therapist

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2006, 05:42:08 pm »
C'mon Dave,

I am a frequent visitor to the most active forum from accross the pond and the most popular portable, by far is still the Ninja.

rob

Mike Halliday

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2006, 06:01:17 pm »
.. ...As an individual you dont have to pay import tax or vat........

I might be wrong but i don't think this is true,

also what is classed as an 'individual' are we not all 'companies'

could anyone clarify this

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

stevegunn

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2006, 06:25:12 pm »
I think if its marked gift no vat or duty to pay

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2006, 06:49:40 pm »
.. ...As an individual you dont have to pay import tax or vat........

I might be wrong but i don't think this is true...

I have recently bought an electric appliance from American eBay seller, had to pay both: import tax and vat.

Last year I bought from the USA some stuff for my digital camcorder, also had to pay both: import tax and vat.

However with the $ - £ exchange rate, which has been good for UK buyers, you can sometimes save LOADS of money. 

...also what is classed as an 'individual' are we not all 'companies'...

To my understanding import tax and vat applies regardless whether you are an individual or a company.

I think if its marked gift no vat or duty to pay

There is a limit for the value of the goods you are getting from abroad, without paying tax and vat.  Everything above that limit is tax and vat payable, regardless whether it is gift or not.

Kind regards,
Arthur

Liahona

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2006, 06:54:49 pm »
Mike, it is true or I have been geting "away" with it for a long time.....If you phone Customs and Excise they will let you know..... what you are buying are tools of the trade and under that heading you dont have to pay import tax or Vat...... The gift idea doesnt work over a certain value but I dont know what that is. When I buy stuff it is always a lot so I dont even ask...... What you are charged for and of course is Vat able is the receiving end. Those who off load it and clear it through customs do charge, too much I might add........ I have a spotting machine that should turn up fairly soon and that is from door to door, accordingly that just turns up on my door, as yet I have never had to pay anything, but I am 100% right in terms of tools of the trade......I have the number somewhere of Customs if you need it......., Best, Dave....... Rob, you may well be right, however, for the 12 years I was living there The Ninja operators wouldnt even turn up to clean offs and hey even the chemical dryer people turned up. They lost dismally but at least they did show up.....but again most of the people I dealt with had truck mounts and wanted a portable to be as close as possible and of course The Ninja wasnt close.............As before I have heard nothing said but good about them  over here....

Liahona

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2006, 07:09:05 pm »
Artrhur, I read your post and the only thing I can think of is two things  1) your goods weren't tools of the trade and 2) did you apply to be exempt from charges, if you dont ask to be exempt they wont exempt you on their own, it is the government after all!!!!!!!!!! It is a lot of paper work but believe me I didnt pay anything, just a fortune in comparison for the receivers...... Best, Dave. P.S. There is a web site somewhere that has it in writing about what I am saying....... A certain Mr. Saunders knows all about what and how I did what because he was bummed that he couldnt do the same thing.....

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2006, 07:09:40 pm »
...What you are charged for and of course is Vat able is the receiving end...

Dave,
That is why the VAT has never been an issue for you.

Mike, it is true or I have been geting "away" with it for a long time...
...Those who off load it and clear it through customs do charge, too much I might add...

Dave, some time ago I had to deal with "those who off load it".  The reason their bill seems so big is because they include the import tax in it , which you may just have not noticed.

But let me just say that if you still buying from the USA directly it does make sense in terms of £££.   ;)

Kind regards,
Arthur

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2006, 07:12:03 pm »
Artrhur,
...but believe me I didnt pay anything, just a fortune in comparison for the receivers...

Dave,

Who knows, I may be wrong  ???

Kind regards,
Arthur

Liahona

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2006, 07:20:30 pm »
I looked up the paper work, well my tax lady did, and there wasnt anything else charged for by the receivers other than unloading it, clearing it through customs and then storing it. The only Vat was just normal on their bill, anyway I am registered for Vat so it doesnt really matter...... Like you said though with the dollar in the loo so to speak even after all the red tape it is still so much more economical to but there and have sent over, way more choice too. Best, Dave.

john rees

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2006, 07:22:52 pm »
I bought a truckmount from the us in 2003 and the import duty was 2.4% when I bought one in 2004 the duty was about 15% because there was some sort of trade war going on between the us and europe to do with cheap steel we were shipping to them, so the us imposed a tarrif on the steel from europe, then the uk placed higher duties on the us imports! not sure what they are now though? :(
john

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2006, 08:26:13 pm »
The poll show that majority of people would by from the USA to save the money. 

My concern is what if I get a faulty peace of equipment or else?

Has anybody had a nasty experience buying from overseas?

Kind regards,
Arthur

Vernon Purcell

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2006, 06:59:17 pm »
Phone Roto vac tell them you want to buy it and see where they send you.

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2006, 08:57:34 pm »
Phone Roto vac tell them you want to buy it and see where they send you.

Out of courtesy I sent to them email asking about their 230V starter package, which includes Rotovac.  They referred me to ALLTEC.

Kind regards,
Arthur

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2006, 11:02:53 pm »
I think there is a question missing in this poll.  People think they can save LOADS of money buying from the USA, but how many of us actually have gone that way.  That is the question I forgot to ask.  Without such question this poll is pointless, I am afraid…
Kind regards,
Arthur

PaulKing

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2006, 11:04:46 pm »
"As an individual you dont have to pay import tax or vat"

Absoulut poppythingy!

You may as well say As a Individual you don't have topay TAX or VAT on purchases. If so why do people keep geting done for evading import duty?

You have a allowance of £15ish ( that's why you get some amazon dvd's shipped from jersey)( especially the special intersest ones)( brazilian beavers in their natural habitat being my fav)

You might get away with it for so long if your not spotted, or you could brag about it on a forum, then someone will have a quite word with "THE REVENUE" and poo will ocur at some point in the future!

Mind you only had this information from the HM Customs & Revenue websites snich/helpline, maybe they are wrong, but  am not getting on the wrong side of them, You can pee of the taxman his power dat back to 1500 (or aleast a long time ago)and he will get annoyed and fine you 6 turnips. BUT never pee of the VAT man as his powers date back too only 1960 and he will have your house,car and the fluff from your pocket in 5 seconds flat if you can't pay what he wants.

Cheery thoughts, sleep well those who have paid their dues.

www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

Liahona

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2006, 12:24:28 pm »
Paul I had to reply but wanted to wait till I got what I had had sent to arrive. I had a small machine arrive into Customs last Wednesday along with a couple of glides....... I filled out the forms which is a C3 form to comply with the laws with regards sending over "stuff". This done and certified by Customs was accordingly released and arrived to my house today. There was no charge of import tax nor Vat because as I have said before tools of the trade come under a different section than that of maybe what you are looking under. If any charges are due they would not release the package untill they are paid so it is more difficult to evade  import duty. As you accused me of being a liar I now put to you in writing that you are incorrect in your accusations. As for the allowance of 15 pounds that is also incorrect but I am not sure what it is, just know it is around the 400 pound mark. Just so you know I have run a business here in England and also in the US for almost 15 years now so do have some knowledge of what I am saying where as I think you do not. I have never and dont brag on here about anything, people who know me know what I do, what I charge and are aware that most of what I use comes from the US. As does the tax man and Vat man......On another subject it was brought up about how much was being paid to have stuff sent here from the US to here. The box I just received weighed 37 pounds and it cost me 120 dollars to have it sent. I paid a little more to have it here within 48 hours...... Best, Dave.

PaulKing

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2006, 07:05:45 pm »
HMRC Reference:C 3 
Bringing personal belongings to UK from outside the EC

A form to declare personal belongings to Customs and claim any duty and tax reliefs that may apply when returning or transferring residence to the European Community.
]

So you bring these items in as you are returning to reside in the UK?

Not because you have imported them, they where already yours?

www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne