jasonl

Groupon questionaire
« on: October 04, 2011, 03:28:12 pm »
I will soon be running another Groupon campaign .

I will be changing my customer questionaire  for Groupon customers in order to try and gather some  data to help decide where to take this method of marketing.

Obviously I am not looking at  the why groupon is a bad idea kind of comment.

The questions I have so far.

1)  How do you usually clean carpets ?

a, Never do

b, hire in a machine

c, Get a company in to clean

2)  Would you use Groupon to find a cleaner again?

3)  Would you  call us direct next time?

The following are existing questions

Please rate on a scale of 1 to 10  ( 1 being very bad ,10 being excellent)

Quality of clean

Quality of service

Value for money

Timekeeping 

Any other ideas?
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

cozy

Re: Groupon questionaire
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 03:49:50 pm »
Another Groupon campaign? When was the first one? How did it go?

Oh, my full name and details are on my profile. Cozy is just a user name.

jasonl

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 03:57:46 pm »
The first one was 5 weeks ago , and 70% of coupons were redemmed  ,  Groupon fees were multiplied by a factor of 4  last time we counted . There have been several  recommendations since  though as well.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

cozy

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 03:59:31 pm »
So a roaring success then? The way ahead really.

AshWhite

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 04:03:15 pm »
How about:

'When would you like us to contact you next to arrange your subsequent carpet cleans? 6-12 months, 12-18 months,18-24 months, 24 months+, or please do not contact me again'

Bish bash bosh hot lead in a set amount of time.

Ash
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

jasonl

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 04:07:16 pm »
So a roaring success then? The way ahead really.

It was good , I would not say a roaring success , made a profit  , no initial outlay , worth it  though .

I have just been told it is going to go live tomorrow , I have changed the deal ,and limited it to 300 only so they will be done in under 3 weeks total work , if they were done flat out ( which they wont be)
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 05:43:04 pm »
With a take up of 70% who gets the remanding 30%?

Shaun

jasonl

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 05:47:52 pm »
If people do not  redeem the voucher code , Groupon keep all the money , that is where the bulk of their revenue comes from , same as airmiles ,gift vouchers /tokens etc , there are hundreds of millions of pounds worth unredeemed  yet paid for ones laying about.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 06:22:44 pm »
I have just been told it is going to go live tomorrow ,

Where?

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 06:28:18 pm »
They get their cake and eat it, I may start my own up seeing that you can earn hard money at it, even thought of a name for it 'hardon' with a catchline of 'redeem your voucher or get shafted', do you think I'm onto a winner?

Shaun

mark joyce

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 06:30:08 pm »
jason the only thing I asked was for phone numbers and names when they mentioned friends and mother in laws etc so I could text or ring them and offered the same deal with out groupon getting their 40%

derek west

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 06:42:05 pm »
They get their cake and eat it, I may start my own up seeing that you can earn hard money at it, even thought of a name for it 'hardon' with a catchline of 'redeem your voucher or get shafted', do you think I'm onto a winner?

Shaun
;D ;D ;D

sounds like a bone-a fido business plan. ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 07:35:54 pm »
'I have just been told it is going to go live tomorrow'

Jason,
Where?

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 08:00:23 pm »
I have just been told it is going to go live tomorrow ,

Where?

Oh well I'll just have to scour the country tomorrow for groupon carpet deals

Buckland

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 08:22:48 pm »
Southampton Groupon CC - something very odd going on with this one as when I first looked at it I am certain it said over 450 sold (at 28 quid for 86 quid value for 2 rooms plus stairs or hallway) and that was just this morning

Now it says 55 sold - same offer, same busy fools
Buckland Carpet & Fabric Care :: 01590 688938
www.SteamCleanCarpetService.co.uk

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 09:14:44 pm »
I've just had a shout from the other room that someone has sold over 300 'deals' with them to be done by the end of November :o
Anyone want to do the sums on how jobs per day that is between today and end of Nov.......amazing

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 09:25:53 pm »
http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/southampton/southampton-carpet-cleaners/551136

Strange one here in Southampton, only 1 deal available

Andrew

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 09:29:16 pm »
Working 7 day a week based on 25 days left in Oct and 30 in Nov = 55 days that's 6 jobs a day quite plausible specially if they are all grouped together.

Shaun

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 09:34:00 pm »
Working 7 day a week based on 25 days left in Oct and 30 in Nov = 55 days that's 6 jobs a day quite plausible specially if they are all grouped together.

£90 a day with no time to do 'extras'
Yeh we'll all have some of that please......just in time to take December off through exhaustion

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 09:40:12 pm »
take a look at their website, they arnt taking any calls or emails

http://www.thecarpetcleaners.org/

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 09:42:09 pm »
offer says work lasts 1 hour, and looks like they are doing low moisture method/ dry in 1 hour

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2011, 09:46:05 pm »
do you know ... you guys really do not know how this groupon works do ya.  Firstly the vouchers are vailid for 6 months so as for some one stating they cleared em all up in 3 weeks... what a load of sh**. We have, and are still doing 3 Groupon campaigns and our experience tells us that you get a quick influx then people simply hold on to the vouchers as they can be used upto six months later. We get phone calls on a daily basis of people booking in a clean on a Groupon voucher and we expect this for at least 5 months. Oh and we sold 500.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2011, 09:52:06 pm »
I agree Neil £90 isn't enough but the job totals shouldn't be an excuse that's providing all of the jobs are carried out.

Shaun

PS Imagine if there are a cleaner and a helper also there are stipulations on furniture moving, I bet 2 people with LM could do a job with some small upsell in under an hour.

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2011, 09:55:28 pm »
5 Months of cheap Groupon cleaning! I'd rather get them all done altogther and out the way.

Helen

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2011, 10:02:48 pm »
do you know ... you guys really do not know how this groupon works do ya.  Firstly the vouchers are vailid for 6 months so as for some one stating they cleared em all up in 3 weeks... what a load of sh**. We have, and are still doing 3 Groupon campaigns and our experience tells us that you get a quick influx then people simply hold on to the vouchers as they can be used upto six months later. We get phone calls on a daily basis of people booking in a clean on a Groupon voucher and we expect this for at least 5 months. Oh and we sold 500.

So why does this one in particular say expires 20 nov 2011.
Yours says 25 March 2012 which is well worked out in order to keep your normal business going, although I can't quite see the 500 sold though, but I guess some of them were because of Groupn and not directkly through Groupon :)

Helen

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2011, 10:04:32 pm »

Shaun
Offer does say mon - fri, but perhaps he has to work the weekends to fullfill :)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2011, 10:08:43 pm »
As Mick says we are missing the point as most of us (me included) can't see his and Jason's bigger picture, we can only see the £28 for 2 rooms with £14 going to the cleaner so can you spell it out for us?

Shaun

Helen

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2011, 10:13:58 pm »
As Mick says we are missing the point as most of us (me included) can't see his and Jason's bigger picture, we can only see the £28 for 2 rooms with £14 going to the cleaner so can you spell it out for us?

Shaun

I can see the bigger picture which is the "add on advertsing" that happens, bringing traffic into their sites, bringing normal priced work in...........still wouldn't do the Groupon thing though! :)

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2011, 10:15:35 pm »

Oh come on Shaun keep up will you ;D
It's all about getting a database full of names and addresses even if it does mean running at a loss for months ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2011, 10:16:41 pm »
Shaun,
It's simple. Take a loss of let's call it £55 per job, throw in some widely exaggerated figures (unsubstantiated, of course) then multiply it by three / divide by pie squared with chips and gravy and hey presto, you've made a stonking profit out of a loss. Simples. :D

Paul Heath

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2011, 10:17:33 pm »
I don't undertsand all this groupon rubbish.
Do you really need the customer that is always looking for a cheap fix, in order to get all the jobs done you will have to rush jobs.
You are not going to earn enough out of the deal to replace machinery, as this will be working harder.
If you all keep "running campaigns" then the only winner is goupon, so they will try selling there service to all of us, as its easy money for them.
As the saying goes " I'm OUT"
I would much rather do the best job i am able to do and build a client basis who apreciate a good job for what i feel is a competitive rate and not a false encomony, by offering heavily discounted prices, just to improve your turnover in the very short term
If everybody stopped saying yes to groupon they would not be able to offer such deals.
Just my thoughts..

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2011, 10:18:10 pm »
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2011, 10:25:50 pm »
"So why does this one in particular say expires 20 nov 2011.
Yours says 25 March 2012 which is well worked out in order to keep your normal business going, although I can't quite see the 500 sold though, but I guess some of them were because of Groupn and not directkly through Groupon" -

Ok guys - This is what actually happens - Groupon contact you and ask you if you want to take part - We number cruched this for a couple of weeks and carried out further feasibility studies.

You then agree with Groupon when this offer goes live.
The first day is normally the most successfull (sales).
People pay for their groupon voucher (or they contact you directly like most did). This is the classed as the main feature.
The second day Groupon advertise your offer as a previous deal and yet again sales are made or the customers contact you directly as before.
To cut a long story short - on the 5th day customers can still purchase Groupon vouchers or still contact you directly.

The vouchers are valid for 6 months in our case because thats what Groupon stated was the norm.

This works for us very well as it allows us to mix groupon work with our regular work and the customers that have contacted us directly - every day we have a selection of groupon, regular and new customers.

So far to date we have obtained various commercial contracts including a major carpet retailer chain store group, schools, churches, property investors, estate agents etc - without Groupon none of this would of happened as the Groupon Marketing methods are excellent as they reach the customers that you alone would never be able to reach and all this comes with no financial outlay.

Next - Jason if you have actually carried out the Groupon offer please be so kind to explain to these good folk how you go about redeeming the voucher !!!

Anyone want to know anything else ?

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2011, 10:37:43 pm »
We had lots of calls from people in Southampton wanting to book groupon ( we have a site that ends .co.UK and the guy doing it is .com. ALL of the people had  purchased vouchers and NONE were just booking direct and none of them were commercial customers.

Simon

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2011, 10:39:02 pm »
Elite Cleaning Hampshire - Groupon - Offer !!!!!! oh boy and still 73 hours to go - heres your first mistake - what you should of done is restrict the postcodes in the areas, because now everybody is going to book ONLY with the Groupon voucher, by restricting the postcode actually gains you hundreds of bookings outside groupon at the offer price you tell them on the phone that is specifically tailored for their postcode area -  oh well never mind ;D ;)

jasonl

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2011, 10:42:11 pm »
It would be 3 solid weeks work  to carry out the 210 jobs I would get from 300 vouchers sold , remember I have 2 vans on the road ,and can easily split a set of kit and make it 3 vans .

The work will be carried out over 2 months though ,as obviously my regular insurance work will be carried out too.

Tomorrows deal will be in Sheffield .

Max size of any one carpet will be 12m2 , any excess charged at £2.50/m2   no stairs in offer.

To redeem the offer the customer gives me a voucher code which I save in batches and when I have the amount I want to submit I e mail them to Groupon  and within 5 days the payment is in my bank , I wont say what the percentage is , however it is a lot more than 50.  

It is about the upsell not the base amount I get from Groupon .
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2011, 10:48:13 pm »
We had lots of calls from people in Southampton wanting to book groupon ( we have a site that ends .co.UK and the guy doing it is .com. ALL of the people had  purchased vouchers and NONE were just booking direct and none of them were commercial customers.

Simon

Sorry failed to mention that we actually cleaned these peoples houses first. - They saw the quality of the work and then stated they wanted quotes doing. All quotes done and accepted.

They stated that they understood the Groupon Marketing Method and based on the quality of our Works can see why we have opted in.

You never know who's house your cleaning - we have actually cleaned 2 No. very famous peoples properties and got paid above average rate for the additional works - which they offerred. There was no upsell on our part.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2011, 10:50:12 pm »
Up selling leaves a nasty taste in the customers mouth, as  tho they have been had and if you adopt that tactic you they are unlikely to use you again which kills of the notion of using groupon as database builder.

Simon

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2011, 10:53:43 pm »

To redeem the offer the customer gives me a voucher code which I save in batches and when I have the amount I want to submit I e mail them to Groupon  and within 5 days the payment is in my bank , I wont say what the percentage is , however it is a lot more than 50.  

???

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2011, 10:56:29 pm »
Up selling leaves a nasty taste in the customers mouth, as  tho they have been had and if you adopt that tactic you they are unlikely to use you again which kills of the notion of using groupon as database builder.

Simon

Got to agree with you - the future customer is in the quality of the works

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2011, 10:58:09 pm »

Simon

Sorry failed to mention that we actually cleaned these peoples houses first. - They saw the quality of the work and then stated they wanted quotes doing. All quotes done and accepted.

They stated that they understood the Groupon Marketing Method and based on the quality of our Works can see why we have opted in.

You never know who's house your cleaning - we have actually cleaned 2 No. very famous peoples properties and got paid above average rate for the additional works - which they offerred. There was no upsell on our part

Sorry, you've lost me with that lot.

Simon

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2011, 11:02:45 pm »
The commercial works were offered by the people whose houses we cleaned. As I said you never know who they people are or who they work for or in what capacity.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2011, 11:10:33 pm »
Sorry for sounding sceptical but I've been in this business for 36 years and have done tens of thousands of jobs and never managed to pick up jobs as you say in such short time.
So far to date we have obtained various commercial contracts including a major carpet retailer chain store group, schools, churches, property investors, estate agents etc - without Groupon none of this would of happened as the Groupon Marketing methods are excellent as they reach the customers that you alone would never be able to reach and all this comes with no financial outlay.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2011, 11:11:40 pm »
The main trouble is I and Simon and many others on here already have our own customer base and for years have got them to pay 'our' prices we don't want to go down the discount route because we are looking for more money for less work (it's true) so to get the amount of work Groupon can bring in sounds wonderful but at the prices charged means we'd have to work harder, the only harder I work is by nurturing my clients, for years Alltec and Joe Polish have been telling us to work smarter not harder Groupon seems to be the exact opposite, luckily the phone still ringings for me.....until Jason's deal starts!

Shaun

jasonl

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2011, 11:14:49 pm »
Its limited to 300 deals tomorrow Shaun , and the  people who buy would not otherwise be calling you in the next 2 months.

It is such a shift in thinking that a lot just will not understand how it can be beneficial to a business, as has been said existing established businesses will not benefit from Groupon .
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2011, 11:18:52 pm »
Yeah,it is a shift in thinking - to side the side of bonkers ;D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2011, 11:20:17 pm »
Phew.....

but like you say Groupon shouldn't affect me different customer, I'm not knocking it just would like to understand it 100% as most of us don't.

Be interesting to read the stats though, age group etc

Shaun

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2011, 11:20:30 pm »
Shaun and Simon as you may be aware, we have only just relocated to this area 5 months ago - its is RUG DOCTOR country - even commercial premises are being cleaned by Mr RD down here - what more can I say.

Glynn

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2011, 11:26:34 pm »
A few Questions  for Jason,
Please answer with straight answers & not like a  politician.

Out of 300 Groupon jobs:
1) how long would it take you ?
2) what would it cost your business ?
3) what profit would you make ?
Regards
Glynn

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2011, 11:28:15 pm »
Monty,
I just don't see how you are going to build a loyal customer base on the back of a bunch of cheap skates. But if it's better than sitting at home earning nothing, then fair enough, I suppose.

Simon

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2011, 11:32:39 pm »

Out of 300 Groupon jobs:

Glynn,
Please don't encourage him. He is afterball the master of embellishment so you're as likely to get a straight answer as you are to grown hair ;D

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2011, 11:35:22 pm »
Shaun, so far our stats show that 95% of groupon customers are "high end" - solicitors, doctors etc (people with money) average age -  late 30's-45 with teenagers.

We have found that people are using Groupon to find out what the companies are like as they have been ripped off in the past with poor quality works.

So far we have gained extra work off every groupon customer whether it has been their houses, their relatives or friends and even their place of works.

Seriously, have any of you ever directly marketed 400,000 (Bristol/Bath) people in 5 days with backing from a major worldwide company and if so at what cost ? - It was free.

Its not for everyone - but it is working for us

jasonl

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2011, 11:38:17 pm »

Out of 300 Groupon jobs:

Based on the last time .

It will take  around 3oo man hours to carry out the 200 jobs resulting directly

It will cost around 5-6k to do the actual work

I expect around 4-5 k net profit directly

I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2011, 11:43:10 pm »
OMG - Dog has just done an arse shuffle of the rug !!!!! :o

Do I  :-

1. Start the Truckmount up         or,

2. Do some spotting

Vote now please

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2011, 11:48:39 pm »

2. Do some spotting

Vote now please

call someone doing groupon !!

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2011, 11:59:38 pm »
Like it Andrew - now get back on Bejeweled and beat my score lol

derek west

« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2011, 11:59:59 pm »

2. Do some spotting

Vote now please
or 3) do an arse shuffle in the dog basket, see how he likes it. ;D

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2011, 12:05:38 am »
What are you still doing awake Derek ?

jasonl

« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2011, 12:05:54 am »
Let the downfall , and doom of my business continue ,as I work all hours for no pay when I could be sat in the house watching Jeremy Kyle .

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/sheffield/cleaning-master/1052060
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2011, 12:08:03 am »
Would it not of been an idea to limit the postcodes Jason? Having said that I have no idea how big sheffield is.

Good luck

Tony

jasonl

« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2011, 12:09:44 am »
The farthest S postcode is 28 miles away , though I will be grouping areas by day .
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

jasonl

« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2011, 08:42:37 am »
08.38   7 deals sold , 2 web enquiries  from website featured on the Groupon site , booked one in £160  , other one no answer , I have had one enquiry from that site in 3 months  previously.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

bennymon

« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2011, 09:38:28 am »
do you work on your own jason

jasonl

« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2011, 09:39:17 am »
No I dont
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

JandS

« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2011, 10:02:46 am »
"2 web enquiries  from website featured on the Groupon site , booked one in £160"

So they saw your deal but decided to pay more?

Sorry but I think doing a cheap deal like that I would
tend to rush just a little bit and cut a corner or 2 to make
up for the loss of earnings.

It's good for people who provide a service providing goods
as people will buy it, see the quality and come back for more
at the full price    food is a good example.
But a service provider     they'll just look for the next cheap
deal.

As for Monty's sudden abundance of commercial work   pass
me the salt cellar.

John

Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

jasonl

« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2011, 10:07:12 am »
the 2 enquiries , (now5)  were from commercial  premises, I guess people get the emails at work ,its not their money they are spending , so they call the available , easy and fast to find carpet cleaner.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2011, 11:11:11 am »

As for Monty's sudden abundance of commercial work   pass
me the salt cellar.

I will post the photos when job has been done ok

Would you like some lemon with your salt ?

JandS

« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2011, 11:19:47 am »
Post the photos?
Just post them now, I can post photos too from 3 years ago.
You said loads not one.
Think I'll have the salt straight.

John

« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2011, 03:44:10 pm »
take a look at their website, they arnt taking any calls or emails

http://www.thecarpetcleaners.org/

coz I have been on holiday for 10 days that is why...........

any questions fire away

my skid lid is fully visible above the trench at the moment....

AshWhite

« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2011, 04:19:25 pm »

any questions fire away

Did you have a nice holiday?

;D
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2011, 04:29:56 pm »
yes thanks mate

even hotter in France than it was here..

by the way that was a repeat of the original groupon offer 2 months ago. Not authorised by me, and no new customers, it was just up.

I have already done over 200 of the 401 who originally bought the deal, and NO would not do it again.

Hilton

« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2011, 05:01:18 pm »
Let the downfall , and doom of my business continue ,as I work all hours for no pay when I could be sat in the house watching Jeremy Kyle .

As I understand it, and I might be wrong,

Does not this offer equate to a 81% loss to you on the quoted price, plus 2.5% on all CC transactions taken by Groupon on your behalf.

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2011, 05:08:03 pm »
Post the photos?
Just post them now, I can post photos too from 3 years ago.
You said loads not one.
Think I'll have the salt straight.

John

Personally I would NEVER of even considered posting photos that were three years old.

Secondly I was always told "never lower your standards to meet others"

So I am not.

As I said before, Groupon is not for everyone, they are merely a marketing tool, its how you use it that counts.

Enough said.

jasonl

« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2011, 05:14:09 pm »

Does not this offer equate to a 81% loss to you on the quoted price, plus 2.5% on all CC transactions taken by Groupon on your behalf.

Correct , you are wrong
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

rycalshaw

« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2011, 05:24:04 pm »
i think everyone seems to think that all groupon buyers are tight wads and scroungers but thats not really the case,i get at least 3 emails per day from groupon and i don,t even know where they got my email address, so out of the thousands of emails sent there is going to be people who genuinely need a carpet cleaner and are more than willing to pay but have been offered it cheap, that doesn,t mean that everytime they want anything they go running to groupon. if your kids wanted a 50" plasma for crimbo and you got an email saying you could save £150 you,d take it  it,s human nature.  i think as an operator you have to be careful to not let your standards drop which i imagine is quite easy to do only earning peanuts,but if you build a rappor with the custy and do a great job leave em a business card for their cork board theres every chance they,ll use you again and reccomend you to friends etc..there are always going to be bargain hunters trawling groupon but i don,t think we should tar them all with the same brush...

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2011, 05:34:01 pm »
i think everyone seems to think that all groupon buyers are tight wads and scroungers but thats not really the case,i get at least 3 emails per day from groupon and i don,t even know where they got my email address, so out of the thousands of emails sent there is going to be people who genuinely need a carpet cleaner and are more than willing to pay but have been offered it cheap, that doesn,t mean that everytime they want anything they go running to groupon. if your kids wanted a 50" plasma for crimbo and you got an email saying you could save £150 you,d take it  it,s human nature.  i think as an operator you have to be careful to not let your standards drop which i imagine is quite easy to do only earning peanuts,but if you build a rappor with the custy and do a great job leave em a business card for their cork board theres every chance they,ll use you again and reccomend you to friends etc..there are always going to be bargain hunters trawling groupon but i don,t think we should tar them all with the same brush...

Well Said

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2011, 05:36:52 pm »
My brother in law uses groupon he uses it for treats for him, his wife and for his staff last week he bought a deal at a spa which included massage and colonic Irrigation :o

Shaun

Ps thanks for explaining the system Jason I understand it now, god I'm thick!

Simon Gerrard

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2011, 07:04:59 pm »
Monty,
The reason people are so sceptical about figures quoted and claims made by Grouponeers is that they are just figures and claims and cannot be substantiated. Take Jason this morning, he claims at 8.38 he had two commercial enquiries when at that time people hadn't even arrived at work. Likewise all the claims you've made which cannot be substantiated.

What makes me suspicious is if I had come across a rich vein of new customers that on the face of it looked like a a complete waste of time to everyone else, but in reality was a gold mine, I'd keep my mouth firmly shut and let the cynics think what they like. You and Jason, in the face of all the cynicism seem to respond to it with ever more claims,  perhaps and quite naturally, because you don't want the rest of us thinking you're a plonker for doing Groupon. If it's so good -shut up and keep it to yourself otherwise you'll have you competitors doing it too and so lose your advantage over them.

Simon

JandS

« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2011, 07:07:17 pm »
They've been cleaning domestics for ages then
soon as they get Groupon domestics they're raking
in the commercial??
Strange that.

John

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2011, 07:09:01 pm »
Yeah and it never seems to happen with such freequency for the rest of us - stranger still. ;D

derek west

« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2011, 07:14:39 pm »
Monty,
The reason people are so sceptical about figures quoted and claims made by Grouponeers is that they are just figures and claims and cannot be substantiated. Take Jason this morning, he claims at 8.38 he had two commercial enquiries when at that time people hadn't even arrived at work. Likewise all the claims you've made which cannot be substantiated.

What makes me suspicious is if I had come across a rich vein of new customers that on the face of it looked like a a complete waste of time to everyone else, but in reality was a gold mine, I'd keep my mouth firmly shut and let the cynics think what they like. You and Jason, in the face of all the cynicism seem to respond to it with ever more claims,  perhaps and quite naturally, because you don't want the rest of us thinking you're a plonker for doing Groupon. If it's so good -shut up and keep it to yourself otherwise you'll have you competitors doing it too and so lose your advantage over them.

Simon

couldn't that be used about truckmounts simon,  ;D ;D ;D sorry mate, couldn't resist ;D

ps... truckmounts are rubbish, they don't do any better or quicker, its just us stopping ourselves from getting embarrassed after throwing all that money away.int that right simon ;)

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2011, 07:18:28 pm »
That's it Mr West. I just had a spare £60k sitting about after a succession of highly profitable Groupon jobs in Timbuktu that brought in floods of new customers all willing to pay ten times the odds for a crap job. ;D

wynne jones

« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2011, 07:26:10 pm »
Monty,

Simon

It could be a double bluff though Simon  ;)
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Hilton

« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2011, 07:42:39 pm »

Correct , you are wrong

In what way...

« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2011, 07:43:03 pm »
I must have done something wrong with my groupon advert then.

401 sold.

working nuts off to clean them all

95% very rich people who just take the p

1 job booked in at full price,

however 25% have had extra work done ordered at the time of booking, that said....

out of the £29 groupon split it 50/50 and then they take 20% VAT so out of £29 I get £11.60 per job

I tried it...

Will not ever be trying it again.... it did get me out of the short term financial crud that I was in after moving area.

Thanks Simon got your mail will reply tomorrow after I get me holiday head off... ;D

Hilton

« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2011, 07:44:46 pm »
So i was right then

« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2011, 07:51:51 pm »
You may have been if I had not upped my price on the website.

I cannot comment on Jasons profits etc.

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2011, 08:58:34 pm »
As I stated before not only on this thread about GROUPON but on others.  

We carried out a feasability study prior to entering the agreement.

Our deal with groupon does not seem to be the same as other companies deals.

Our advert was nothing like Jason's advert.

I do not know what the people are like in your areas, nor do I know what your company set up is, how you operate or your standard of work or the equipment your run and I certainly do not know how you handle your customers on the phone or in person or even how experienced you are or how long it takes you to carry out a job or what your normal price is.

I have answered peoples questions when asked and I certainly do not think that it is appropriate to slate people or their workmanship when you dont know them or even live in their area.

Groupon has worked for us.

As you said Hector - It got you out of the short term financial crud - so it did do something for you then ????

Adam P

« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2011, 11:16:44 pm »
monty: i assume hector didn't take a pay so at least when depserate it gets you by just about, but possibly making it worse for the future so it's a short term very tiny gain with possibly long term big bad effects, as now groupon are richer, they've got more satisfied customers who'll recommend groupon to others, so less jobs for us and groupon has more money to find and steal our customers. if hector took a pay out of the £11.60 per job (not per hour) including travel time and all other costs i'll be shocked what it was. as has been said many times a quick job at macdo would have paid more.

jason: perhaps a bit too late plus i didn't read the whole thread so may have been said, but the number one questoin to me which you missed was, WOULD YOU PAY FULL PRICE/3 X THE PRICE YOU JUST PAID NEXT TIME YOU WANT YOUR CARPETS CLEANED OR GO BACK TO GROUPON NOW THAT YOU'VE SEEN PAYING PENNIES FOR CAPRET CLEANING THROUGH GROUPON WORKS?

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2011, 06:57:26 pm »
monty:
jason: perhaps a bit too late plus i didn't read the whole thread so may have been said, but the number one questoin to me which you missed was, WOULD YOU PAY FULL PRICE/3 X THE PRICE YOU JUST PAID NEXT TIME YOU WANT YOUR CARPETS CLEANED OR GO BACK TO GROUPON NOW THAT YOU'VE SEEN PAYING PENNIES FOR CAPRET CLEANING THROUGH GROUPON WORKS?
Don't ask inconvenient questions like that, you're unlickly to get an answer. ;D

« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2011, 07:09:42 pm »
licky licky, licky licky  ;D
Have you started on the booze already ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2011, 07:14:22 pm »
Not yet, Neil. This is my sensible side. I'm down your way next week looking for some domestic carpet cleaning with LM as I've never seen it on domestics.

Simon

mark_roberts

« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2011, 07:15:44 pm »
Why groupon and not living social where you get all the money even from those who dont use the token so Im told.

Mark

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2011, 07:16:46 pm »
Mark,
Coz they are trying to lose as much money as possible. ;D

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #100 on: October 06, 2011, 07:20:43 pm »
Simon hope your going to help hector out with some of those groupon cleans ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2011, 07:24:37 pm »
Sure am, we'll be doing 10 an hour and printing money with all the extras, car dealerships, national contracts and other side benefits  ;D

« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2011, 07:29:21 pm »
Mark,
Coz they are trying to lose as much money as possible. ;D

yup and it works

;D ;D

« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2011, 07:29:54 pm »
Sure am, we'll be doing 10 an hour and printing money with all the extras, car dealerships, national contracts and other side benefits  ;D

and I will sit and watch then  ;D ;D

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2011, 07:32:54 pm »
Hope your not splitting the money ;D £28 groupon take half + vat say £16.80

leaving you & hector £11.20 so half that let me see that's a whopping £5.60 each ;D ;D

Hector keep all the tips and big commercial jobs until simon's gone i will help you with them mate ;D ;D
After all were practicly neighbours me and you ;)

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2011, 07:36:48 pm »
I've never seen LM on domestic before so should be interesting.
Hector I'm free for a few hours on Monday.

Simon

« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2011, 07:47:39 pm »
got a nice domestic in so15 at 1230 on monday
will email later with details if you like

;D

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #107 on: October 06, 2011, 07:52:15 pm »
so15 yeah at those prices it was me that booked you my carpets are filthy ;D
Still i will give you a nice tip ;)

DONT DO GROUPON AGAIN ;D ;D ;D