Pittmonkey

Sweet old Edna
« on: May 25, 2007, 07:04:58 pm »
Week 3 and I’ve gone and broke the advice I received of keeping to a min price. I’ve been quoting minimum price of £10 no matter how small the property and so far so good, until I met dear old Edna today.

She rang for a quote explaining the previous cleaner kept messing her about, never new if he was coming or not and more often than not he didn’t.

“He hasn’t been for a least 6 weeks and I don’t like my windows to be dirty” she explained.

On my way there I new this was going to be one of those “He used to charge me £2” I was wrong it was £1.50. :o

Small bungalow with only 5 windows, how the hell am I going to be able to keep to my min price on this one I thought?

Sweet old Edna was sat there waiting for me, lovely lady very sweet. Quoted £5 for 4 weekly clean and felt really guilty.

Anyone else succumbed to the charms of Edna?

Wayne
'Success is buried in the garden of failure'

Chris Cottrell

Re: Sweet old Edna
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 07:33:55 pm »
Anyone else succumbed to the charms of Edna?

No  :o Give em your price n stick to it , if she doesnt like it let her keep her £1.50 clean , you got a business to run .... end of

Chris

LWC

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 07:38:39 pm »
no wonder he messed her about mate

Pittmonkey

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 07:51:07 pm »
Yep, I can see the reasons why he couldn't be bothered turning up and probably fell for Ednas charms, like I did. She isn't manipulative she's just the genuine sweet old dear who everyone wishes their granny to be. Not a posh pensioner just the type who gets by.

I could have quoted £10 and maybe she would have gone for it, I'll never know. I know business is business but I'm not that hardened, or maybe I should I be.

Shurley sombody else has done the same.

Wayne
'Success is buried in the garden of failure'

LWC

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 08:07:49 pm »
£5 ... 5 windows ... 5 minutes, good one  ;)

Pat Purcell

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 08:54:03 pm »
Some times the good feeling you get from doing jobs like this is worth more than money
Of course dear old Edna is right now busy telling her neighbours about the thieving bas88rd charging her 5 quid ;D
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

JM123

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 08:55:29 pm »
I have a number of 'oldies' that I don't even bother charging for.  I know I have a business to run but is there anyone here that can honestly say to me that they cannot afford to stop earning for 10 mins in the day?

The state pension doesn't allow them to live the high life, and considering many of these oldies have hard a much harder life than any of us can imagine I think its only fair that I help them out a little.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

JM123

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 08:56:01 pm »
Pat, just seen your post!

you're so right!!
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

matt

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 09:04:58 pm »
tut tut

you will never be earning 5 K a week with that attitude  :P :P :P

notice the  :P :P   ..... ;D ;D

Paul Coleman

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 09:39:22 pm »
I have a number of 'oldies' that I don't even bother charging for.  I know I have a business to run but is there anyone here that can honestly say to me that they cannot afford to stop earning for 10 mins in the day?

The state pension doesn't allow them to live the high life, and considering many of these oldies have hard a much harder life than any of us can imagine I think its only fair that I help them out a little.

I've been a bit of a softie as well but I will be in danger of ending up as a poor old pensioner if I undercharge too often.  Having said that, I've still got a few jobs like that.

NWH

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 09:42:04 pm »
If it was only a couple of small places and i`d had a good week i`d do them for a cup of tea.

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 09:53:38 pm »
Yep, I can see the reasons why he couldn't be bothered turning up and probably fell for Ednas charms, like I did. She isn't manipulative she's just the genuine sweet old dear who everyone wishes their granny to be. Not a posh pensioner just the type who gets by.

I could have quoted £10 and maybe she would have gone for it, I'll never know. I know business is business but I'm not that hardened, or maybe I should I be.

Shurley sombody else has done the same.

Wayne

too right show some love for edna, not like your going to lose money

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 10:58:18 pm »
£5 ... 5 windows ... 5 minutes, good one  ;)

Exactly ???

Are YOU happy ???

If so who gives a s**t ;) ;D

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

jeff1

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 11:29:32 pm »
I have loads of Edna's and I love them all. ;D ;D

You have to  make a living and you are doing her a favour, if you feel guilty about charging her £5 for her windows, then include her frames in it, Edna will like it knowing she's having a better Job done for a little extra.

East coast window cleaning Services

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 11:57:36 pm »
iu got quite a few of them but get shed loads of recommends
P&R Window Cleaning

macmac

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2007, 12:05:35 am »
I think you did the right thing wayne ;)

tony

gordonswindows

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2007, 12:22:25 am »
huh poor old pensioners  my a*"e!!!!

They live rent free ,get a minimum £205 per week from the state, cold weather allowance, free buses,cheap hair cuts and even all the jobs in B and Q etc etc all for standing around in the post office queue doing nothing but moaning about how hard life is !!  Cmon sweet edna is laughing up her sleeve at you, she saw you coming and wait till all her pals from the bingo tea get you for a fiver you wont have any time left to make money for your own retirement.Do you really believe the stories about her old w/c? more like he tried to charge your MINIMUM CHARGE and she told him to get lost or maybe he stopped going back because she never paid her bills.

They didnt all "get bombed" during the war, who do you think the scallies the burglars the scroungers were 40 years ago yes sweet old edna and her pals thats who and they are still doing it today.They could always get a free drink at the bar by saying and doing the right things when they were young and now just cos their old well they dont lose their touch.
I bet you end up changing that light bulb she cant reach or clearing her path in the snow......if you want to do good go and be a charity volunteer and help the real unfortunates who live cold hungry and forgotten on the street.

Otherwise stop driving down the prices for all the other window cleaners and stick to YOUR policy and let us all make a decent profit
regards
gordon

Don't Give Up
@askforthemoney

Cleaner Windows

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2007, 06:49:27 am »
 :o  ;D
when I'm cleaning windows

Ian Rochester

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2007, 07:14:12 am »
We have an estate of 81 "Ednas" all one bedroom bungalows, 4 windows and a door, we charge £4 a time and can have the whole lot done with 2 people in about 3-4 hours.

They all pay at the door, or their neighbour pays for them.

I did think in the past about having a minimum price, but to be honest it wasn't fair on the customer, we price the work for what needs done and how far out of the way it is.

If someone next door to where I'm already cleaning asks me to clean 2 ground floor windows, then we will do it and charge them accordingly.

However, I do agree if you have a single house and need to get either your WFP or ladders off for the one job then a premium price must be charged.

Londoner

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2007, 07:45:12 am »
What you don't say is how long her previous cleaner had been doing her windows for £1.50. The problem with the Ednas of this world is that you never put the prices up and as time goes on they get stuck in a time warp.

I did my "Edna" this week. A four bedroom detatched house with a big conservatory which I do for £10. Window for window thats worse than your bungalow for a fiver. Every time I go I think I must be mad. It takes me an hour.