Cleaner Windows

wc's..what equipment do you use?
« on: July 04, 2006, 09:13:04 pm »
i use pulex rubber and tools by unger and plain ol fairy liquid with tap water in my bucket.
i was told when i started pulex was the best to use..do you think this is true and why?
and are the proper cleaning fluids you can buy actually any better than fairy liquid.

also, does anybody use the special sorts of water(is it distilled or de-ionised or something) i mean like..what difference would that make to cleaning a window as i never really seem to get any complaints about the windows i clean, apart from the occasional smear that i missed!!

your views would be appreciated ;)  many thanx
when I'm cleaning windows

jouk45

Re: wc's..what equipment do you use?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 09:17:21 pm »
dennis, alot of folk use gg3 and gg4 mixed with pure water for to clean the glass instead of fairy,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Window-Cleaning-High-Performance-GG3-GG4_W0QQitemZ4460641412QQihZ001QQcategoryZ11702QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cleaner Windows

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 09:25:21 pm »
dennis, alot of folk use gg3 and gg4 mixed with pure water for to clean the glass instead of fairy,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Window-Cleaning-High-Performance-GG3-GG4_W0QQitemZ4460641412QQihZ001QQcategoryZ11702QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
but why jouk why? :) is it any better and why is it better?

jouk45

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 09:31:07 pm »
i dont use it dennis, but the other guys that use it, swear its the best they have ever used,

jeff1

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 09:33:38 pm »

but why jouk why? :) is it any better and why is it better?

Good glide, less suds and overall a better Job.
ask homer looks like he uses it for better slip. ;D ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 09:35:21 pm »
Hi dennis

We use Pulex normally. Bought some SYR rubbers and to be honest were very impressed with them. Its just a pain to get them oround here.

We also use pure water for our solution...  what a difference!!!! We use a detergent that we get form a guy that comes up here every Friday. Its called Evans High Class.  Its fabulous to use and it even smells nice. Not expensive at all either. We use very little detergent because of the pure water and detailing is almost a thing of the past. In fact all we do is apply... quick wipe round the edges with a scrim (it can be almost wet) then whip over with the squeegee. The results ARE better and they last longer.

Cheers

Andrew

Juyst seen Jeff's lil quip..  LOL   ;D  ;D

Cleaner Windows

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 09:42:49 pm »
Hi dennis

We use Pulex normally. Bought some SYR rubbers and to be honest were very impressed with them. Its just a pain to get them oround here.

We also use pure water for our solution...  what a difference!!!! We use a detergent that we get form a guy that comes up here every Friday. Its called Evans High Class.  Its fabulous to use and it even smells nice. Not expensive at all either. We use very little detergent because of the pure water and detailing is almost a thing of the past. In fact all we do is apply... quick wipe round the edges with a scrim (it can be almost wet) then whip over with the squeegee. The results ARE better and they last longer.

Cheers

Andrew

Juyst seen Jeff's lil quip..  LOL   ;D  ;D
thanks for the detailed answer, good hard facts!! cheers dude..and i hear jeff uses it for better slip too lol

Cleaner Windows

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 09:44:09 pm »
Dennis, Fairy is probably the worst liquid you can use for window cleaning (it's designed for cleaning dishes not windows). There are loads of alternatives which are specialy made for the job. Having a great cleaning solution makes the day go quicker! Any half decent supplier will have a selection to choose from, get and try them all over a few months, it will hardly break the bank but could make all the difference.
surely fairy cant be that bad eh? lol i hope not..ive been using it for about 6 years or so hehe

jeff1

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 09:46:22 pm »
. Bought some SYR rubbers

i hear jeff uses it for better slip too lol  :o :o :o :o
Yes I do but I don't use those rubbers though  ;D ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 09:56:59 pm »
Ya smutty lot   ;D

This is one for Daff to jump into I reckon  lol

Re detergents...  tried em all..  From Fairy (YUK) through to Ettore squeegee off, GG4 and 3.. the 3 to go with the pure water, Glimmergleam. et al.  The best by a long way for quality and value is the Evans High Class.. especially with the pure water. Deals with nicotine etc no prob at all. If anyone is interested in giving it a go I am happy to put the number of the supplier up for you. The only issue would be that you would be best to buy 4 x 5ltr containers of it..  that way the shipping wont be too bad per container.  A lot of my WFP customers buy it this way. They all seem very happy with it.

Cheers

Andrew

BTW the Mrs likes the slip on it as well   ;D  Oii!! before you start she does sometimes clean windows  ;)

Cleaner Windows

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 10:02:49 pm »
Ya smutty lot   ;D

Re detergents...  tried em all..  From Fairy (YUK) through to Ettore squeegee off, GG4 and 3.. the 3 to go with the pure water, Glimmergleam. et al.  The best by a long way for quality and value is the Evans High Class.. especially with the pure water. Deals with nicotine etc no prob at all. If anyone is interested in giving it a go I am happy to put the number of the supplier up for you. The only issue would be that you would be best to buy 4 x 5ltr containers of it..  that way the shipping wont be too bad per container.  A lot of my WFP customers buy it this way. They all seem very happy with it.

Cheers

Andrew

BTW the Mrs likes the slip on it as well   ;D  Oii!! before you start she does sometimes clean windows  ;)

lol i better not say anything rude then eh!! ;)

Cleaner Windows

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 10:06:24 pm »
Ya smutty lot   ;D

Cheers

Andrew

andrew..what is pure water anyway..is it just distilled? and if it is or not..can i make it myself or do you have to buy it? thanks :)

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 10:32:35 pm »
Actually distilled water is pure.

Us WFP users use reverse osmosis and/or deionisation resin in vessels to purify our water for WFP purposes.

You can buy very cheap units to get a decent enough supply of pure water to use on trad..  such as this one...  it has everything you need to make plenty of water.. and it has a free TDS meter thrown in for the time being ( The TDS meter measures the water purity.)

http://www.ro-man.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/22/products_id/190

Cheers

Andrew

paul mather

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 11:12:52 pm »
I use Glass Gleam 3. Just a quick squirt in a bucket makes your blade glide over the glass. I still like to put fairy on my applicator, I suppose old habits die hard.If you use some in a spray bottle it brings leaded windows up a treat.
But I'm waiting on my new WFP system from Gardiners which is being delivered tomorrow so hopefuly my  use of GG3 will soon be cut back.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 11:27:39 pm »
I've just started with Pulex rubbers.
Good and bad points really.

They don't get cut up and leave lines like the Ungers used to, but......
Definately not so smooth and fast on the glass.

They also get "blunt" and streaky pretty quick.
Don't know if I'll stick with them or not.

Could do with a fast rubber that lasts, but that might be asking too much. :-\

Rog.

Morph

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2006, 11:39:51 pm »
might be asking too much. :-\

Rog.

You usually are :-\

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2006, 12:34:01 am »
Hmmm personally I cannot understand why anyone uses gg3/4 everyone praises it but I found it was terrible the only way of getting any slip on that stuff is by using about 10x the recomended dose "and I tried it with pure water" for me squeege off is the best all round apart from the tracks it can leave, but fairy I feel is the best for newbies. Oh and the Ettore blade I got sent after Windex seems good too "Yep I only just tried it".      
Sussex by the sea

Cleaner Windows

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2006, 09:32:17 am »
Ya smutty lot   ;D

Cheers

Andrew

yeah you could give me the suppliers number if thats o.k...p.s how much of this stuff do you put in a bucket ful of water?

KJG

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006, 12:45:28 pm »
Am I the only one that uses ammonia?

JohnL

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2006, 12:59:43 pm »
never been able find - or source a supply for cloudy ammonia

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

carl stanton

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2006, 01:08:07 pm »
Am I the only one that uses ammonia?
i though that it was not aloud to be used?   ???   but not checked it out!

i use pulex rubber, as ettore twice price but not last twice as long!
and i use ergotec handle n channle

KJG

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2006, 01:27:08 pm »
never been able find - or source a supply for cloudy ammonia

JohnL

What's 'cloudy' ammonia? Mine's clear.

holland1945

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2006, 05:44:50 pm »
What's Evans High Class? I've tried some of the other detergents and to be honest I don't think they're as good as they purport. GG4 certainly isn't slippy enough in the dosage they recommend.

I did a search and the results that came up were for a Hardfloor/Marble detergent, is this the right stuff or am I confused!!!!

JohnL

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2006, 05:57:14 pm »
  .  .  and I thought it was the straight Ammonia that was not allowed  :)

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

carl stanton

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2006, 06:23:06 pm »
  .  .  and I thought it was the straight Ammonia that was not allowed  :)

JohnL
maybe john l like i said not checked it out propperlly though  ::)
what are the benifits of it? is it just a bit old school?

JohnL

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2006, 10:37:48 pm »
is it just a bit old school?

.  .  he  he  he

JohnL

pjulk

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2006, 11:53:18 pm »
I have tried a few differant detergents.

GG3 with pure water
GG4 with normal hard water
Fairy
Unger gel - Crap
Unger liquid - smells nice
Ettore squeegie off

Out of all those i prefer Ettore Squeegie Off.

If i was traditional only i would stick with fairy but as i use WFP i don't want to use fairy on a downstairs window incase i WFP it maybe a month or two later.
Because sometimes i WFP up and downstairs and sometime i do downstairs traditional and with squeegie off i don't get a problem.

GG3 and GG4 i find you need to put more than the recommended dose in to get a descent slip and see any foam what so ever.

Paul

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2006, 12:19:32 pm »
This is the Evans high class that we use.  Different supplier but same price/spec etc.

http://www.dependable.co.uk/2,Floor%20Care%20&%20Maintenance/Floor%20Care%20&%20Maintenance/7379,EVANS%20HIGH%20CLASS.html

Cheers

Andrew

cybersye

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2006, 11:44:46 pm »
i also cannot find cloudy ammonia, maybe its an ozzy thing, seem to remember reading a thread a while ago from someone in oz who swears by it
other than it obviously being cloudy how is it different?
 why can't you use ammonia? and who says so?
bought some regular ammonia today to experiment with my own mix with a bit of fairy and rinse aid ,
anyone else tried it? what quantities?
thanks  ;)
Simon

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2006, 06:32:53 pm »
Same her tried the lot the best by far b&q own window cleaning solution nearlly the same as gg3 gut cheaper and easier to get

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2006, 07:30:57 pm »
 How much of anything you put in depends on the hardness of the water, if your not sure ask the missus she will tell you if its soft or hard  :) :) (cant believe how that came out  :o)
If you want slide with anything, best is a tea-sthingy(t e a s p o o n)  of Sainsburys water softner powder. Try it.

bobby

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2006, 10:01:22 pm »
if you use ammonia does it damage or fade paintwork  ???