dazmond

alternator gone on my van now!
« on: December 18, 2014, 07:56:47 pm »
estate work today so not too much driving about.battery light has been coming on the last few days.anyhow moved van about 50 metres and it struggled to start.pulled up and tried to start it again and nothing.

phoned breakdown and they turned up 2 hours later.luckily i could crack on with work while waiting for them to turn up but it was hammering it down for the last half hour! ::)roll

he charged battery for 10 mins and said he d follow me home(only 5 miles away)in case i couldnt make it!sure enough 2 mins from home and lights went out and van stopped.so he charged battery again.now home and dry! :)

ill phone garage tomorrow and book it in for 5th jan if i can.

so early start to the xmas holidays for me!

im going out in the car tomorrow with 70L of pure and backpack,22 SLX and trad gear!ive got 19 jobs left to do this week on estate work so i should get them done tomorrow then 2 weeks off
price higher/work harder!

Don Kee

Re: alternator gone on my van now!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 08:00:34 pm »
Didnt you have a dodgy starter a month or so back and still keep using your van contrary to the advice alot of people gave?

Dave Willis

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 08:17:34 pm »
Can't you fit a new one? Surely it's only two spanners?

ray mck

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 08:28:41 pm »
Or you could get alex to do it😍😍😍😍😍

Dave Willis

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 08:42:04 pm »

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 08:43:52 pm »
Charge the van battery each night and use minimal electrical stuff during the day on the van (heater,lights etc)

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 08:54:55 pm »
Didnt you have a dodgy starter a month or so back and still keep using your van contrary to the advice alot of people gave?

new starter motor fitted 3 weeks ago mate. :).

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 09:01:34 pm »
Charge the van battery each night and use minimal electrical stuff during the day on the van (heater,lights etc)

im not gonna risk it mate.breakdown have already come out to me twice in a month.im only gonna lose 2 days work anyway(mon/tues next week).so early xmas break.

tomorrows work will be ok with a backpack for upper windows/trad ground floors but not the large country houses and commercial i had booked in for next week.

hey ho!looking forward to 2 weeks off TBH! ;D ;D

its been the best year ever for me in window cleaning so im a happy bunny really! :D :D

Mike #1

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 09:28:49 pm »
Why are you waiting till 5th Jan to book it in , my local garage will fit me in if it's urgent only needs a rush job once and had Truck back within a few hours .

Sean Dyer

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 09:31:13 pm »
estate work today so not too much driving about.battery light has been coming on the last few days.anyhow moved van about 50 metres and it struggled to start.pulled up and tried to start it again and nothing.

phoned breakdown and they turned up 2 hours later.luckily i could crack on with work while waiting for them to turn up but it was hammering it down for the last half hour! ::)roll

he charged battery for 10 mins and said he d follow me home(only 5 miles away)in case i couldnt make it!sure enough 2 mins from home and lights went out and van stopped.so he charged battery again.now home and dry! :)

im going out in the car tomorrow with 70L of pure and backpack,22 SLX and trad gear!ive got 19 jobs left to do this week on estate work so i should get them done tomorrow then 2 weeks off

Sorry to hear that mate, but only hammering down for half hr??

Ive had non stop rain since yesterday morning, your in mcr arent u , why does it only rain on me?

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 09:47:27 pm »
Why are you waiting till 5th Jan to book it in , my local garage will fit me in if it's urgent only needs a rush job once and had Truck back within a few hours .

ill give my garage a ring tomorrow.he might be able to fit me in mon/tues next week but i reckon itll be more like 5th jan but you never know.

im mentally prepared for 2 weeks off now so even if he fitted me in monday i wouldnt go in work tuesday! ;)

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 09:52:12 pm »

Sorry to hear that mate, but only hammering down for half hr??

Ive had non stop rain since yesterday morning, your in mcr arent u , why does it only rain on me?

haha sean!yeah its been raining on and off for days now but really heavy and windy this afternoon when i wanted to squeeze 2 more jobs in! ::)roll ;D

Ian101

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 10:14:28 pm »
douse the alternator in some flounce / vision / froff ... soon get yer going  :)

wfp master

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 10:28:06 pm »

only an hours wage for you. to get a new one & get bit fitted.

Spruce

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 07:58:01 am »

The early Connects had/have issues with the charging cable from the alternator to the battery. Its seems to occur mainly where the wire runs underneath the battery tray.
So just replacing the alternator may not be the only issue - this cable may also have to be replaced as well.

The insulation around the cable breaks down. Damp and wet can then cause charging problems as the wires are exposed. It may also just be this cable. Ford have a replacement cable for it.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 08:17:00 am »

The early Connects had/have issues with the charging cable from the alternator to the battery. Its seems to occur mainly where the wire runs underneath the battery tray.
So just replacing the alternator may not be the only issue - this cable may also have to be replaced as well.

The insulation around the cable breaks down. Damp and wet can then cause charging problems as the wires are exposed. It may also just be this cable. Ford have a replacement cable for it.

ive heard that about these vans too spruce.its the wiring loom isnt it that can corrode?its an 05 so 9 years old,nearly 10!

Matt.

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 08:57:04 am »
Just pick one up from scrap yard dazmond. Should only cost £30 to have fitted. It is only 2 nuts but Loads of messing about with the belt

Starter motor was prob ok an this was ya prob

deeege

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 12:33:11 pm »
It's threads like this which is the reason I'll only be using vans that are less than 3 years old, 0 van related downtime.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Scrimble

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 04:53:55 pm »
It's threads like this which is the reason I'll only be using vans that are less than 3 years old, 0 van related downtime.

+1

dd

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 04:59:47 pm »
Even new vans can have problems. I was thinking of replacing my 9 year old dispatch in the New Year, but from what I hear talking to a few people, the old vans are more reliable than the new. I therefore decided to stick with it, has not let me down so far (inviting trouble now).