AdamSouth

battery ??
« on: March 24, 2006, 06:32:27 pm »
i know this subject cames up quite a lot but i am still finding it hard to get my head around.

i am busy getting my bits to make my trolly and was woundering if this battery is anygood. is it big enough. i've got a varistream already if that makes any differance(thanks Andrew arrived today)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9701768857&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

any ideas and input would be helpfull

thanks ;)
Giving you a better view

Re: battery ??
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 06:50:08 pm »
hi i bought my battery from cleantech its a 85amp leisure battery about £50 should last a long time.

Allways Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 07:13:10 pm »
hi adam, battery is a wee bit small, 17ah would work but prob not last allday before charging required. mind you they do say its suitable among other things  a remote controll, must be the size of the coffee table lol. they do sell another batt which is not much more. but a slightly bigger amp hour would serve you better. have you tried your local stores, try battery suppliers who only do batteries they are normally quite good. ;D i use barden batteries.
regards
paul

Tim Morton

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 07:33:45 pm »
Hi, I got a 22Ah deep discharge gel battery from http://www.golftrolleybatteries.co.uk/default.asp?pgid=3&cat_id=15 and have not yet discharged it fully in a day's work. I too have a varistream and a shurflo 6L 100psi pump, the battery's fine for me.
One thing to watch for in buying a battery is to make sure that it's a deep discharge battery, many sealed lead acid batterys are designed for only occasional discharge and if discharged regularly will lose their capacity very fast.

Hope this helps, Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe!!
Craigavon, N.Ireland

matt

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 07:36:44 pm »
i use TWO of them batteries

i just change the 1 at lunch time

AdamSouth

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 09:22:04 am »
thanks for the help guys

paul

i forgot about bardens, i got a car battery from them last year. i'll have to go down there his week and have a chat. looked at their web site and they have quite a range. where abouts you live? i'm from fareham.

Tim

i though it looked abit small but i like how light it was.

matt

Do you use this exact ones. do you find they work ok if you change them at lunch. sounds like a good idea tokeep the weight down on the trolly.
Giving you a better view

matt

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 09:58:08 am »

matt

Do you use this exact ones. do you find they work ok if you change them at lunch. sounds like a good idea tokeep the weight down on the trolly.

not the exact 1's, same shape though (the thing with batteries is companies just rebadge them) mine are also 12 amp (thus smaller output) so with the extra 5 Amp you will be sorted

they will do you great, if your building a system from scratch, use the smaller flojet pump (it uses less power)

Allways Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 08:46:13 pm »
hi Adam live in soton sho-ling hehe bardens just round corner from u , thats handy. bought from them before very helpfull lots in stock. my friend has just bought one for his elise really small. has to turn over  1800cc petrol engine does that no probs. ;D

gaza

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 09:02:38 pm »
Its to small  only get about 3or4 hrs life out of it before regharginng is needed,
Iave 110amp leisure   battery and last 3/4 days  and a 65amp car  battery lasts 1or2 days before recharging
your pump is 7amps divide that into 17 amp rated battery that gives you the life you roughly get out of the battery at full power.

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Tim Morton

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 09:17:09 pm »
Its to small  only get about 3or4 hrs life out of it before regharginng is needed,
Iave 110amp leisure   battery and last 3/4 days  and a 65amp car  battery lasts 1or2 days before recharging
your pump is 7amps divide that into 17 amp rated battery that gives you the life you roughly get out of the battery at full power.

gaza
Gaza, he's got a varistream so the pump wont be working at full power, a Shurflo 60psi pump draws 3.1amps and will draw less when turned down on the varistream, so a good quality 22Ah deep discharge battery would last him all day. However, a normal 22Ah sealed lead acid battery would not have the guts to last all day as its not been designed to handle long and regular discharges. That's why the deep discharge batteries are more expensive.
Tim
Craigavon, N.Ireland

matt

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 09:17:56 pm »

thats constant use though, change it at lunch time and its all good

gaza

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006, 09:27:10 pm »
TIM MINE DRAWS 7AMP ITS PRINTED ON THE SIDE OF THE PUMP AND BEEN THERE 4 AND HALF YEARS SO MAYBE THEVE DOWN GRADED THE AMPS USED [GOT OUT OF THAT ONE] MINE IS A 60PSI  AS WELL

DID STATE ON FULL POWER
SO WHY DOES MANAFACTORS FIT 110 AMP 85 AMP LEISURE BATTERYS?

GAZA

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2006, 09:34:36 pm »
Anyone know how to change 1.7 bar Flojet) to psi ?

mark dew

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2006, 05:01:50 am »

Ian_Giles

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2006, 09:53:29 am »
Whatever battery (or batteries) you go for, make sure it is a leisure battery. (deep cycle)
The smaller batteries are of course going to be lighter and therefore more tempting if you are using a trolley system.
So to refuce weight you can always go for a couple of batteries and change them over halfway through the day.
The only danger with that though is that you might end out running one of the batteries down too far, and if you notice your water flow lessening then you probably have.
Leisure batteries do not like to be run down, it shortens their life considerably.

I try never to risk going 2 or 3 days between recharging, I stick on the charger every night.
It's tempting to buy the cheapest battery you can find, but ultimately you get what you pay for.
Your battery is the engine for your system, shop around for the best price for the particular model you go for, but don't get it out of the bargain bucket!

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2006, 10:50:55 am »
As you know I am a minimalist and  have used a backpack for 8 years. I have used the smallest Flojet- 4 amp 1 gallon/min 35 psi 2.4 bar £59 with one of the smallest 7 amp batteries.
Technically the battery (thanks for the link Mark)  works for a massive 1.75 hour. Doesnt sound a lot to you big water users, but in practice I have a simple on off switch that is easily accesible and using it, easily get up to 1 days use. I also use only use maybe 25-50 litres per day, max.
The latest new golf batteries are Lithium ion slimline1/3rd the weight and size.(see the P5 Powakaddy.

gaza

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2006, 02:24:15 pm »
why not ave a split realy fitted, charges the battery while you drive could easy justify a small battery

gaza

Tim Morton

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2006, 05:53:45 pm »
Hi gaza, just looked again at the specs and you're right, it draws 3.1 amp at 0psi, boy have i got egg on my face!!
But all i can state is what my experience is, I have a 22Ah deep discharge gel battery, it lasts me all day without failing and I have a 100psi 6L per min shurflo pump. But this battery has been specifically designed for regular deep discharge use. It cost more than other standard batteries but its been worth it.

Tim
Craigavon, N.Ireland

master cleaner

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2006, 06:37:33 pm »
ive got an omnitrolley fitted with a DENKA cycle 12v 33ah battery and have in the past used this battery for 15 hours without recharging but then it went flat but at least i now know how long it lasts , i do now charge it up at night unless i have only got half a day left then i dont

i think omnipole sell these batteries for about £45 hope this helps

gary

AdamSouth

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2006, 06:59:33 pm »
thanks guys think i scrap them batteries and go for something a bit bigger but i still like matts idea about two batteries. how heavy/big are the omnipole batteries?
Giving you a better view