johns window kleen

Re: Where do you put your savings?
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 10:44:49 pm »
Ive done very well out of premium bonds over a period of years. Infact I hit a grand in one year. Much better than high interest savings accounts, with 90 day Notice Clauses. Savings interest rates are a joke.
 Thinking of buying many many more in the next week week or so. Its pot luck what you get but the return does corolate to the value you hold.
ie, most Million pound winners hold the maximum holding you can have, which was £30K last time I looked.

johns window kleen

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 10:55:15 pm »
Yeah I bet thats about right, and they aint all gonna be £50.
If your gonna tie up £30k  you want some return, and the Govt sure cant afford for you not to.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 07:02:45 am »
I bank with a Halifax agency (not a proper branch) and have just opened up a regular saver account with them via the telephone.

But I found out this morning that I have to get forms signed by Tom, Dick, and Harry, and then the Halifax will bury them in a peat bog for three months before losing them.

The Halifax agency also won't accept my ID, they say I've got to go to Newport; to a 'proper' branch to get it verified; which I'm not prepared to do.

I know interest rates are rubbish at the moment, so I'm not really concerned about that; I just want somewhere CONVENIENT to put my spare cash, other than under the mattress where Wor Lass finds it easy to snaffle and spend it on tat in Homebase.

So how, where and why do you save?  I'm now considering a post office account.

Savings?  Oh, you mean those bits of plastic they keep sending through the post.

Londoner

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 07:35:38 am »
I have my own Financial Adviser who handles all my investments. This is true, not a joke, its because I used to work for Kodak. One of the things that happen when you get made redundant is you get this adviser.
I invested every penny of my redundancy and its done very well. Mind you its taking a hammering at the moment but thats the recession.

Other people ignored the advise and blew all their redundancy money on holidays and new cars. With some of them it was like a race to see who could spend it the quickest.

Rob.Hall

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 08:31:04 am »
Get an independent financial adviser Tosh.

A good one is worth there weight in gold.

They will explain everything you need to know. You dont have to take there advise but it will stand you in good stead in understanding investments etc.

Roy Harding

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 08:35:00 am »
Martin Lewis has a winnings calculator on his site.

Based on how many you buy

www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds-calculator/

Roy

ftp

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 10:00:14 am »

They will explain everything you need to know. You dont have to take there advise but it will stand you in good stead in understanding investments etc.

I've never met an independant adviser yet  :o they all seem to be linked to one or two finace sources only - the ones that pay them the most commission.

East coast window cleaning Services

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2009, 12:54:04 pm »
under you matress  ;D
P&R Window Cleaning

matt

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2009, 12:57:54 pm »

Other people ignored the advise and blew all their redundancy money on holidays and new cars.

at least they didnt waste it  ;D ;D

Tosh

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 04:32:48 pm »

I've never met an independant adviser yet  :o they all seem to be linked to one or two finace sources only - the ones that pay them the most commission.

I agree, an IFA with a range of products at his disposal, any of which may suit you will sell you the one that makes him the most commission.

I've had many dealings with IFAs over the years; and have had visits where they go through all your different insurances and savings and make reccommendations.

I understand how they work, and have been ripped off by them in the past (I was mis-sold two endownment policies).

I even considered becoming an IFA (aka insurance salesman); I used to be responsible for the pay and allowances and public funds of a large Infantry Batallion; so I always had IFAs sucking up to me, since I could put business their way (soldiers would come to see me asking for financial advice, but legally I couldn't provide it so I used to reccommend IFAs (the ones that gave me bottles of whisky at Christmas mostly).

But all I want is something SIMPLE and EASY to put my spare cash into (and after this month, there's not a lot of the spare stuff around).

I've called into the post office; and since I've a branch about 200 meters from where I live, that's going to get my meagre savings!

elite mike

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2009, 04:38:43 pm »
tosh

we could start a bank of our own  ;D

and perhaps mr darling would give us billions to help us :o

s.w.c

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2009, 06:42:21 pm »
buy a triumph TR6 if you can find any good ones expect to pay 12k keep it at least 3years it wont go down in value it will only go up.
premium bonds are in blocks of a hundred now have been for a little while. ive got them in my name and the kids,
as regards mobile home if your lucky to be able to get a run down one cheap say 10k to 20k, scrap old van buy a new basic one for 28k brick the bottom re- design it a little spend no more than 50k in total, most of these site are turning into old retirement places and sell from 80k to 110k good chance of double in your money.