Tosh

I lost my best account today... gutted!
« on: November 28, 2008, 03:52:37 pm »
I did a small hotel in the Wye Valley, for the past six years, just opposite the Tintern Abbey, beautiful location and priced VERY well.  It was priced so well that I couldn't just clean and then collect (they always paid straight after the job in cash), I'd clean the front and then disappear to clean some local domestic work, then return to finish off in the afternoon.

To be honest, it was £120 per clean and I could do it by myself in one-and-a-half hours (outside only) every other month; and then the following month, still for £120, two of us could do it in two-hours, inside and out.  Add to that some other well-priced work in this affluent location, the daily total was a 'hit'.

It wasn't a rip-off, not exactly, I priced it before I went WFP and because it was mostly old, real leaded windows, the WFP quartered the time and effort involved.  I actually did think about reducing the price, but didn't!  ;)  The previous window cleaner to me gave me this account because it was such tough work (trad).

Anyway, the place has went bankcrupt, all the ground floor windows are boarded up; we only found out when we turned up to clean it today (though we knew it was in the offing).

Gutted!

Alex Gardiner

Re: I lost my best account today... gutted!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 04:04:21 pm »
Probably your prices that put them under!!!

Only joking, your prices seem to be about right for a slightly tricky job. I would have charged at least that for that job.

Tosh

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 04:14:13 pm »
Alex,

One of the managers (it's been getting looked after by a hotel management company appointed by the courts (I haven't told the full story)) was an ex Royal Navy guy, we got on well (even though I accused him of liking 'Rum, Bum, and Baccy a bit too much), but he didn't mince his words.  He even implied my prices were a rip-off; even though I stretched the job out by doing other jobs in the local area.

I think it would've been easier to finish the job in one go if I then just disapeared and then invoiced a head-office somewhere, but they always paid in cash; which made me feel awkward.

Maybe I'm a bit soft, but I couldn't imagine starting cleaning this property at 9.00 am and then finishing at 10.30 am and walking in and collecting £120.

Would you have? 

AJ

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 04:20:09 pm »
bright side. If you had it on account, they would probably have arrears by now, and now they've gone bust you would have ended up getting knocked.

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 04:22:22 pm »
I have a job thats worth those figures tosh but it takes a fraction over an hour. Im glad its a case of invoicing an office elsewhere as Im embarrased to be doing work at these rates. I know the previous window cleaner used to shoot off for brekkie halfway through and come back to reappear infront of the staff afterwards to finish the job, I usually sneak off and do my banking halfway through to reappear later.

When I do leave on finishing its always hastily, hoping Ive not been spotted

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 04:26:56 pm »
Alex,

One of the managers (it's been getting looked after by a hotel management company appointed by the courts (I haven't told the full story)) was an ex Royal Navy guy, we got on well (even though I accused him of liking 'Rum, Bum, and Baccy a bit too much), but he didn't mince his words.  He even implied my prices were a rip-off; even though I stretched the job out by doing other jobs in the local area.

I think it would've been easier to finish the job in one go if I then just disapeared and then invoiced a head-office somewhere, but they always paid in cash; which made me feel awkward.

Maybe I'm a bit soft, but I couldn't imagine starting cleaning this property at 9.00 am and then finishing at 10.30 am and walking in and collecting £120.

Would you have? 

Yes, because on the alternate clean you spent 4 man hours for the same money.  Total man hours on the job = 5.5 for £240.  Total per hour price =£43.63.

For an old-fashioned leaded window property with the risks of damage involved, that would seem about right to me.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 04:51:04 pm »
How much do painters charge- no one knows cause they use the same tricks and dissapearing often for days. Its all about value for money and best price, if you gave it (vfm)Tosh well done. Start looking for another but it wont be as easy, happy days have gone- its back to reality.

Klean07

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 04:58:58 pm »
That's very true I'm losing about 3 a week. But also still leaflet dropping and door knocking and picking up new ones.Had 4 good custies die this month too. Which comes as part of the territory I'm affraid to say.
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

Roy Harding

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 05:14:26 pm »
Hi Tosh

As you know I spotted it and rang you. I know how you feel, years ago I had this one account that was done every 2wks. They paid cash and it was probably one of my best accounts. I did the job for 5-6yrs, then the owner had a fling with a waitress, hence a divorce and I lost the job. Like you I was gutted.

Then 2wks later I won a large contract at similar money, and have been doing this for the last 18yrs or more.

There is always another great payer around the corner. I know of one but will find out if they have someone, if they don’t I will pass it on to you. And its not far from you.

Roy 

Kevin R

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 05:18:12 pm »
I lost a £35 a month, small commercial office today. Felt really bad for the 6 architects and one secretary in there that have just been laid off for Christmas.

At least I still have a job!!!

CLEANGLASSUK

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 05:18:59 pm »
Alex,

Would you have? 

At the end of the day you are offering a professional service and that doesnt come cheap,i wouldnt worry about the time it takes, at the end of the day if they are getting a first class service for the time it takes you.
I have many jobs like this and as long as they are happy with the clean your more than likely to always keep the job.
Dont feel bad about taking there money coz they wouldnt feel bad if it was you.
Ps you might find that someone else will take on the hotel and you will probably get it back again.

Richy L

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 05:27:36 pm »
if its the place im thinking of tosh i had my wedding there.

They were talking of bankrupcy then. that was 3.5 years ago.

unlucky though mate, :-\

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 05:33:11 pm »
On the bright side Tosh, I picked up 2 new shops and 3 new houses this week. ;D

I'm told that one of my pubs is closing next year though.
It held me up anyway. ;D

Sorry it was 4 houses actually.

ronnie paton

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 06:20:30 pm »
Tosh and you call my prices he he

Im sure you will gain some more it always seems to work that way.

seriously i cant remeber a time when i lost work and didnt gain at least a simalar amount back in a coupe of weeks.

i lost a £450 a month job once got it back in several different jobs in about a month.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 07:41:39 pm »
Tosh, sorry to hear about your loss of a good job.  :'( Why don't you do that big old place opposite - the one owned by Welsh Heritage with the permanent scaffolding around it - you won't get streaks on those windows. ;D
It's a game of three halves!

danny taylor

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 07:55:26 pm »
If its any consolation I recently lost a contract worth £1500 per month and they owed me 2 months before going to the wall. Not funny!

Trotsky

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 08:02:57 pm »
 :'( I feel like a very small fish in a big pond!  :'(

tacky

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 09:48:54 pm »
thats two of us .trotsky

brett walker

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 09:54:53 pm »
i lost one of comercial jobs nice little earner £60 for 50 minutes work

theyve closed down after 40 years doing swimwear everythings going abroard

this is why i prefere to stay with domestic jobs but even a lot of them are feeling the pinch

Brett

steve a

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2008, 08:56:31 am »
Sorry to hear that Tosh, been losing a few myself just lately MFI to name but one.
But there is still work out there, I have just picked up a nice earner of a monthly job without even trying.
You win some and you lose some. Stick at it.

Steve a