Tosh

Telephone Canvassing; Any Tips?
« on: October 28, 2008, 03:36:35 pm »
I've been phoning local commercial properties asking if they would like a quote for their window cleaning and have had some limited success. 

Out of about 25 - 30 calls I've got 3 properties to quote for, a commercial unit (should be at least £100 worth of work if we get it), a small pub (desperate for a window cleaner), and a small office building; though I suspect these have a window cleaner already; their windows looked clean to me.

Anyway, these are the sort of responses I get:

Quite often someone will say stuff like, "Give me your details, and I'll get the boss to phone you back"; but I've not had one returned call, which doesn't surprise me (it's a polite way of saying 'go away').

Other times they'll say "we don't need a quote, we already have a window cleaner", and I always thank them for their time and hang-up.

One did say we have a window cleaner, but if you're cheaper... (I didn't phone them back as requested).

One asked me to e-mail the boss, which I did, and I've been asked to quote (it was the small office; but about £40 per clean; maybe more).  I'm fairly good with written English when I want to be.

Anyway, do any of you lot do this telephone canvassing thing?  I prefer it to knocking on doors, 'cos I can sit in a warm office (pretentious name for the spare bedroom) and drink tea while I get knocked back.

But have any of you lot any tips for phoning businesses out of the blue and asking them if they want their window cleaned?

ronnie paton

Re: Telephone Canvassing; Any Tips?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 04:01:52 pm »
tosh were did you get the database from or did you just had pick some from yellow pages?

Steve CM

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 04:22:22 pm »
that ain't a bad response tosh. when i paid a lady to do it a few years ago i was getting about 15 - 20 visits a week she was making about 40 calls a day.

AJ

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 04:22:51 pm »
3 quotes from 30 calls!
Doesn't sound like you're doing too much wrong.
Well done.

AJ

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 04:26:02 pm »
When they say 'give me your details', take theirs too including boss's name and follow up with a letter.

Tosh

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 04:28:41 pm »
tosh were did you get the database from or did you just had pick some from yellow pages?

I know the local area fairly well; and just mentally earmarked some properties.

I also phoned round all the business units on an industrial estate where I already have two accounts; and have another one to quote from there.

Just google for stuff in your local area and phone them?

Obviously I didn't phone stuff I know that local window cleaners to me clean.

----------------------------------

And to the guys who're saying I've 'done well'; not really, two-out-of-the-three I saw had dirty windows and was too frightened to approach them in person; I find it easier doing it over the phone.

Jimmy1

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 04:30:21 pm »
When tel canvessing you must get past "the Gatekeeper" the person who will try to stop you talking to the decision maker. You must speak to the decision maker as only he/she knows if they would be interested. Anyone else will fob you off. Always ask open ended questions that require an answer e.g Hi,  could you tell me who would be ther person responisble at your company/organisation for hiring the window cleaner? Always get the name of the person (if possible, some gatekeepers of larger companies will only give the title of the person responisble, although this is unusual) Once you have a name ask when will be the best time to contact them, then make a note and re-phone. At all costs its in your best interests to build up some kind of rappor with the gatekeeper - they will be more helpful and give you more information over a period of time (if it takes you that long) When you do get to speak to the person who makes the decisions always make statements that he needs to answer rather than give a yes or no to.

Steve CM

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 04:41:08 pm »
When tel canvessing you must get past "the Gatekeeper" the person who will try to stop you talking to the decision maker. You must speak to the decision maker as only he/she knows if they would be interested. Anyone else will fob you off. Always ask open ended questions that require an answer e.g Hi,  could you tell me who would be ther person responisble at your company/organisation for hiring the window cleaner? Always get the name of the person (if possible, some gatekeepers of larger companies will only give the title of the person responisble, although this is unusual) Once you have a name ask when will be the best time to contact them, then make a note and re-phone. At all costs its in your best interests to build up some kind of rappor with the gatekeeper - they will be more helpful and give you more information over a period of time (if it takes you that long) When you do get to speak to the person who makes the decisions always make statements that he needs to answer rather than give a yes or no to.

keep talking Jimmy don't just stop there! ;) :)

Tosh

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 05:33:20 pm »
When they say 'give me your details', take theirs too including boss's name and follow up with a letter.

That's a top tip; I've got one place I've got my slanty-eye-on that this may work for.  They definately need a window cleaner; but I've not heard back from them; but I've got the boss's name.

It's worth a try, and when I don't know what to do with myself on a rainy day, it'll give me something to do.

Cheers.

Frank pole

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 05:33:43 pm »
Be careful if you have not paid for your data (cleaned) as a lot of company`s are signed up with the tps - and if you call one expect a court summon`s - A pal of mine ( carpet cleaner ) got fined 700.00 - He was using yellow page`s as his data source - the tps screen against unsolicited unwanted calls - tread carefully!

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 05:36:50 pm »
Be careful if you have not paid for your data (cleaned) as a lot of company`s are signed up with the tps - and if you call one expect a court summon`s - A pal of mine ( carpet cleaner ) got fined 700.00 - He was using yellow page`s as his data source - the tps screen against unsolicited unwanted calls - tread carefully!

More than a good enough reason to go in person!

Bobs Window Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 05:48:19 pm »
This is soo easy Tosh

You need the charm of........Squeeky :P

What would you do if you heard the gruff of a northener on the end of the phone ;D

Bob
Why oh Why did he spell my name as bod & not bob on my wedding invites.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 05:51:22 pm »

So how does that work?  It's an offence to find a number in yellow pages and then phone it????   Surely the very fact that the numbers in YP says that the advertiser is inviting calls???

Frank pole

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 05:59:25 pm »
I know what you mean but it didn`t help my mate out in court! - 700.00 later! - Google TPS and that will  inform you much better than I can!

ttp://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/

niceandclean

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 06:00:35 pm »

So how does that work?  It's an offence to find a number in yellow pages and then phone it????   Surely the very fact that the numbers in YP says that the advertiser is inviting calls???

Its not an offence if you are calling to use that persons service or buying there product, but if they are signed up to TPS then they do not want marketing calls. There was a company in our local paper that was fined about £3000 because they just called companies out of the book, and it so happens that 3 reported them.

Tosh

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 06:06:30 pm »

I'm signed up for TPS (Telephone Preference Service) and yet I still receive unsolicited calls asking me if I want to buy mobile phones and stuff.

But I think you're over-reacting here; I very much doubt any business would want to take it further; even if they were signed up with the TPS.

In fact I think that risk is almost nil.  It's obvious when I phone that I'm not phoning from an Indian call centre in Calcutta; nor am I bothering 'Mrs Jones, whose just got her two small children asleep in bed'.

In fact I bet you £500 that I'll keep on phoning local businesses and I'll never get fined for breaching TPS rules.

Show me a link to a newspaper article where a sole trader has been prosecuted for this?  I bet you can't find one; I can't.

Tosh

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 06:17:32 pm »
This is soo easy Tosh

You need the charm of........Squeeky :P

What would you do if you heard the gruff of a northener on the end of the phone ;D

Bob

Bob,

I've got a Geordie accent (living in Anglified South East Wales), and our accent is considered to be one of the most friendly accent in the UK.  I'm sure some big company - in the last few years - set up a call centre in Geordie-land; purely on the basis that our accents sound more approachable and friendly than others.

I believe that to be true!

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 06:22:29 pm »
'ay

Tosh

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 06:25:43 pm »

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 06:31:40 pm »
Thanks for the info about TPS registration, im always bombarded with marketing calls, pee's me right off. I will actually signed up and will put complaints through in future.