Tosh

INTRODUCTION

I know a few local window cleaners who use expensive modular poles for their routine two-story jobs.  These poles are expensive, and while (probably) great on stuff higher than 3 stories, they don’t always seem to last that long when in regular use; so I made my own lightweight modular pole - very cheaply - for use on two-story work, and think it’s great.

All credit goes to Jeff B and Matt, whom I’ve copied from.

THE CHALLENGE

In response to this post

www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=63854.0

I was ‘wound up’ by yet another post suggesting some  ‘pole snobbery‘, so I’ve challenged Gazza to make a new DIY WFP ‘fishing pole’ like my own.  This is what the popular modular 'shop bought' poles are based on; modified fishing gear.

Mine is only a small one, somewhere between 15 and 19 foot high; I haven‘t measured it; but it‘s good enough for most two-story work; all all ground floor work, and if Gazza doesn’t like it, I’ll refund him every penny he will spend on it; probably between £30 to £40; how cheap is that!  It's much better than spending £400 quid on a 'bread and butter' pole.

The rules are, before I refund him he has to meet the following criteria:

1.   Make the WFP according the instructions I give (very simple).
2.   Use it for one month.
3.   He has to be honest.  He has to note the good and bad points.
4.   I won't fork out for sheer clumsyness; as modular pole suppliers won't either.  Remember Squeaks has had his expensive shop-bought modular pole stepped-on and broken TWICE, and that was just tough.

And if Gazza is seriously unhappy with it; I’ll refund him for everything, except the cost of a new brush (which he could use on any other pole of his choice).

But I'm confident he'll like it.

To Gazza,

Acknowledge the challenge and I’ll post the stuff you’ve got to get with links to where you get it from.

geefree

Its a great idea, and good for us who dont want to keep replacing poles with expensive ones,

how can i refuse this challenge?

can i please make a point before you start,, well two

1/ sometimes you reach a window over a conservatory, and need just a little extra length..... so you simply release the clamp and push a bit more out....

so will this slow me down with a fishing pole.. having to drop it to the ground to attach another piece?

2/. is it quick and simple to dismantle at the van, for speed of getting to next customer.?

Ok Tosh, them were the only downsides i could think of.... and i am sure they can be overcome once i get used to it.

so lets go, i accept the challenge. ;) :)

Tosh

1/ sometimes you reach a window over a conservatory, and need just a little extra length..... so you simply release the clamp and push a bit more out....

so will this slow me down with a fishing pole.. having to drop it to the ground to attach another piece?

2/. is it quick and simple to dismantle at the van, for speed of getting to next customer.?

Gaz, in answer to question 1/:  FFS, how big is the conservatory? I don't know.  Maybe you'll need a longer peice.  But it's nothing to just put a longer section on the end.

After the first time round 'your round', you'll know what jobs you need more-or-less pole sections for.

For question 2/ no problems, really quick; it just pulls apart and pushes together.

But remember, the pole we're going to make is between 15 to 19 foot long, though I believe it's easy to make it another 6 or 12 foot longer (but I haven't tried this yet; for £20 to £40 respectively).

For question 3/ (which you didn't ask), it's a modular pole, telescopic carbon poles are better, but you'll need to spend about £400 to £500 quid on them, and they may not last long either.

I'm going to show how to make a lightweight modular pole; good quality too; for under £40 quid.

Give me a bit of time to put something together; maybe tomorrow; okay!

Jeff Brimble

Your money is safe Tosh  8) Here is a cheaper supplier of the Zensorflex  thanks to Mattstanley www.mullarkeys.co.uk/fishing/poles-and-accessories/carp-and-match-fishing-poles/0/ron-thompson/7389/

geefree

Ok thank you.  ;)

MJH

Cheap glass fibre xtels are fine for domestics, i would never use my carbons on residential work, total waste of time and money!!

gmcs

Let me know who wins I would love to spend £40.00 on a pole

Tosh

Gazza,

Ignore any other comments; try it for yourself.  An intelligent bloke gathers information from as many different sources as possible, then makes his own mind up; and for under £40 what have you got to lose; especially if I'm going to refund you if you're not happy?

So, what you’ve got to buy is the following:

1.   The fishing pole (compliments of Jeff):  (£14.99) www.mullarkeys.co.uk/fishing/poles-and-accessories/carp-and-match-fishing-poles/0/ron-thompson/7389/

2.   The thing that fit’s the angle to the fishing pole: (£6.95) www.emporiumpoles.co.uk/?plasticextendertube_

3.   The angle: (£2.50) www.emporiumpoles.co.uk/?angleadaptor

4.   The Brush (non refundable): (£12.95) www.emporiumpoles.co.uk/?bently_jetted_brush

5.   A small roll of gaffer tape. (£2.00 ish)

I work the whole thing out as £39.39, but you’ve got to add VAT and P & P onto that; so you’re looking at about £50 (but remember, I said POLE at under £40; brush isn’t included; but you do need a lightweight brush).

So we’re still on budget.

Once you’ve ordered and received the stuff, get back to me and I’ll have some step-by-step photos to show you what to do; though that makes it sound more complicated than it actually is.

It’s very simple; half-an-hour’s work - at most - even a Geordie can do it.

geefree

Thanks Tosh,

evertyhing ordered but the gaffa tape.... which i have somewhere but will buy some tomorrow, save me searching the garage.

i didnt check the delivery times, but shoulnt be too long.

thought i would let you know they have been ordered, to show you i am serious.

cheers.

Tosh

Your money is safe Tosh  8) Here is a cheaper supplier of the Zensorflex  thanks to Mattstanley www.mullarkeys.co.uk/fishing/poles-and-accessories/carp-and-match-fishing-poles/0/ron-thompson/7389/

Cheers, Jeff,

I've just ordered another two of those poles.

From what Matt said, you can increase the size of the Zensorflex by 6 foot per pole, so by ordering two, I'm hoping I can get another 12 foot in height.

But even if I can't, I've got loads and loads of spares, and even if I can, I've still got loads and loads of spares.

All for less than £40!

Bargin.

steven ainger

how rigid is the pole at about 18ft, in comparison to something like an x-tel?

Tosh

Thanks Tosh,

evertyhing ordered but the gaffa tape.... which i have somewhere but will buy some tomorrow, save me searching the garage.

i didnt check the delivery times, but shoulnt be too long.

thought i would let you know they have been ordered, to show you i am serious.

cheers.

Good on you; you won't be disapointed.  Normally when you buy cheap, you get cheap; but this will be one of the rare occasions this saying is wrong.

Honest; my pole is great; it's gross weight including brush is under 1.3Kg.  And it's really stiff and is about 16 to 19 foot long.  Why not weigh you're own pole including brush head and see what the difference is?

But as I say, if you don't like it, I promise to refund you; I'm that certain you'll like it.

Once you receive it all, give me a shout and I'll post pics that I'll have made up ready to show you the rest of the way; but it's really simple.

It'll include chucking the top three sections away and hacksawing the fourth section to a point where sleeve thing slides over it; the 'sleeve thing' has a 'screw thing' which the angle joint screws onto it; and the brush screws onto that.

That's basically your pole made.  You just have to add some gaffer tape at a couple of strategic points, and you're finished.

Tosh

how rigid is the pole at about 18ft, in comparison to something like an x-tel?

I don't know, I've only ever used an Ionics 18 foot fibre glass pole (which lasted about 6 months) and an Unger aluminium pole.

But over 18 ft, it's ridgid enough to do what-ever you want to do with it; even working with it parallel to the ground.

To be honest, I've only been using mine for over a week, but I've given it a right 'beasting'; I've banged it, dropped it, and slapped windows shut with it; and it's fine.

Matt's been using his for about a year and it's still fine.

Only time will tell, but I'm 99% sure it's a great pole - at the price - for routine two-story work.

[GQC] Tim

Is there no way to make a telescopic from a fishing pole? Get some saddle clamps, make a key hole slot in the pole somehow? That would be even better.

Tosh

Is there no way to make a telescopic from a fishing pole? Get some saddle clamps, make a key hole slot in the pole somehow? That would be even better.

Jeff B was asked this, and he said no; and I agree.

Fishing pole sections are tapered, whereas telescopic poles are linear; to start with.

Fish pole sections are also very thin; I think if there was a way; suppliers would be doing it now.

[GQC] Tim

Oh yea of course, they are tapered, totally forgot about that, that's a shame.

Jeff Brimble

Briefly, yes there is using glassfibre, you need skyblue flag pole and read the "world pole" topic on the diy forum....but its for diy experts.

Spruce

Hi
Also ordered the parts required to build a new pole.
Not part of the challenge, but please don't forget to put the step by step instructions up.
Thanks
Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

elite mike

Hi
Not part of the challenge, but please don't forget to put the step by step instructions up.
Thanks
Spruce

ime looking forward to this as well ;D

what a great post :D

ftp

Crikey it's taken eighteen months for you lot to catch on - why the sudden interest?
Jeff posted yonks ago how to make these poles. I had a Reload for a year and got ribbed for having one on this very forum. Back then you had to spend over £1000 on a carbon facelift to be a proper windowcleaner.  :o
There's practically nothing that can't be diyed in one way or another.

Tosh

Hi
Thanks
Spruce

Spruce,

I'm not sure I'm happy about that!  I need my pole longer, and I believe you can do that by getting extra Zensorflex fishing rods and using the bottom two sections from the new poles to give added height to your 'working Zensorflex pole'.  They just slot in the bottom section of your working pole.

So using Jeff's link I ordered another two poles (at under £40) to hopefully give me another 12 foot of height.

But I've received this e-mail from the suppliers today:

Thank you for your order.

Due to the volume of orders and time of year we are experiencing a slight delay.

Your order will be with you within the next 7 working days.

Many Thanks

Mail Order Team @ Mullarkeys

So it looks like my delivery is delayed! 

I wonder why?   >:(

Tosh

But, yes, I'll post up the pics as soon as Gazza gets his gear; which hopefully will be the same time as I get my new poles.

Spruce

Hi
Thanks
Spruce

Spruce,

I'm not sure I'm happy about that!  I need my pole longer, and I believe you can do that by getting extra Zensorflex fishing rods and using the bottom two sections from the new poles to give added height to your 'working Zensorflex pole'.  They just slot in the bottom section of your working pole.

So using Jeff's link I ordered another two poles (at under £40) to hopefully give me another 12 foot of height.

But I've received this e-mail from the suppliers today:

Thank you for your order.

Due to the volume of orders and time of year we are experiencing a slight delay.

Your order will be with you within the next 7 working days.

Many Thanks

Mail Order Team @ Mullarkeys

So it looks like my delivery is delayed! 

I wonder why?   >:(

Yeh,
Got the same reply as well - bet they are confused as to what's caused the sudden increase in the popularity of fishing.
Spruce

wightsurf

Tosh
I don't think these are very good bently_jetted_brush.
After useing one for half a day i decided that i would change to my diy Salmon,of which you can rinse on the glass.
You may find them ok but they where not for me ,as alot on here told me so before i even used it.But i had to find out for my self  ::)

Tosh

I like the weight of the Bently and still rinse on the glass if I have to without any problems I've noticed.

I also like the thin 'knife edge' stock which makes scraping bird poo off glass easier than my old Ionics brush.

wightsurf

Have you tried a Salmon ?

Tosh

Have you tried a Salmon ?

That's Peter F's brush I think, the white long one with the blue bristles?

I've not really used one, but Ian_Giles used to use one; and yes I've not heard anything bad about them, but honest, the Bently is fine.  I've done my own windows with it, and a few inside/outside jobs, so I know it works.

I don't think it's that hard-wearing, but as long as I get six-months out of it, I'll be happy.

wightsurf

As long as it works for you is the main thing.But for about £6. now the salmon is a good brush( me thinks)  ;D

dai

Hi
Thanks
Spruce

Spruce,

Tosh, you said you had an Unger aluminium pole, if it's the 32ft teleplus you can use the bottom 2 sections to make your pole longer. all you need is an adapter that can easily be made.
I used the tapered section of an old oar.
The tapered section fits into the zensoflex and the other end was turned down to fit the Unger number 4 section, your pole is now longer by two Unger sections.
As in this picture.

dai

sorry about the quality, here's a better pic

Tosh

Dai,

Cheers, but Jeff B suggested something similar which I tried today, but didn't like. 

I've had to put some work on 'hold', until my 'fishing poles' arrive, which hopefully will give me the extra reach I need.  I could use my Ungers, but why should I when I could have a far easier time with my fishing poles?

It's a brilliant bit of kit though; I can't say I enjoy working, though I don't mind it, but using this DIY pole makes work almost a pleasure; if that's possible.

I'm cross with myself that I didn't do it a year-or-so-ago when I first heard about the DIY 'fishing poles', but it sounded so naff, I didn't really bother.

But DIY fishing poles do compare with commercial 'fishing poles' that cost a small fortune.

geefree

I was just wondering, is there anything that could clamp around the pole... with a pertruding , which we could snap the pole hose into... and if we have to take a section off for downstairs windows.... just unclip the hose?

the only thing i dont fancy is pole hose hanging down in front of a lounge window,... just think it would look a little , well ... not so professional, for want of a better word.

Tosh

the only thing i dont fancy is pole hose hanging down in front of a lounge window,... just think it would look a little , well ... not so professional, for want of a better word.

Gazza,

How does external pole hose look less unprofessional than external?  How does any normal customer know the difference?

Sigh!

ftp

When the pole is vertical you just spin it a few turns and the hose will coil around the pole if you want it too. The biggest drawback with these poles is that they tend to be fragile, they work great as long as you don't step on them or shut the van door on them. Not a good idea to lever them over a flat roof either. If your lucky/careful then they are brilliant.

Tosh

The biggest drawback with these poles is that they tend to be fragile, they work great as long as you don't step on them or shut the van door on them. Not a good idea to lever them over a flat roof either. If your lucky/careful then they are brilliant.

Which type of poles are you talking about?  The DIY modular or the commercial variety?

ftp

DIY and the earlier Superlights. I used the Gangsta/Realoads and they are pretty fragile the S1 was bad too S2 - much better. I bought a Zensorflex for eighteen quid new but it was shorter than i wanted and the sections were short too. Stuck it back on ebay and got £32.00 for it.  :D
I swore by them for well over a year but couldn't stop treading on them so bought the SLX instead and wouldn't go back to modular now for every day work. I use an S2 for the higher stuff.
Started with an extender - five weeks later and that went in the bin. Had an xcel fibreglass pole and used it for a week - dreadful. Had a go with a tucker 60 foot and couldn't even pick it up once it got near 40'
Some of the earlier poles were terrible Zensorflex looks good for the money.

pjulk

How much could a 60ft pole be made for out of fishing pole's and what pole's would i need to buy to make this possible

Jeff Brimble

4rth section of a Zensorflex as your top piece and the 16.5 metre  F16 from cheshire fishing for £250 will get you to 42 ft actual pole length,so then you would need another 3/4 5ft5" extension sections to go to approx 60ft

pjulk

Thanks very much jeff.

Those 3/4 5ft 5 extensions piece's can they be bought seperate or would it be buy 3/4 cheaper poles.

Jeff Brimble

You need the extension sections @ say £55 approx , measure the height of your job with a ball of string or tape measure.
Its the minimum you could pay, some may go Emporium( I have one) or Sl2 but with care I am still using and enjoying my original F16.

Wayne Thomas

I've been using an Emporium 18ft pole (6 x 3ft sections), carbon/glass composite. 3ft section so much better than a 5ft section for ground floor work. Very impressed with it.
Fitted a Gardiner super lite brush so can raise from ground to 21 ft without cracking pole. So light, could feel the difference when I went back to SL2 again. Very good pole for domestic work.
I can understand why people like fishing poles even at low height compared to telescopic poles now. It's addictive once you get the hang of them, so easy to clean. Going to get myself 2 zensorflex poles now and make a 21ft pole to play with. 

wightsurf

I have a Emporium 45ft. Only just got it ,i think it's good but time will tell.
Back to the subject ;D
How do you get on with gates and things with these types of poles. When i used one on a large job for the first time and i had to make the pole smaller i was scared where to put the section i had just taken off.
I know you can use a trolley but they are no good over gates ect.

geefree

well , i have noy recieved a single item yet... from either of the companies you stated tosh ??? ???

Tosh

well , i have noy recieved a single item yet... from either of the companies you stated tosh ??? ???

Yes, it's all my fault!  I've delayed al the deliveries from the two different suppliers just to wind you up!

Of course I haven't.

However, I've had an e-mail from the fishing pole supplier saying they've been despatched today and will arrive tomorrow.

Be patient!

geefree

i was simply just letting you know.  :)

Tosh

Gazza, as soon as you get all the stuff; give me a shout.  I stick my head into this forum every day; so no problems there.

I know my fishing poles are arriving tomorrow, so I guess yours will too; make sure someone's at home or leave delivery instructions on your door for a neighbor to sign for them.

I've only one job I want to do tomorrow; not a big one either - it's more of a favour to a customer whose getting some sort of inspection on her B & B - basically I've a day off work to do some DIY (wood store building), but when my poles arrive, I'll down tools and take the photos required for the instructions.

It's very simple though, so don't worry; I reckon you can do it in fifteen minutes; tops.

Spruce

Hi Guys
Thanks as my poles are also expected here tomorrow
Spruce

Tosh

Spruce, have you got the other stuff from Emporium?

geefree

Okay, Thanks Tosh,

I hope the pole does arrive... i too, am still waiting for the other bits , fro the other company... as i said earlier... so i hope they ar'nt too long...

karygate

i built mine with a 16m shimano but found that when using the second section to attach brush too it was too thin. now i use it from the 4th section down and its great. if i need any more length the extra sections can be bought . i attached my brush by screwing it to a glass landing net pole,then feeding this into the top section with some foam inbetween. slightly heavier but it feels stronger.
gary

Tosh

Gazza, have you got your delivery yet?

Well here goes, my version of a DIY WFP (thanks to Matt and Jeff B).

First of all you need the following:

Pic 1:  WFP brush, a goosneck, an adaptor to that fits to your fishing pole (available from Emporium Poles for about £5), some gaffer tape, a hacksaw and a pair of scissors.

Pic 2:  A Zensorflex pole, about £20 with delivery.

Spruce

Spruce, have you got the other stuff from Emporium?

Hi Tosh
Yes thanks, got everything. I didn't order the brush as I already have a Bentley jetted up and waiting to go.
Poles also arrived today but addressed incorrectly - right address, right telephone no. wrong name.
Spruce

Tosh

Next, you have to discard the TOP THREE THIN SECTIONS (I think some have used the third section, but my advice is to bin it; it's too thin).

Then with the fourth section of the pole, hacksaw about 15 inches from the top, then work your way down, hacksawing inch by inch down the pole till the adaptor (the one from Emporium Poles) fits the end of your fishing pole snugly.

It doesn't have to be really tight, and no glue is required.

Then it's a simple case of fitting the goosneck and brush head.

Tosh

That's the pole nearly finished.

assemble the pole (it's easier to do this next bit without the brush attached) and where the male ends finish on the female ends, put two turns of gaffer tape AROUND THE MALE POLE, JUST BELOW WHERE THE FEMALE END FINISHES.

The idea of this is to make a STOP, so your poles can't compress together and you end up struggling to pull your poles apart.

It's a very simple concept, but it's not one that I find easy to describe.  If you can't understand what I've just written, that's my fault.

Here's a pic; you'll have to look carefully.

Tosh

That's the pole basically finished.

Further enhancements could be to add a turn-or-two of gaffer tape around the bottom sections of the female ends, just to protect them.

You could also use the end cap that comes with the poles and put it on your biggest bottom section just to protect that.

You could also buy another Zensorflex which will add another three foot to your fifteen-foot pole (another pole only costs £20, so it would be wise to get one for spares and so that you can use the bottom two sections to increase the height (only by 3 foot though).

Are there any questions?

Tosh

Oh, and just a quick note about the above.

It was recently pointed out to me that the SL2 modular pole is a far superior tool; and I fully agree.  But an SL2 is far too expensive a pole to go bashing it about on everyday two story work.

I'm not knocking SL2s, I'm just saying this pole is just as light, strong, and costs a fraction of 'shop purchased' poles.

pikeman

Looks really good could you do the same with a gangtser to get extra length.

Tosh

Looks really good could you do the same with a gangtser to get extra length.

I've not used a gangster, but yes, many others have.

I think that's my next purchase.

pikeman

Thanks tosh any idea what length of pole i would end up with.

Tosh

I haven't a clue, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help.

Spruce

Hi Tosh
Thanks for this.
I am a bit dim so please can you go over the gaffer tape section again.
If you wrap the tape around the male/female join, does this mean to say that we would need to undo the gaffer tape each time we disassemble the pole?
Thanks
Spruce

Tosh

Spruce,

No, the poles just pop-on-and-off.

You could use the poles without the gaffer tape, but you would be at risk of sections jamming together and you'd have to struggle to pull them apart.

So, you have to gaffer tape the male pole, just below where the female pole ends, when they're joined together; to act as a STOP; so the poles can't slide in too deeply together and get jammed.

It's one of those very simple concepts that is difficult to explain.

Is it any clearer now?

Jeff Brimble

?   ;D ;D ;D
I tried but yes its simple but difficult to explain  ;)

geefree

nice one tosh.... poles pole came today... nothing else  :(... not happy after one week.

Spruce

Hi Tosh
I am even dimmer than I gave myself credit for. I see that wrapping a couple of turns of gaffer tape around the male section to stop it from completely 'bedding' into the female section seems to work. I've just tried it now.
I refer back to a picture taken toward the end of last month with your dog and poles on some outside decking in support of Jeffs advise to fill the male ends with foam to give a little extra support. I also see that the 2nd and 5th pole pole from the left have gaffer tape on the male section. It appears from the photo that the edge of the gaffer tape closest the camera is pushed up, indicating to me that the next section, the female end has been pushing up against it.  ??? ??? ???
Spruce

Tosh

Hi Tosh
I am even dimmer than I gave myself credit for. I see that wrapping a couple of turns of gaffer tape around the male section to stop it from completely 'bedding' into the female section seems to work. I've just tried it now.
Spruce

Spruce,

It was me who got it wrong, with reference to 'male' and 'female' ends; sorry fella.

As you can tell by my avatar, I often get confused about 'male' and 'female' ends.

I'm just off to amend and correct my posts; thank you; but I see you understood what I was on about.

Sorry.  :-[

Tosh

I refer back to a picture taken toward the end of last month with your dog and poles on some outside decking in support of Jeffs advise to fill the male ends with foam to give a little extra support. I also see that the 2nd and 5th pole pole from the left have gaffer tape on the male section. It appears from the photo that the edge of the gaffer tape closest the camera is pushed up, indicating to me that the next section, the female end has been pushing up against it.  ??? ??? ???
Spruce

This photo, though I haven't got all the female ends taped up; but it's probably a good picture showing what I mean about making the STOPS out of gaffer tape.

Simple really.

I wouldn't bother with the expanding foam stuff; it didn't really work for me!

Tosh

nice one tosh.... poles pole came today... nothing else  :(... not happy after one week.

Give the supplier a 'bell', or at least an e-mail; be polite; just to find out when your gear is comming.

Have you read my DIY instruction?  Does it sound simple enough to you?  If it sounds complicated, then that's my fault; it's really simple; it should take no longer than 20 minutes to sort out.

Captain Scarlet

I love that dog!!! is he a corgi?
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Tosh

I love that dog!!! is he a corgi?

He's from the RSPCA, a rescue dog, so we don't really know, but we strongly suspect he's half Corgi, half Jack Russel.

A Kojak! 

He's a lovely little guy though - very bright - loves everyone; a real 'people dog'.

geefree

nice one tosh.... poles pole came today... nothing else  :(... not happy after one week.

Give the supplier a 'bell', or at least an e-mail; be polite; just to find out when your gear is comming.

Have you read my DIY instruction? Does it sound simple enough to you? If it sounds complicated, then that's my fault; it's really simple; it should take no longer than 20 minutes to sort out.

will do ... sent them an email just now...will also bell them tomorrow...

yes it looks pretty straightforward...... i will tackle it properly when all the equipment is here.
Oh by the way tosh   ... the  Emporium Econ 18ft Modular Pole looks ok.... are they the same as fishing poles.... in other words ... whats a modular lol?

Tosh

Oh by the way tosh   ... the  Emporium Econ 18ft Modular Pole looks ok.... are they the same as fishing poles.... in other words ... whats a modular lol?

I can't comment on the Emporium Econ 18ft modular pole, with regards to how good it is, but this is the three different types of poles:

Telescopic; as the the name implies; it lengthens and retracts like a telescope; normally with an internal hose.  For Example SLX.

Modular;  It's in sections that you add or remove depending on the job.  Always with an external hose.  For Example SL2 or DIY Fishing Pole.

Telescopic and Modular; there's a few poles that are both telescopic and modular, almost always with an external hose.  For example Facelift  (I think I'm correct in describing the Facelift as such) or Unger Telepole.

geefree

Thanks Tosh,

going back to the gaffer tape as a stop end.... is that so it doestn slip down whilst cleaning... as well as popping out.....

its just that i thought  it was simple to detach all parts to pop in the van.... or take a section or two off .... to do downstairs...

but the gaffer tape will soon wear away right?..... so prob needs re-doing regular...

or is it a daft comment ??  ;)

ftp

Question? Why hacksaw your top section down to fit the adapter? Why not glue a section of the next length on the end (the extra strong bit about for inches) and fit the adapter in that? Maybe add a few turns of insulating tape to bulk it up to fit otherwise your shortening the pole even more by chopping bits off?

Wayne Thomas

Facelift and original Ionics ergolite are both telescopic and sections can be removed as easily as sliding the sections off the poles.
Emporium 18ft pole is carbon & glass composite. It's whippy, weighs 1.1 kg and is very strong. I've really thrown mine about and still not damaged it on the ends yet. If I was treating my SL-2 as abusive as my emporium pole it would be chipped and cracked all over by now. I recommend using a gardiners superlite brush on this pole otherwise it's too whippy with all 6x 3ft sections raised from ground straight onto the glass. All 6 sections are 3ft in length and the top section has a plastic gooseneck with about 18 inches of pole length which the 1st section slides into. This makes it ideal for working on conservatories in very confined spaces. It's a good, cheap, (£59) pole for domestic work up to 21ft reach which will withstand a lot of knocks.

ftp

Sorry to butt in. Assemble your pole so that the sections are a snug fit but not mega tight then wrap two or three turns of insulation tape as close to the join as you can so it can't slip in any further.
Wrap about ten turns of insulation tape around the bottom of each unassembled section to form a collar then when you pack them away inside each other they will all stack nicely and sit on their collars.

Tosh

I've just re-read your post; yes it's just a fishing pole adapted for window cleaning; unless someone can prove me wrong.  It is 18 foot though, and the pole I'm showing you how to make is 15 foot.  So it's bigger; probably slightly better too, though I can't prove that.

But this DIY post is a good high-impact-low-cost solution to make a lightweight 'bread-and-butter' pole; I know I won't use anything else from now on; for normal two-story work.  

And if you want to spend 'proper' money on a manufactured pole, a DIY pole is a good place to start.

If anything it'll give you something to base future opinions on.

Spruce

Thanks again Tosh

We have used Unger Teleplus poles for the last 3 years and they have done us proud.
Sadly our hands get so black from ali residue that we have to think of something else. Ali poisoning must be considered a real issue. If cooking with ali pots is now a no no, then working with ali poles must also pose a health risk. 
Members here complain about telescopic fibreglass poles wearing quickly, fibreglass splinters, too heavy and whippy. Carbon fibre modular, although not as convenient  as telescopic needs to be considered as a future alternative for us anyway.

This is a great post. Its so simple to build and will help us to get a feel to see if this will work for us.

Spruce

Tosh

Cheers Spruce, it's always nice to get a thankyou for a helpful post that you've taken the time to post, though all credit should go to Jeff B.  He was the first to try 'fishing poles' as a water fed pole, and I've just jumped on the band-wagon and made a 'song and dance' about it; because I found it so good.

I'm not sure how the suppliers got wind of Jeff's 'invention' - all light-weight modular poles are based on fishing poles - but I'm betting there's a story behind it somewhere.

Anyway, no matter how I look at it, if you're in the market for a cost-effective modular pole for two-or-three storey work; nothing too extreme; then you won't go far wrong with a DIY pole.  And if you've got 'extreme' work and want to use a modular pole for it, then fork out for the expensive ones and keep it for best.

And use the much much cheaper DIY pole for bashing about your regular two-story work.

Spruce

Tosh,

I am the first to admit that I am not the proverbial sharpest knife in the draw. Each time I looked at Jeffs post on DIY poles I got confused with cutting this section off to glue this in that etc.
In all due respects to Jeff, the 'Emporium' push on adaptor has made this 'conversion' so much simpler - I could even see me getting it sorted.
Will assemble it tomorrow and see how we manage - weather permitting.

Thanks again and to Jeff also for being the inspiration.  :) :) :)

Spruce 

Tosh

the 'Emporium' push on adaptor has made this 'conversion' so much simpler - I could even see me getting it sorted.

Me too!

Wayne Thomas

The DIY site has some good info on there but as a novice it looks confusing on first impressions. It's made to look harder than it actually is with all the cutting of sections, glueing this, bandaging that and so on..... Keep It Simple Stupid will draw in more new members IMO.
I bought an Emporium 18ft pole, simple to order from website with a good simple description of lengths of sections and attachments, total length of actual pole and it's composition. No need to modify anything as it's posted with all that's necessary to unwrap it and start working with a fishing pole adapted for wfp use.
What would be more useful IMO on the DIY site would be better descriptions of the poles (i.e. Gangsta, Ron Thompson, etc) the section lengths, total lengths, weights, practical experience using the poles (i.e. whippy, rigid) and so on but keeping it all simple for others to understand and put into practice as well. Too much technical info on saving £7.00 on a goosneck conversion for DIY fishing poles which puts newbies off staying on the site as forum members to start with. :)

ftp

Simplest possible method is to stick a short length of broomhandle with thread in the end of a pole to accept a plastic angle adapter.
Hows that?  ;D

Wayne Thomas

Simplest possible method is to stick a short length of broomhandle in the end of a pole to accept a plastic angle adapter.
Hows that?  ;D

Can you elaborate ;D

Jeff Brimble

Cheers Spruce, it's always nice to get a thankyou for a helpful post .

I'm not sure how the suppliers got wind of Jeff's 'invention' - all modular poles are based on fishing poles - but I'm betting there's a story behind it somewhere.

Oh yes theres a whole story alright, but it would fragment this excellent topic Tosh so thats for another post sometime as it might be embarrassing and I am really enjoying sitting back and let you all do all the work instead of me for a change.  :) :) :) 8)

Jeff Brimble

Re making it simpler, I have just put a link to this topic  from the diy site under Tosh's "DIY Gangster (£60) versus SL2 (£450)" topic, just so you know where it is.
You dont need to use expanding foam with the Zensor, only with the thinner walls of c/f modulars its messy and there is a better alternative for that, but aint got the time to write it  it up just yet.
The Zensor and the Reload/gangster can be alternatavely combined to give to an even  longer pole for occasional use.

geefree

Thanks Tosh,

going back to the gaffer tape as a stop end.... is that so it doestn slip down whilst cleaning... as well as popping out.....

its just that i thought it was simple to detach all parts to pop in the van.... or take a section or two off .... to do downstairs...

but the gaffer tape will soon wear away right?..... so prob needs re-doing regular...

or is it a daft comment ?? ;)

geefree

Also good point made by ftp regarding length and cutting down to fit adaptor etc...

i will always ask questions, wether they are small points or not.... i dont just ask for myself.. i ask for all of us  ;D

heres another one:

has anyone ever snapped one?..... as i have a lot of conervatories.... and i will be stretching over them to clean the upstairs windows ...( when i add more length)...

what are they like for these jobs anyone.?

cheers

gary.

ftp

I've snapped a couple of Gangstas/Reloads i've also snapped an S2 and stepped on an S1 They are whippy( Ron Thompsons) but not unpleasant to work with - never used a Zensorflex.

elite mike

i have held toshs pole today ;D ;D

was really impressed, what a bargain 8)

thanks for your hospitality :)

cheers

mike

ftp

Hows Squeaky getting on with his Gangsta? (should be about twenty six feet i think) only he's been very quiet. Has he snapped it?  :o

Tosh

i have held toshs pole today ;D ;D

was really impressed, what a bargain 8)

thanks for your hospitality :)

cheers

mike

You're welcome, Mike, anytime.

It's a good bit of kit though; for £20 it certainly breaches expectations; it's cheap, but easy to make, easy to use and robust.

Spruce

Hi Tosh

Have converted 2 poles today as the weather is bad up here in the North East.

First pole I used the third section that you recommend to disguard and glued the plastic brush adaptor from the Bentley brush into that section. Having tried it, I agree that it make the pole too flimsy.

The second pole was converted as per your instructions using the 'Emporium' adaptor, and although slightly shorter, appears robust enough to work great. I cleaned the fronts of our house and the neighbours to try it out.

I have given the second one over to Cameron to try tomorrow and see how he goes.

The only pole hose I had was a length of reinforced 11mm OD, so will get some 5mm ID hose which will make it a little more easy to use.

I think the thing we will have to get used to it the modular pole concept, as we have only ever used telescopic.

Thanks again

Spruce

Tosh

Spruce,

My next project is the Gangster which is an 11 meter fishing pole (as opposed to the 8 meter Zensorflex); I'm not sure how long a pole this will provide, but I'm hoping it's long enough to do 3 story work.

As with regards to getting used to modular, rather than telescopic; I believe you used to use Unger Teles; they were rotten poles at times to adjust the height; or even worse, when you just wanted to ground floor work, after removing the thin inner pole, it could be a right bugger trying to get it back into the main poles.

With the DIY pole, I love the way I can just 'pop off or on' a section in a fraction of a second; no effort.  Unwanted sections you just lean against a wall, or place on top of a hedge; or similar.

When moving with the pole I either keep the whole thing assembled, or if I've an obstacle in the way, I just half the pole into two peices.  It's easy.

Just make sure you don't leave a section anywhere, when you're finished!  ;D

geefree

Hi Tosh,

all my bits have arrived now so i will have a go now.... ;)

Tosh

Post back after you've done it; tell me what you think.

I'm so excited for you I don't know whether to poo or turn blind!

geefree

i believe you are lol.... it must feel good helping us all make cheap pole....

still cant get my head around the gaffer tape bit.... but i will when i do it i suppose.

will a rubber seal of some sorts do the same job? e.g small hoover belt etc. :)

Tosh

Gazza,

Sometimes you remind me of my Grandmother!  Look, keep it simple, use the gaffer tape; stop being a 'prissy woman'; the pole will look fine.  In fact SL2 users could do the same thing; I've read a recent post where a guy couldn't pull his pole apart because they'd compressed together.

You do understand where to gaffer tape, don't you?

You can make improvements later, just remove the gaffer tape.

FFS (For Flips Sake  ;))

geefree

lol... ok ..

;)   but whats a prissy woman  ;D

Tosh

lol... ok ..

Prissy comes from a combination of 'Prim' and 'Cissy'; you could also describe it as 'Squeaky Like'.

Have you done it yet?

ftp

Black insulation tape is more pleasing on the eye.  ;)

elite mike

Post back after you've done it; tell me what you think.

I'm so excited for you I don't know whether to poo or turn blind!

hope you have plenty andrex ;D ;D

Tosh

Black insulation tape is more pleasing on the eye.  ;)

But it's not as strong as good old 'black nasty'.

Please use gaffer tape; you can always change it after.  When doing anything new; from boxing to... err, well anything, you should do it the 'orthordox way', then adjust to suit your own requirements.

So stick with the black nasty... please!

geefree

Prissy comes from a combination of 'Prim' and 'Cissy'; you could also describe it as 'Squeaky Like'.

Have you done it yet?

cissy....dont think so cock.:)

ftp

This is how i tape my poles to stop them jamming and chipping.

Tosh

cissy....dont think so cock.:)

That's a bit crude, but I'm fine with it.

Have you done it yet?

geefree

cock is a friendly term in these parts... like ..mate.. pal... etc.. ;D

yes all done... im very impressed with it Tosh... and like you said the pole is so easy to take apart... and seems very strong....

i like it a lot.... just off to get some pole hose now ... oh and i need a tail end adaptor... damm... i forgot about that... no spare one.... why cant we buy these bits in shops?....

never mind.
Thanks again tosh , for taking time ,  to do this post and help us all..

really appreciate it very much.... and looking forward to using the new pole.

Thank You Again.   ;)

and you have won your challenge.... your money is safe  :D

Tosh

and you have won your challenge.... your money is safe  :D

No it's not.  I want you to use it for a month; don't step on it (though I reckon it's still be okay, unless you're Ian_Giles ( ;))) or try and shut your van door on it.  Off-the-shelf suppliers won't refund you for breakages; nor will I.

In a month, if you're still happy with it, I want you to donate a fiver to Matt's DIY site for the upkeep of it; it's there I found out about this.  I've donated a tenner to it; though Matt admitted it went towards a pizza delivery (the chav).  If you're not happy with it, bill me (but I'd like you to post the pole to me; I'll use it; I'll pay for delivery of course).

I'd also like you to post how you get on with it; honestly; if stuff is a pain, say so, if it's good say so.  Please start a new post after your first day; this one is getting a bit unwieldy and cluttered.  Something like, 'Gazza's new DIY pole diary' or something.

I'd like an honest review; but don't say it's too short; it's a 15 foot pole!  I need a longer one; that's my next project.  (You may have to use your old long poles for the higher work; like I have too  >:()

Agreed?

Tosh

cock is a friendly term in these parts...

I don't think it's a friendly term in these parts; Squeaky frequently refers to me as a 'cock', and I'm sure he's not being friendly at the time.

But I've got skin thicker than the callouses on Wor Lasses marathon-running-feet; and what a state they are; black toe-nails too; urgh!

She's lucky I haven't got a foot fetish!

geefree

Yes, will do... and then i will donate a fiver to the d.i.y. forum..

will keep you up to date with how the pole is going on and wether or not i truly like it....

" hey up cock" is a friendly yorkshire saying ... like hello mate. ... see if squeaky agrees. eh ?  ;D

Tosh

Gazza,

Yeh right! I believe you with reference to the word, 'cock'!  ;D

I look forward to your new post describing how you get on with it; please be honest; if you think it's naff, say so.  I think you're fairly new(ish) to window cleaning, so this should be interesting.

Spruce

I'd also like you to contribute to Gazza's new post; when he gets it going.  I think you're a more experienced with WFP, so that should help the post.

Anyway, this DIY pole, personally, I think it's great; work doesn't seem so much like 'work' anymore; particularly on any jobs which involved a lot of pole work.

Tosh

" hey up cock" is a friendly yorkshire saying ... like hello mate. ... see if squeaky agrees. eh ?  ;D

No, I disagree.

I used to go out with a Catholic School Teacher from 'uddersfield  (she taught at St Joseph's School in Halifax (just in case any of her ex-pupils are here)), for quite a few years, and she used to say, 'Ey up Chuck'!

It definately was not 'Hey up Cock'.

You're taking the mick, I know you are!  ;D

geefree

i swear.... wait until the yorkshire lads come on..... chuck is very rarely used nowadays... and is seen as a pre-1960s saying....

"cock" is not widely used... but its still a word we use in friendliness, and ... hey up cock, how are yer. etc...

please can someone back me up lol. ;)

seandyer2003

i swear.... wait until the yorkshire lads come on..... chuck is very rarely used nowadays... and is seen as a pre-1960s saying....

"cock" is not widely used... but its still a word we use in friendliness, and ... hey up cock, how are yer. etc...

please can someone back me up lol. ;)

i have heard it....im only up the road, a lady i know once said to a mate of mine pointing to his crotch - "youve got something on yer, cock" obviously it was p funny as she didnt mean the way it sounded haha

m.b.s.

yes m8 'Hey up Cock' is a yorkshire saying
same as hey up duck i think is from doncaster way
hey up my old cocker is another
hes not talking the mick m8 ;)

geefree

def yorkshire.... eye up me old cock, is tha or  reht. a wat.?

Tosh

Guys, this post has become so big and full of chat, I'm going to have to lock it.

Sorry.

Hopefully Gazza, who seems like a good communicator will start a new DIY pole post; I personally would like to know how he fairs with his new pole.

Regards,

Tosh.

Tosh

In light of recent posts; some of the above could be helpful; PAGE 3 IS THE PERTINENT PAGE.

But check out Matt's DIY link (I'm sure Mike doesn't mind me advertising this; if he does let me know; Matt's not a supplier)... there's some good stuff there.

matt

i have a new DIY POLE site, i know alot found the old 1 very slow and wouldnt load :( my fault, as i couldnt get it to work on my paid for DIY hosted site, so i used a free host

anyways, this 1 is better

http://diywfpole.webs.com/

though the end screw bit that tosh uses seems to work well, so i will update the site to say to use that, afterall its cheaper than the unger option, though the unger is handy to take other things

Blue Frog Systems

Thought I would bring this back from the dead as I'm sure it will be useful.

Certainly been useful for myself

Thanks Tosh (even though I wasn't a window cleaner while this was going on)
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

matt

Thought I would bring this back from the dead as I'm sure it will be useful.

Certainly been useful for myself

Thanks Tosh (even though I wasn't a window cleaner while this was going on)

its a good thread

have a look at this, in it i have explained in more detail what needs to be done

http://alturl.com/bhvi

Blue Frog Systems

Can two of these poles be interchanged matt ? I read you can use the last two sections, but can the ones in between be added at any stage ?

matt

oh and as another update

my pole is now 2 and 1/2 years old and still going strong  ;D

and they said the pole wouldnt be strong enough

matt

Can two of these poles be interchanged matt ? I read you can use the last two sections, but can the ones in between be added at any stage ?

some can yes, you just have to work out which

when i got the pole to 45 ft, i used 2 Zenflex and 1 gangsta ( with a few spare bits )

Blue Frog Systems

Matt... If I bought 2 x zenflex's, could I fit most of the poles together to create a larger pole ?

matt

Matt... If I bought 2 x zenflex's, could I fit most of the poles together to create a larger pole ?

yes

BUT only using the last 2 sections which would increase your pole by about 6 ft

the other bits would be handy as spares

Blue Frog Systems

Ok, so one zenflex would give me 15ft (by tosh's guide) and then each additional pole would give me an extra 6ft.

1 - 15ft
2 - 21ft
3 - 27ft

And so on.

So roughly £20 a pole that works out at £60 for a 27ft pole.

Are there any other options for a 27ft pole but at a lower price ?

Tosh

Window Wipers, I'm not sure the Zensorflex would be good to use as a 27 foot pole - not on a regular basis anyway - because the bottom sections you would build it up with slide really far into each other.

Buy two Zensorflex's (or whatever the equivalent pole is) and have a play round with those first.

Blue Frog Systems

Tosh, its only going to be used on about 20 houses and on 10 of them its only a window or two.

So not a regular thing at that height.

Am going to have a ring round my local fishing shops at dinner time and see who sells the and can give me the best deal seen as though they can keep the two top sections.

As I've said before... Cracking thread Tosh ! I've been trawling for something in 'simple terms' as everything else has gone over my head. Its like an idiots guide made especially for me ;D

Tosh

Right, no probs.  That's a few beers you owe me, should I ever start drinking again.  ;D

Tosh

Oh, and can you get the Emporium push fitting thing these days?  Emporium have stopped trading and even before they did, they withdrew selling the push fitting shortly after I started this post; you could only get it if you purchased one of their poles.

Blue Frog Systems

Non alcoholic drink Tosh ??? ;)

The push fitting I haven't look into. I'm going to recycle parts from my unusable FG pole to start

Blue Frog Systems

And .....

How much length does each additional pole add to the original one Tosh ?

I've heard some say 3ft and some say nearly 6ft. Is it the last two sections you can keep adding on ?

Jeff Brimble

Ok Window wipers, after a bit of thought for those wanting to "grow" their own poles 
The Harris pole can be made 6ft longer by sticking another Harris on it ! Put the no2 section of the second Harris into the base section of the first pole, you only need a collar of approx 10" so cut off the rest. Now the second and third piece will fit inside the base piece of the first pole, . (Some may remeber I did similar with a 45ft unger)
 Ta-rar  you could do it again with a third pole but its starting to get a bit ridiculous when the best answer is an F16.

Zensorflex can be made longer by discarding the top(first) section of a Harris and removing the threaded cone off the second section, now push this second section inside the base section of the Zensorflex until it jams. then push the base section up also into the base section of the Zensor and tighten up the collar. A simple 6ft extension  You will need to rasp a bit of the top of the 3rd section Harris to get a tapered fit.

OR you could go to the timber yard and get a large size curtain pole with a large diameter and shove that into the base of the zensor, shave it a bit tapered like a pecil sharpener, Its parallel so you will need to add tape to increase the diameter so it locks in.

8) 8) thats a pint ! Its also on matts diy forum http://diywfpole.webs.com/

Jeff Brimble

Window wipers has been emailing me and thats my best shot to help him.
If you want costs then I suggest a 42ft F16 for £250 ish but you will have to look up the cost of an actual 42ft Gardner as a comparison yourself, I got to get back to my Tax work. :'( Or maybe you could post it for me ?

Blue Frog Systems

Thanks Jeff :)

Muchly appreciated

ftp

40' Superlight will set you back around £720 that's complete with vat, brush, hose, holdall etc.
So the homemade version would need what? About £80ish to complete it? So a homemade fishing pole would be very roughly around £350 but I don't know if that's for brand new sections and haven't tried to source them.
At the end of the day you still end up with a cheaper but inferior pole that is far more fragile. You pays yer money and takes yer choice.
Personally I'd rather pay the extra on a long pole like that.
Now, if you only want a pole for two storeys then the home made modulars are a bargain - if you can put up with the flex and fragility.

ftp

Sorry to be dense FTP. Which one are you refering to? Am I right in thinking it's the 16mtr one? What size W/C pole would that make please.

I have used a zensorflex to good effect to create a decent low level pole. Wouldn't mind ditching my heavy 45foot tucker pole....

geefree

nearly one year to the day this was started. ;)

ftp

Jeff was referring to th F16 to make a forty foot plus pole. Just did a quick google to see how much they were.

ta for that....
Not a bad deal

The end I used for my emporium type connection was off a standard cheap broom.
Take your brush head along to B & Q or Homebase and see what fits thats what I did. ;D

Jeff Brimble

Its a great idea, and good for us who dont want to keep replacing poles with expensive ones,

how can i refuse this challenge?

can i please make a point before you start,, well two

Hi gazza  :) good post.

Ok Tosh, them were the only downsides i could think of.... and i am sure they can be overcome once i get used to it.

so lets go, i accept the challenge. ;) :)
Hi Gazza  :)good post

matt

Ok, so one zenflex would give me 15ft (by tosh's guide) and then each additional pole would give me an extra 6ft.

1 - 15ft
2 - 21ft
3 - 27ft

And so on.

So roughly £20 a pole that works out at £60 for a 27ft pole.

Are there any other options for a 27ft pole but at a lower price ?

it only really works well once

some1 on here posted they had found a longer pole, was it 12.5 M 9 for under 100 quid if i remember correctly ) have a search for the post, i think it was just before christmas

the gangsta and Zenflex will be your better bet for longer poles