Tosh

INTRODUCTION

I know a few local window cleaners who use expensive modular poles for their routine two-story jobs.  These poles are expensive, and while (probably) great on stuff higher than 3 stories, they don’t always seem to last that long when in regular use; so I made my own lightweight modular pole - very cheaply - for use on two-story work, and think it’s great.

All credit goes to Jeff B and Matt, whom I’ve copied from.

THE CHALLENGE

In response to this post

www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=63854.0

I was ‘wound up’ by yet another post suggesting some  ‘pole snobbery‘, so I’ve challenged Gazza to make a new DIY WFP ‘fishing pole’ like my own.  This is what the popular modular 'shop bought' poles are based on; modified fishing gear.

Mine is only a small one, somewhere between 15 and 19 foot high; I haven‘t measured it; but it‘s good enough for most two-story work; all all ground floor work, and if Gazza doesn’t like it, I’ll refund him every penny he will spend on it; probably between £30 to £40; how cheap is that!  It's much better than spending £400 quid on a 'bread and butter' pole.

The rules are, before I refund him he has to meet the following criteria:

1.   Make the WFP according the instructions I give (very simple).
2.   Use it for one month.
3.   He has to be honest.  He has to note the good and bad points.
4.   I won't fork out for sheer clumsyness; as modular pole suppliers won't either.  Remember Squeaks has had his expensive shop-bought modular pole stepped-on and broken TWICE, and that was just tough.

And if Gazza is seriously unhappy with it; I’ll refund him for everything, except the cost of a new brush (which he could use on any other pole of his choice).

But I'm confident he'll like it.

To Gazza,

Acknowledge the challenge and I’ll post the stuff you’ve got to get with links to where you get it from.

geefree

Its a great idea, and good for us who dont want to keep replacing poles with expensive ones,

how can i refuse this challenge?

can i please make a point before you start,, well two

1/ sometimes you reach a window over a conservatory, and need just a little extra length..... so you simply release the clamp and push a bit more out....

so will this slow me down with a fishing pole.. having to drop it to the ground to attach another piece?

2/. is it quick and simple to dismantle at the van, for speed of getting to next customer.?

Ok Tosh, them were the only downsides i could think of.... and i am sure they can be overcome once i get used to it.

so lets go, i accept the challenge. ;) :)

Tosh

1/ sometimes you reach a window over a conservatory, and need just a little extra length..... so you simply release the clamp and push a bit more out....

so will this slow me down with a fishing pole.. having to drop it to the ground to attach another piece?

2/. is it quick and simple to dismantle at the van, for speed of getting to next customer.?

Gaz, in answer to question 1/:  FFS, how big is the conservatory? I don't know.  Maybe you'll need a longer peice.  But it's nothing to just put a longer section on the end.

After the first time round 'your round', you'll know what jobs you need more-or-less pole sections for.

For question 2/ no problems, really quick; it just pulls apart and pushes together.

But remember, the pole we're going to make is between 15 to 19 foot long, though I believe it's easy to make it another 6 or 12 foot longer (but I haven't tried this yet; for £20 to £40 respectively).

For question 3/ (which you didn't ask), it's a modular pole, telescopic carbon poles are better, but you'll need to spend about £400 to £500 quid on them, and they may not last long either.

I'm going to show how to make a lightweight modular pole; good quality too; for under £40 quid.

Give me a bit of time to put something together; maybe tomorrow; okay!

Jeff Brimble

Your money is safe Tosh  8) Here is a cheaper supplier of the Zensorflex  thanks to Mattstanley www.mullarkeys.co.uk/fishing/poles-and-accessories/carp-and-match-fishing-poles/0/ron-thompson/7389/

geefree

Ok thank you.  ;)

MJH

Cheap glass fibre xtels are fine for domestics, i would never use my carbons on residential work, total waste of time and money!!

gmcs

Let me know who wins I would love to spend £40.00 on a pole

Tosh

Gazza,

Ignore any other comments; try it for yourself.  An intelligent bloke gathers information from as many different sources as possible, then makes his own mind up; and for under £40 what have you got to lose; especially if I'm going to refund you if you're not happy?

So, what you’ve got to buy is the following:

1.   The fishing pole (compliments of Jeff):  (£14.99) www.mullarkeys.co.uk/fishing/poles-and-accessories/carp-and-match-fishing-poles/0/ron-thompson/7389/

2.   The thing that fit’s the angle to the fishing pole: (£6.95) www.emporiumpoles.co.uk/?plasticextendertube_

3.   The angle: (£2.50) www.emporiumpoles.co.uk/?angleadaptor

4.   The Brush (non refundable): (£12.95) www.emporiumpoles.co.uk/?bently_jetted_brush

5.   A small roll of gaffer tape. (£2.00 ish)

I work the whole thing out as £39.39, but you’ve got to add VAT and P & P onto that; so you’re looking at about £50 (but remember, I said POLE at under £40; brush isn’t included; but you do need a lightweight brush).

So we’re still on budget.

Once you’ve ordered and received the stuff, get back to me and I’ll have some step-by-step photos to show you what to do; though that makes it sound more complicated than it actually is.

It’s very simple; half-an-hour’s work - at most - even a Geordie can do it.

geefree

Thanks Tosh,

evertyhing ordered but the gaffa tape.... which i have somewhere but will buy some tomorrow, save me searching the garage.

i didnt check the delivery times, but shoulnt be too long.

thought i would let you know they have been ordered, to show you i am serious.

cheers.

Tosh

Your money is safe Tosh  8) Here is a cheaper supplier of the Zensorflex  thanks to Mattstanley www.mullarkeys.co.uk/fishing/poles-and-accessories/carp-and-match-fishing-poles/0/ron-thompson/7389/

Cheers, Jeff,

I've just ordered another two of those poles.

From what Matt said, you can increase the size of the Zensorflex by 6 foot per pole, so by ordering two, I'm hoping I can get another 12 foot in height.

But even if I can't, I've got loads and loads of spares, and even if I can, I've still got loads and loads of spares.

All for less than £40!

Bargin.

steven ainger

how rigid is the pole at about 18ft, in comparison to something like an x-tel?

Tosh

Thanks Tosh,

evertyhing ordered but the gaffa tape.... which i have somewhere but will buy some tomorrow, save me searching the garage.

i didnt check the delivery times, but shoulnt be too long.

thought i would let you know they have been ordered, to show you i am serious.

cheers.

Good on you; you won't be disapointed.  Normally when you buy cheap, you get cheap; but this will be one of the rare occasions this saying is wrong.

Honest; my pole is great; it's gross weight including brush is under 1.3Kg.  And it's really stiff and is about 16 to 19 foot long.  Why not weigh you're own pole including brush head and see what the difference is?

But as I say, if you don't like it, I promise to refund you; I'm that certain you'll like it.

Once you receive it all, give me a shout and I'll post pics that I'll have made up ready to show you the rest of the way; but it's really simple.

It'll include chucking the top three sections away and hacksawing the fourth section to a point where sleeve thing slides over it; the 'sleeve thing' has a 'screw thing' which the angle joint screws onto it; and the brush screws onto that.

That's basically your pole made.  You just have to add some gaffer tape at a couple of strategic points, and you're finished.

Tosh

how rigid is the pole at about 18ft, in comparison to something like an x-tel?

I don't know, I've only ever used an Ionics 18 foot fibre glass pole (which lasted about 6 months) and an Unger aluminium pole.

But over 18 ft, it's ridgid enough to do what-ever you want to do with it; even working with it parallel to the ground.

To be honest, I've only been using mine for over a week, but I've given it a right 'beasting'; I've banged it, dropped it, and slapped windows shut with it; and it's fine.

Matt's been using his for about a year and it's still fine.

Only time will tell, but I'm 99% sure it's a great pole - at the price - for routine two-story work.

[GQC] Tim

Is there no way to make a telescopic from a fishing pole? Get some saddle clamps, make a key hole slot in the pole somehow? That would be even better.

Tosh

Is there no way to make a telescopic from a fishing pole? Get some saddle clamps, make a key hole slot in the pole somehow? That would be even better.

Jeff B was asked this, and he said no; and I agree.

Fishing pole sections are tapered, whereas telescopic poles are linear; to start with.

Fish pole sections are also very thin; I think if there was a way; suppliers would be doing it now.

[GQC] Tim

Oh yea of course, they are tapered, totally forgot about that, that's a shame.

Jeff Brimble

Briefly, yes there is using glassfibre, you need skyblue flag pole and read the "world pole" topic on the diy forum....but its for diy experts.

Spruce

Hi
Also ordered the parts required to build a new pole.
Not part of the challenge, but please don't forget to put the step by step instructions up.
Thanks
Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

elite mike

Hi
Also ordered the parts required to build a new pole.
Not part of the challenge, but please don't forget to put the step by step instructions up.
Thanks
Spruce

ime looking forward to this as well ;D

what a great post :D

ftp

Crikey it's taken eighteen months for you lot to catch on - why the sudden interest?
Jeff posted yonks ago how to make these poles. I had a Reload for a year and got ribbed for having one on this very forum. Back then you had to spend over £1000 on a carbon facelift to be a proper windowcleaner.  :o
There's practically nothing that can't be diyed in one way or another.