Tosh

How loyal are your commercial customers?
« on: October 24, 2008, 04:54:02 pm »
I've recently taken on a largeish commercial unit in an industrial estate, and by sheer coincidence the industrial unit across the road is managed by a runner from Wor Lasses running club whose asked her for a quote (he's in the USA till next Tuesday), so we're quoting on Thursday.

Anyway,  while I was there I noted the names of the other businesses in the immediate vicinity, googled for their phone numbers, and I pulled my finger out and phoned four of them this morning; I've been meaning to do this for ages. 

I basically said that I am a local window cleaner and I've just taken on "company X" and have been also asked to quote for "company Y"; both of which are in your location.

Would you like a quote?

All of them said they had a window cleaner already - but they didn't rule us out - two said the guy you need to speak to isn't here till next week; told me their names (I asked); and said 'phone back'. 

One lady said can you e-mail the guy you need to speak to (no problems), and the last said, 'Yes give us a quote; if you're cheaper than our current window cleaner, you might be in luck'.

It just makes me think how disloyal my current commercial customers could be!

What's your thoughts?

matt

Re: How loyal are your commercial customers?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 05:09:11 pm »
sign of the times i guess

every1 is trying to cut costs and if they are offered it on a plate without having to do anything, then i guess they will

shame really

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 05:16:07 pm »
maybe ask their current w/cers first efore you tread on their testicles?
But thats not business thats courtesey  :)

dai

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 08:58:04 pm »

That's a good idea, see the other guy first, ask what he charges and put in a quote for double the amount. Next time round the existing cleaner can put his price up 50% and give you a cut of the extra.
Money for old rope ;D

MJH

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 09:03:03 pm »

Commercial work is competitive you are entitled to under cut to win jobs!!

Courtesy is excellent but it doesn't always bring the cash in!!

geefree

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 09:15:12 pm »
Certain people would be loyal , others wouldnt,... some only care for themselves, and what they can get for nothing!,.. others may stay loyal, but only if you do a top job...... as in the back of their minds they will always think about a cheaper option,

its a way of life for everyone.... unless its family.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 09:36:12 pm »
I've recently taken on a largeish commercial unit in an industrial estate, and by sheer coincidence the industrial unit across the road is managed by a runner from Wor Lasses running club whose asked her for a quote (he's in the USA till next Tuesday), so we're quoting on Thursday.

Anyway,  while I was there I noted the names of the other businesses in the immediate vicinity, googled for their phone numbers, and I pulled my finger out and phoned four of them this morning; I've been meaning to do this for ages. 

I basically said that I am a local window cleaner and I've just taken on "company X" and have been also asked to quote for "company Y"; both of which are in your location.

Would you like a quote?

All of them said they had a window cleaner already - but they didn't rule us out - two said the guy you need to speak to isn't here till next week; told me their names (I asked); and said 'phone back'. 

One lady said can you e-mail the guy you need to speak to (no problems), and the last said, 'Yes give us a quote; if you're cheaper than our current window cleaner, you might be in luck'.

It just makes me think how disloyal my current commercial customers could be!

What's your thoughts?
I'd expect brake fluid on the car and big blokes with baseball bats then. ;D

Tosh

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 10:41:54 pm »
Yeh, like the window cleaners are a really scary lot!

And I suspect these accounts are done by the 'big boys' like OCS and the like; so I'd have no problems taking work from them if I had the chance.

They had no problems taking it from me recently.

Squeaks, get real.

peter holley

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 10:56:14 pm »
commercial is a pain in the arse ::) not coz of thew money , ut the waiting time for payment :-[i do my commercial jobs on my last of priority :o

Tosh

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 11:06:33 pm »
As long as you get paid eventually and your not desperate for the money, does it matter?

I agree though, tt is a pain if you need the money.

mark dew

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 12:03:52 am »
I don't have much experience of it but i suspect they aren't that loyal.

I clean for a cleaning company sometimes who are loyal, but only because we've all known each other for 30 years.

Another job (my only monthly commercial) are definitely not. I picked up the job cos the wc who had been cleaning them for 20 years tried putting the price up last xmas time.
I was contacted me through free yell advert and they asked me if i could do this place within their budget of £175.
It is now mine but i don't know for how long. But 12 hours of cleaning it has paid for an sl2, so it's been a gain whichever way the wind blows.