Tosh

Re: Spurred on by Squeaky; Any tips on my DIY Carbon Pole...
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 10:04:33 pm »
So what about extending the pole, surely it aint as easy as a telscopic pole.

Modular poles and telescopic both have their pros and cons, but on balance I think you're right in this respect.

But then there's the cost of a telescopic carbon fibre pole; personally I'd love a Facelift (no not the cosmetic surgery), because I've had a go of it, and it's both modular and telescopic.

But to be honest, I don't think they're hard-wearing, and I can't afford to fork out several-hundred quid each year on a new pole.

matt

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 10:14:56 pm »

So what about extending the pole, surely it aint as easy as a telscopic pole.

i thought that aswell, thats why i had my RT Z-flex in the garage for a long time

i thought i would give it a whirl and was hooked, i still have my unger ali pole, but its never used and i hope it never will be

it really is easy, i have 3 pole sections, they are colour coded with tape and its just a case of putting 1 inside the other, how easy can that be

pjulk

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2008, 10:20:21 pm »
Is this the pole i need to convert and if so what height once converted will this pole give me.

www.tackleboxwallasey.co.uk/html/zensorflex_take-apart_8m_pole.html

matt

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2008, 10:25:44 pm »
Is this the pole i need to convert and if so what height once converted will this pole give me.

w ww.t ackleboxwallasey.co.uk/html/zensorflex_take-apart_8m_pole.html

looks like, its 8 M at the start ( you lose the first 3 , i think sections )

pjulk

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2008, 10:27:48 pm »
So it would probably end up about the same size as my harris

matt

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2008, 10:29:43 pm »
So it would probably end up about the same size as my harris

as you can see by tosh's pic

that pole he has is a unger 3 X 2 M pole ( take into account the bit thats inside for the telescopic to work ) the RT is about the same size

pjulk

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2008, 10:37:58 pm »
Thanks very much matt.

I also have an unger 3 x 2 so the pole would be about 18 feet then.

Can you buy two of these pole's and join sections together

matt

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2008, 10:42:58 pm »
Thanks very much matt.

I also have an unger 3 x 2 so the pole would be about 18 feet then.

Can you buy two of these pole's and join sections together

you can use the base sections inside each other ( the first 2 ), yes thats what ive done for a slightly higher commercail job, the first 2 sections measure about 6 ft, so you would spend a extra 20 quid for 6 ft ( with all the others as spares )

you can buy the RT gangsta for 50 - 60 quid and that will get you much higher

as a note ( a cut and paste from the DIY forum )

i use a RT zensorflex everyday now

i needed a pole slightly longer than the unger 3 X 3M

so i brought a Reload ( gangsta ) ( well it was a reload with a few spare bits )

i combined the reload with TWO Zensorflex's ( mainly the base sections )

measured it at 42 ft

im well chuffed

price for new poles, 140 quid ( thats TWO reloads and TWO zensorflex ) though to be honest i looked at it and you could do it with THREE Zensorflex and ONE reload ( thus 95 quid ) infact im going to try and do it tomorrow ( i never did get around to trying, sorry )

really light and really stable aswell

pjulk

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2008, 10:50:41 pm »
Thanks matt.

I only need 24ft for now so i will get two zensorflex poles.

But may buy one of the others also.

But will see how i get on with the zensorflex poles first.

Many thanks

Dave Turley

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2008, 11:15:47 pm »
WOW! all this cutting/sanding/glueing/taping/bodging takes me back 3 years to when I was starting up wfp and spent a month reading every diy waterdpole thread ever posted!

(thanks matt)

as for the pole hose flapping about, just wrap it around your pole, about 1 twist per section

ftp

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2008, 09:41:26 am »
Must be the credit crunch.  ;D

Tosh

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2008, 10:49:34 am »
Must be the credit crunch.  ;D

Or maybe it's just that I have other better things to spend my money on? 

If I wanted to buy a brand-new-shiny van and an off-the-shelf system I could; cash; but I prefer to leave what we've got in the bank/mortgage; we've got one of those mortgages we can dip into - or overpay; and to be honest, I prefer to overpay than spend it.

Anyway, I've re-jigged my pole, total cost so far is £20 and I've a 20 foot light-weight pole; I'll have to spend about another £20 on a light-weight brush and an angle.

Cost in time about an-hour, but next time I do it, I reckon about half-an-hour.  It's just my 'learning DIY pole', so I guess I'll spend more, but there's no way I'm going to spend £500 on a modular carbon-fibre pole that's no better (I suspect) than a £60 DIY job.

I read the forums and know guys who've had just the same problems with expensive off-the-shelf poles as those with cost-effective DIY poles.

Sometimes I think some window cleaners have more credit than sense.

Anyway, it looks like the weather's brightening up, so I should get I bottom out and do some work!  ;D

ftp

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2008, 11:13:11 am »
My thoughts too Tosh. I did go for an slx in the end though because i had a habit of treading on my fishing poles.  ::) I had an S1 for best and a gangsta/reload for every day. The s1 only came out for the high stuff.
Your right about expensive modulars being no better really. It's when you get higher that you really appreciate the difference but for normal two storey work they are fine. The expensive modulars dont bend anyware near as much over a conservatory roof though. Good luck and if you don't break it they are brilliant for the money and so easy to work with.

Tosh

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2008, 05:12:04 pm »
Hey,

I used my fishing pole for the first time today on an old folks complex; it has about 60 1st floor windows and it was always tiring doing one window after the other, after the other using three sections of the Unger aliminium pole.

I couldn't believe how easy it was with the fishing pole; it was a breeze; and once I get a lighter brush head and goosekneck, it should be even better.

For £21, the pole is a dream; I don't know how long it'll last; but who cares at £21!

Thanks Matt and Jeff B.

matt

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2008, 06:48:54 pm »
Hey,

I used my fishing pole for the first time today on an old folks complex; it has about 60 1st floor windows and it was always tiring doing one window after the other, after the other using three sections of the Unger aliminium pole.

I couldn't believe how easy it was with the fishing pole; it was a breeze; and once I get a lighter brush head and goosekneck, it should be even better.

For £21, the pole is a dream; I don't know how long it'll last; but who cares at £21!

Thanks Matt and Jeff B.

:) i was exactly the same, im a biggish guy and can handle the unger ali all day long, i tried the RT and its so light

ref how long it lasts, mine is now just over 1 year old and still going strong, 20 quid for 1 years use of a lightweight pole, cannot be bad

Tosh

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2008, 07:16:03 pm »
Matt,

It's not often you buy something cheap and find out it's actually a great buy!

Anyway, this morning while it was raining, I re-jigged the pole; following advice from both you and Jeff; as in I've discarded the top three sections of pole and put the Unger short length inside the pole; a thicker part; and joined the pole sections in the same way as you do.

I've also used gaffer tape to make 'stops' so the peices of the pole I want to separate can't compact together.

But:

Do you spray your male ends (pfnaar pfnaar) with PTFE spray?

Do you also strengthen the male ends up with that foam stuff that goes 'ard?

Cheers.

Tosh.

XXX

matt

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2008, 07:32:16 pm »

But:

Do you spray your male ends (pfnaar pfnaar) with PTFE spray?

Do you also strengthen the male ends up with that foam stuff that goes 'ard?

Cheers.

Tosh.

XXX

it was about 9 months before i got some PTFE spray, only because every1 on here was on about it, i sprayed it on once and thats been it, its in the garage and not used, the tape stops stop the pole from going in too far, thus no need for it imho

i also brought some expanding foam ( it was really cheap in aldi's or lides ) its also in my garage, un-used

so thats a no and a no, but you could waste a few quid and buy the stuff to stick in your garage  ;D ;D ;D

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2008, 07:36:25 pm »
I still don't know which one to buy.
If there's a few recommendations I'll order tonight.

Doubt I'll get around to shopping, so I'll cope for a couple of days until mail order arrives.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2008, 07:40:38 pm »
You generally only need foam inside the much thinner composite gangsta or c/f fishing poles. But there is a better way than using foam - more later. Zensor is very robust. If its not long enough upgrade to the Gangsta or similar - now that you have a top section that will easily fit it or any other fishing type pole.
The Zensor has one slight advantage over the alu harris pole, its a lot warmer to use on freezing days.
Glad your enjoying using it  8)

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2008, 07:45:27 pm »
Rog, order both the Zensor and the Gangsta.. Use the gangasta as an everyday pole and get your sl sections repaired or replaced.