Tosh

Spurred on by Squeaky; Any tips on my DIY Carbon Pole...
« on: October 19, 2008, 04:33:08 pm »
Here's the photos first:

Tosh

Re: Spurred on by Squeaky; Any tips on my DIY Carbon Pole...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 04:33:55 pm »
I purchased a zenzor flex fishing pole about two-years-ago (as suggested by Matt's DIY WFP forum site at the time) but never did get around to turning it into a WFP.

So this afternoon I pulled my finger out , stuck the pole together with some gaffer tape, and hacksawed here and there; and the end result is great(ish). 

I think it cost £20 from E-Bay, but I do need a lighter gooseneck and brush; I'm using a hefty aluminium gooseneck and an archaic Ionic brush head.

But even so, tomorrow I have to do a whole load of first floor windows on one building; about sixty of them, and I just know this pole will be easier to handle than my heavy Unger one.

So my questions are, what can I do to improve the pole, and where can I purchase a lightweight brush and gooseneck from?

ftp

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 05:50:39 pm »
Best lightest brush - Gardiners. Plastic angle adapter and i think you can get an extension to fit it from Varitech maybe? I can't remember. I think Matt keeps two sections glued together at a time.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 06:16:41 pm »
Reduce the length of the adapter reach by cutting off just enough to allow the threaded cone to click home in the new re drilled holes. Less distance and leverage at the top of the pole will make it far more useable. You can make up a short reach and keep the one you have as a long reach. You can get Ungerplastic/alloy adjustables from Lakeland plastics about £7  in blue or from windowcleancentre or express cleaning. Personally I prefer a short 3ft top section for close up ground floor work so maybe dont join the top two together. It will take you a bity of time to get used to working modular but the lighter weight you will like even though the Zensor is a bit bouncy. I would also take a surform file to the brush and take an ounce or two off it. Most of the bigger stores stock an addis monofilament floor brush or at a pinch the flocked Bentley. Rip the threaded cone out of the handle and jamm it in the unger elbow with a self taper.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 06:19:44 pm »
You will also find that the unger no1 and 2 cone after a sand down will slide inside the last section of the zensor, 2ft apart so you can use the zensor on top of the unger pole to go a bit higher at a stretch.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 06:20:48 pm »
Oh its not a carbon pole but glassfibre  ::)

ftp

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 06:24:46 pm »
Two different techniques there, Jeff Unger Brimbles method or the vikan type thread on a piece of broomhandle method. They both work but if you are familiar with Unger stuff (i'm not) then Jeff will help you all the way.  ;)

matt

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 06:28:46 pm »
my advice

start from the bottom ( the bast handle sections ) use the case they come in aswell )

super glue two together

then the next 2 sections, glue them together

so now you have 2 sections :

case section glues to the next section

3 and 4 glues together

use coloured insulation tape, a few wraps on the bit that goes into the next section and a few wraps around the bit it goes into ( this will mean its easy to I.D what goes where and it will stop the pole from going too far into the other bit )

then you will have a shorter section with the brush on it, do the same with tape ( but a different colour )

Tosh

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 07:13:47 pm »
Cheers for the advice, Guys,

But with reference to the 'short pole', I'll probably still stick to my Unger poles for much of my work (we'll see how this goes); and the unger short length of aluminium pole is great for ground floor work.

I do need a light brush and gooseneck though; cheers Jeff; I'll do some hunting round tomorrow.

karygate

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 07:19:15 pm »
i bought a 16m to do this and after trials and error now the brush starts at the 4th section. its a lot stronger and better . do 4 stories with it and if i want to do more will just by more end sections as they are all the same. my pole is a shimano forcemaster. i bought the light brush off ebay and i can easily rinse off the glass with it aswell.
gary

ftp

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 07:21:02 pm »
You could always borrow Squeakys brush - doesn't look like he will need it tomorrow. :D

Bobs Window Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 08:44:25 pm »
How do you get on with the hose flapping about?

I cant get my head around not having the hose inside......convince me please.

Bob
Why oh Why did he spell my name as bod & not bob on my wedding invites.

prestigeclean

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 08:44:48 pm »
save the aggravation and look on the emporium site they do a short section with a screw thread , it fits perfectly on the rt and has a screw thread to take a plastic angle regards alan

matt

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 08:47:26 pm »
How do you get on with the hose flapping about?

I cant get my head around not having the hose inside......convince me please.

Bob

its great i think, and you dont need such a long hose as it can go at any angle

Bobs Window Cleaning

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 09:18:43 pm »
Matt

When I use the slx, its so easy to extend. When you use the other type, surely it takes longer?

Bob

AuRavelling79

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 09:25:56 pm »
The male end of the section should be filled with expanding foam so push a ball of kitchen roll about 4/6" in the male end so that it is loosely wedged in place.

Then fill with expanding foam so that it slightly pushes out the end.

When dry cut the extra foam sticking out it off with a saw. This will help the ends to avoid being chipped.
It's a game of three halves!

pjulk

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 09:28:59 pm »
I think its about time i made one of these pole's.

So what fishing pole would i need i don't really want to spend loads as im sure i will break it.
But i want a lightweight pole approx 24ft in length to get over conservatories and what brush.
I do have a spare sill brush which i like but maybe this is to heavy for a fishing pole.

And what do you use for a screw thread at top.
The screw thread from a broom?
And how do you fix the screw thread on?

Any advice would be welcome.

And another thing i have never used a pole with the hose on the outside does it not get caught on everthing.

Bobs Window Cleaning

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 09:42:49 pm »
My thoughts too Paul.

Bob

Tosh

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 09:50:00 pm »
And another thing i have never used a pole with the hose on the outside does it not get caught on everthing.

I prefer it on the outside, and I have used an Ionics fibre glass pole with an inner pole hose, so I know the difference.

It does get caught on stuff, but only rarely; no problems honest.

It makes it easy to remove the brush head when you're in a tight area and you can clean windows just using the brush head; and I like the hose loose 'cos I can turn my water off and on by just nipping a handy peice of pole hose.

It doesn't flap about either; you just hold it with the pole; it's not difficult.

Bobs Window Cleaning

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 09:58:00 pm »
I love the idea of using only the brushhead :) I come across this problem weekly.

So what about extending the pole, surely it aint as easy as a telscopic pole.