Rob_Mac

Re: When there's more than one quote wanted; how do you win the job!
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 07:29:01 pm »
Tosh

Cheers for the chat this morning, it is always good to talk to others in the industry, see how they are getting on and what they are up to.

I always find that when you feel positive about yourself the work seems to come and find you. Nice move on the rest of the estate - good luck. Let us all know how you get on. I for one always like to hear good news stories, too much doom and gloom in the news.

Rob ;D ;D

Tosh

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2008, 05:27:30 pm »
Wahoo; I got the job; at a higher price than I originally wanted too.

I had such trouble getting hold of the lady I was dealing with in Head Office I mentally bumped up the figure twice (by £35 in total) on top of what I really wanted for it; I was cross because I'd left messages and they weren't returned, for about two-or-three weeks.

So when she eventually phoned me back, I quoted the higher figure, but tried to soften the blow by saying we'll provide a copy of our liability insurance, risk and method statement, we do a good job, I'm really a good looking funny bloke... etc.

She said she'd get back to me, but that was early last week and I really thought I hadn't got the job, but she just phoned saying I've got the job!

tacky

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2008, 10:27:15 pm »
well done tosh .

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2008, 10:38:51 pm »
Might try that one, "im a good looking bloke too"

Bobs Window Cleaning

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2008, 10:42:21 pm »
Well done tosh. Yer a credit to your area.

Bob
Why oh Why did he spell my name as bod & not bob on my wedding invites.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2008, 06:27:54 am »

I had such trouble getting hold of the lady I was dealing with in Head Office I mentally bumped up the figure twice (by £35 in total) on top of what I really wanted for it; I was cross because I'd left messages and they weren't returned, for about two-or-three weeks.

So when she eventually phoned me back, I quoted the higher figure, but tried to soften the blow by saying we'll provide a copy of our liability insurance, risk and method statement, we do a good job, I'm really a good looking funny bloke... etc.

She said she'd get back to me, but that was early last week and I really thought I hadn't got the job, but she just phoned saying I've got the job!

Excellent news - my fee for good advice is one pint of fine beer. So that's half a pint you owe me.  ;D
It's a game of three halves!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2008, 07:22:15 am »
Mine's a bag of chips and a pint of lemonade.

Tosh

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2008, 08:00:58 am »
Malc, no probs, mate.

Shiner, wouldn't you be better off with a light salad and a glass of water?  ;)

seandyer2003

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2008, 08:15:14 am »

took a long time for them to get back to you didnt it?!! You posted initially in september!

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2008, 08:21:52 am »
The longest I have had between quoting and getting the job was 18 months. Commercial clients often take a lot longer in the decision making process and often they get a quote in advance of needing the work doing. We have started quoting off of plans for several of the commercial firms  we do work for. The buildings are not even built yet, but they want an idea of the price from us, to integrate it into their management pricing package ready for marketing.

Tosh

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2008, 08:31:08 am »
took a long time for them to get back to you didnt it?!! You posted initially in september!

I read what Alex says in the above post, and that maybe true, but I know the lady I was dealing with in the Leeds head office went on holiday for two weeks and the week prior to that I couldn't get hold of her.

Then when she returned from holiday, she phoned me, I quoted, then she said she'd phone me back; and that took over a week.

I didn't want to clutter up my initial post with triv.

I think the latest delay could've been she was trying to get another quote in; but failed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS.  I once tried to get three quotes in for a brand new heating system in my house; new radiators, combi boiler and piping.  I phoned about five plumbers, told each I was asking for quotes and would be asking others.

One plumber refused to come, saying it wouldn't be worth it since I'd give the job to the cheapest quote.

In the end only one plumber turned up and he got the job (nearly a 5K job).

I think the same happens with window cleaners; so I always quote for jobs even if I'm told other window cleaners will be asked.