Tosh

We've been asked to quote for what sounds like a substantial commercial property, and if we get that, there's another one in the pipeline to follow.

We haven't seen the building yet, but know the area, and there's some tasty looking work round there (we also do a large(ish) commerical unit on the same site).  It also sounds like a big company, I was phoned from Head Office in Leeds, which is some way from South-East Wales.

However, the fly in the ointment is that they've also asked another window cleaning company to quote for the same property.

Now, apart from two occassions when other window cleaners didn't even turn up to quote, when-ever we're in this position we always lose on price.

We're capable of presenting a professional image; in a previous life I was a Staff Sergeant in a Warrant Officer Class II post; I know how to communicate in a business-like fashion; so it's always been our price which has let us down (at least I hope it was  ???).

Anyway, I am considering going in cheap, and when we get the job, 'doing it cheap' (if you know what I mean); since I know that's how the winners of these 'quoting wars' tend to get the jobs.

But has anyone any tips for winning contracts when you're up against other window cleaners for quotes?

matt

Re: When there's more than one quote wanted; how do you win the job!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 04:50:51 pm »
who will decide it, some1 local to you ( as in on-site ) or some1 in head office

you could mention you have a holiday home somewhere nice ( florida allways works well, best of both worlds, family holiday or golf holiday ) and the guy is allways welcome to use it if its empty, ive heard that works sometimes ( of course over time, you can allways say its taken when he asks and then you have sold it ;))

MJH

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 05:01:48 pm »
i have won a few by charming the best price they have been quoted, i have simply said what is the best price you have been quoted and taken it from there, you will be suprised how many companies will tell you, after all they are after the best price!!
I think its still a professional approach and has worked for me several times.

simon knight

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 05:25:16 pm »

Of course you could also offer him a £££ back-hander ;D...or kidnap his family?

Seriously though:

If you've always lost out on price then there's only one of two things:

1. You're over expensive
or
2.  Other w/cers need the work more and go in cheap cheap cheap.

Assuming you do a good job, present yourself in a good light and are not over expensive then frankly there's not much else you can do. You have your hourly rate (negotiable perhaps) and you must stick to it, even if it means losing contracts.

The alternative is to go in cheap and get into a Dutch Auction with the shoddy window cleaners. Do that and the result will be: You do the work, excellently but earn nothing like the job's worth.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 05:34:13 pm »
First - are they gonna pay?

Second - why are they looking?

Then talk to them about payment terms - do you really want to be dealing with a chain of estate agents or housebuilders just now?  ;D

Make an appointment to see the work with the guy/girl. As you go round jot down the figures in pencil and work out the price on £25 per hour. Write down the figure you want to do the job for but include an extra 10%.

Ask him what he had in mind as a price for the job - he may actually tell you but prolly not. When he says "you're the first to quote" or "I'd rather not discuss that at this stage" or "that's not very professional" show him your pad and say "well I don't want to waste either of our time so that's what I reckon as a ball park figure although I might need to do a bit of fine tuning"

Gauge his reaction - if favourable ask if it's worth putting in writing, if not knock off 10% and send it in. If you get it then spend a lot of time getting it spotless first time it will pay in the future, even if you earn less than £20/25 per hour.

Next time you'll get to know the high eyeball areas and those you can just scrim the odd mark away every other time.

By the fourth visit you'll be speeding up and earning £25 plus per man hour when you do everything and nearer £45 when you do the high traffic areas and a light rub elsewhere.
It's a game of three halves!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 05:35:18 pm »
We've been asked to quote for what sounds like a substantial commercial property, and if we get that, there's another one in the pipeline to follow.

We haven't seen the building yet, but know the area, and there's some tasty looking work round there (we also do a large(ish) commerical unit on the same site).  It also sounds like a big company, I was phoned from Head Office in Leeds, which is some way from South-East Wales.

However, the fly in the ointment is that they've also asked another window cleaning company to quote for the same property.

Now, apart from two occassions when other window cleaners didn't even turn up to quote, when-ever we're in this position we always lose on price.

We're capable of presenting a professional image; in a previous life I was a Staff Sergeant in a Warrant Officer Class II post; I know how to communicate in a business-like fashion; so it's always been our price which has let us down (at least I hope it was  ???).

Anyway, I am considering going in cheap, and when we get the job, 'doing it cheap' (if you know what I mean); since I know that's how the winners of these 'quoting wars' tend to get the jobs.

But has anyone any tips for winning contracts when you're up against other window cleaners for quotes?

This won't help you get the job.  In fact it may not be what you want to hear.
I say, quote the job that you see WITHOUT GIVING REGARD TO OTHER WORK THAT MAY FOLLOW.
Sometimes they allude to other work in order to drive the price down when, in reality, the other work does not exist.  Of course, you can play the same game by alluding to providing a discount once the other work becomes available.

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 06:29:15 pm »
Big companies are driven by price and nothing else.  Okay they won't generally deal with a company that isn't legit, but if you are against other bigger companies that have a staff of window cleaners then winning this might not be worthwhile.  When work goes out for tender the result is that the work 9 times out of 10 will be worth less than average domestic work.  You could always quote low and do a slap dash job, just making sure certain windows are perfect (managers office, entrance way) but would you be happy doing that.

Simon.

Tosh

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 06:33:47 pm »
Malc,

It 's a factory unit in an industrial estate that I'm about to quote for.

I clean one of the units there already and it's a lovely job.  £128 every-three-months for what amounts to two-hours-work; though we string it out longer, since we're still too soft-hearted to turn up at 8.00 am and hand in our invoice for £128 at 10.00 am!

Anyway,  I do the outsides, Wor Lass does the ground floor insides, then we disapear and clean other stuff; have a nice lunch in Witherspoons; then return in the afternoon and we both clean the insides of the upstairs which takes about half-an-hour.

I have thought about just cleaning as quick as we can and posting them an invoice; so they don't know how long it takes us to clean; but the way we do it works.

I've a small hand-full of jobs like this; and I'd like to increase their number!

--------------------------------------

And Shiner,

Nice tip; I've lots to think about; but I believe the lady I've been dealing with doesn't really know how window cleaners work; but I shall take that into consideration; thank you.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 06:36:30 pm »
Tosh

I always quote what I see (as mentioned), any work you get as an addition, in the future, will be a bonus.

Again you have enough experience of what you expect to achieve as far as a day rate. Do you need to compromise on the price just because you might get more work in the future.

I think that if you have a sign written van, that is clean,  turn up in a clean uniform, are pleasant and professional, can hold your own in a conversation ( with your background there shouldn't be any problem there) and offer a flexible quote, then there is no reason why you shouldn't walk away with the work.

Flexible quotes are tiered and I like to use them because if the full price is too much you haven't closed the door by only putting in one, non flexible, price.

Give them multiple quotes in one, break it down so they have somewhere to go with it.

If you want to give me a call and have a chat I will be happy to run you through how we operate. 07919 425664

I have multiple price structures in place, for all the different services on offer and they are all at the level you are looking at.

Don't drop your standards and never offer a half clean or sooner or later you will get the big one but someone like me will come along and have reason to edge you out of the works.

Give the client no reason to fault your end product, give them the best service they have ever had, for their money.

Good luck

Rob ;D

NWH

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 06:37:39 pm »
I do quiet a lot like that Tosh and i post the invoice lol,i`d cringe handing over an invoice.

Tosh

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 06:52:58 pm »
You could always quote low and do a slap dash job, just making sure certain windows are perfect (managers office, entrance way) but would you be happy doing that.

Simon.

Yeh; course we would! ;D   It's only new window cleaners, or those with OCD (like Wor Lass!??! >:() that spend ages per window to do a perfect job.

I've been window cleaning long enough to know the score, though I've seen some successful window cleaners 'flamed' on this site for educating us 'noobs' on how it all works and just doing the minimum to hold the contract.

----------------------------------

And after typing all that stuff above I've just read Rob's post and now feel a bit guilty.  I'm not a cowboy really.

Rob, can I give you a call tomorrow?  Maybe not!  I'm too shy too, but I've wrote down your number just in case, but I would advise you to delete it now; you can amend your post.  Roger (Squeaky) went through a period when some idiot was phoning him up at stupid hours; and just being stupid!

---------------------------------------------

I'm off to quote for it tomorrow morning; I've organised a time with the bloke in charge of the building (who sounded like he was really bored with me; even though I did my bestest telephone voice); I'll let you know how I got on!

Rob_Mac

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 06:56:08 pm »
Tosh

Give me a ring in the morning. Theres nothing about the number that they cannot get off the website and I don't bite.

Rob ;D

Tosh

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 07:20:40 pm »
Tosh

Give me a ring in the morning.

Rob ;D

Rob,

I will do; about 8.30 am if that's suitable for you?

Unless, of course,  I turn all girly and shy, which is a possibility!

It's easy to be all brash behind a keyboard, but 'person-to-person' - is a lot more awkward, but yes, I'll phone you for your advice on multiple pricing structures.

Regards,

Tosh.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 07:22:33 pm »
No problems

I will be in the office for that time.

Rob ;D

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 07:36:25 pm »
TBH seeing as it is a factory I'd say that it qualifies for a slap dash job then and as low a price as your happy to go to, to secure the job.  On larger commercial work like this I'm happy to dash it out fast as they're really not going to want to pay for perfect windows.  Just make sure that certain key windows and doors are perfect.

I still reckon it would be hard to beat a team on price though, but you never know you might only be up against another sole trader.

Simon

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 10:54:14 pm »
I'd quote my hourly/job rate, wouldn't bother underpricing with a full round. If I got it, that's fine, if not, no loss as never had it in the first place.

Tosh

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 05:21:18 pm »
Rob,

It was interesting chatting with you this morning; thanks.

I went to quote for this place this morning; it's big, but not as big as it was made out to be; but a nice job; no external access issues.  It's been taken over by an expanding company who plan to expand into the neighboring unit; so the job size could double.

And not only that - believe it or not - I walked round the rest of the business estate to write down the names of the companies, so that I could phone-canvass them and I bumped into an old neighbor who works in one of those factory buildings; she said they didn't have a window cleaner and gave me the name and number of her boss; and also gave me the name of another neihboring company owner (though that business looked like their windows were clean).

Anyway, I believe the 'other window cleaners' are meant to quote also for the factory unit, so I'm not going to phone head office (in Leeds) till Monday with my quote, since I hope to give mine in after they've given theirs in.

MJH

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 05:26:55 pm »
Head office in Leeds, interesting- i might clean it.

Tosh

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 05:47:24 pm »

The initials of the business is GT; I'm not going to post the name of the business up; it's a small world.

MJH

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 05:50:29 pm »

The initials of the business is GT; I'm not going to post the name of the business up; it's a small world.

Wise, doen't ring a bell, we have some large head offices here, DWP, NHS, ASDA to name a few.