WCE

Re: The Credit Crunch Must Be Squeezing...
« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2008, 08:48:11 pm »
The point is how many as a percentage of your window cleaning round, have actually cancelled or adjusted like you mentioned because of the current talk/news of the day or economic climate.

That’s what you should be looking at as this directly affects your business all the rest is just rubbish, scare mongering nonsense.

So let’s see the percentage posted on here to give everyone a true picture of the current times. I expect it to be in single figures for the majority.

Mine is zero % and have been recently getting some big jobs.

;D ;D
To answer your question Ewan, I think it depends on what you do. I have in the past made good money from build cleans with all the big names but I would say that in the last 4-5 months I have seen an 80% decrease in this work. If this was all I did than I would be in trouble - people are just not buying new builds. However commercial/domestic - Better than ever so no effect. However although business in these areas is booming I am no better off! If the construction Industry hadn't fell to bits then I would be on for a record year however despite all the new work all I've really done in effect is replace the build cleans with this new work. So when I had been planning to build my business further, despite the effort I have actually in effect stood still - no worse off no better. 
WCE- For Windows that shine everytime!

mark dew

« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2008, 11:13:37 pm »
haha
funny thread this one. Doors open and others close all of the time, whatever the scenario.
Things are more expensive now. There is no argument there. I have lost 2 jobs in the last few months. But gained much more.
The last 2 months has seen my income increase by a one and two hundred quid respectively.
For many people, getting their windows cleaned once a month is as definite as getting the newspaper delivered.
I think this credit crunch will be a fantatstic opportunity for many to streamline our business. As long as we are living within our means it won't adversely affect us.
The biggest trouble i find with wc is that it is easy to find a comfort zone and to stick within it. For the ones who are prepared to step out and invest in right equipment, there will always be plenty of opportunities.
The only people i see who are at risk of losing out work wise, are the people who are too dependant on 1 source of income.
For the rest of us, as long as we keep moving it will be happy days. ;D

Paul Coleman

« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2008, 11:37:31 pm »
This is the time when millionaires and billionaires are going to be made
buying property at  cheaper prices and selling when the prices rise again as they always have done.

This has been the busiest window and gutter cleaning month we have had for years - probably because people have decided not to sell but to make good the property they are in.
I heard the same from a fencing contractor who has never been as busy!

The media only reports on negatives never on positives - the newspapers and news reports sell us fear of what might/could happen. Its just got worse and worse creating a  fear of terrorism,global warming,inflation,immigration

Glyn.  You forgot the bird flu   :)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2008, 11:39:16 pm »

I have had a record month every month for the last 6 months.

Where is this doom and gloom  ?

If I had shifted my rear and earned another £20, I would have had another record month in July.  As it was, it turned out to be my second best ever.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2008, 11:45:09 pm »
Im no economist but surely moderate inflation, well controled by central banks and interest rate changes, and consistant gentle growth in gdp and a surplus of exports over imports is economic utopia.

You can play semantics but the facts are that if I need cash tomorrow my nett worth has been deminished in both actual terms and theoretical terms and my ability to borrow has been harmed.

Translation: cash is king
 ;D

Paradoxically, such a utopia can be a problem in its own right.  This is because such a stable economy will attract investment and will eventually overheat which, human nature being what it is, causes inflation..  The tinkering to prevent this overheating  has to become greater and greater over time until the only method left is to allow a recession to occur.  There's nothing new about this scenario.  I'm no bible basher (far from it) but I believe there is a parable about 7 fat cows and 7 thin cows that (according to some) emulates economic cycles.

geefree

« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2008, 12:27:30 am »
anyway , not had any cancellations and work still coming in.... luxury or not.... most people still want windows cleaning... most respectable people will always value an essential service ( because they dont want to do it themselves)... wether we are in a "credit crunch"  or not ..( what an absurd saying for a near recession)...

would you clean a smelly wheelie bin?

would you clean your conservatory roof?

would you , in fact clean all your windows ? ... and all to a satisfactoy standard as your missus would want... and very regular...????

no of course not... these jobs are left to others, for a very small fee....

chin up lads.....

we are needed! and always will be.

David Slater

« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2008, 02:02:55 am »
haha
funny thread this one. Doors open and others close all of the time, whatever the scenario.
Things are more expensive now. There is no argument there. I have lost 2 jobs in the last few months. But gained much more.
The last 2 months has seen my income increase by a one and two hundred quid respectively.
For many people, getting their windows cleaned once a month is as definite as getting the newspaper delivered.
I think this credit crunch will be a fantatstic opportunity for many to streamline our business. As long as we are living within our means it won't adversely affect us.
The biggest trouble i find with wc is that it is easy to find a comfort zone and to stick within it. For the ones who are prepared to step out and invest in right equipment, there will always be plenty of opportunities.
The only people i see who are at risk of losing out work wise, are the people who are too dependant on 1 source of income.
For the rest of us, as long as we keep moving it will be happy days. ;D

Mark,

I feel you've hit the nail right on the head!

"I think this credit crunch will be a fantatstic opportunity for many to streamline our business. As long as we are living within our means it won't adversely affect us.
The biggest trouble i find with wc is that it is easy to find a comfort zone and to stick within it."

Yes, I feel there are some very challenging times ahead and looking to previous years isnt necessarily going to be the best answer. We are entering a new pardigm and that can be a hard adjustment.

Ewan, you seem to be talking in riddles my friend.

You intimate you know the problem and possibly the answer but dont put forward what that may be?

I'd very much like to hear your views on what you think the 'real issue' actually is?

Pat Purcell

« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2008, 02:37:57 am »
Interesting discussion, I have to say I agree and disagree with a lot said but , as Dave St Ives said buying a house thats now down in value has not caused that wealth to vanish, but inflation can make you less wealthy unless your prices rise with inflation or your savings are pegged to inflation rates
This lady has a lot to say about how we are less well off than our parents and if you can sit thru it its worth watching although its difficult to stay awake
h ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akVL7QY0S8A
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

bluez

« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2008, 12:59:21 pm »
Im no economist but surely moderate inflation, well controled by central banks and interest rate changes, and consistant gentle growth in gdp and a surplus of exports over imports is economic utopia.

You can play semantics but the facts are that if I need cash tomorrow my nett worth has been deminished in both actual terms and theoretical terms and my ability to borrow has been harmed.

Translation: cash is king
 ;D

Paradoxically, such a utopia can be a problem in its own right.  This is because such a stable economy will attract investment and will eventually overheat which, human nature being what it is, causes inflation..  The tinkering to prevent this overheating  has to become greater and greater over time until the only method left is to allow a recession to occur.  There's nothing new about this scenario.  I'm no bible basher (far from it) but I believe there is a parable about 7 fat cows and 7 thin cows that (according to some) emulates economic cycles.

Good point the shiner, if we lived in a world where utopia was the norm we would need another word for a better place than utopia ;D

There is neither a wrong or a right in most of the points in this thread just a different interpretation of what constitutes real wealth and what outside influences affect the value of this wealth.

As someone said (was it churchill) let me live in interesting times. All times of change either good or bad change, create opportunity if we are smart enough to recreate our selves to exploit them.
hi

Tosh

« Reply #109 on: August 07, 2008, 06:16:06 pm »
Right at this very moment a group of slanty eyed rascals are sat around on great sack fulls of banknotes eating egg foo yung  shouting greater fool are you Ewan!!!

You do realise I have slanty-eyes don't you?  Although I'm a mongrel, I do have a strong Oriental appearance (and a Geordie accent); no kidding.

Unfortunately I'm not sat round sack fulls of banknotes; though I quite like egg foo yung.