Tosh

Is the credit crunch affecting your business?
« on: July 17, 2008, 07:39:03 pm »
I had about 15 new - some quality - customers in April and May, but despite leafletting I've had very little since June.

I've also increased my prices for some under-priced customers (nothing major; £8.50 to £10 sort of stuff) with no resistance what-so-ever.  They're all fine with it.

I've also had two long term customers decline my services further, saying things are tight, and another who told me that they were struggling 'cos the bank had reduced his £1.5K over-draft to £1K at short notice and he's had a whole load of bounced bills and bank charges.

I suggested that he goes from £13 a month, onto every-other-month at £15 and he's happy with that.

So, apart from the lack of new custom, I don't notice much 'credit crunch' wise from my current customers.

Do you see any change?

Also, for those older guys, how did previous recessions affect your business?

pjulk

Re: Is the credit crunch affecting your business?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 08:13:29 pm »
No change for me picking up good work all the time.

I did window cleaning in the 80's recession and no affect.

Window cleaning is virtually recession proof

Feen

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 08:18:54 pm »
I've had one customer (£5) say she was struggling and so dropped me. However, I'd think that it takes a little time for things to filter through the system. People will feel the credit crunch, but maybe they're not feeling it yet. Ask this question again in 6 months ;D
Feen

Pj

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 08:21:13 pm »
Not been affected at all yet, but with the overwhelming news reports concerning just about every angle of our modern lifestyle - it's not a case of if, it's when we get hit.

I've been through a couple of recessions, but this is the first time it has been described as global!

It will strike hard, we just don't know how soon.  To ignore all the signs is to bury your head in the sand

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 08:38:52 pm »
Definately.

Of the last 10 houses I've picked up I'd say only only about 3 or 4 wanted every month.

Used to be 9.5 out of 10 I reckon.
When I started with Ian 11 years ago we only had about half a dozen 8-weekers out of hundreds.

paulscotney

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 08:49:43 pm »
No problem here. even picked up my first council house today.

Gordon Saunders

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 08:54:18 pm »
in a word no
 6 new jobs this week (£80)
and no cancellations either.havent lost a customer for 3 weeks.

maybe i am lucky but i like to think i have built a good rapport with my customers and offer good service and value for money
  I guess if you are charging silly money things might be different .

G

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 09:08:34 pm »
Overall we should have n problems, because as people settle in their existing properties they will naturally spend more on their current property, rather than trying to go up the property ladder.....all is safe boys...for now!!! Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

ftp

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 09:11:41 pm »
A few here, but wait till they get their heating bills next year.

NWH

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 09:12:38 pm »
Definately.

Of the last 10 houses I've picked up I'd say only only about 3 or 4 wanted every month.

Used to be 9.5 out of 10 I reckon.
When I started with Ian 11 years ago we only had about half a dozen 8-weekers out of hundreds.

Your first mistake is trying to get domestic on a monthly basis,if you want top paying work especially domestic forget monthly.6-8 weekly is the way to go,price high and do them less often.

Ian Rochester

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 09:13:47 pm »
We've just lost a couple of customers who rang to say their husbands (in the building trade) had been made redundant and so they would like to stop having their windows being cleaned until they were sorted again.  

Fair point, priorities change, but overall we are still picking up new jobs most days.

NWH

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 09:14:00 pm »
A few here, but wait till they get their heating bills next year.
On tonights news they said heating bills are going up by 70%. :o :o :o

billy08

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 09:26:04 pm »
Not lost any,gaining a few, but only at the right price.

I only take on work at 8 weeks now,and I think you definately get a better price at this interval,

mr merson

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 09:27:43 pm »
I am coining it in , never had it so good !  I am buying some new golf clubs soon , and you will see me on the 18th with a big cheesy smurk on my face  ;D

paulscotney

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 09:36:22 pm »
Your first mistake is trying to get domestic on a monthly basis,if you want top paying work especially domestic forget monthly.6-8 weekly is the way to go,price high and do them less often........................................................................................................................

I think you are right there NWH. In fact I know you are.........

Tosh

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 09:37:25 pm »
I am coining it in , never had it so good !  I am buying some new golf clubs soon , and you will see me on the 18th with a big cheesy smurk on my face  ;D
try spending some on a dictonary,whats a smurk

Hey,

This isn't a spelling and grammar forum!

You know he means smirk!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 09:40:34 pm »
try spending some on a dictonary,whats a smurk

Err .... MartinSadie ... what's a dictonary? 

A dictionary without the "sh"?  ;D ;D ;D

10.03pm Modified to add:-

Too late to modify it now MartinSadie! Tosh and I have captured your original faux pas for posterity!
It's a game of three halves!

mr merson

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 10:16:20 pm »
LOL

mr merson

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 10:19:51 pm »
I aplogyse for my pore spelin , I never went to skool !  I wish i was proper educayted like wot you is  ???

ok cleaning

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 10:39:03 pm »
non at all bussines as usuall