Tosh

When you quote for a property, particularly residential, and you stick a nice (but not OTT) price in; do you have any tactics for not making them feel cornered into having you; feeling a bit 'ripped off' by your price, but go with you anyway purely because they think:

a.  You won't rob them.

b.  You do a good job (you look the part).

c.   They can't get anyone else whose cheaper who fulfills a and b (above).

I'm basically trying to find out if you have any techniques for leaving a new customer with that 'nice-warm-fluffy-feeling' that they're forking out for a good service.

What line do you take to alleviate any fears they may have about being over charged?

(I only ask because I'm having a fair few car repairs done and I never know if I'm being 'done', but the garage I use is good at stopping me worrying that I'm getting ripped off (even if I am).   I'm also sticking in some good prices for new work too ;D)

Rob_Mac

Tosh

I always used - " If you're not completely satisfied - don't pay"

Rob ;D

brett walker

All i think you can do is assure them that you will do an excellent job, be friendly curtious and polite i think it helps if you go in uniform and signwritten van.  Give them a bit of chit chat tell them you do the frames and doors as standard in with the price then they think theyre getting something for nothing they like that, asure them you are fully insured and honest and reliable if youve been recomended to them youve already got one foot in the door.

I do all of these things and i am packed out with work

hope this helps

Brett

Nathanael Jones

I find that telling them I'm booked solid for the next week and a half at least, then giving them my card  telling them to think about it and call me,.....and starting to walk away,..... normally does the trick. As soon as my back is turned and I've taken 2 or 3 steps they normally call me back and agree to my price.
Just act like you don't need it, and you're doing them a favour (Not in a looking down your nose kinda way!), and 9 times out of 10 you'll get a result with domestic work.

Commercial is a different game all together,... still trying to figure that one out!

I find that telling them I'm booked solid for the next week and a half at least, then giving them my card  telling them to think about it and call me,.....and starting to walk away,..... normally does the trick. As soon as my back is turned and I've taken 2 or 3 steps they normally call me back and agree to my price.
Just act like you don't need it, and you're doing them a favour (Not in a looking down your nose kinda way!), and 9 times out of 10 you'll get a result with domestic work.

Commercial is a different game all together,... still trying to figure that one out!

I do that, I did it the other day...
Woman stops me asks for card
Next day (after phone call) I go and give her a quote!
she um and ahs  ;)
I said I won't of course be able to fit you in until I am back in this area (month)  ::)
give me a call...wait...Oh I think I'll have them done!  ;D
Three days later (Sunday evening) Phone Message... "We won't need you after-all
 husband's going to do them !"  >:(

No worries... Monday evening I return call and confirm "Total cancellation or just this month?"
TOTAL,  8)
My reply
"Ok thanks for your call and remember if you should change your mind I am only a phone call away..."  ;)

Phone call wed please do my windows!  ;D  ;D  ;D

mr D

ask a plummer what it is they say that always makes people think there being riped off then do the total oppersit ;D

i hate plummers >:(

good tip is name/number drop. say your qouting for number 46 long lane. tell them you do a few in the street like number 29 and 7 long lane. they then think 'well if 29 and 7 have him he must be good and honest'

d s windowcleaning

Tosh

I always used - " If you're not completely satisfied - don't pay"

Rob ;D
best way if they are not happy dont pay  ;D hi midas
where theres muck theres money

mark dew

i do things back to front i think. I give them the price and just wait for the answer, saying nothing. If they say no, i only say no problem and walk away.
It's only if they agree do i start pulling out 'your windows have been cleaned......please post cheque to blah blah, chit. I then explain i guarantee my work etc and i will come back later on just to check they have come up as i hoped. .
I wish had a better spiel but i give a fair price and just hope for the best.
So i think my answer is that i do nothing at all until they are in the bag.

supernova77

When I quote I say:

"So, for ALL the windows - which includes frames and sills on a house this size..."

Then I pause and say "A lot of window cleaners don't clean the frames and sills..." :)

Then another pause, and say "So, for a house this size... For ALL windows, frames and sills the cost is £xx".

I find that padding the waffle out when quoting seems to work...

Andy

When I quote I say:

"So, for ALL the windows - which includes frames and sills on a house this size..."

Then I pause and say "A lot of window cleaners don't clean the frames and sills..." :)

Then another pause, and say "So, for a house this size... For ALL windows, frames and sills the cost is £xx".

I find that padding the waffle out when quoting seems to work...

Andy

Sounds exactly like my friend Jason Restal... almost word for word  ;D

[GQC] Tim

One of the best things you can do is look people in the eyes, with a warm friendly smile, and full of confidence.

£115, 2,5hrs work. First clean took me 3hrs and 50min, but I did the second clean, and I flew round the house, so much easier when you know your way around the house, even if it's traditional. Thing is, I always price for first cleans, when I get faster, I'm not going to adjust the price, because they are already fine with the price.

Well, they can afford it, 20 horses, big farmhouse with humongous art studio, on 3 sides surrounded by hills, which they own as well. No problems there! :)

I'm happy, they are over the moon. :)

dai

Since I have other customers in the area, I could do them for £xx..

Two things going for you with this one.
1] Others in the area are happy with your price,
2] you sound like you are actually charging them less than normal because you are already in the area.

I just explain what we do and the extras they get then say the price and say again what we do one thing is the quoted price is final there is no knocking me down. If they try all I say is this is the price I charge I could have said higher for you to knock me down but I prefer to be upfront and honest with my customers (seems to work aswell)
I always price a house one its own and never give a discount because I clean next door, if next door cancels or moves I would have shot myself in the foot, and as I need both feet I tend not to do it. ;)

Ian

Wrekin C S

I do that, I did it the other day...
Woman stops me asks for card
Next day (after phone call) I go and give her a quote!
she um and ahs  ;)
I said I won't of course be able to fit you in until I am back in this area (month)  ::)
give me a call...wait...Oh I think I'll have them done!  ;D
Three days later (Sunday evening) Phone Message... "We won't need you after-all
 husband's going to do them !"  >:(

No worries... Monday evening I return call and confirm "Total cancellation or just this month?"
TOTAL,  8)
My reply
"Ok thanks for your call and remember if you should change your mind I am only a phone call away..."  ;)

Phone call wed please do my windows!  ;D  ;D  ;D

I find that a lot husband says he'll do em and never does! So wifey gets cob on and phones me up...

I just explain what we do and the extras they get then say the price and say again what we do one thing is the quoted price is final there is no knocking me down. If they try all I say is this is the price I charge I could have said higher for you to knock me down but I prefer to be upfront and honest with my customers (seems to work aswell)
I always price a house one its own and never give a discount because I clean next door, if next door cancels or moves I would have shot myself in the foot, and as I need both feet I tend not to do it. ;)

Ian

I like the policy at the end, one I am going to adopt today!  ;)

Yesterday it happened just like that... lost original customer (mortgage payments/cutbacks)  ::)
Neighbour (new customer) knocked me for a fiver (from £25 to £20) I lost two customers that morning in one street and I didn't want to make it three!

Sad I know!   :-[

alanwilson

I find it best not to laugh like a hyena when they accept a quote - it really is offputting.

running away and screaming "WOOOHOOO!!" doesn't do you any favours either.
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

NWH

LOL Or yeeeeessss i can book my next holiday now,i find that dosen`t go down to well. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tosh

I find it best not to laugh like a hyena when they accept a quote - it really is offputting.

running away and screaming "WOOOHOOO!!" doesn't do you any favours either.

;D  That made me smile.

However, I phoned a £40 customer this evening; I do her every-other-month; it's a bed and breakfast place, not big, takes Wor Lass and I about 30 minutes to clean it, and it's out in the sticks.

She said, "How much is it again?"

Me, "Forty pounds; same as last time".

Her, "That's a hell'uv a lot of money!"

Me, "SJ, you've got a hell'uv a lot of glass!"  (But it's stacked close to together, a big conservatory (easy with the WFP)).

Her, "Well it never cost anything like that before; [sigh]; okay never mind, see you Tuesday".

I suspect her last window cleaner underpriced and never returned, but I sense that I'm not giving her the warm fuzzy feeling I'd like to (no sexual innuendo intended).

mark dew

;D  That made me smile.

However, I phoned a £40 customer this evening; I do her every-other-month; it's a bed and breakfast place, not big, takes Wor Lass and I about 30 minutes to clean it, and it's out in the sticks.

She said, "How much is it again?"

Me, "Forty pounds; same as last time".

Her, "That's a hell'uv a lot of money!"

Me, "SJ, you've got a hell'uv a lot of glass!"  (But it's stacked close to together, a big conservatory (easy with the WFP)).

Her, "Well it never cost anything like that before; [sigh]; okay never mind, see you Tuesday".

I suspect her last window cleaner underpriced and never returned, but I sense that I'm not giving her the warm fuzzy feeling I'd like to (no sexual innuendo intended).

I've had quite a bit of that the last few months. I could do with keeping and not losing customers but i can't help resenting the innuendos about how quick it takes for this much money.
I keep thinking i am going to lose some custom because i'm much quicker than before but i'd rather lose and search for more that to spend a second longer on the job than i need to.