Tosh

Last week I was asked to quote for an industrial unit; just a one off with a possibility of a regular clean in the future.

The facilities manager said the place needed cleaning by Friday (tomorrow) 'cos they've got a new manager arriving on Monday.

I said 'no probs', I'll see you on Wednesday or Thursday (leaving them almost no time to arrange another window cleaner, should they think I'm too expensive (which I'm not compared to some on this forum).

So I turned up to quote; counted 64 windows (all single pane; simple; almost no access issues either (apart from a few desks to clamber over)) and priced the job at £1 per window; and then doubled the quote since they want insides done too; so the price was £128.

I explained to the facilities manager that because I was pricing it at a 'one-off', I'd double the price to £256, but if they took me on as a regular window cleaner and was called back within 3 months; they'd get their next clean done for free.

After he had a chat with his boss, I've now been taken on at every-other-month for £128! 

It's a nice job.

So the price was £128 for this clean; not double.

So my lessons learnt are:

1.   It's worth quoting for one-off cleans (I normally don't).

2.   Either quote a really high price with a caveat saying they get their next clean for free if they call back before a certain time frame; but only if they want a regular window cleaner.

3.  Leave it till the last minute (when there's a dead-line) so they can't call in other quotes!

What tips have you got?

sunshine windows

Doing it that way you could be going back to do your next clean for free only to be dropped straight afterwards.

I'd put a clause in somewhere saying that they have to use you for X amount of cleans after your free return visit.

Regards,
Lance
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

Doing it that way you could be going back to do your next clean for free only to be dropped straight afterwards.

I'd put a clause in somewhere saying that they have to use you for X amount of cleans after your free return visit.

Regards,
Lance
if it is a sign-up for reg clean, I would say 4th clean is free  ;)

Tosh

I guess there's always an element of trust involved in verbal agreements; and it would have to be some 'hard nosed' person to manipulate you in such a manner; though it happens; but only rarely.

There's not such a thing as a legally binding window cleaning contract; not as far as I know anyway.

matt

good work tosh

AuRavelling79

good work tosh

Yup - very good indeed - it's wot I call "nishtive" - well done matey and I can see situations where I might well use that.

Oh yeah, one to share - not my idea but I got it here on the forum. Have a price list printed out showing your minimum charge so when pricing up small jobs you can stick it under their nose while saying my min charge is £xxx.
It's a game of three halves!

NWH

If you have only priced it at £1 a window on the first clean even if you get the job your still losing out,on the first clean you should charge more so by giving him a clean your losing £128.I wouldn`t give anyone £128 to get the job which in effect is what your doing.

alanwilson

hahahaha tosh has worked it out!  Tosh thats what we have always done except its the 3rd clean free.  What you will probably find is that they become used to having the windows cleaned and it no longer becomes an issue of debate - they just get them done.

However we do give discount for staying with us.  Its not all about big prices (as some on this forum would have you believe) its as much about being competitive, having regular decent paying work and providing a very professional service.  By doing this you can build a business much more successfully, I know I have, all our prices are reasonable, they translate to around £25ph per man.  We do a day per week of inside cleans and the rest outside.  It means we very seldom lose a days work.

So my advice is to not do the insides while it is dry but instead the next wet day - as long as there is a wet day forecast soon for you and/or you have everything else finished.

Nice one mate, you've got a good attitude to work and I'd go as far as to say that would also be reflected by your demeanor with customers and prospective customers.
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

xxmattyxx

hahahaha tosh has worked it out!  Tosh thats what we have always done except its the 3rd clean free.  What you will probably find is that they become used to having the windows cleaned and it no longer becomes an issue of debate - they just get them done.

However we do give discount for staying with us.  Its not all about big prices (as some on this forum would have you believe) its as much about being competitive, having regular decent paying work and providing a very professional service.  By doing this you can build a business much more successfully, I know I have, all our prices are reasonable, they translate to around £25ph per man.  We do a day per week of inside cleans and the rest outside.  It means we very seldom lose a days work.

So my advice is to not do the insides while it is dry but instead the next wet day - as long as there is a wet day forecast soon for you and/or you have everything else finished.

Nice one mate, you've got a good attitude to work and I'd go as far as to say that would also be reflected by your demeanor with customers and prospective customers.

What a nice post, that was really nice to read.

alanwilson

awwww shucks!! ;D ;) :D

GROUP HUG!!

geefree

i have always thought there are a lot of good business minded guys on this site who sit back and watch, read.. etc whilst a lot of us try all sorts of ways of getting work.

These are the men who are successful, know just how its done.

yes i agree , a very refreshing , honest post .

and maybe for the first time , for me anyway. is a little insight of how to gain a certain amount of commercial work, a subject normally kept very close to the chest.

nice work Tosh, i liked what you did, even though it cost you £128 initially,

by the end of the year it will pay for your spending money on your hols. ;D ;)

good work.

alanwilson

guys I don't know what to say - thanks for the kind comments, they've made my day!

I wasn't trying to be super nice or anything, just wanted to say it how I feel it is.

Matt B - cheers mate, I've now shown the boss your post, brownie points  ;)

Gazza - thanks as well mate, thats what it is, a little insight - because thats all I know (well a few other bits and bobs but thats for another time).

Nathanael Jones

This is good reading,... any more tips that ppl want to share????  ;D ;D ;D

s.hughes

Nice one but I never thought off putting it over like that Tosh. However I was thinking that they will get you back for the 2nd clean giving them time to get other quotes and then dropping you. From the fedback I think it would be good to do the free clean on the 3rd or 4th clean.
Thanks for sharing that with us

Steve

Nathanael Jones

Nice one but I never thought off putting it over like that Tosh. However I was thinking that they will get you back for the 2nd clean giving them time to get other quotes and then dropping you. From the fedback I think it would be good to do the free clean on the 3rd or 4th clean.
Thanks for sharing that with us

Steve
But its not really a free clean is it? Tosh was already paid for it the first time round,.. only they don't know that!!!

geefree

I thought he did all the windows at £128 .... £1 per  window in and out.... and offered a free clean...... and the doubled up price , was if he got it as a one off .. am i reading it wrong, ?    if you say they have paid for the "free clean" but dont know it.

cheers

Nathanael Jones

I thought he did all the windows at £128 .... £1 per  window in and out.... and offered a free clean...... and the doubled up price , was if he got it as a one off .. am i reading it wrong, ?    if you say they have paid for the "free clean" but dont know it.

cheers

You're right,.. I read it too quick!!!

Tosh

Just to clarify:

If the job was to be regular then I'd charge £128.

But if the job was a one off (with a possibility of being regular once the new boss arrived) then I'd charge double the price (£256), but if they contacted me within three months; then the next clean would be 'free'.

After some umming and arring; they've taken me on as a regular clean at £128 per clean.

It's a nice job and will take Wor Lass 'n' I about 3 hours on the next clean (first clean took about 4 hours; but it was dirty).  She's only 5' 1" tall, really fussy; not that fast (needs A Frames to clean cat flaps in doors), and it works out as good money for us.

This is good reading,... any more tips that ppl want to share???? ;D ;D ;D

I like to hear them too!