Tosh

This isn't hard cheese; I'm a lucky bloke; I have a good life and have a lot to be thankful for; and I do understand that when someone reaches a milestone, such as £200 in-a-day for the first time they're pretty chuffed, don't want to tell their mates, so come on here and tell us.

I've probably done similar, but it can get a bit silly and out-of-hand.

Not only that, I don't think it's good for our trade, advertising earnings that could be true - or false - to all and sundry.

There's many new arrivals to the UK who've got a good grasp of the English language, use the internet, keen to make money and would work just as hard, if not harder and be just as professional; for much less than what some of you are charging.

So I reckon posting earnings - matter-of-factly - should be discouraged on the forum.

Just my thoughts; though I do like the 'how much should I charge for this', or 'I've just hit a new milestone' post.

AuRavelling79

Probably wise, Tosh. I consider myself chastised.

It's a game of three halves!

telboy

Good advice Tosh :-X

mick hay

Here here, well said that man!!

pingu

So it is our responsibility to 'quosh' threads when they get to this point of mine is bigger than yours....Like Tosh says we are all to some degree guilty (yes myself included)...

Dave.

matt

i love em i do ;)

allways good for a laugh

im working all my jobs around so i can get all the best paid jobs done in 1 day, it'll be end of may i think, my only fall down is i like to be home for my daughters bed time at 7.30 - 45
But i think if i start my comercial at 4.30 and then go and do my better paid doemstic, then off to do some more commercail after 5, i should have a bumper day ;) i worked it out and its a nice little number

[GQC] Tim

And another one was necessary? lol  ;D

Matt, i've checked and i'm pretty sure it's raining that day! ;)

matt

Matt, i've checked and i'm pretty sure it's raining that day! ;)

looks likea  day off then ;) the idea was good ;)

Paul Coleman

This isn't hard cheese; I'm a lucky bloke; I have a good life and have a lot to be thankful for; and I do understand that when someone reaches a milestone, such as £200 in-a-day for the first time they're pretty chuffed, don't want to tell their mates, so come on here and tell us.

I've probably done similar, but it can get a bit silly and out-of-hand.

Not only that, I don't think it's good for our trade, advertising earnings that could be true - or false - to all and sundry.

There's many new arrivals to the UK who've got a good grasp of the English language, use the internet, keen to make money and would work just as hard, if not harder and be just as professional; for much less than what some of you are charging.

So I reckon posting earnings - matter-of-factly - should be discouraged on the forum.

Just my thoughts; though I do like the 'how much should I charge for this', or 'I've just hit a new milestone' post.

I suppose you're right really Tosh.  I know I have done it occasionally myself but I question whether I should.  I'm not a bragger though.  I just do it sometimes to encourage people.  Maybe I should restrict it to email.

pjulk

I totally agree with tosh.

it not good for us window cleaners saying you can do x amount a day.

You never know who is reading the posts on the forum.

Paul

dai

OK Tosh, I'm guilty too. I did point out that when I reached the £200 milestone I worked my nuts off for 11 hours.
I  think the earnings are secondary, first you have to get the work, and then the price.
 We could all be on £250 a day if we had the right work. A nice office block with 250 windows a metre square, on the ground and first floor. We could all knock that off in a day WFP.
A guy could go out tomorrow and buy a brand new van, with the latest hot water system and all the gubbins.
NOT WORTH A LIGHT WITHOUT THE WORK THOUGH.  Dai

Adam Boss

My post which has been removed was a joke, jest a bit of fun, if you think it was genuine then you need to get a sense of humour and fast.
Get a grip guys, when you get posts where guys are bullied of the forum and it's allowed to go on for page after page and then a bit of fun gets removed then the mods need to look at there position cos they are getting it all wrong.

enough said

Adam :P :P
EST: 1988

Dale Smith

I totally agree with Tosh.... which is why I never bother posting on these topics, or post again on a topic which becomes like that.
DJW's topic was a good one which went out of control, with people losing it with eachother.....why does it get to that?  ???
Banter is good  ;) ,but some peeps get nasty...  :(
Swindon, Wiltshire.

m b shaw

tosh,that really needed saying it s not just the i r that could be reading but clients as well and it comes across badly.people don t like to think somones boasting how much they can earn just cleaning windows.also regarding i r you really don t want to encourage an investigation into your buisness i know from experience the stress and
 time involved.i was squeaky clean but still had over a year of worry and sleepless nights.p s did you know you can take out a sort of insurance with your accountant against this about 110 pounds if thats all i had in the world thats what i would spend it on.
           cheers mick

Tosh

Crickey, it's rare that people agree with me!

However the people that're feeling guilty about doing it weren't the ones I was thinking of!  

There's nothing wrong with posting a price for a job, or earnings, if there's a reason for doing so (even when you hit a new target); I just get the feeling that some do it to show off (or 'troll' to wind Matt up ;D); and then it escalates to a new higher level; it'll not be long before sole traders are posting that they turn-over £1000 per day if it's not curtailed.

And if anyone's earning £1000 per day; good on you!  Don't tell me if you're doing it, unless you're prepared to tell me how; in great detail!

It's one of those situations when you can't come up with a set of rules; just some common sense.  

I'd say unless there's a valid reason for posting earnings - for the benifit of other fellow forum members - don't do it.

Price per job posts; with photos; aren't a problem and are normally interesting.

I think it's probably best, in my humble opinion, to keep earnings to yourself unless there's a valid reason for posting them.

Wayne Thomas

I mentioned that this cleaning forum is full of muppets bragging earnings on a public forum. Give it a few years and window cleaners will be wondering why they find it harder to obtain new work at decent prices.....because they entice new wanna be millionaires for doing sod all work at window cleaning who are cleaning for peanuts forcing down the costs of new cleans. We'll end up like council workers who will be earning what they earn't 15 years ago. It's taking a step backwards muppets.

Moderator David@stives

Tosh

My Porsche mechanic charges me £120 an hour

My local Garage charges £42 + vat an hour.

Most builders now want £200 - £300 a day.

I think we forget how much other trades are making, I have a block layer friend who regularly earns over £1000 a week.

All the tradesmen contracted to work on terminal 3 are on a minimum of £68'000 + overtime.

Sometimes i feel like jacking it all in and go and get a job i enjoy.

I remember once someone saying you are not rich until you find a job you love doing.

Dave

p.s I can do over £1000 in a day   ;D

Tosh

Tosh

My Porsche mechanic charges me £120 an hour

My local Garage charges £42 + vat an hour.

Most builders now want £200 - £300 a day.

Sigh!

How does this compare with window cleaning?

Your porche mechanic; what's his overheads?

Your local garage; what's his overheads?

Builders; What's their overheads?  Does he have repeat buisness?  I know a builder at Wor Lasses running club and although he seems to do okay, I know there's times he struggles because he hasn't got any work.  He's just been stopped half-way through a 'barn conversion' cos the couple he was working for have split up; and he's nothing in the pipeline.

I've a Corgi registered plumber whose just cancelled me (he's a Christian; so an honest sort) because his wife has just given birth to twins and he can't afford the £14.00 I was charging them to clean their windows!

Even if you have a brand new van and a top of the range WFP system; I doubt you'd be forking out more than £400 per month; tops!

Dave, you're comparing apples with elephants!

m b shaw

tosh, i ll agree with you again and say this, over the years i ve heard people in different trades say i earn this and i earn that but i bet they don t go online and tell the whole world.also when i clean one of these so called high earners how come there at home 10 a m mon morning and then they say can i pay
you friday    cheers mick