Tosh

Today, after a quiet few weeks I've taken on two new houses at a tenner each in an area where I do a lot of work already (okay, small cheese for you big guys; but nice for us), and have won a quote for a managed retired type place (a bunch of flats where old people live who pay a service charge for the maintenance of their area), which is great. 

The estate manager was extremely health and safety aware; no ladders and wants a risk and method statement and copy of my public liability insurance.

It's only (I say 'only') 130 quid a clean, but it's a mornings work at most; and Ian_Giles could walk there in ten minutes (maybe 15; he's getting old and slow) from where he lives!

So I'm well chuffed!

What new stuff have you taken on?

Grafters Cleaning Services

Re: Spring is great for getting new work; what've you taken on?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 03:47:55 pm »
11 new jobs this week between £10 - £15
not a bad week ;)
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

RO-Sheen

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 03:59:14 pm »
January  - 9
Feb  - 19
Mar - 16
Apr - 12
May - 4

So far 60 in total but I lost about 5 this year.
Formerly known as GARGAAX

NWH

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 04:04:24 pm »
Much the same i have got about 10 quotes to do next week + i`ve got 2 big jobs back now due to the builders finishing after about 6 mths.

Pittmonkey

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 04:09:39 pm »
So far I’ve had a good start to my new business. I dropped about 150 -200 leaflets out last Sunday (Apparently illegally see http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=36464.0 )

The return has been unbelievable 9 new customers all WFP for next weeks start up. Only one already had a WC and that was for a show home on a new estate. Didn’t undercut, priced above him but he only turned up when he felt like it.

My min price has been £10 and not one has even battered an eyelid even a small bungalow with only 4 windows and 1 PVC door. My max has been £16 for a 3 story town house.

I quoted one last night for £12 for 6 small windows a patio, she turned round and said omg that’s cheap and I thought I was probably bang on the nail. Still learning but enjoying every minute of it. So far every quote has been accepted.

I have a couple of possible Conservatories and 1 facia cleans, quoting tomorrow.

Thanks again to everyone who has help me get started, especially Mick H and John G

Out again this Weekend and Bank Hol Monday with my trusty leaflets.

Wayne
'Success is buried in the garden of failure'

pjulk

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 04:19:10 pm »
I have not taken on any new work for months.
I get loads of people asking but turn them down.
There is only so much i can do

Paul

RO-Sheen

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 04:22:41 pm »
Best of luck Pittmonkey. I find that it is best to go canvassing the houses you leafletted the previous week and you will be surprised how many you will pick up. Especially at this time of year.
As for the 'OMG thats cheap'.............I have a standard pricing structure that I use throughout my town but some customers comment that it is cheap, others comment that it is expensive! It depends on what they are used to.
Formerly known as GARGAAX

Richy L

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 07:03:07 pm »
i just did a clean today for the first timethat was £700......  which was nice! :)
also yesterday i picked up £80s worth of regular work just from people stopping me in the street!
so its been a great week for me! ;D ;D

Jason Atwell

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 08:26:39 pm »
In the past ten months of w/c, i have had one quote not excepted, at first i thought this was good, but now im thinking its better to get 5 yes's at a higher price and 5 no's rather than 10 yes's. i am soon to put alot of my prices up, and am starting to quote higher and people are still saying yes!

So pittmonkey its worth bearing in mind, that every one saying yes, may mean you are too cheap!
Fleetwood Window Cleaning Services

Pittmonkey

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 08:37:08 pm »
Hi Jason

Yes I understand were you are comming from. I was also thinking the same thing but it is very early days yet and no doubt the knock backs will come.

Being new to this I have a lot to learn yet and no doubt I will make mistakes. But in all honesty everything I've priced I would regard has being well priced. 

I would think when I go into the larger or commercial properties thats when I will have to learn fast.

Wayne

'Success is buried in the garden of failure'

Jason Atwell

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 08:45:43 pm »
good luck, im sure you will love this business! John G has also helped me out a lot, so you have someone for any questions!
Fleetwood Window Cleaning Services

jeff1

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 09:12:38 pm »
My best one since going wfp, was a pub belonging to Brewsters, who have also built a small 20 bedroom Travel Inn. 2.5 hrs work for £130  ;D

then there was the one large house I went to do a couple of weeks ago in a small village, I ended up getting 6 more houses, all next door to each other worth between £10 & £15 each.

Plenty more odd ones here and there in the area's I already work.

DASERVICES

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 09:24:22 pm »
I don't want any more, picked up a £120 house but have no time to do it so have passed it onto another window cleaner.

My grass cutting is going throuigh the roof as well.

chrismroberts

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 09:46:13 pm »
I picked up two new ones yesterday, one at £13 and one at £9... £22 in total. Both recommendations! And another couple today at £10 each. Not a fortune, £42, but it all adds up :)

I put in a quote for a community centre near some of my other work, £80 inside and out every three months so looking forward to hearing back about that. Will be the largest account on my round if I get it!  :)

I love this job  8)

Chris

AuRavelling79

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 09:51:52 pm »

My grass cutting is going throuigh the roof as well.

Your name Jack and the beanstalk?

;D
It's a game of three halves!

TVCS

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 10:01:15 pm »
Got 5 jobs in two days, all between £20 and £28 and all monthly.
A builders clean lined up (my first one) and about 5 more quotes to do.  Over the last 2 months I think I have picked up 20 - 25 jobs. 
Loads of patio cleans lined up and a few gutter jobs.   
Perhaps I will be able to catch up with the rent when I get it all done. ;)
Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

Mr.G

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2007, 11:58:13 pm »
I've actually lost more than I gained this last month, all my customers seem to be moving away!

gary evans

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2007, 07:28:53 am »
Ive lost 2 big jobs one £400+ per month &  1 £150 per month. Trying to replace fast, got 5 quotes to do by tuesday & did 3 thursday. Most of my work is 3 monthly so realy the above are treble the value. One of the above is £700.00 + per month the others are only small £20 +. Good realy do with big one at that price but sure is a lot of money.

Londoner

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2007, 07:56:31 am »
Actually, I am just out leafletting this morning for an hour or so. I find a little and often is best for me.
 Like Mr G I have lost a couple to the retire and move away syndrome that seems to affect this area. Thats because I am based in the North West London suburbs where house prices are high and most people want to free up some of the money tied up in their property when they retire.

It must be nice to work somewhere where all the retired people go because you can watch them move in and then swoop down and offer to do their windows while they are still unpacking.

Almost invariably, when someone moves out round here the new people don't want their windows cleaned. Thats if you can make them understand what a window cleaner is. Gradually the potential customer base is shrinking.

East coast window cleaning Services

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2007, 09:05:19 am »
just got a nice contract for two large blocks of flats over in woolwich 3 monthly cleans £655 2 days work all wfp aswell
P&R Window Cleaning