mattcochram

Van Signage
« on: December 16, 2008, 12:24:27 pm »
Hi all, im considering getting my van sign written i would just like to no from any of you who have this done how much additional work does this generate, ie a call a week, month etc

Regards
Matt

nevil

Re: Van Signage
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 01:14:05 pm »

from edge2edge

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 01:16:16 pm »
Matt unless people actually tell you they got your number from your van its difficult to say how much work you get from it but there is no doubt that it is the best form of advertising you do and will defintely get you calls.Regards Alan (swindon)

mattcochram

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 04:09:46 pm »
Ok cheers, had a look at that website dropped them a message so thanks for the link!

Matt

derek west

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 04:12:03 pm »
alan
do you not ask every caller?
matt
ive had 3 jobs in 6 months from people seeing my van on the road.
ive also had neighbours come out and ask for my card which has resulted in jobs which i'm convinced wouldn't of happened if they didn't know i was a cc. lets face it, a truckmount sounds like its unblocking drains or drilling for oil rather than cc work.
its well worth having it done, its a one off payment for advertising and is on going. mines paid for itself all ready and still got another 3 or 4 years before i change my van and get flashed up again.
go for it,
derek

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 05:10:16 pm »
I would agree. Also people see the van and it enters their memory subliminally. Then when for example searching in YP for a cc, they see my name and think,"Oh yes, I've seen that company's vans (vans plural!?!) around; I'll use them."

However I have got to thinking. We have bus lanes in Stockport and outside the "core" hours anybody can use them. Many drivers don't understand them and keep to the outside lane and can queue for many minutes whilst I am sailing up the bus lane. Do those drivers then think " I certainly won't use Doctor Carpet to clean my carpets as he doesn't obey the traffic rules". When of course I am perfectly in the right to do what I am doing and they are just being lemmings.

Have any of you other guys also thought that?
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

clinton

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 05:19:34 pm »
A good investment getting your van sign written :)

Had many jobs from the van over the years :)

Bill Robinson

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 05:35:51 pm »
park it at shop car parks always get the odd job from that

better still if you know someone who is going to rob a bank and they need a getaway vehicle its bound to be on crime watch im sure you will get a lot of work from that, if it works let me know.

Bill

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 07:38:20 pm »
ive had mine done buy racoon well worth the 3 k to have it done

im so happy with it i got anthor one done  ;D

Jim_77

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 10:49:41 pm »
Matt - your van signage may produce one or two jobs, every now and again, as a direct result of people seeing it.

But that isn't the point of van signage.

A well signwritten van serves as a secondary way of reassuring potential and existing customers that they're dealing with a pro.  When you roll up outside for the first time, it makes so much difference if the van is presented well.

As Derek says, it also works as a "second stage" in attracting interested neighbours.

Quite often when I ask enquirers how they first heard of my company, they say they looked us up in the directory or whatever but also say they've seen the vans around.

Roger - good point... I always drive courteously and make an effort to let people out at junctions etc because I do believe it works that way too.  I have a personal dislike for a local security firm because every one of their vehicles I encounter on the road is either tailgating me, cuts me up, or I just see them generally driving like complete prats.  Or is "they" just one of their drivers?  Who knows, their vehicles are identical.  As far as I'm concerned, if I needed a house alarm they'd be at the bottom of the list to call!

craigp

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 11:15:13 pm »
I got no jobs from my van for 2 years! cus its not sign written ;D ;D

Has this damaged my buisness? no, its gone from strength to strength.

when I had a written van I found nieghbours only asked a price but would hardly ever booked, clients called because they was serious about using me, neighbours are only 'thinking about it as your there' and mostly waste your time, just my opinion. Yes there maybe exceptions, but carpet cleaning vans sign written look tacky anyway.

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 11:27:28 pm »
I know what you mean Jim.... A woman failed to stop at a round-a-bout and I skidded to a halt and was inches away from T-Boning her...Normally I would have gone barmy and give her a proper mish mash of hand gestures. Did I lean out of the window shouting and ranting?..... No, I waved and smiled!

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 11:50:27 pm »
I got no jobs from my van for 2 years! cus its not sign written ;D ;D

Has this damaged my buisness? no, its gone from strength to strength.

when I had a written van I found nieghbours only asked a price but would hardly ever booked, clients called because they was serious about using me, neighbours are only 'thinking about it as your there' and mostly waste your time, just my opinion. Yes there maybe exceptions, but carpet cleaning vans sign written look tacky anyway.

Quite a sweeping statement regarding "tacky", I like to think my van looks... rememberable!  ;D (Is there such a word??? There is now!) I wanted a black van with italic silver lettering in order to send out a signal that I was for the high end clientelle, who was I kidding? Then I decided in the end that I'd go for the bold, red/black and yellow... it stands out and certainly gets me noticed and definately gets me work... Post men wave at me too, all the time ???

Doug Holloway

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 08:00:06 am »
Hi Guys

I have had 5 direct jobs and several assists this year from my van and that is down from last year due to current economic circumstaces.

It also has the effect as Jim says of portraying you are a proper, established business.

Cheers

Doug

derek west

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 08:02:45 am »
craig.
maybe the neighbours who enquired were price shopping cos an unwritten van looks like your cheap, and extremely tacky. lets face it, you must be cheap if you can't afford to sign write your van, at least, thats what i'd think if i was a neighbour of a job you were doing. if you see a posh well sign written van, you no there not gonna be cheap. so if you ask, then your not price shopping.
derek

craigp

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 09:16:15 am »
I refer to nieghbours asking when I DID have a sign written van.

they dont bother me now :)

thought my post might upset some people ;D

PS. one of the top charging carpet cleaners in the UK has an unsign written van!
we know him as Dave. Is he cheap?

Barry Livingstone

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 09:27:41 am »
Susan you paid 3k to get a van sign written? or is a niteshift of carpet cleaning driving me mad????
Carpet, Upholstery cleaning & hard floor cleaning.
                     Fife, perth and tayside.

suffolkclean

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 12:23:13 pm »
3k sounds like a fortune to me too.

JandS

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 01:57:51 pm »
You can get a total re-spray for a lot less than that.
Hope she didn't write down on paper what she wanted it to say and give it to them, that would be fun to read.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

derek west

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 04:08:25 pm »
craig
didn't upset me mate, just pointing out the obvious.
john
bit below the belt that mate,
derek

John Gregory

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 04:37:02 pm »
You can get a total re-spray for a lot less than that.
Hope she didn't write down on paper what she wanted it to say and give it to them, that would be fun to read.

John

John that post was a bit naughty

John

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 04:49:03 pm »
When I wuz at skool, the teachers used to say mike, you're a bright lad but you can't spell, add up or write legibly.

Today we have spellcheckers, calculators and wordprocessors thank God.

3k on signwriting does seem a bit lottery winner though. Learning how to invest your cash wisely is not a straightforward path. Some people feel uncomfortable with money believe it or not and will unconsciously waste it away until it's gone.

Joe H

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 05:22:48 pm »
It was a wrap - which is more expensive then sign writing - obviously a lot more expensive.
Susan reckons she got good value and thats the imprtant thing.

Need to get a lot of work from it though for it to pay.

JandS

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 05:38:11 pm »
Moaning about not enough work coming in and spending 6k on signwriting??
I have a magnetic sign either side and that gets well noticed for the princely sum of I think £55.

John

JandS

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 05:39:57 pm »
And I can remove them at will if I want to be anonymous.

John

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 05:51:07 pm »
I don't think she is moaning, she is after some help. We have all made mistakes building a business.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 05:57:24 pm »
Hi guys

That was out of order , lets keep friendly otherwise I will have to lock the topic.

Cheers

doug

clinton

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2008, 06:30:55 pm »
Mike.

Am still making them now ::)

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2008, 07:11:58 pm »
Me too. Try not to think of it as making mistakes, it's a sign that you are still learning and growing. ;D

Robert Watson

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2008, 07:18:43 pm »
College Fees
The Kitchen Door Centre

carpetworx

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2008, 02:53:08 am »
Well susan,show us what it looks like :P

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2008, 06:05:13 pm »
dont worrie about people haveing i go, im used to it and many close friends on a site for people that dont take there cleaners into a house know why i cant spell

any way back to the wrap,  i paid top dollor to get  it done becasue i wanted the best people to do it ! remeber what everybody keeps saying buy cheap get cheap !!!! 

when the new van came i set out to get what i wanted and they way i wanted it

what ever the cost , as it will pay for itself , alloys, aircon.twin side doors,bluetooth,eps,twin airbags ( leather seats are on order) speedlined , shelfs ,hydromaster thought i was bonkers ,  i even went to the extrme of covering all the wires with black wire covering becayuse i hATE SEEING WIRES

i get custys saying how good my van looks inside and out ! just anthor way of sticking out from the rest and why not i never paid a penny for it as the tax man will  ;) 

got no pics of the van done but im sure theres afew that seen it at h.m. show, i  tried put some on a while ago but the site wouldnt let me

carlton care

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2008, 08:25:21 pm »
Susan

Your communication skills are excellent, there can't be anyone on here who is unable to tell exactly what you are saying. Unlike me, who often fails to get across what I really mean.

I don't have a problem with poor spelling, but I must admit, I get a bit peed off with " lazy speak "which comes up now and again. I tend to regard it as an indicator of someone who'se likely to be equally careless in their practical work.

derek west

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2008, 08:41:02 pm »
im wiv u on dat car car. ;D
des

Joe H

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2008, 07:45:29 am »
Susan

A lot of us did not get to the Hydramaster weekend so didnt get to see your van wrap or equipment.

If you have a digital camera, take some photos at low resolution, stick the on your computer (know where they are), do an e-mail, to Jim Neal or myself, - adding the photos as attachments, and we will see if we can get them on here for all of us to see.
That would be good

Joe

clinton

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2008, 08:06:41 am »
Joe

Thats a good idea as jim did the same for me when i first tryed to upload my picture without any luck :)

Joe H

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2008, 08:11:01 am »
Susan
I assumed you know how to attache a photo in a e-mail.

If you dont, send an email and I will explain. Its simple (when you know how)

Hi Clinton.

clinton

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2008, 08:18:58 am »
Joe

As i say its easy when you know how :)

I did strugle at first as its all new to me  too ::)

Dont forget the invite for xmas is still open

JandS

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2008, 10:27:21 am »
Sounds like the van's the main issue and the cleaning comes second.
Sorry if I speak my mind.

John

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2008, 12:25:33 pm »
Here's a little gem.

If like me you have a hard time spelling try this...

A lot of people who have spelling difficulties tend to try and work out the spelling by saying it in their heads. Because words are not always spelt how they sound you can realise why it's not a good idea.

A better way is to imagine what the word LOOKS like. If you combine this with imagining the word in front of you ABOVE eye level  like this ::) this activates the part of the brain associated with visual recognition.

Give it a go and see how well it works for you.

Mike

Mike Halliday

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2008, 01:28:55 pm »
If like me you have a hard time spelling try this...

http://toolbar.google.com/T5/intl/en-GB/index.html?tracking=1&utm_campaign=enGB&utm_source=enGB-ha-emea-uk-google&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=google%20spell%20check&tbbrand=GZAZ

problem solved, unless you want the problem to elicit sympathy, which is often the case, but I'm sure not in this instance.

back to the original question, a couple of points; to say Dave liona is successful and doesn't have a sign-written van is as valid an argument as my mate who is successful and drinks his own urine, they are successful not because of this but as well as this.

a van is a reinforcement of all your other advertising. as has already been said people see the van and make a mental note of it so when they are looking through the phone book they remember your name.

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2008, 05:05:35 pm »
Sounds like the van's the main issue and the cleaning comes second.
Sorry if I speak my mind.

John

i good friend of my late dad was the same as me you may of seen one of his waggons around eddie stobart ???

pop i pic of your van up and give us a look at it !

joe the pics are on the way only got the ldv as the transit is in at fords getting a wirewing fault sorted

Bob Allen

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2008, 05:20:27 pm »
I saw you van at hydramaster susan and it was impressive like lots of other sign written vans.
Cant believe why any serious carpet cleaner wouldnt have his van sigh written if i saw a van with no writing on it i would prob think it was another Pikey or jack of all trades.
Bob Allen

clinton

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2008, 05:21:28 pm »
Show us your van susan ;D ;D

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2008, 06:27:32 pm »
lets give it a go

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2008, 06:32:53 pm »
and the outside these were took my one of my staff while he was washing it at home i always paid thjem for three hours aweek to wash outside and inside there vans and it as been known for me to turn up on site just to chech the vans clean and there wearing the ties

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2008, 06:40:50 pm »
befoure the wrap

carlton care

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2008, 06:55:06 pm »
OK Susan, that is absolutely top class and light years away from the " average "lettered van. With that van you are NOT First Clean, You are in a different market and should market to the new market with this new image

That doesn't mean you should abandon the past twenty years efforts though, but I'd treat them as separate entities, at least for a couple of years

robert m

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2008, 06:55:47 pm »
Nice wrap Susan, much better job than the VW Polo ;).

Andrew

Darren O

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2008, 07:06:33 pm »
Smart van money well spent.

Joe H

« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2008, 07:09:26 pm »
That is one heck of a van signage Susan.

If the carpets look as good as the van when they have been cleaned - you should be on top £'s for the work.

John Gregory

« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2008, 07:28:29 pm »
That is proper smart . Well done 

John

Fintan_Coll

« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2008, 07:45:34 pm »
The vans look great but the VW Polo( if that's what it is) takes some beating for a colour scheme  ;D

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2008, 08:17:42 pm »
Very impressive Sue - well worth the time and effort you spent getting it just right

Steve

craigp

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2008, 08:21:17 pm »
Wow, you definatly want to put prices up, thats a massive investment. Dont take that as critisism, I just think your undervaluing your service.

Very nice, now this sign writting has got to bring in some work? Did not know you went eco.

derek west

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2008, 08:39:17 pm »
hope your van goes on all your advertising,

gobsmacked.

want one.

and if that was working next door, i'd definately nip out and get you to do my carpets, (i really can't be assed to do my own) ;D

best cc van ive ever seen.

derek

« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2008, 09:50:05 pm »
OK this may seem a silly question, but if you had got a white van would you still have had to have the whole thing covered? I'm just thinking it would have been cheaper. :-\

clinton

« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2008, 10:43:08 pm »
Susan

A fab set up if i ever saw one :)

Love the colour :)

You should be getting top notch prices now susan  :)

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2008, 01:23:11 am »
OK this may seem a silly question, but if you had got a white van would you still have had to have the whole thing covered? I'm just thinking it would have been cheaper. :-\

it would nt  of been any cheaper i ordered a top spec van , with all the extras some came free with the spec of the titaum model

i looked in to getting a plain white van then adding everything i wanted but it would of cost 1700 pounds more then i paid for it as it stands   

did the same with the transit just went and got the glx modle and added bits fron the op. list

the transit  looks the same as the ldv but its a 58 reg

Ricky M

« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2008, 08:47:52 am »
Looks great , my mate up there mentioned that the same van not so long ago , " seen a cc van , must be a national company cause it was pro kitted out "

Cant see why your not pulling in the very high end of clients ???
If it was one of mine I would have a leaflet boy/girl posting every where the van was workking
( its working big time for me  ;)) Just need to get the canvas time ready for next APRIL !

Im back up there visiting family in jan , would you let me have a closer look or would I have to book you for a carpet clean  ;D

Ricky
www.ability1975.co.uk
                          www.carpetcleaninguttoxeter.co.uk  
              NCCA !? but why have non of my clients herd of them ??

clinton

« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2008, 08:49:22 am »
Susan

You will be on mtv  pimp my ride :)

Ricky M

« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2008, 08:52:15 am »
Clinton , do you ever sleep ?  or just been GYM ? lol

Ricky

www.ability1975.co.uk
                          www.carpetcleaninguttoxeter.co.uk  
              NCCA !? but why have non of my clients herd of them ??

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2008, 09:12:47 am »
Looks great , my mate up there mentioned that the same van not so long ago , " seen a cc van , must be a national company cause it was pro kitted out "

Cant see why your not pulling in the very high end of clients ???
If it was one of mine I would have a leaflet boy/girl posting every where the van was workking
( its working big time for me  ;)) Just need to get the canvas time ready for next APRIL !

Im back up there visiting family in jan , would you let me have a closer look or would I have to book you for a carpet clean  ;D

Ricky

your more then wellcome to look at it ever have a little go if your not t.m. all ready drop me a p.m. when your up here and ill make sure its there if you

clinton

« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2008, 12:03:57 pm »
Ricky

No gym today lol

Had a job to do :) last one before xmas :)

Wasnt up as early as joe ;D

Joe H

« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2008, 12:08:30 pm »
Clinton
Woke up about 4am and couldnt get back to sleep so got up.

Shattered now!

clinton

« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2008, 12:13:43 pm »
Joe

Same here was awake at half 5 ::)

Think once my mind starts working thats my lie in gone ;D

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2008, 02:26:29 pm »
Susan

11 out of 10!. Looks fantastic.
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2008, 03:01:20 pm »
Wow, That's certainly something to aspire to! One day!!

richy27

« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2008, 03:10:59 pm »
Magnetics are a good alternative especially if you intend changing your van with them you can pop them off and put them on another van. also i find that if i have backed up to a doorway when working i have one i stick on the bonnet

carpetworx

« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2008, 09:52:11 pm »
Grrrreat mate, thats one hot van, worth the wait. 8)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2008, 09:55:35 pm »
Best looking van I've seen.

Shaun

carlton care

« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2008, 10:47:01 pm »
By a mile, or two!

Joe H

« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2008, 12:28:00 pm »
It is a really smart van, and agree probably the smartest around.

but mine looks pretty good in my eyes at a tenth of the cost.  :)

clinton

« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2008, 01:59:17 pm »
Joe

You will have to upload yours up again :)

Joe H

« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2008, 02:16:43 pm »
Here we go Clinton, very similar to my leaflet.

Van cost £300 for back and 2 sides.

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2008, 02:29:59 pm »
Where is the 1 handed wanding, and the WAVE ;D

Nice van Joe

Andrew

Joe H

« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2008, 02:33:05 pm »
Im a bit older then those other two young wipper snappers (Shaun & Mike), I have to hang more  :)

Im working out how to incorporate it into a zimmer frame.  :D

clinton

« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2008, 04:51:46 pm »
Joe

Nice clean van mate i did see your set when you posted it in the summer :)

Mike Halliday

« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2008, 05:02:14 pm »
I was the first!!

derek west

« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2008, 05:09:59 pm »
look at that shaun, waving with his right hand, wanding with his left.now thats gooooooood.

wand and wave boys, wand and wave.

derek

Mike Halliday

« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2008, 05:18:35 pm »
that took years to learn :D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2008, 05:26:57 pm »
We had to lift Mikes hand up to a more natural wave  ;)

Shaun

derek west

« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2008, 05:36:52 pm »
one day, you just wait, 2009 i'm gonna practice practice practice.
derek

Jim_77

« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2008, 05:44:59 pm »
Keep practising Derek ;)

Jim_77

« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2008, 05:46:42 pm »
Maybe Shaun and Mike went to the same training school?

This could be them in their apprentice days....

:D :D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2008, 06:03:31 pm »
Jim we have no fingers ;)

Shaun

clinton

« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2008, 06:31:24 pm »
 ;D

CARPET KNIGHTS

« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2008, 10:50:22 am »
Shaun they develope with time but mikes developed a bit too far!

These are who did mine

http://www.bossdog.co.uk/gallery.asp

Scroll down the gallery and you will see mine

will_turton

« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2008, 09:15:32 pm »
 goran i thought my car was on there then ;D ;D

alan lewis

« Reply #89 on: December 27, 2008, 07:20:43 pm »
I havent seen either of these vans in the flesh as it were, i believe one of them is Dave Roelants up in the lakes and the other one is in Oz i think. 2 straight to the point better looking van's you wont see.

Alan

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2008, 07:44:42 pm »
dave sold the transit a few years back , never saw it but it was a nice look van

PaulKing

« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2008, 09:07:23 am »
some very nice looking vans, what does it cost to do a wrap like that susan?

www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

Joe H

« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2008, 09:41:03 am »
Paul
Make sure you are sat down when she tells you how much  :o

It is a nice wrap though.

clinton

« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2008, 10:09:11 am »
Joe

How about this ;D

Joe H

« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2008, 10:35:10 am »
Yep, that will be ok for him to collapse in  :D

clinton

« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2008, 11:04:01 am »
 ;D

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2009, 04:21:39 pm »
some very nice looking vans, what does it cost to do a wrap like that susan?

it was 3k plus the vat buddy bit worth every penny !