mattcochram

Van Signage
« on: December 16, 2008, 12:24:27 pm »
Hi all, im considering getting my van sign written i would just like to no from any of you who have this done how much additional work does this generate, ie a call a week, month etc

Regards
Matt

nevil

Re: Van Signage
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 01:14:05 pm »

from edge2edge

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 01:16:16 pm »
Matt unless people actually tell you they got your number from your van its difficult to say how much work you get from it but there is no doubt that it is the best form of advertising you do and will defintely get you calls.Regards Alan (swindon)

mattcochram

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 04:09:46 pm »
Ok cheers, had a look at that website dropped them a message so thanks for the link!

Matt

derek west

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 04:12:03 pm »
alan
do you not ask every caller?
matt
ive had 3 jobs in 6 months from people seeing my van on the road.
ive also had neighbours come out and ask for my card which has resulted in jobs which i'm convinced wouldn't of happened if they didn't know i was a cc. lets face it, a truckmount sounds like its unblocking drains or drilling for oil rather than cc work.
its well worth having it done, its a one off payment for advertising and is on going. mines paid for itself all ready and still got another 3 or 4 years before i change my van and get flashed up again.
go for it,
derek

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 05:10:16 pm »
I would agree. Also people see the van and it enters their memory subliminally. Then when for example searching in YP for a cc, they see my name and think,"Oh yes, I've seen that company's vans (vans plural!?!) around; I'll use them."

However I have got to thinking. We have bus lanes in Stockport and outside the "core" hours anybody can use them. Many drivers don't understand them and keep to the outside lane and can queue for many minutes whilst I am sailing up the bus lane. Do those drivers then think " I certainly won't use Doctor Carpet to clean my carpets as he doesn't obey the traffic rules". When of course I am perfectly in the right to do what I am doing and they are just being lemmings.

Have any of you other guys also thought that?
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

clinton

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 05:19:34 pm »
A good investment getting your van sign written :)

Had many jobs from the van over the years :)

Bill Robinson

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 05:35:51 pm »
park it at shop car parks always get the odd job from that

better still if you know someone who is going to rob a bank and they need a getaway vehicle its bound to be on crime watch im sure you will get a lot of work from that, if it works let me know.

Bill

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 07:38:20 pm »
ive had mine done buy racoon well worth the 3 k to have it done

im so happy with it i got anthor one done  ;D

Jim_77

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 10:49:41 pm »
Matt - your van signage may produce one or two jobs, every now and again, as a direct result of people seeing it.

But that isn't the point of van signage.

A well signwritten van serves as a secondary way of reassuring potential and existing customers that they're dealing with a pro.  When you roll up outside for the first time, it makes so much difference if the van is presented well.

As Derek says, it also works as a "second stage" in attracting interested neighbours.

Quite often when I ask enquirers how they first heard of my company, they say they looked us up in the directory or whatever but also say they've seen the vans around.

Roger - good point... I always drive courteously and make an effort to let people out at junctions etc because I do believe it works that way too.  I have a personal dislike for a local security firm because every one of their vehicles I encounter on the road is either tailgating me, cuts me up, or I just see them generally driving like complete prats.  Or is "they" just one of their drivers?  Who knows, their vehicles are identical.  As far as I'm concerned, if I needed a house alarm they'd be at the bottom of the list to call!

craigp

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 11:15:13 pm »
I got no jobs from my van for 2 years! cus its not sign written ;D ;D

Has this damaged my buisness? no, its gone from strength to strength.

when I had a written van I found nieghbours only asked a price but would hardly ever booked, clients called because they was serious about using me, neighbours are only 'thinking about it as your there' and mostly waste your time, just my opinion. Yes there maybe exceptions, but carpet cleaning vans sign written look tacky anyway.

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 11:27:28 pm »
I know what you mean Jim.... A woman failed to stop at a round-a-bout and I skidded to a halt and was inches away from T-Boning her...Normally I would have gone barmy and give her a proper mish mash of hand gestures. Did I lean out of the window shouting and ranting?..... No, I waved and smiled!

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 11:50:27 pm »
I got no jobs from my van for 2 years! cus its not sign written ;D ;D

Has this damaged my buisness? no, its gone from strength to strength.

when I had a written van I found nieghbours only asked a price but would hardly ever booked, clients called because they was serious about using me, neighbours are only 'thinking about it as your there' and mostly waste your time, just my opinion. Yes there maybe exceptions, but carpet cleaning vans sign written look tacky anyway.

Quite a sweeping statement regarding "tacky", I like to think my van looks... rememberable!  ;D (Is there such a word??? There is now!) I wanted a black van with italic silver lettering in order to send out a signal that I was for the high end clientelle, who was I kidding? Then I decided in the end that I'd go for the bold, red/black and yellow... it stands out and certainly gets me noticed and definately gets me work... Post men wave at me too, all the time ???

Doug Holloway

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 08:00:06 am »
Hi Guys

I have had 5 direct jobs and several assists this year from my van and that is down from last year due to current economic circumstaces.

It also has the effect as Jim says of portraying you are a proper, established business.

Cheers

Doug

derek west

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 08:02:45 am »
craig.
maybe the neighbours who enquired were price shopping cos an unwritten van looks like your cheap, and extremely tacky. lets face it, you must be cheap if you can't afford to sign write your van, at least, thats what i'd think if i was a neighbour of a job you were doing. if you see a posh well sign written van, you no there not gonna be cheap. so if you ask, then your not price shopping.
derek

craigp

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 09:16:15 am »
I refer to nieghbours asking when I DID have a sign written van.

they dont bother me now :)

thought my post might upset some people ;D

PS. one of the top charging carpet cleaners in the UK has an unsign written van!
we know him as Dave. Is he cheap?

Barry Livingstone

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 09:27:41 am »
Susan you paid 3k to get a van sign written? or is a niteshift of carpet cleaning driving me mad????
Carpet, Upholstery cleaning & hard floor cleaning.
                     Fife, perth and tayside.

suffolkclean

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 12:23:13 pm »
3k sounds like a fortune to me too.

JandS

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 01:57:51 pm »
You can get a total re-spray for a lot less than that.
Hope she didn't write down on paper what she wanted it to say and give it to them, that would be fun to read.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

derek west

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 04:08:25 pm »
craig
didn't upset me mate, just pointing out the obvious.
john
bit below the belt that mate,
derek