The Great One

Re: Diesel now £1.26 by me
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2008, 12:00:41 pm »
Hi

basically the reason the price has gone nuts is the hedge funds who trade the oil.

there is also 'Double dipping' going on. This is the oil companies who make their profit from all aspects of the crude, then they play the markets as well, so they profit twice.

Bio Fuels are a horror story, they are about as climate friendly as a cow fart. from destruction of prime rainforest (bigger than the size of Wales in borneo alone) to harvest palm trees for palm oil, to the actual production of the bio fuel, and we are now being forced to have this in our fuel (2 1/2%) Tghis has also pushed up the price of staple commodities like wheat, sugar, rapeseed. Wheat has tripled in the past 18 months from £71 MT in 2006 to over £181 MT now.

Fossil fuels are not necessary (spelling) a finite source. For a start the fact that crude comes from fossiled remain is a theory, not a fact. there is also a theory that oil is made in the mantel and seeps to the surface, this has come about from previous empty wells filling up.

Peak Oil is also a farce, there is oil for many hundreds of years yet.

Regards

Martin 8)

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2008, 12:01:14 pm »
I saw eco fuel advertised the other day at 95 pence per litre, not sure I dare put it in my van though!

what van do you have ??

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2008, 12:02:41 pm »
even cook oils gone up its now 71p a liter and thats mine 45 pounds to fill my transit  ;D

colin thomas

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2008, 07:51:40 pm »
shouldn't this have been posted under the 'why not buy a truck-mount' thread. i'm seriously thinking of going lpg
colin
colin thomas

dan roberts

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2008, 09:49:22 pm »
Bio fuel is superb, better than chucking neat veg oil in your van or car, its reclaimed, the glycerine is removed and its filtered to make it the same viscosity as 'diesel'. I have ran my 4X4 on it for years, all for the dazzling price of £0.80 per litre.

Life moves pretty fast, if u dont stop and look around once in a while, u could miss it.

Jason Hedges

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2008, 11:04:28 pm »
Stopped at a BP garage this afternoon on the A12:

£124.9 regular diesel

£131.9 ultimate diesel

Dearest I've seen yet.

dan roberts

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2008, 11:47:38 pm »
BIO FUEL, f@@k the arabs. It can be re-newed, here, on british soil.
Life moves pretty fast, if u dont stop and look around once in a while, u could miss it.

Jason Hedges

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2008, 12:16:54 am »
Hi Dan,

Been looking for outlets near me cant find any. Love the idea though!

Is that what you use? Do you buy or make it?

The Great One

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2008, 07:19:45 am »
BIO FUEL, f@@k the arabs. It can be re-newed, here, on british soil.

Looks like some of you guys are mistaken, most of the bio fuel is not reconstituted from Chipfat, it is harvested through Corn, wheat and palm oil (see previous post) What you are saving from fuel is being eaten by hike in food prices

The effect of biofuels on food prices has been dramatic. A litre of corn oil has more than doubled in a year, to £1.38, in one of the big supermarkets. Fusilli pasta, made from wheat, is up 81 per cent, a baguette by 41 per cent and Weetabix cereal 21 per cent.

Farmers are also facing huge increases in feed bills, leading to dearer meat and dairy products. Milk is up 16.6 per cent, English butter by 62 per cent and mild cheddar by 25.6 per cent.

Free-range eggs, which come from hens fed a corn mix, have leapt in price by an alarming 47.4 per cent in a year to £2.58 a dozen.

Basmati rice is up more than 60 per cent in 12 months and Britain's biggest supplier, Tilda, has warned of a further rise of around 30 per cent in the coming year.

Although I have no time for Global warming, I don't like to see prime rainforests destroyed over the make believe story that is bio fuel, it is not possible to grow ourselves out of the need for oil, the land simply doesn't exist.

Regards

Martin 8)

dan roberts

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2008, 07:35:07 am »
You are mistaken, Bio Fuel is collected from hotels, restaurants, chip shops, filtered etc, its WVO, waste vegetable oil.
So its not affecting your rainforest you cock.
Jason, there is loads of outlets, two down here in a mateer of 10 miles so im sure if you research you'll find one. Mine is called Bio Fuel UK, Exeter. Best of luck finding one mate, it saves me over £20 a week!! And runs quieter, and less, less smokey.

Cheers, Dan

jasonl

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2008, 07:47:44 am »
The small fry (sorry) producers use WVO, along with  some slightly bigger ones who use WVO from food production, so Dan is right on that score.
BUT , since last month ALL diesel at  the pumps has by law had to contain 5% bio diesel , and this 5% is mainly made from "new" oil  grown in faraway places on deforested land, so Martin was indeed correct.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

The Great One

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2008, 09:17:13 am »
You are mistaken, Bio Fuel is collected from hotels, restaurants, chip shops, filtered etc, its WVO, waste vegetable oil.
So its not affecting your rainforest you cock.
Jason, there is loads of outlets, two down here in a mateer of 10 miles so im sure if you research you'll find one. Mine is called Bio Fuel UK, Exeter. Best of luck finding one mate, it saves me over £20 a week!! And runs quieter, and less, less smokey.

Cheers, Dan

Dan, before you fire off your insults, best you look in the mirror and direct them at the person in front of you.

What you are saving in fuel is maybe (again not absolutely) being lost in food bills. Oh, they are not my rainforests either.

I said 'most' not all. Yes, WVO is used, but globally it is mostly (not totally, for those that can't read) taken from the sources already mentioned. Again this is one of (not totally) the reasons why our food is more expensive.

At the moment the bio fuel in fuel is 2 1/2%, the EU (in all their wisdom) want this to rise to 10% by 2030. Bio fuel is grown in this country from wheat, Corn, rapeseed crops. I can hardly blame the farmers as they get more from their crop for biofuels than they do for food usage.

Martin 8)

The Great One

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2008, 09:35:00 am »
Hi Jason

Posted on  Tuesday 15 April 2008

New laws that came into effect in the UK this week mandating all fuels for cars and trucks must have some biofuel content has been found to do more harm to the environment than good. A number of charities including Oxfam and Greenpeace as well as science groups claim the production of biofuel will add more carbon-dioxide to the air than would be reduced by the amount adsorbed by the crops used to make the fuel.

Under the Renewable Transport Fuel Obligation, fuel companies must ensure 2.5% of fuel sold at UK pumps consists of biofuels and 5% by 2010. According to the Department for Transport the plan will cut CO2 levels by 2.5 million metric tons a year. Their reasoning is that replanted crops for biofuel production takes the same amount of CO2 out of the atmosphere as burning them puts in, reports Bloomberg.

Increased production of biofuel crops also has the adverse effect of pushing up food prices as land available for food crops is reduced. As UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown pointed out last week, the government itself is concerned biofuels are pushing up food costs yet the law still passed.

According to Oxfam, the new law will cost taxpayers $1 billion a year and could force up to 60 million people from their land in third world countries to make room for biofuel production. Both Oxfam and Greenpeace say the policy is “reckless,” because fuel providers are not yet obliged to source biofuels from sustainable plantations.

UK Biofuel Policy “Insane” - Senior Government Scientist

On the 1st April, 2008, the addition 2.5% of biodiesel to petrol and diesel becomes UK law.

Under the terms of the Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation (RTFO), fuel suppliers have to be able to prove that 2.5% of the fuel they sell is from ‘renewable’ sources - which means biofuels.

In 2010, this obligation will rise to 5%.

Regards

Martin 8)

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2008, 10:17:58 am »
im not getting into where bio fuel comes from debate but all i will say befour useing it you must check where your van can run on it ! the older the van the more likely it will be ok

if the vans still under warrnty the stay away from it as it will voiid it !
we run our two old shape trannsits on it fine and the expert (non turbo) fine but the sprinters wont run on it ! the ram will run fine on it thank god that only does 12 to the gallen !

calmore

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2008, 04:19:53 pm »
Biodiesel 85p down this way, all taxes paid, MOQ 100 litres..
Calmore Carpet Cleaning-Southampton
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services
www.southernpatservices.com/

carpetworx

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2008, 07:08:55 am »
HELLOOO what about salt water?? plenty of that around.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2008, 08:41:03 am »
HELLOOO what about salt water?? plenty of that around.

yes and from what ive heard its best getting rinced out with cold water  ;D ;D ;D

stevegunn

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2008, 05:42:27 pm »
I paid £1.27 for diesel this afternoon

The Great One

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2008, 03:04:47 pm »
Hi

15th of May 2008

7.30am Texaco Brighton Seafront

Unleaded £1.12.9
Dieseln    £ 1.23.9

10.30am

Unleaded £1.14.9
diesel       £1.25.9

Regards

Martin 8)

nick p

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2008, 05:47:49 pm »
i was paying £1.19.9 when this post was first started now im paying £1.24.9 crazy whens it going to stop