maxcarpets

Re: When you walk into alltec do you......
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2008, 05:00:33 pm »
No No No, not me. I have just learned over the years that you can not stick to always getting the highest price, dont get me wrong when its their grab it with both hands, but as well as trying to be Richard Branson you have too be a bit Del boy as well and do a few deals here and their. I think FT brain washes you a bit into hanging for the best price at all costs, I disagree I think you must be prepared to work for anything from £35 to £100 per hour, because if your like me you probably wouldnt earn even £35 per hour anywhere else. As I said before, just my opinion, but my opinion his helped along by 3 kids and a wife to feed! plus that bloody mortgage!

Justin

COLIN BRIGHT

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2008, 05:03:50 pm »
as far as im concerned, it does'nt matter what others are claiming in their ads, as long as your work for you and your business is going upwards
who cares about what flyers others are doing unless you feel that you might be missing out in which case join fasttract and see what your missing!

maxcarpets

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2008, 06:07:53 pm »
I'm not missing anything in fact i gain from it, ok my point is that i now have 6 people in my area using fast track, if that was me I would be a little upset, thats all. If it was me I would question weather alltec had my best interest at heart if they kept selling it to people on my doorstep, I would be dissapointed.  Its almost like selling a franchise and then giving several people the same area. I think there is a massive market for the no nonsense approach which works for me. If you are sitting in your lounge and you say to your self I must get my carpet cleaned, would you like

A/ To pick up the phone explain your circumstances and receive a quote then book the job in for a day that suits your busy schedule, or

B/ To pick up the phone explain your circumstances and be told I couldnt possibly offer a quote over the phone I must come and see and carry out a full inspection of your carpets at a time that probably isnt that good because you may be having tea, and then have someone come round with his laptop and lazer tape and then have 3 or 4 different quotes each one more expensive than the last, then have the same person come back at another date to carry out the work?

I know it is difficult to quote over the phone, but lets be honest we all know our local estates and we all know how big the average 3 bed semi is, even if it is heavily soiled it may take an extra halft an hour, but going to quote took at least double that. Again just my opinion, but if went to quote every job I would never get any work done! saying that I only quote up to 4 bed over the phone anything bigger and commercial I always visit first.

Justin

Neil Grainger

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2008, 06:45:59 pm »
Justin,

When you quote over the phone for a 4 bedroom house, how do you come to a size and price because 4 berooms around here can be very small but they can also be mansions. How many times have you turned up and they have been way out on size.

What about Insurance as some companies requirements say that you have to do a quote and survey before you do the Job and give them a written copy of the survey and quote.

Anything bigger than 3 bedroom gets a visit and if they ask for one as well i will go, why, because they get to meet me and really thats what I am selling. Thats what fast track teaches you. We can all clean well but the difference is the person. Some customers want that safety factor built in that they have met you and can trust you, after all you are going into places of their house where no one else ever goes, so trust is so important. And you do generally get a bigger Job Ticket for going to visit them first.

Also the presantation never fails to impress, the video's are great and make a difference, but also their are customers that just want you in and out and dont care. All I do is ask them if they want a visit first, some do and some dont.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2008, 07:45:22 pm »
My personal view is that Fast track builds confidence in you as with the literature it builds it into your customer, you then get a high price then you would or used to charge or you get more jobs. It also frees you up to concentrate on selling as it's all done for you just a few personal tweaks and then they do the mentoring like a personal trainer so you keep on the right track.

It's a good business builder for the blind business man, some just need a push or highly motivated need a single diretion but you'll find that the cleaners at the top end of the income ladder have used something like this to get them to the top.

Shaun

maxcarpets

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2008, 09:00:22 pm »
Neil,

4 bed on an estate say Woosehill, or Monteagle park 9 times out of 10 you can get it right, but yes their is an eliment of win some you loose some, but it really would be difficult if not impossible to get work done and quote every job for 3 vans. As I said it never works out less than £35 per hour so even if one of my lads do the job I've still made money. Yes I agree , it is nice to get high prices for every job, but on the other hand it is difficult to loose money on a job in this game. I've been in a house were I have broken all rules and when custy comes out with "you couldnt just run over this rug while your here" I have done so for £10 or £20, not often and I hate doing it, but then I can drive to the next house and take the same rug away and clean it for£70 or £80. Every job has different circumstances it just a matter of dealing with whats put in front of you on the day. I'm not sure if FT puts you in that mind set, I may be wrong, agsin just my opinon

Shaun,

Of course if a customer requires a visit then no problem, you sound as though you use FT, yes you do visit private rooms in house but surly they expect that if they want bedroom carpets cleaned? And as long as you make them feel comfitable upon arrival,  no problem.

Justin

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2008, 09:17:00 pm »
I bought the Joe Polish stuff about 8 or 9 years ago, it was very scrambled not like the fast track of today but I only paid £500 so it was a small gamble.

As I worked it out I found that the stuff it put in some kind of order worked well and if done systematically you got good quality work as it showed you where to get it and most of the year round providing you were disciplined.

I know of a cleaning company in the Midlands area who do go out to quote every job and they have 4 TMs, another in the NW who have probably more that do onsite quotes only.

It all depends on what you see as your wants an needs to run your business and know one can tell you that.

Shaun

Dave_Lee

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2008, 09:22:40 pm »
"The Most Thorough Clean, Ever Seen Or ITS FREE! thats whats on  my van. I am proud to be able to claim that, becuase thats what I believe. If you dont believe the same in your operation, I suggest you start doing things a whole lot different. Whether you or someone else believes me or not, is up to you, I could nt care less. I am shouting it loud and clear and should any of my customers disagree with that statement, I wouldnt charge them a penny, what about you. If you would offer the same or similar guarantee, WHY arent you shouting about it. If two or more are offering the same guarantee in the same area, thats a good thing, its not a USP (Unique selling point) its just a display of confidence in ones ability to do the job properly.
The CCs who create all the fuss against it, are the ones that feel intimidated by it, it makes them angry and they shout it down. Go clean with confidence and then you wont be so bothered by what other CCs are doing.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2008, 09:40:51 pm »
I agree Dave, when I first saw the headline I just thought of all of the negatives and customers will take advantage and ask for work for free picking up on small spots that are wear or are irremovable but these are all pointed out before I do any work, people are happy to have me to clean and recommend me.

I've never given anyone their money back as I've never been asked or had to but if I did I'd look at all of the times I've had extra jobs because of my guarantee.

My glass is half full not half empty fortune favours the brave.

Shaun

maxcarpets

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2008, 10:53:42 pm »
But again you are missing the point, you can have a go at me about this all you like but I have built up avery successful business without going with flow and being told what to do. FT governs how far you can go with your business, ok their is the odd exeption to this, but most are self employed carpet cleaners and not running a carpet cleaning business, big difference. Please do not take this persanally I am enjoying this topic, and value you views.

P.S I do not by any means feel threatened by FT as I said it workd in my favour, plus, I think it has now run its course.

I saw a lawn company the other day offering " The greenest lawn you have ever seen or its free" Where does it end?

Justin

carpet guy

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2008, 11:11:54 pm »
I always try to see things from a prospective clients view and that is one of the reasons I've never gone down the route Dave has chosen

When I first came across  Pirranha marketing about 9 years ago, it struck me, that a prospect might regard the "statement" as a cry of desperation, from a business which was relatively new and desperate to attract custom.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2008, 11:16:16 pm »
Starts and ends where you want it to. But one of the biggest grossing cc companies who deal with cleaning and not so much insurance work must be Howard Partridge's company in the US and he does his version of Joe Polish stuff, and you are going into $millions.

1 FT guy in the south does £200 000 on his own.

Depends on how you see success? I've had employees and I do the same turnover on my own as I did with 2 vans, it all depends on your hourly rate and your consistancy of days worked.

Shaun

carpetworx

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2008, 12:10:31 am »
I'm not missing anything in fact i gain from it, ok my point is that i now have 6 people in my area using fast track, if that was me I would be a little upset, thats all. If it was me I would question weather alltec had my best interest at heart if they kept selling it to people on my doorstep, I would be dissapointed.  Its almost like selling a franchise and then giving several people the same area. I think there is a massive market for the no nonsense approach which works for me. If you are sitting in your lounge and you say to your self I must get my carpet cleaned, would you like

A/ To pick up the phone explain your circumstances and receive a quote then book the job in for a day that suits your busy schedule, or

B/ To pick up the phone explain your circumstances and be told I couldnt possibly offer a quote over the phone I must come and see and carry out a full inspection of your carpets at a time that probably isnt that good because you may be having tea, and then have someone come round with his laptop and lazer tape and then have 3 or 4 different quotes each one more expensive than the last, then have the same person come back at another date to carry out the work?

I know it is difficult to quote over the phone, but lets be honest we all know our local estates and we all know how big the average 3 bed semi is, even if it is heavily soiled it may take an extra halft an hour, but going to quote took at least double that. Again just my opinion, but if went to quote every job I would never get any work done! saying that I only quote up to 4 bed over the phone anything bigger and commercial I always visit first.

Justin
here here!!

maxcarpets

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2008, 07:32:57 am »
I can see why FT would be great in America. I am not saying that its not successfull, but I am saying I think its a bit over used with too many claiming the same, it is in danger of looking bit to cheesy when you open YP and see pictues of loads of CC and their famalies claiming the deepest clean ever..........etc
very American

Justin

ianharper

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2008, 07:42:09 am »
hi guys

two points first, if it works and the pink leaflet has made millions for thousands of carpet cleaners keep using it. you should look to ride this wave as people don't realise its different cleaners so you will get the "brand effect"

Second, it always been my view that Robert should teach the rules behind direct response, like JP does, he takes a different view and goes for the if it view above. respect to him. but i think the FT guys miss out on being different form each other, and Robert losses out from the creative force of the group.

This creative part is what bought JP the pink leaflet in the first place. it was one of his members Jim that wrote it. JP offers to check everyones copy and they all send their leaflets and letters in for him to check. he then get to view all the new ideas and then uses them to market to his group.

good ideas are hard to come by so by using group tactics you put the power of the group to work for you. its mad JP very rich.

its direct response market rules that work and by applying your USP they become yours. not FT or JP's

Both ways your a winner.

Respect

Ian Harper

carpet guy

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2008, 08:13:44 am »
If you know nothing, or little about marketing, there is tons of information available and you can adapt it to your own business.  THAT IS ALL J POLISH DID

Some of the marketing strategies go back MORE THAN A CENTURY and virtually all have been adapted, or plageurised from direct selling organistions, like Double Glazing, Insurance, Car Sales.

Jim Wolverton's PINK FLYER is an adaption of other peoples flyers, which have been used in this country for at least 30 years.  The " hand written " notes in margins, have been in use by Insurance and others, with good effect, again for loner than JP has existed.

Not knocking J P, he should be admired for his success, but you should realise, none of it is NEW, but, no matter how much you know about marketing, if you don't use it, nothing will change.

rob

Dave_Lee

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2008, 09:01:35 am »
I think you dont really understand that FT guys do not do everything they are told. I was a CC for over 20 years before I did it. I only implemented a few of the Statergies, the guarrantee being one of them. I doubled my turnover within 18 months, and I am a lazy marketer. FT guys do not all do the same as each other. You take out of it what you want to and leave the rest. It would be pratically impossible to use ALL the stratergies. I did it because although my business already survived on mostly repeat and refferal work, I thought it could do with push from another direction. It proved the correct decision for me.
I think you may want to ask yourselves, why the FT and its people wind you so much that you feel a need to criticise it and them.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2008, 09:36:09 am »
Does everyone use Pink paper

How many are actually A3

The opinion of my board of Directors is that the print on A4 is too small.

You have about two or three seconds to make an impact on a leaflet

Question is does Pink Flyer do this.

Also what makes difference is it information line is it dustmites

Personally Ive gone away from Dustmites.  10 Reasons etc

But thats where you get problem if you start changing it you are changing concept.

Its a bit like reducing 200square feet of Carpet Cleaned for Free to Hallway Cleaned for Free

PaulKing

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2008, 09:40:59 am »
i'm lost what is the "pink flyer" where can i see one?
I do hope it's not rude ?
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

Doug Holloway

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2008, 09:49:22 am »
Hi Guys

Fastrack are encouraged to quote good prices which ia s a better business model than going cheap, how many sitting here are quuoting cheap but still have little work ?

Cheers

Doug