maxcarpets

When you walk into alltec do you......
« on: January 26, 2008, 07:25:51 pm »
When you walk into Alltec do you get met by a man holding a giant gold clock, swinging it backwards and forwards saying you are getting sleepy........ then the next thing you know you are walking around saying I OFFER THE DEEPEST CLEAN EVER OR ITS FREE, I OFFER AN IRON CLAD GUARANTEE, etc, etc, etc! I have had yet another fast track leaflet today, that is now 6 companies all offering the same nonsense in my area. If I pick up my local YP I will find even more? I would be so embarresed to advertise any of this, the feed back I get from my custys is that no one falls for it, just a way of doubling your price! Just my opinion,

Dear monitors please protect me from the onslaught I am about to receive by the hypnotised gang all droonong I OFFER THE DEEPEST CLEAN EVER OR ITS FREE, YOUR HOME IS NOT SAFE TO ENTER UNTILL I HAVE REMOVED ALL DUSTMITES, DUSTMITES WILL EAT YOU ALIVE etc etc!   

Justin

PaulKing

Re: When you walk into alltec do you......
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 08:04:07 pm »
hi max we don't have anyone here in newcastle doing the same however seeing as they have put it through your door and into your home, I believe you have the right to show us what has been left in your home!

go on post us a picture then we can all have a look and make appropriate comments.

Last time anyone tried the piraña system up north i believe they got a cease and deists letter from what had previously been a good customer.

p.s
look into my eyes!
not around my eyes!
look into my eyes!
your under!
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 08:27:20 pm »
I've seen two companies using pretty much the same pink flyer only with a different company name and blokes picture. So much for the unique sales proposition.

As you read this you can stop and think about a time when you were really creative and it was just like time stood still and the words just seemed to flow. So as you bring this thought to bear, writing unique compelling copy can be easy and natural to you right now. Curiously the more you realise this the more excited you can feel about the prospect.

Atleast that's what I keep telling myself over and over again.

gwrightson

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 08:41:05 pm »
We will make your carpets like new !! is another one  :)

amazes me how they can make a carpet that maybe 20 yrs old like new :-\

the deepest clean you will ever see, hhmmm  I often wonder when a custy sees these words , how they chose their c/c after all they have a good choice ;)

and , I see a c/c advertising the areas No1 !!!!   whos said? I would like to know !! 

would it just be them saying this?  or can anybody put this on their van?   :)

I might just put Englands No 1  ;D 

geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

maxcarpets

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 11:04:46 pm »
THE WORLDS NO1.

So if a cc with a porty and a cc with a T/M both buy into this fast track, who gives the deepest clean ever, I think the man with the porty should do it for free!

Justin

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 11:10:33 pm »
that's it go and upset the board on a Saturday night!

The most thorough clean is the clean that is the most thorough and if you go through the IICRC procedure you will get there wil a TM or a porti although a TM will get you back for tea time!

I've seen TMers clean carpets and they look good but not brilliant, it is down to the man at the wand.

Shaun

maxcarpets

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 07:22:52 am »
Sorry, I stepped out of line then. But you get my point, all the people advertising this amazing clean, one must be cleaning better than the other. I alo think the whole thing is a bit patronising, if you buy something in shop and dont like it you return it, they exchange it, if your still not happy you get a refund! Common business practise, not a selling point!

Justin

carpet guy

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 08:35:18 am »
Max

Marketing is about GRABBING prospects attention. What happens afterwards, depends, as Shaun rightly says, is down to the operator, BUT THEY ARE IN THE DOOR  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rob

maxcarpets

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 08:46:04 am »
I take that on board, but do you not think its a bit silly when every other cc is advertising the same promises, even our local CHEM-DRY Is Advertising THE DEEPEST CLEVEN EVER OR BLAH BLAH BLah Blah blah blah

Justin

from edge2edge

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 09:04:25 am »
Why dont we all just have on our vans these words.TRUST ME IM A CARPET CLEANER it seems to work for doctors(Alan from Swindon)

Mike Halliday

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 09:16:43 am »
you've got to remember when  a customers sees the headline 'the best clean ever.....' its the first time they have seen it, we are sick of it because we see it all the time (because we are in the business so always notice it) but its fresh to a new customer, even if they see it often they don't notice or remember it.

do you think a customers thinks  'how can they say that if they clean with a small portable, they cannot give the same clean as high performance quad vac machine, so can't give the best clean ever'

we think its silly, but we aren't looking to have our carpets cleaned

Mike

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

carpet guy

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 09:33:53 am »
Max

Why does it bother you? There are a couple of things you can do, to be successful in business

Have a unique product, or unique selling point, or, copy someone elses success.

rob

Doug Holloway

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 10:02:41 am »
Hi Guys

When it comes to some of our suppliers wilder 'technical' claims I am a bull buster but when it comes to my marketing I too use hyperbole.

It attracts customers attention and sounds better than 'this may be quite a good clean'

Cheers

Doug

carpet guy

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 10:26:59 am »
Why should the prospect phone YOU ?  What they want to know is simple..........they have a problem, can you resolve their problem, within what THEY  regard as resonable cost.

Can you get that across in your marketing?

rob

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 12:23:04 pm »
Do not know what you are worried about they will not get results if all using it.

Thought neil who live near you also uses it? but could be wrong.

Carpet Cleaners are not Creative look at number of people promoting Eco Cleaning

There is a chap in this are called andy who uses the forum

Thought he was creative tapping into the Sandringham Connection and calling his company Crown and treating carpets like Royalty

i have heard that the Sandingham Estate manager has issued a decree for his head to be chopped off. ;D ;D ;D

M.Acorn

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 12:43:40 pm »
Got a couple around this way using that slogan ! one business has recently been sold the only thing that changed on their ads was the name ! same free phone no etc of ten carpet facts that everyone should know before getting a cleaner in ! bla bla bla

I seem to be getting a lot of booking from his area ha ha
What goes around comes around

Neil Grainger

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 02:03:05 pm »
Ian

I use some of it, not all of it but it does work. The pink leaflet is good but you have to make it your own. Justin has a problem in his area because their are lots of them.

But 5 miles down the road only 1 other company uses it. in the books south of the M4 between Winchester and Guildford so the market is not flooded with this stuff. Theirs a company in Bradford that use it and they are Fast track best performers.

Dont let it upset you Justin, just take anything that is good from it and use it yourself.  That art is to use whats good and dump the rest.

I am in the middle of re-writing my Website to update it and move away from this but this is only because after 5 years I feel that I know more about marketing and cleaning than i did when I got involved in fast track.  Its give you confidence and you must remember that a lot of guys getting involved in the CC industry have no marketing or business ability and the one things FT gives you is that.

Cheers

Neil

maxcarpets

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 04:15:25 pm »
I think your missing my point, it doesnt really make any difference to my business but if I had brought into it I would be gutted to find every other in YP claiming the same as me. I have built my business doing everything you are advised not to do. I put prices on adverstising, I quote over the phone, I only do a few leaflets every now & again, I use the words, "sale" and "discount"  I have built up 3 CC vans & a Wheelie bin cleaning van and I am hoping to add another TM by summer, my best sales person is one of my local fast trackers I get more work from his advertising then any other form of advertisng. It just baffles me why so many people buy into it. Surley the question must be asked to Mr Mckenna, sorry Mr Saunders "do I have anyone local offering the same service"? I would love to know if anyone has asked this. Sorry for moaning but it is quite a good topic!   And Sleep!

Justin

Doug Holloway

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 04:32:02 pm »
Hi Guys

Sopme years ago i posted about being surrounded by Fastrackers and imitators.

This worked well for me as I contra advertised, i.e did the opposite and had a no bull, clear, to the point ad which worked well.

It would be interesting to see if FT has a standrad internet template.

Cheers

Doug

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 04:35:19 pm »
Justin

Ive now elevated you to marketing Genius you have overtaken MH he only has one truck.

maxcarpets

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2008, 05:00:33 pm »
No No No, not me. I have just learned over the years that you can not stick to always getting the highest price, dont get me wrong when its their grab it with both hands, but as well as trying to be Richard Branson you have too be a bit Del boy as well and do a few deals here and their. I think FT brain washes you a bit into hanging for the best price at all costs, I disagree I think you must be prepared to work for anything from £35 to £100 per hour, because if your like me you probably wouldnt earn even £35 per hour anywhere else. As I said before, just my opinion, but my opinion his helped along by 3 kids and a wife to feed! plus that bloody mortgage!

Justin

COLIN BRIGHT

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2008, 05:03:50 pm »
as far as im concerned, it does'nt matter what others are claiming in their ads, as long as your work for you and your business is going upwards
who cares about what flyers others are doing unless you feel that you might be missing out in which case join fasttract and see what your missing!

maxcarpets

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2008, 06:07:53 pm »
I'm not missing anything in fact i gain from it, ok my point is that i now have 6 people in my area using fast track, if that was me I would be a little upset, thats all. If it was me I would question weather alltec had my best interest at heart if they kept selling it to people on my doorstep, I would be dissapointed.  Its almost like selling a franchise and then giving several people the same area. I think there is a massive market for the no nonsense approach which works for me. If you are sitting in your lounge and you say to your self I must get my carpet cleaned, would you like

A/ To pick up the phone explain your circumstances and receive a quote then book the job in for a day that suits your busy schedule, or

B/ To pick up the phone explain your circumstances and be told I couldnt possibly offer a quote over the phone I must come and see and carry out a full inspection of your carpets at a time that probably isnt that good because you may be having tea, and then have someone come round with his laptop and lazer tape and then have 3 or 4 different quotes each one more expensive than the last, then have the same person come back at another date to carry out the work?

I know it is difficult to quote over the phone, but lets be honest we all know our local estates and we all know how big the average 3 bed semi is, even if it is heavily soiled it may take an extra halft an hour, but going to quote took at least double that. Again just my opinion, but if went to quote every job I would never get any work done! saying that I only quote up to 4 bed over the phone anything bigger and commercial I always visit first.

Justin

Neil Grainger

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2008, 06:45:59 pm »
Justin,

When you quote over the phone for a 4 bedroom house, how do you come to a size and price because 4 berooms around here can be very small but they can also be mansions. How many times have you turned up and they have been way out on size.

What about Insurance as some companies requirements say that you have to do a quote and survey before you do the Job and give them a written copy of the survey and quote.

Anything bigger than 3 bedroom gets a visit and if they ask for one as well i will go, why, because they get to meet me and really thats what I am selling. Thats what fast track teaches you. We can all clean well but the difference is the person. Some customers want that safety factor built in that they have met you and can trust you, after all you are going into places of their house where no one else ever goes, so trust is so important. And you do generally get a bigger Job Ticket for going to visit them first.

Also the presantation never fails to impress, the video's are great and make a difference, but also their are customers that just want you in and out and dont care. All I do is ask them if they want a visit first, some do and some dont.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2008, 07:45:22 pm »
My personal view is that Fast track builds confidence in you as with the literature it builds it into your customer, you then get a high price then you would or used to charge or you get more jobs. It also frees you up to concentrate on selling as it's all done for you just a few personal tweaks and then they do the mentoring like a personal trainer so you keep on the right track.

It's a good business builder for the blind business man, some just need a push or highly motivated need a single diretion but you'll find that the cleaners at the top end of the income ladder have used something like this to get them to the top.

Shaun

maxcarpets

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2008, 09:00:22 pm »
Neil,

4 bed on an estate say Woosehill, or Monteagle park 9 times out of 10 you can get it right, but yes their is an eliment of win some you loose some, but it really would be difficult if not impossible to get work done and quote every job for 3 vans. As I said it never works out less than £35 per hour so even if one of my lads do the job I've still made money. Yes I agree , it is nice to get high prices for every job, but on the other hand it is difficult to loose money on a job in this game. I've been in a house were I have broken all rules and when custy comes out with "you couldnt just run over this rug while your here" I have done so for £10 or £20, not often and I hate doing it, but then I can drive to the next house and take the same rug away and clean it for£70 or £80. Every job has different circumstances it just a matter of dealing with whats put in front of you on the day. I'm not sure if FT puts you in that mind set, I may be wrong, agsin just my opinon

Shaun,

Of course if a customer requires a visit then no problem, you sound as though you use FT, yes you do visit private rooms in house but surly they expect that if they want bedroom carpets cleaned? And as long as you make them feel comfitable upon arrival,  no problem.

Justin

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2008, 09:17:00 pm »
I bought the Joe Polish stuff about 8 or 9 years ago, it was very scrambled not like the fast track of today but I only paid £500 so it was a small gamble.

As I worked it out I found that the stuff it put in some kind of order worked well and if done systematically you got good quality work as it showed you where to get it and most of the year round providing you were disciplined.

I know of a cleaning company in the Midlands area who do go out to quote every job and they have 4 TMs, another in the NW who have probably more that do onsite quotes only.

It all depends on what you see as your wants an needs to run your business and know one can tell you that.

Shaun

Dave_Lee

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2008, 09:22:40 pm »
"The Most Thorough Clean, Ever Seen Or ITS FREE! thats whats on  my van. I am proud to be able to claim that, becuase thats what I believe. If you dont believe the same in your operation, I suggest you start doing things a whole lot different. Whether you or someone else believes me or not, is up to you, I could nt care less. I am shouting it loud and clear and should any of my customers disagree with that statement, I wouldnt charge them a penny, what about you. If you would offer the same or similar guarantee, WHY arent you shouting about it. If two or more are offering the same guarantee in the same area, thats a good thing, its not a USP (Unique selling point) its just a display of confidence in ones ability to do the job properly.
The CCs who create all the fuss against it, are the ones that feel intimidated by it, it makes them angry and they shout it down. Go clean with confidence and then you wont be so bothered by what other CCs are doing.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2008, 09:40:51 pm »
I agree Dave, when I first saw the headline I just thought of all of the negatives and customers will take advantage and ask for work for free picking up on small spots that are wear or are irremovable but these are all pointed out before I do any work, people are happy to have me to clean and recommend me.

I've never given anyone their money back as I've never been asked or had to but if I did I'd look at all of the times I've had extra jobs because of my guarantee.

My glass is half full not half empty fortune favours the brave.

Shaun

maxcarpets

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2008, 10:53:42 pm »
But again you are missing the point, you can have a go at me about this all you like but I have built up avery successful business without going with flow and being told what to do. FT governs how far you can go with your business, ok their is the odd exeption to this, but most are self employed carpet cleaners and not running a carpet cleaning business, big difference. Please do not take this persanally I am enjoying this topic, and value you views.

P.S I do not by any means feel threatened by FT as I said it workd in my favour, plus, I think it has now run its course.

I saw a lawn company the other day offering " The greenest lawn you have ever seen or its free" Where does it end?

Justin

carpet guy

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2008, 11:11:54 pm »
I always try to see things from a prospective clients view and that is one of the reasons I've never gone down the route Dave has chosen

When I first came across  Pirranha marketing about 9 years ago, it struck me, that a prospect might regard the "statement" as a cry of desperation, from a business which was relatively new and desperate to attract custom.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2008, 11:16:16 pm »
Starts and ends where you want it to. But one of the biggest grossing cc companies who deal with cleaning and not so much insurance work must be Howard Partridge's company in the US and he does his version of Joe Polish stuff, and you are going into $millions.

1 FT guy in the south does £200 000 on his own.

Depends on how you see success? I've had employees and I do the same turnover on my own as I did with 2 vans, it all depends on your hourly rate and your consistancy of days worked.

Shaun

carpetworx

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2008, 12:10:31 am »
I'm not missing anything in fact i gain from it, ok my point is that i now have 6 people in my area using fast track, if that was me I would be a little upset, thats all. If it was me I would question weather alltec had my best interest at heart if they kept selling it to people on my doorstep, I would be dissapointed.  Its almost like selling a franchise and then giving several people the same area. I think there is a massive market for the no nonsense approach which works for me. If you are sitting in your lounge and you say to your self I must get my carpet cleaned, would you like

A/ To pick up the phone explain your circumstances and receive a quote then book the job in for a day that suits your busy schedule, or

B/ To pick up the phone explain your circumstances and be told I couldnt possibly offer a quote over the phone I must come and see and carry out a full inspection of your carpets at a time that probably isnt that good because you may be having tea, and then have someone come round with his laptop and lazer tape and then have 3 or 4 different quotes each one more expensive than the last, then have the same person come back at another date to carry out the work?

I know it is difficult to quote over the phone, but lets be honest we all know our local estates and we all know how big the average 3 bed semi is, even if it is heavily soiled it may take an extra halft an hour, but going to quote took at least double that. Again just my opinion, but if went to quote every job I would never get any work done! saying that I only quote up to 4 bed over the phone anything bigger and commercial I always visit first.

Justin
here here!!

maxcarpets

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2008, 07:32:57 am »
I can see why FT would be great in America. I am not saying that its not successfull, but I am saying I think its a bit over used with too many claiming the same, it is in danger of looking bit to cheesy when you open YP and see pictues of loads of CC and their famalies claiming the deepest clean ever..........etc
very American

Justin

ianharper

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2008, 07:42:09 am »
hi guys

two points first, if it works and the pink leaflet has made millions for thousands of carpet cleaners keep using it. you should look to ride this wave as people don't realise its different cleaners so you will get the "brand effect"

Second, it always been my view that Robert should teach the rules behind direct response, like JP does, he takes a different view and goes for the if it view above. respect to him. but i think the FT guys miss out on being different form each other, and Robert losses out from the creative force of the group.

This creative part is what bought JP the pink leaflet in the first place. it was one of his members Jim that wrote it. JP offers to check everyones copy and they all send their leaflets and letters in for him to check. he then get to view all the new ideas and then uses them to market to his group.

good ideas are hard to come by so by using group tactics you put the power of the group to work for you. its mad JP very rich.

its direct response market rules that work and by applying your USP they become yours. not FT or JP's

Both ways your a winner.

Respect

Ian Harper

carpet guy

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2008, 08:13:44 am »
If you know nothing, or little about marketing, there is tons of information available and you can adapt it to your own business.  THAT IS ALL J POLISH DID

Some of the marketing strategies go back MORE THAN A CENTURY and virtually all have been adapted, or plageurised from direct selling organistions, like Double Glazing, Insurance, Car Sales.

Jim Wolverton's PINK FLYER is an adaption of other peoples flyers, which have been used in this country for at least 30 years.  The " hand written " notes in margins, have been in use by Insurance and others, with good effect, again for loner than JP has existed.

Not knocking J P, he should be admired for his success, but you should realise, none of it is NEW, but, no matter how much you know about marketing, if you don't use it, nothing will change.

rob

Dave_Lee

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2008, 09:01:35 am »
I think you dont really understand that FT guys do not do everything they are told. I was a CC for over 20 years before I did it. I only implemented a few of the Statergies, the guarrantee being one of them. I doubled my turnover within 18 months, and I am a lazy marketer. FT guys do not all do the same as each other. You take out of it what you want to and leave the rest. It would be pratically impossible to use ALL the stratergies. I did it because although my business already survived on mostly repeat and refferal work, I thought it could do with push from another direction. It proved the correct decision for me.
I think you may want to ask yourselves, why the FT and its people wind you so much that you feel a need to criticise it and them.
Dave.
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2008, 09:36:09 am »
Does everyone use Pink paper

How many are actually A3

The opinion of my board of Directors is that the print on A4 is too small.

You have about two or three seconds to make an impact on a leaflet

Question is does Pink Flyer do this.

Also what makes difference is it information line is it dustmites

Personally Ive gone away from Dustmites.  10 Reasons etc

But thats where you get problem if you start changing it you are changing concept.

Its a bit like reducing 200square feet of Carpet Cleaned for Free to Hallway Cleaned for Free

PaulKing

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2008, 09:40:59 am »
i'm lost what is the "pink flyer" where can i see one?
I do hope it's not rude ?
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

Doug Holloway

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2008, 09:49:22 am »
Hi Guys

Fastrack are encouraged to quote good prices which ia s a better business model than going cheap, how many sitting here are quuoting cheap but still have little work ?

Cheers

Doug

maxcarpets

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2008, 10:07:39 am »
Dave,

I am not and have no need to critise FT neither does it wind me up. I will say it again, if I had invested in FT I would be gutted that 6 other people were using the same marketing as me in my area. I know it is not all the same, but at first glimpse it looks the same. Pink, picture in same place, same heading. I have never needed to use anyone else marketing but I must stress I am the kind of person that never switches off I'm sure I made loads of mistakes and I'm sure I will make more however, I have a burning desire for success and motivation has never been a problem for me. I work 6 days a week and when needed 7, I have great loyal guys that share my desire and we all get a nice living. I seem to detect a touch of, "But how can you succeed with FT"? It can be done.

Justin

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2008, 01:19:42 pm »
We donot know what price Justin goes  at.

It is obvious to all he has a workable business model.

But we are all individuals and its personality  and drive that makes it work. Over a period of many years.

maxcarpets

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2008, 02:56:05 pm »
Thanks Ian, it is nice to see that someone recognises that I have acheived doing it my way, and to be told If I am not prepared to have the FT slogan on my vans I should think about doing something else is so ridiculas that I refuse to comment on this anymore. Brain washed I rest my case.

Justin

Neil Grainger

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2008, 03:24:13 pm »
I'm not brainwashed Justin honest, Some of it is good and some is very bad but those that follow it to the letter and do well are going to sing its praises.

It is silly for people to tell you how to do it if you have a successful business without doing it the FT way.

It has helped me be more proffesional but I would not do it now or in the future because their are to many and it has been oversold. Robert Saunders has milked it to much, why do you think that Horrible Woman Anthea Turner is now their Mascot.  Same stuff different package for twice the price but it will work for some of them. you never find out who fails because they just go out of business.

maxcarpets

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2008, 03:33:54 pm »
Cheers Neil,

The whole point of this was in fact to say how unfare I think it is that FT is over sold as you rightly put it, and I've never even looked into it for myself but I came under attack for having a view. I shall remeber to speak when spoken to, and if I dont agree I shall just keep quite.

Justin

klinger (spa clean)

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2008, 05:52:49 pm »
CARLSBURG CARPET CLEANING probably the deepest clean in the world...bit fairer I think ;D
klinger of spa clean.

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2008, 06:01:53 pm »
Hi Justin

Just to say I think you and I are on the right lines. I like to do my own thing rather than follow a formula. It works for me.

If anything I tend to downplay how clean/good the job will be, then when the custy comes to review if they are over the moon. Now I know in myself that I will have done a really good job and what is possible but I would always feel as if I was setting myself up for a fall if I used the "best clean ever..." route.

I've heard enough times from first time users of my business to know that I am doing a better than expected job and that I will be used again and referred on. And that at the end of the day is all we really want. (And is certainly cheaper than spending lots of money acquiring new customers rather than servicing existing customers.)

SO providing the quality of your cleaning backs up your sales pitch then you're winning.

Cheers.

Roger
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

mark shannon

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2008, 06:31:34 pm »
I think the "best clean ever " is an ad  headline to get in the door
and then custys expectations are lowered on the survey.

Dave_Lee

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2008, 07:14:19 pm »
Justin,
I am not having a go at you. I respect your opinion, we simply differ. I also have never siad you NEED FT to succeed. I was a succesful CC for over 20 years before I even heard about it. All I am saying is it helped me and many more guys that I know. As for using the guarantee, whether it seems ridiculous to anyone doesnt matter. We are all entitled to promote our own businesses in the best possible light, and if some choose to use that banner, whats wrong or unfair about that. Its up to those others to think of something better. Lastly if you think CCs that have done the FT are involved in some kind of cult obsession that have been brainwashed as you say - well I'm sorry but that suggestion is just so laughable you obviously just havent got a clue as to what its all about, but that's nothing new because all attacks on  the FT, come from people who havent done it.
Dave.
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.

maxcarpets

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2008, 07:26:48 pm »
Dave,

I consider myself told off, and concede I know nothing.

Justin

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2008, 07:47:23 pm »
JUSTIN

the adverts say increase your business by 50k or your money back

So you could give it a go.  also you get to meet Anthea.

Dave_Lee

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2008, 07:49:42 pm »
Justin,
Lets not fall out. I didnt say you know nothing, just nothing about the FT. What I dont get is why people attack those who have done it. Why do they do that, and why do some people criticise CCs for being members of the NCCA, why?
Dave.
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.

Neil Grainger

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2008, 07:52:51 pm »
Why would you want to meet here, Old News. She's just be sacked from the BBC for being to old, and thats Radio 3.

They could have got someone better, What about Kim and Aggie.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2008, 07:53:19 pm »
Ian, when they say increase your profit by 50k then it'll be worth a try. Anyone can increase business by 50k

Neil Grainger

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2008, 08:04:16 pm »
dave, could you tell me what percentage of CC's on FT are making money and the numbers that fall by the wayside. You can never get these figures from Alltec, I dropped out because of the extra money you need to spend to make their marketing work.

Your never told that you need another £10,000 to make it work, so for the new start thats just not an option.

Dave_Lee

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2008, 08:25:29 pm »
I have no idea about the percentages. I was only in it for the first year, got what I wanted out of it, and that was that, about five and a half years ago. The guarrantee is not the FT its just one of many stratergies. It does cost money to market, thats for sure but everyone knows that. Some do carried away with it in my opinion, but I have no right to criticise them for that, it their choice.
I do defend FT, especially when someone comes out and calls us "the hypnotised gang all drooonong." thats just plain rude.
Dave.
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2008, 08:39:50 pm »
FT isn't a franchise so there are no exclusive areas, if you and your neighbour do it so be it but the same can be said if your neighbour advertises the same ads and van design the same as you anyway.

FT is a focus on getting the right customers to pay your prices not the 'street' prices ie if you go to a local rag and most of the cc are doing a suite for £50 then how do you set yourself apart? by doing something different!

McDonalds make burgers and so do TGIFridays which one is cheaper? which one do you think will taste the best? but to the outsider it's just a burger but are TGIFridays offering a Fast Track style of burger?? ( because I can tell you it will be far more expensive) but you will get dazzled by service.

Shaun

maxcarpets

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2008, 07:37:40 am »
I am aware of all these points, I know its not a franchise and the hypnotised bit was meant to be a joke, I thought that was plain to see. My original point was actually defending people who are prepared to invest 10K plus, in this but the same package can be sold to their next door neighbour, in my opinion and it seems only my opinion I think this is wrong.

Dave I have couple of questions for you

1/ Did you go from 0 to Porsche in 6 months?

2/ Are you the next carpet cleaning millionare?

Justin

carpet guy

« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2008, 08:12:05 am »
Justin
You're like a dog with a bone, you're asking questions which have been answered pretty reasonably, but not giving the anawer YOU WANT TO HEAR so you keep asking.

First, let me say that two of the most successful carpet cleaners in the U K are users of the F T marketing from Alltec.

ANY MARKETING COMPANY IN THE WORLD wants to sell to as many people as possible, consider the seminars, where they get 1000 plus, paying £1000 plus for tickets.

No matter what industry wer're talking about, THERE IS NO FINITE NUMBER OF PROSPECTS.

It's also a mathematical fact, that the 80% / 20% rule will apply and from every purchaser of ANY marketing plan, only 20% will implement what they have learned and  only 20% of the 20% will follow it fully.

So, if 100 people attend a seminar / purchase a marketing aid, out of the original 100, only 4 will follow the plan religously, while 16 will follow it, but only when it fits in with their past experiences and 80 will " cherry pick "or " do what they have always done.

MILLIONAIRE

If you generate enough income from carpet cleaning and invest the profits correctly, YOU COULD BECOME A MILLIONAIRE

There's a regular poster on here, who's heading in that direction, might even be there!

murky

« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2008, 02:29:04 pm »
Interesting thread this.

One point not realised by peoiple is that EVERY  pink letter I see says that they have been doing this since 1986.

Or 'my business has been going for 20 years'.

Well thats tosh. I have seen them come and go over 15 years, I know my opposition!

There are very few people who have been doing this for 20 years, I saw a letter in a regular custys house the other day, we were discussing it and the custy said to me he must have started just after he finished his paper round he was so young.

And also you must have been doing a cr***y standard of work to not have a decent data base and have to go on a FT course to try and get work.

It would be interesting to find out what the trading standards people would say about it.

Murky

Dave_Lee

« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2008, 03:01:11 pm »
Justin,
I will answer your two questions. The answer to both is, no. I had been in this business for 23 years when I did the FT, and am now in year 28, I was 57 at that time, and so it came a bit late for me. I hadnt done any advertising at all for arouind 13 years prior to the FT, I was busy all the time with repeats and refferals, where ALL my work came from. I had family reasons for the need to get more out of what I was doing financially, so I booked myself on the FT. As I have said the answer to your questions is, No, but then they never said I would. I am very satisfied from what I got for my money, even though I implemented only the parts of the programme, that I was comfortable with. I doubled my turnover and profit far faster than I would have done without it and their fee was repaid to me many times over. I have gone from strengh to strengh since, and dont regret a thing.
As to what you say is the main point you were trying to get across. We have a number of CCs, in our area using the same banner, doesnt bother me. In my own town, one guys banner is "Carpet Cleaning at Its Best" saying the same as me, but differently phrased. I know him and we get on well. Of all those using the FT banner, only a few have actually done the FT, some have just purchased the Piranah stuff, others have simply copied the guarrantee.
If its is such a stupid banner, that custys dont fall for, one that puts them off, as you infer, then I would have thought that yourself and all that think the same, would welcome all that do show the same banner - in fact more the merrier, so I cant see the problem.
Dave.
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2008, 03:06:19 pm »
When i was in sheffield I went in TCIFridays spent  a load of dosh was not overwhelmed by service but agree burger marginally better than Big Mac

what anoyed me I spent a considerable sum feeding family that day at TGI Fridays in fact i was exited about going to TGI we do have them in the sticks.

But when I went back a little later in the day they would not let me go to the loo, had to go to Premier lodge instead.

Back to Justin

I think its time for him to explain his marketing statrgey and what prices he is acheiving. As I said before he has a model that works

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2008, 04:51:17 pm »
Perhaps TGI's wasn't a good example I've been there and wasn't impresses but you get the idea though.

Shaun

« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2008, 04:56:56 pm »
They only accept paying undesirables. ;D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2008, 05:01:31 pm »
I can put up with being an undesirable but "paying aswell!"

Shaun

maxcarpets

« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2008, 06:07:53 pm »
Dave,

Again the porsche etc was a joke I couldnt resist. But I will ask are more sensible question honest answer yes or no. Would you be happy to have 6 other companies using the same pink flyer as you on a  (very) regular basis in the same homes that you target.

Ian,

As I said between £35 - £100 per hour. I cater for different circumstances and I cant say no, something is better than nothing ( at times )

WOW this thread has some legs.

Justin

Dave_Lee

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2008, 07:30:47 pm »
Justin,
Answer - No. I doubt you have that much a concentration of Fast Trackers, must be copiers. They cant all be aware of it, can they, or they would try something else.
Dave.
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.

*paul_moss

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2008, 07:45:04 pm »
Fast track is not just about the pink flyer or marketing banner it is a full support programme from start to finish and covers everything from trainning,sales,marketing,profit and loss and guidence/support.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

maxcarpets

« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2008, 07:49:11 pm »
I KNOW! Sorry, but what I am saying is that 6 different people use FT marketing through my front door on a regular basis, Pink flyer, Picture of proprietor, The most thorough clean ever etc and if I had invested in it I wouldnt be happy, thats all. Can no one agree with me that ( if this has come from alltec ) it is over selling?

Justin

garyj

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2008, 08:06:44 pm »
I've got a Fast Tracker near me, I'm glad he uses his picture on all his literature because he's the ugliest git I've ever seen.

But if nothing else, it has made people get off their bums and market themselves, you only have to look through some sections on here to see most don't have a clue how to market or even write a letter.

The first machine I bought was from Alltec, so I was bombarded with sales stuff from them. In my opinion if you have got half a brain, then there is MORE infomation on this site than the whole of FT!! The info on here just wasn't around 5 years ago and there are some fantastic marketing books around now, go and raid Waterstones business section, I spent £85.00 last week, keeps me quiet at night  :P.

If I had paid 2 or 3 grand for a training package I would be really cheesed off that someone up the road was using it.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2008, 08:08:28 pm »
If you can imagine that 1 company does it and says to his mate "it's good this pink flyer" then his mate thinks I'll do it and so on of course it could happen, imagine if your mate says "is carpet cleaning good money?" then he and some others start up at the same time, in the US there's a CC around every corner we are only 10 years behind.

Shaun

Dave_Lee

« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2008, 08:20:42 pm »
Justin,
Yes, I can understand that, fortunately, I dont have that same problem, in my area. I personally have never blanket leafleted the pink flyer, because I designed a better one myself, (incorating some of the pink flyers aspects) that works really well on the few occasions that I get to put some out.
Alltec have no control over these things, they simply supply (at a cost) the stratergies, it is up to the individual, as to the extent and manner in which he applies or doesnt apply them. He is coached and informed on the best ways to do so, but how much notice he takes, is his decision.
There are a lot of CCs out there, who have got their hands on the stuff, but dont understand the concept of how to use them to their best potential and will never get the same results.
Dave.
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.

« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2008, 08:25:35 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong but the FT system seems to focus on high end residential-which is fine.

But I don't hear too much about getting commercial work. Is that right?

The reason I ask is that despite this being an exellent forum and people are very helpful with cleaning stuff and marketing to joe public, the marketing to commercial clients and all the nitty gritty stuff like contracts etc is less forthcoming.

If FT could propel someone into the commercial arena it might be worth a shot, if you haven't worked it out already.

garyj

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2008, 08:44:45 pm »
What do you call a good response Dave, I've put out 400 leaflets in the last 24 hours and have 4 bookings and I am disappointed with that. I wanted to change my copy as I had a brain wave over the weekend ( which is rare ), but by the time I phoned the printers yesterday they were already done. So I have 15,000 leaflets to get rid of before I can put my new exciting idea into practice.

Mike, my main business is the commercial cleaning sector and believe me, these people don't care about their carpets, they get them cleaned once in a blue moon. I did manage to book a few which paid for nearly half my Ninja in the first week I had it, but I bet you I'm not back into them for another year. I've got a company that spends nearly 2k a month to have their bins emptied and the place vacuumed everyday, but they won't shell out to have the carpets cleaned!!

« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2008, 08:50:46 pm »
Gary

You are joking arn't you 1:100 response and you are dissapointed?

If that's true the no wonder so many are using them.

re commercial 2k to empty the bins? Councils are the latterday highwaymen.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2008, 08:54:20 pm »
Gary you seem to have go a good idea of what business is all about but you must know your customers wher are you in the pricing market? top. middle or bottom? to get 1% response is very good but if the average spend is £30 then it's not as good as first made out.

This is only a pie in the sky figure but you see my point?

Infact I have a very good idea for (respectfully) lower than average pricing structures if you are interested?

Shaun

garyj

« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2008, 09:02:50 pm »
Its not FT Mike, it's my own leaflet.

;D ;D, empty the waste bins next to the desks, OK it's a little bit more work than I let on, but you get the idea.

Yes Shaun I am interested in your idea. I would admit I am not in the 'high' league, but to me 40 quid an hour is good money, most of my overheads are taken care of by the commercial cleaning side, so I see carpet cleaning as a welcome bonus.

The average spend for the 4 jobs is £85.00. I am comfortable with 85 pound for a sofa and I'm comfortable with £75.00 for HSL and dining room. I hope to pick up many more customers from these leaflets in the coming months, but so far I am disappointed with 1%. but then again you know me, I'd be disappointed with 50% because that would mean I still wasted half my time leafleting  ;D

Dave_Lee

« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2008, 09:13:18 pm »
I get on average over a two year period, 15 jobs per 1,000 leaflets directly, plus a few where the leafllets are that are passed on to others. I say two years because people do keep them, and that is the main pick up period. Initially after a drop, I have known it be 10 jobs after only 200 going out, at other times, initially it has only been 1 in 1,000. I always look at it, that if I get more than the accepted norm .001% then its a bonus.
I dont get time to put them out as much these days, and though I know I could improve it further, my leaflet works very well for me. I have only let one other CC see it and allowed him to copy it. He reports that its results are the best hes had with a leaflet. John (Shsh).
Dave.
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2008, 09:22:31 pm »
One of the tings I have found trying to do an infotype leaflet as advocated by Paul Gorman  is it takes time to come up with your own wors and template.

The advantage of The JPpack is its done for you

What i do not like is when you try to make adjustments perhaps put your own words in one of the boxes  the entire thing gets thrown out of kilter and you spend hours trying to reajust .

Perhaps leaflet templates are more stable, or perhaps there is a way to lock the text boxes  Jenny or myself do not know about.

Also applies to our own design bit cheesed off starting again every time I want to change words font size etc.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2008, 09:35:04 pm »
Ian why not set out a word doc blank page then re type items into boxes change them around to suit a bit like they do on a newspaper editing board and then that's it. Make sure you do it in portrate so they read it like a newpaper not a photo album and columns as it breaks up the text.

Shaun

garyj

« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2008, 09:39:20 pm »
In my opinion info type leaflets do not work as well as they should, the 'long advert' is very American and I think people are now associating them with spam emails. But at least you're doing something!

Direct, straight to the point, bullet points have and always will be the best way to market. If people want to read more then we have the advantage these days of directing them to a website.

Maybe it's just about being in the right place at the right time and my leaflets would have got the same or better response if they were just two lines long saying "Carpet Cleaner Needs Work, Pleeeze fone me now or my kids will starve".

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2008, 10:03:25 pm »
Gary most FT leaflets are trying to sell something at a higher price so need to 'woow' the customer into calling and think they are getting a better service than the other companies that offer cleaning.

The other leaflet with the starving kids is more desperate so the expectation is different.

Shaun

PS did you get my email?

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2008, 10:50:50 pm »
Ian why not set out a word doc blank page then re type items into boxes change them around to suit a bit like they do on a newspaper editing board and then that's it. Make sure you do it in portrate so they read it like a newpaper not a photo album and columns as it breaks up the text.

Shaun

Will give it a try but if I overfill box the others will move out of alignment I think but I will set several dummies up and see what happens

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2008, 11:04:09 pm »
is it the pink flyer?

Shaun

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2008, 07:17:48 am »
Yes  but its the one with dustmites etc  on the disc  butwhen you start to change the wording etc the entire thing goes out of kilter.

Besides diffrent wording we also increase size of type as 10p is a bit small.

So we cut number of words down.

i do not think its possible but I want boxes to remain stable and I just fill them with words and images other than dustmites etc

We know using a letter style leaflet

Mike Halliday

« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2008, 08:00:18 am »
how much does the pink flyer cost to print & deliver?

the best leaflet in the world won't get a customer to call if their carpets are'nt dirty, I'd rather spend £500 on printing & delivering 20,000 A5 white leaflets than 10,000 pink flyers.

Dave_Lee

« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2008, 08:54:46 am »
Ian,
You must have a pirate copy of the pink flyer. I can alter mine as much as I like without any problems.
Dave.
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2008, 03:57:02 pm »
No its a genuine disc 2001 aquired from Mr A, along with all the other stuff  who I think got it from Mr B For whic I paid good money.

Agreed through other means I have Mr W , version Mr C version and  Mr R  version  plus the one I got from another Mr B

And i would expect these to be unstable but its the disc one I use.
Plus the ones Mr S handed out 

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2008, 04:24:48 pm »
how much does the pink flyer cost to print & deliver?

the best leaflet in the world won't get a customer to call if their carpets are'nt dirty, I'd rather spend £500 on printing & delivering 20,000 A5 white leaflets than 10,000 pink flyers.

A4 £7 black and white £ 8,50 yellow per 100k

A3 Yellow £12

« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2008, 04:57:57 pm »
This pink thing about the finacial times, was that some myth put about cos I can't see it would make a jot of difference. In fact you would stand out if you had it on yellow or green, anything other than everyone elses pink.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2008, 05:53:07 pm »
Sorry Ian don't understand your figures, (I'm just a simple lad, not very brite ;) )

« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2008, 06:56:53 pm »
Sorry Ian don't understand your figures, (I'm just a simple lad, not very brite ;) )

That makes 3 of us cos don't understand either. ;)

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2008, 08:29:26 pm »
It costs me in paper and toner £7 to do  1000 a4 in black and white

£ 8 .50  per thousand on Yellow Pink or Green paper including toner  A4

So 10k costs £85

Thats printed two sides A4

Do not do A3  very often should have said £22 per thousand

I used to do them on copy printer ( Rotagraph )   but now use Photocopier when it breaks down I get another one on ebay I tend to run them off on Saturday or Sunday