Mike Halliday

Re: How much for a suite?
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2006, 10:04:48 am »
I can clean a suite in 2 hours at a push.

one thing I've noticed using a cfr tool, a freshwater rinse & 3 airmovers is you don't need to do lots of dry strokes, I can clean a cushion without dry strokes and still have it dry before i leave

and because I'm using a freshwater rinse I don't have to worry about maximum extraction of the water because it contains no chemicals so no residue will be left.

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

carpetguy

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2006, 10:17:25 am »
Mike

Why do you feel the need to use airblowers, when using the cfr tool, which will leave almost all fabrics, touch dry in an hour.

The client will be perfectly happy with that and you are only adding to the time taken to complete the task.

In spite of the time I quote," for most suites" of 90 minutes, I'm not rushing, but I do work in a very disciplined and methodical way, never stopping until the job is done.

Robbie

Mike Halliday

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2006, 10:25:14 am »
I can't get fabrics touch dry in an hour with my CFR tool, perhaps i use it at too high a pressure & flow rate, but this I find removes the dirt in one pass of the tool  rather than 3.

again perhaps this is why some people take 4 hours, they are doing twice the work because they have to do 3 wet strokes then 3 dry  which is twice the work I do.

Mike

DISCLAIMER

JUST BECUASE THIS IS WHAT I DO I WOULD NOT RECCOMEND A BEGGINER TO FOLLOW MY EXAMPLE,  I'M AN EXPERIANCED PROFFESSIONAL ;)

Lavinia

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2006, 12:13:02 pm »
how anyone cleanes a suite for £85 is a joke. to clean even a clean suite takes 2 hours so by my reconing thats £42.50 an hour, plus getting there and back for the audit and the clean, you must be lossing money? I, like everyone prefure to clean carpets and am not to bothered if i dont do upholstery espesiolly at a loss.
I charge £176 for a clean & £250 to clean & protect and It takes me about 3 hours to do. If they dont like my price they are welcome to go else where.

Mark Stanley

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2006, 03:23:07 pm »
Jacko,

I am clad I am not the only one that takes a while to clean sofas - I generally allow with setup 1/2 day and price accordingly.

Mark
NCCA

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2006, 03:32:52 pm »
I agree with Mike, the cfr tool I use doesn't dry suites faster but it does clean fast, I use turbos also although I have started again using an open jet upholstery tool for the sides and backs turned down to 200psi because I find lightly soiled areas dry quicker this way.

Shaun

Derek

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2006, 03:38:47 pm »
Sorry guys but I have to disagree...I find I can get much quicker drying times on fabrics using the cfr handtool.

It may not appear so by just touching the fabric surface but there isn't the penetration of moisture into the interior stuffers and fillers that you can often get with conventional tools

Mike Halliday

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2006, 04:56:48 pm »
actually i have commented on the drying times achieved with the CFR in comparison to other tools, all I've said i cant get drying time under an hour with a CFR

I'm sure if i used a normal handtool in the ways i use the CFR I would have drying times of about 24hrs, so the CFR is definitely quicker drying  than other tools.

does everyone grab the fabric with the CFR and lift it away from the backing as they clean? this stops the backing saoking up the spray, and you can open the zip and put your hand against the back to check for too much penetration.

Mike

the red carpet

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2006, 05:01:27 pm »
All i can say is if you havent allready, get yourself a good high table to clean the cushions on, it really takes the work out of it my last two suites have been a doodle.

Everyones saying how its hard work and they would rather not do them, trust me this makes them easy.

A extra wide ironing board is what i use.

As for pricing iv allways been £20 a seat, but have put it up to £25 recently but not quoted any yet, its been all carpets the last couple weeks.

Another reason i think some take longer than others is this, are you guys using the same effort all over the suite?

I usually concentrate all my effort on the cushions, arms and headrests as this is obviously the contact areas where you find the soil
the backs and sides usually just get a mist and extract from me.

I think to vac, pre-sray, aggitate, dwell, and extract the backs is a bit overkill myself on most jobs.

Kev Loomes

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2006, 05:12:38 pm »
I think were all the same with regards to the backs and sides, although there are some suites that actually need cleaning in these areas fully, due to pet grease, smoke, cooking, bad venting etc. But for the most yes, most effort goes into the rest.

However, for that EXTRA effort on the main areas you will be rewarded - not only financially but by repeat work. Custy's who pay a decent amount £160.00-£180.00 a suite, expect a fantastic result, but will gladly recommend you for acheiving it.

Go on, put your prices up, do it BETTER than you ever have, and reap the rewards.

Steve Weatherley

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2006, 07:16:03 pm »
Hi guys. Those of you who have described your procedure for cleaning suites......

Do you pre-spray the entire suite before moving on to the next stages (agitating and extracting) or do you do like me - a section of the suite at a time. I am concerned that by pre spraying the entire suite before agitating and extracting this could cause over wetting due to the pre spray being on the fabric for too long??

gwrightson

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2006, 07:27:47 pm »
I dont understand your theory ,on over wetting Steve!!

over wetting must surly be down to the factor of appling to much pre spray :-\ not by the amount of dwell time., and some products do require a dwell time,

I personaly prespray a number of cushions, first aggitate extract then towel dry,then turbo dry,
for the carcasses i clean 1 at a time.

geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

carpetguy

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2006, 08:10:45 pm »
Richard or Lavinia

I am perfectly happy to earn around £42 per hour for the average suite clean, which, with some work returning considerably more, gives me about £1000 per week, gross and being  long established in running businesses, am pretty good at controlling costs and managing, time.

Many offer discounts, special deals, etc and have high advertising / marketing costs. I don't and only call to inspect work, if there is any doubt, after asking the usual questions, ie, size of suite, fabric type, pets, smokers, etc.

I state that, " according to what you're telling me " I'm pretty sure I could clean your suite for £x and will confirm this price when I see it.

I've only walked away from a couple, in 18 years and it doesn't bother me, as I make the decision, NOT to call, based on the job value.

You may get the odd job at these prices, but you will have to spend a great deal of time in marketing and what will you earn, for just twenty hours, working alone.

Incidentally, many franchisees of a very well known ' throughout the world ' company, regularly charge  around £80 for suite cleaning.

Your condecending manner insults many hard working people, who probabably do, as good as, possibly better work than yourself and charge a lot less than I do.

Although my work, is almost entirely repeat, or referral, I have increased my prices over the years and could probably get more for my services, but I work effectively and efficiently and give excellent value for money.

You may think I'm a mug, or a fool, that's your prerogative .

robbie

Steve

I mist the heavily soiled areas, then set up, then apply a prespray to the backs, sides, etc, which I always clean first, then I prespray the seats of each unit and clean them,before moving on to the back cushions. I only aggitate where I feel it's going to be beneficial.

Like Mike,  I sometimes use a single pass, but you have to be an accomplished operator to get the optimum from tools.

Steve Weatherley

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2006, 08:34:37 pm »
Carpetguy,

Thanks for your most informative answer. You sound like you are a genuine sound minded businessman who is keen to offer a five star service at a price that the average person on the street can afford.
I wish I could say the same for one or two other people who have responded to this thread in such an offensive and snooty manner.

Steve

Matt Read

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2006, 08:44:07 pm »
Have to agree with Steve,

Carpetguy's explanation sounds more like the real world to me .
Matt

carpetguy

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2006, 09:40:05 pm »
Thank you, Gentlemen

robbie

Damian

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2006, 10:07:35 pm »
Carpetguy-Robbie. The methods and prices you charge and state sound (to me) to be in the real world. The wannabe's who reckon are getting 200 plus for a suite are dreaming-you can now buy a new suite in leather for 300 quid ::) Granted it wont be very good but custy's will still weigh up the offers and will not pay top dollar for a suite thats old to be cleaned. so you have to be competitive, which by the sounds of it you are. I hope it continues for many years for you! From the sounds of it you have a sound mind and sound business ;)

Damian.
Kids for the ex-missus. The fireblade is my baby!!

gmccleaning

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2006, 10:38:05 pm »
ROBBIE CARPETGUY, tryed to get on your website cant,where abouts are u in paisley.your prices and times spot on

george

carpetguy

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2006, 11:41:35 pm »
Evening George, I'm just back from pick up / drop off's ( two teenage daughters)  I'm based in Paisley, but have worked as far away , as Perth / Helensburgh / Moscow / Edinburgh

Nowadays it's much more local, but I have established clients from all over the West of Scotland.

My site is very basic as I'm not too accomplished with computers

www.carpetguy.co.uk

cheers

robbie

Art

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2006, 12:04:20 am »
Hi Robbie,

Didn't you use to post on here as the therapist?

Arthur