Cloverleaf

How much for a suite?
« on: November 02, 2006, 10:53:23 pm »
Got a call a few days ago from a retired lady. How much for a suite? I said, cannot give you a price till I see it. She says how much ball park. After describing the suite, I says approx £135 but I need to see it first.
She then tells me that she already had a quote of xxx amount......I said, get out a here! or words to that effect. :o I said that is much more than anyone would charge. (even Chemdry  ;D)
She said, come and give me a quote. Went today and sure enough £ 135 very lightly soiled 2.5 hours job.

Unfortunatly, for certain reasons, I cannot tell you how much the other company was going to charge her yet till later in the month as this may affect her standing with the company that gave her the quote. .But I must say that the quote they gave her was truly herendouse and was a complete rip off and gave the custy great concern.......and me too!

Anyhow, what is the most you would quote for a 2.5  hours suite?

Will keep you informed.
John

gerrystyles

Re: How much for a suite?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 11:02:09 pm »
Ball park £20 - £25 per seat

carpetguy

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 11:31:39 pm »
Lightly soiled suite would take me around one and a half hours at £55  -  £70, really can't see how it takes anyone, other than a novice, more than 90 minutes.

robbie

dave401uk

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 11:52:06 pm »
i charge £30 per seat postion, but can be more

dave
Its never a pass of the wand,just a master stroke.

Jason Hedges

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 12:11:45 am »
Hi,

Carpetguy I'm with you on this one, 75 quid sounds about right. Two to three hours work max.

Many may disagree that its too cheap but I'm getting lots of regular work and referalls charging at that rate......

Sorry just cant quote 150 quid for a suite, many do and good on them more fool me. I wouldn't sleep.... Not that I do anyway ???

Kind regards,
Jason.

gwrightson

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 07:46:32 am »
90 mins to clean a 3 pc  :'(

takes me 30 mins to vac and brush all the dry soiling from one, even if the suite is lightly soiled
i find that the amount of dust etc that comes of is remarkable.

I would say around 2 and a half hrs ,and thats with no drying strokes,  :)
oh before you ask why , i use a drimaster hand tool
Geoff.

ps as for taking a novice longer, I would contradict you and say it would take an eperienced, longer
as they will be cleaning it correctly.
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

carpetclean

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 08:05:50 am »
£25 a seat is the norm for me and i am happy with that with the time it takes
NCCA   IICRC

name peter reed

calmore

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 11:11:47 am »
Why rush? Take things easy!

The longer you take the higher the perceived value of your service and you can charge more :)
Calmore Carpet Cleaning-Southampton
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services
www.southernpatservices.com/

AquaMagic

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 03:42:24 pm »
90 Mins for a suite, whats your procedure carpet guy?, i work with my father as a two man team and we take at least 2 hours, we
Pre Vac
Prespray and agitiate with a Mit
Dwell
Extract off with truckmount (north south, then east west on cushions and arms just one direction on rest of siute i,e backs and sides )
Hand dry with a terry towel.

We dont at any stage stop and couldnt work any faster and i cannot see how we can miss any of these stages out so im at a loss as to how one man can do a suite properly in and hour and an half.

Just my opinion.

p.s We charge £20 - £25 per seat.

Dene

Kev Loomes

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 05:26:59 pm »
Dont know how anyone can effectively clean a suite in 90 mins - the results simply cannot be fantastic FACT, with no wow factor whatsoever. If there is 2 of you then yes, 90 mins is the norm.

A normal 3pc takes us (and an entire national network when we were involved with one) 3-4hrs if working on own, or 1.5-2hrs with 2 people. Non stop with no breaks.

Amazing results takes time - subsequently we charge approx £160.00-£177.00 for 3pc.  'splash n dash' - er, no. 

Phil Marlor

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 05:27:33 pm »
Takes me about 3/4 hours for a decent size suite, I just can't do it any quicker, I charge about £120.00, more sometimes and the customer gets a proper job, if I tried to do it in 90 mins I wouldn't be doing a good job.

You cant just wizz over a badly soiled suite, it takes time.

Phil
Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

Nick Johnston

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 05:42:15 pm »
It takes me about five hours to clean a suite and that includes setting-up and knocking-down my Ninja. I realise that you van-mounters could save some time on this, but presumably you would charge a higher hourly rate to cover your increased costs.

I do all that NCCA trained me to do - things like testing the fabric, laying down floor protectors, turbo drying the suite etc. I charge about £150 for a three piece. I sleep at night and my customers seem to enjoy the experience, service and results.

Nick

Geoff Jewkes

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 06:22:25 pm »
I allow 3 hrs and charge £85 - £110 for a suite depending on size and degree of soiling plus £50 for teflon protector if required  :)

the red carpet

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 07:34:18 pm »
Done my last one in 2 hours, used to take me 2.5-3 but now i have a t/m and a nice table to clean the cushions on it seems to have speeded things up.

Len Gribble

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006, 08:56:43 pm »
£30 per seat and follow all procedures (ncca not a member) it takes as long as takes be it with a porty or tm (about the same methinks Red table sounds good).  Think prices should be a lot higher but the punter won’t pay it! Give me carpets any day, more profit!

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Cleaning Resource

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2006, 10:41:16 pm »
£30 to £35 per seat got everyjob i`ve quoted who wants to do them cheap there hard work :( i keep trying to outprice them but everyone just keeps saying yes ???

wash and go

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2006, 10:57:07 pm »

I can't see why, people price to low.   In taking account the costs of running a business.  The set up costs. The costs of spare parts, servicing, advertising, etc. I want more than £25 an hour to turn my machine on.

I don't mind earning that amount £25 an hour , with window cleaning. Because it is regular. I know i have the customers every month. Running and set up cost are much lower.

But that hourly rate in carpet cleaning is crazy.

Cloverleaf

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2006, 11:52:10 pm »
Some good comments on pricing.
I for one don't like doing suites, but they are a nessecary evil to me and have to be done.
Perhaps I'm getting old and would rather clean carpets.
I try to price them on an equivelent to pricing carpet times, £40 to £50 an hour.

I look at this way, if a suite costs between £1000 to £3000 to buy 5years ago, say £150 is not a lot to pay to bring it back into good condition or nearly new again, although ther may be a few exceptions.

I think you you can justify this and not feel as though you are charging too much.

I know of a few companys that charge much more, but not as much as the company that tried rip this lady off!
John

jacko

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2006, 12:27:18 am »
A 3 pce with detachable cushions back and seat moderately soiled takes me 4-5 hours:
*Set Gear up
*Pre-Vac inc crevice nozzle down sides and back
*Prespray
*Agitate with either mf Mitt or tampico brush
*Extract
*Treat with eco spotter any remaining grease and extract
*Towel Dry
*Turbo-Dry
*Pack gear away

Cannot do it any quicker unless i cut corners

carpetguy

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2006, 09:32:48 am »
I knew my 90 minutes comment would open the door ..........

The longest I've ever taken to clean a suite, was just over three hours, but it was choked with nicotine and it was about 15 years ago

I vowed that it would never take anywhere like that time again and it never has, yes I pre vac and prespray and agitate and the suite is usually touch dry within an hour, or so.

How do I know?

I'm still there, but the area I started to clean, was started 90 minutes ago!

If it's taking two people FIVE hours to clean a 3 pce suite they are clearly in the wrong business, they are clearly in the wrong business.

Even at a moderate £40 per hour x two this would cost £400

After nearly 20 years, virtually all of the work I do, comes from repeat clients and referrals and there is no shortage of cleaners around this locality, including the usual franchises.

robbie

PS
suites are indeed hard work, but I have probably averaged about 3 per week over the past 18 years.
Just because you're slow, doesn't mean your better, or even as good as someone with higher productivity.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2006, 10:04:48 am »
I can clean a suite in 2 hours at a push.

one thing I've noticed using a cfr tool, a freshwater rinse & 3 airmovers is you don't need to do lots of dry strokes, I can clean a cushion without dry strokes and still have it dry before i leave

and because I'm using a freshwater rinse I don't have to worry about maximum extraction of the water because it contains no chemicals so no residue will be left.

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

carpetguy

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2006, 10:17:25 am »
Mike

Why do you feel the need to use airblowers, when using the cfr tool, which will leave almost all fabrics, touch dry in an hour.

The client will be perfectly happy with that and you are only adding to the time taken to complete the task.

In spite of the time I quote," for most suites" of 90 minutes, I'm not rushing, but I do work in a very disciplined and methodical way, never stopping until the job is done.

Robbie

Mike Halliday

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2006, 10:25:14 am »
I can't get fabrics touch dry in an hour with my CFR tool, perhaps i use it at too high a pressure & flow rate, but this I find removes the dirt in one pass of the tool  rather than 3.

again perhaps this is why some people take 4 hours, they are doing twice the work because they have to do 3 wet strokes then 3 dry  which is twice the work I do.

Mike

DISCLAIMER

JUST BECUASE THIS IS WHAT I DO I WOULD NOT RECCOMEND A BEGGINER TO FOLLOW MY EXAMPLE,  I'M AN EXPERIANCED PROFFESSIONAL ;)

Lavinia

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2006, 12:13:02 pm »
how anyone cleanes a suite for £85 is a joke. to clean even a clean suite takes 2 hours so by my reconing thats £42.50 an hour, plus getting there and back for the audit and the clean, you must be lossing money? I, like everyone prefure to clean carpets and am not to bothered if i dont do upholstery espesiolly at a loss.
I charge £176 for a clean & £250 to clean & protect and It takes me about 3 hours to do. If they dont like my price they are welcome to go else where.

Mark Stanley

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2006, 03:23:07 pm »
Jacko,

I am clad I am not the only one that takes a while to clean sofas - I generally allow with setup 1/2 day and price accordingly.

Mark
NCCA

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2006, 03:32:52 pm »
I agree with Mike, the cfr tool I use doesn't dry suites faster but it does clean fast, I use turbos also although I have started again using an open jet upholstery tool for the sides and backs turned down to 200psi because I find lightly soiled areas dry quicker this way.

Shaun

Derek

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2006, 03:38:47 pm »
Sorry guys but I have to disagree...I find I can get much quicker drying times on fabrics using the cfr handtool.

It may not appear so by just touching the fabric surface but there isn't the penetration of moisture into the interior stuffers and fillers that you can often get with conventional tools

Mike Halliday

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2006, 04:56:48 pm »
actually i have commented on the drying times achieved with the CFR in comparison to other tools, all I've said i cant get drying time under an hour with a CFR

I'm sure if i used a normal handtool in the ways i use the CFR I would have drying times of about 24hrs, so the CFR is definitely quicker drying  than other tools.

does everyone grab the fabric with the CFR and lift it away from the backing as they clean? this stops the backing saoking up the spray, and you can open the zip and put your hand against the back to check for too much penetration.

Mike

the red carpet

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2006, 05:01:27 pm »
All i can say is if you havent allready, get yourself a good high table to clean the cushions on, it really takes the work out of it my last two suites have been a doodle.

Everyones saying how its hard work and they would rather not do them, trust me this makes them easy.

A extra wide ironing board is what i use.

As for pricing iv allways been £20 a seat, but have put it up to £25 recently but not quoted any yet, its been all carpets the last couple weeks.

Another reason i think some take longer than others is this, are you guys using the same effort all over the suite?

I usually concentrate all my effort on the cushions, arms and headrests as this is obviously the contact areas where you find the soil
the backs and sides usually just get a mist and extract from me.

I think to vac, pre-sray, aggitate, dwell, and extract the backs is a bit overkill myself on most jobs.

Kev Loomes

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2006, 05:12:38 pm »
I think were all the same with regards to the backs and sides, although there are some suites that actually need cleaning in these areas fully, due to pet grease, smoke, cooking, bad venting etc. But for the most yes, most effort goes into the rest.

However, for that EXTRA effort on the main areas you will be rewarded - not only financially but by repeat work. Custy's who pay a decent amount £160.00-£180.00 a suite, expect a fantastic result, but will gladly recommend you for acheiving it.

Go on, put your prices up, do it BETTER than you ever have, and reap the rewards.

Steve Weatherley

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2006, 07:16:03 pm »
Hi guys. Those of you who have described your procedure for cleaning suites......

Do you pre-spray the entire suite before moving on to the next stages (agitating and extracting) or do you do like me - a section of the suite at a time. I am concerned that by pre spraying the entire suite before agitating and extracting this could cause over wetting due to the pre spray being on the fabric for too long??

gwrightson

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2006, 07:27:47 pm »
I dont understand your theory ,on over wetting Steve!!

over wetting must surly be down to the factor of appling to much pre spray :-\ not by the amount of dwell time., and some products do require a dwell time,

I personaly prespray a number of cushions, first aggitate extract then towel dry,then turbo dry,
for the carcasses i clean 1 at a time.

geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

carpetguy

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2006, 08:10:45 pm »
Richard or Lavinia

I am perfectly happy to earn around £42 per hour for the average suite clean, which, with some work returning considerably more, gives me about £1000 per week, gross and being  long established in running businesses, am pretty good at controlling costs and managing, time.

Many offer discounts, special deals, etc and have high advertising / marketing costs. I don't and only call to inspect work, if there is any doubt, after asking the usual questions, ie, size of suite, fabric type, pets, smokers, etc.

I state that, " according to what you're telling me " I'm pretty sure I could clean your suite for £x and will confirm this price when I see it.

I've only walked away from a couple, in 18 years and it doesn't bother me, as I make the decision, NOT to call, based on the job value.

You may get the odd job at these prices, but you will have to spend a great deal of time in marketing and what will you earn, for just twenty hours, working alone.

Incidentally, many franchisees of a very well known ' throughout the world ' company, regularly charge  around £80 for suite cleaning.

Your condecending manner insults many hard working people, who probabably do, as good as, possibly better work than yourself and charge a lot less than I do.

Although my work, is almost entirely repeat, or referral, I have increased my prices over the years and could probably get more for my services, but I work effectively and efficiently and give excellent value for money.

You may think I'm a mug, or a fool, that's your prerogative .

robbie

Steve

I mist the heavily soiled areas, then set up, then apply a prespray to the backs, sides, etc, which I always clean first, then I prespray the seats of each unit and clean them,before moving on to the back cushions. I only aggitate where I feel it's going to be beneficial.

Like Mike,  I sometimes use a single pass, but you have to be an accomplished operator to get the optimum from tools.

Steve Weatherley

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2006, 08:34:37 pm »
Carpetguy,

Thanks for your most informative answer. You sound like you are a genuine sound minded businessman who is keen to offer a five star service at a price that the average person on the street can afford.
I wish I could say the same for one or two other people who have responded to this thread in such an offensive and snooty manner.

Steve

Matt Read

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2006, 08:44:07 pm »
Have to agree with Steve,

Carpetguy's explanation sounds more like the real world to me .
Matt

carpetguy

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2006, 09:40:05 pm »
Thank you, Gentlemen

robbie

Damian

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2006, 10:07:35 pm »
Carpetguy-Robbie. The methods and prices you charge and state sound (to me) to be in the real world. The wannabe's who reckon are getting 200 plus for a suite are dreaming-you can now buy a new suite in leather for 300 quid ::) Granted it wont be very good but custy's will still weigh up the offers and will not pay top dollar for a suite thats old to be cleaned. so you have to be competitive, which by the sounds of it you are. I hope it continues for many years for you! From the sounds of it you have a sound mind and sound business ;)

Damian.
Kids for the ex-missus. The fireblade is my baby!!

gmccleaning

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2006, 10:38:05 pm »
ROBBIE CARPETGUY, tryed to get on your website cant,where abouts are u in paisley.your prices and times spot on

george

carpetguy

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2006, 11:41:35 pm »
Evening George, I'm just back from pick up / drop off's ( two teenage daughters)  I'm based in Paisley, but have worked as far away , as Perth / Helensburgh / Moscow / Edinburgh

Nowadays it's much more local, but I have established clients from all over the West of Scotland.

My site is very basic as I'm not too accomplished with computers

www.carpetguy.co.uk

cheers

robbie

Art

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2006, 12:04:20 am »
Hi Robbie,

Didn't you use to post on here as the therapist?

Arthur

Kev Loomes

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2006, 09:18:27 am »
Hi Steve

Hope you wasnt referring to me for being snooty!

Anyway, in answer to your question we carry out the clean as follows:

Hand wash fabric via sea sponge with pre cleaner
Apply pre-spray
Agitate with brushes
Agitate/towel off removing most of the grime/dirt/grease
Rinse/extract
Towel off removing any tram lines
Turbo dry

We find that wetting the fabric first makes all the difference as this also acts as a good carrier for the pre-spray. We do like most people would, frame first then cushions. In our case suite cleaning is approx 50% of our business and if we just did what some pople do i.e. go straight in with the pre-spay and then rinse - we personally wouldnt get as good a result!

carpetguy

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2006, 09:23:00 am »
well spotted Art

I removed myself, as I was fed up with the " marketing " by some at the time, which I predicted would cause heartach for some, but, as they say, " you can lead a horse to water, but..........."

I niggled a few myself, only because I felt they needed a reality check, but the attacks on one guy in particular, made my decision to opt out.

As it happens, I had a wake up call myself, which resulted in an angiogram and ongoing medication, with the threat of bypass surgery still hanging over me.

Made me stop and assess !!!!!!!!

robbie

Incidentally, I am a Therapist, specialising in realignment of the Pelvis / Spine and maintaining the correction

It's something that Osteos and Chiros don't do.

www.relief-from-pain.com

carpetguy

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2006, 10:12:52 am »
Formula

You appear to work in a similar way to myself, which has evolved through experience and experimentation,

As I've already mentioned, we were earning around £19 per hour when I gave up Driving Instruction @ £9 per hour and have raised prices each year to about £45 per hour ( average )
today, but, I suspect my productivity is higher ( in spite of my age and state of health ) and this is without compromising quality.

Like yourself, we continue to evolve by experimenting, with products and techniques

robbie

PS
I'm aware that some get considerably higher payments for their services and should state that the occasional suite I clean attracts a premium price, due to size, or protection.

I don't aim to insult or demean other peoples business, but there is only one Liahona and he is trading, as he will confirm, in a very small niche, where domestic budgets don't enter the equasion.
I have a number of footballer and high earners as clients and the only reason I get a higher payment from them, is the size of their suites, colour -  usually very light  -  and fussy design, with extra cushion, etc.

davep

carpetguy

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2006, 11:55:17 am »
Dave

In spite of my prehistoric origins, I'd never heard of this mix' until it was raised on here recently.

I had an aversion to Prochem and other hi foaming products, when I started, many years ago, so never came accross this, but I recently acquired a load of Prochem products when buying another c/c, out.

They include the rinses mentioned, but I have still to try the mix. Not sure  that I'll bother.

Although I avoid high foam, it arises frequently, from other peoples residues and the ubiquitous, VANISH, which, does'nt.

robbie

davep

carpetguy

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2006, 12:20:06 pm »
I have a dry foam cleaner   -  stimvac  -  which probably does much the same and in theory, does'nt require h/w/e, but, it's slower and on heavy soiling, less efficient than h /w / e

It's great to have the motorised head for aggitation, but, due to my cardiac concerns I don't use it much, in factI should really offer it for sale.

robbie

Kev Loomes

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2006, 01:17:40 pm »
Sory DaveP

Dont use it myself, although we do use various products from Alltec, Prochem, Craftex etc.

David_Annable

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2006, 02:42:23 pm »
Hi

What always tickles me about these threads is that the people who charge £40 for a suite never make an apperance.

So we all know your out there, would you like to explain yourselves.

Dave
NCCA, Woolsafe, IICRC Leather Cleaning Technician

Phil Marlor

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2006, 03:15:17 pm »
Hi

What always tickles me about these threads is that the people who charge £40 for a suite never make an apperance.

So we all know your out there, would you like to explain yourselves.

Dave

They can't afford computers! ;)

Phil
Stevenage, Herts

carpetguy

« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2006, 03:21:01 pm »
I think you might find that the 80% of cleaners, who charge even less than £40 are too busy to spend time on forums.

There are a number of reasons why people charge lower than average prices for products , or services.

Where do you buy your weekly groceries ?

Who is your mobile phone supplier ?

Where do you get your printing done ?

etc, etc ?

There are regular postings on forums, about the cheapest suppliers,  of just about everything, yet you condemn the same practice in cleaning services. Why ?

The majority of clients have been, price conditioned, by Asda, Tesco, etc and these are the clients being serviced by the people who charge less than the others, who target the M & S costomers.

What might shock some of the " I would'nt clean a suite for less than " £150 brigade, would be the earnings of these guys.

They are usually in their 20's and 30's and prepared to work extremely hard and long and they're average job value is probably around £60, because they get a couple of carpets to clean with each suite.

If you consider, that they probably average 5 - 6 jobs per day and a couple on Saturday, they are probably earning more than you and many others, who imagine themselves to be astute businessmen.

I know a fair number of them and I was there myself, years ago.

Hard work........................of course, but the suppliers love them and depend on them for the business they generate.

Still tickling

Robbie

gmccleaning

« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2006, 03:47:58 pm »
i agree with u robbie, i for one could not charge the prices advertised on the forum, south wast scotland customers would laugh in my face, still making good wage packet out of c/c, couple of good contracts including stenaline cleaning hss voyager fastcraft (lots of carpet and 1600 seats ,like the forth bridge when u reach the end back to the start)

george

Kev Loomes

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2006, 03:56:56 pm »
Just one big difference Robbie.

Your talking about groceries, mobile phones, tesco, M & S etc. THEY ARE ALL ITEMS, NOT SERVICE. Obviously we all shop around for the exact same item - as regardless of price it will always be the same. You cannot compare this to the service industry, this you cannot disagree with.

And you have to ask yourself, if a really good cleaner with all the right equipment and chemicals, training etc is only charging £40.00 for a suite, then he hasnt really got a business and lacks something drastically.

You know, and so does everyone else, that for that price your gonna get a flimsy 'under your arm' so called extraction machine (if any), and barely an hour doing so called professional cleaning! Splash 'N' Dash....of course. Obviously things might be slightly different in far flung places, but in general (down south anyway) this is how it is.

But if they are happy giving the results they give then good luck to em, as there will always be a market for them.  :P

Steve Chapman

« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2006, 05:05:33 pm »
so many sweeping statements and generalisations ::)

some people just don't have the same overheads, maybe no mortgage, no family or commitments or credit, it doesn't make them a moron with a porty who doesn't know what he's doing!

I personally know a guy who charges less than £40 a suite and does a damn good job (& it cheeses me off as i charge a lot more) but thats life!

We all look for value for money, and competition is always a good thing, makes us hone our skills and give good service.

If we charge more than most then we have to have a good reason for it, not just because we want more money ;)  then the customer will pay!

regards
steve

*paul_moss

« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2006, 05:15:17 pm »
Steve
Good post.

I charge £135 for a 5 seater suite.There are lots of cheaper guys by me who do it for £50, but I charge what I think it should cost for my service.End of story. Im not interested in who is cheapest or dearest just as long as people are prepared to pay my prices ( which they are ) them im happy and just get on with life.

It really doesnt matter if you charge £30 or £200 as long as your happy with it and the customer is happy and you have plenty of work, then what does it matter.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Mike Halliday

« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2006, 05:25:44 pm »
some people talk a load of rubbish!!

there is no reason for anyone to charge £40-£50 to clean a suite, I could care less if the have no overheads and their mortgage is paid off.

what you charge has nothing to do with overheads or lack of them, (when I got a new van on lease should I have put up my prices because my 'overheads ' went up?)

people charge silly prices because they are silly people, I charge a professional price because I'm a ...... professional :D

Mike

calmore

« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2006, 05:32:48 pm »
I personally know a guy who charges less than £40 a suite and does a d**n good job (& it cheeses me off as i charge a lot more) but thats life!

Why not sub-contract all your suites to him and concentrate on carpets?
Calmore Carpet Cleaning-Southampton
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services
www.southernpatservices.com/

Mike Halliday

« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2006, 05:38:23 pm »
I do this with a mate :D :D

he charges £70 so I pass on all the ones who can't afford me and he gives me a 'recommendation fee'

Mike

Steve Chapman

« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2006, 05:46:10 pm »
Thankyou for the insult mike  ::)

I was simply stating a real life fact of a guy who is retired and does not desire to be a millionaire but DOES want to keep working!

The point being the price is not always and indication of quality of work, and not all people want to be filthy rich, some just want to do an honest days work and are satisfied with what they earn.

what business is it of anyone to say they should charge more! That is what is rubbish!

regard
steve

Doug Holloway

« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2006, 06:06:46 pm »
Hi Guys,

I used to be £70 man working like fury to get them done in 90 mins, now I'm a £120 pound man , well at least to new customers.

I have also increased my carpet prices significantly.

The biggest advantage is that I don't have to work so hard to get a good living and my internet supplies a steady stream of enquiries, hence increased pre Xmas prices.

It really is a personal choice thing and I think as long as you clean as well as you can, then if the custy is happy with your price then all is good and well.

Higher prices also allow you to buy better equipment thus making life easier still.

Cheers

Doug

Phil Marlor

« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2006, 06:29:53 pm »

some people just don't have the same overheads, maybe no mortgage, no family or commitments or credit, it doesn't make them a moron with a porty who doesn't know what he's doing!

regards
steve

So you must only earn what you need?
99% who charge £40.00 for a 3 piece suite do a crap job, FACT!

Phil
Stevenage, Herts

Steve Chapman

« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2006, 06:44:34 pm »
 ::)

Phil Marlor

« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2006, 06:47:10 pm »

:-*

Stevenage, Herts

carpetguy

« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2006, 07:39:37 pm »
There are, predicably, a couple of comments, which question the credibility or                            ability of people, based on what they charge for their services

Equally, predictably, there are a majority of fair minded comments...................

I've deleted a long post, as I've no desire to insult anyone and that is the                        temptation, after reading a couple of the replies .

Prior to my Ninja, I had a CFR and before that, an Extracta.  None of which                                would go under my arms.

My ability to clean the average suite in 90 minutes, may  be due to several factors

My methods have evolved over twenty years.

I use good products and machinery

I have learned how to get the best out of tools

I don't make promises I can't keep

I don't waste time drinking tea

I work steadily and methodically without stopping

Perhaps I undervalue myself, but I don't need to advertise and I find a little Suzuki                    1300 is perfecly capable of carrying ;-

One Ninja with carpet tool and three hand tools
100 feet of hose
External heater
Puzzi 200 with hose and tools
One rotary with brush and 10 bonnets in bag
Sebo and Hunter vacs
Numerous chemicals
There is still room for my spare Extracta and vacuuming steamer

Yes, I could earn more by increasing prices and may well have done so,                                            if I was a minute or two younger.

Professional?

Not for me to say, but my clients certainly regard me to be totally different from
other c/c's they've dealt with, in my manner , appearance, businesslike way I go                       about things and the knowledge I share, selflessly with them.

Silly, maybe, but I  don't think so

HELPFULL ....................absolutely
RECOMMENDED ...........always

Big headed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!                  Who me ?

TFN

robbie

Lavinia

« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2006, 10:04:47 pm »
carpetguy i am sorry but i never mean to affend or upset anyone that was never my intention. Many people work 10 or even 12 hour days and earn a good wage, if by chargeing more i can earn the same in 5 to 6 hours i will (i work to live not live to work). I also take into account that here in bucks there are a lot of well of people where as in scotland they may be futher apart and i guess this has a lot to do with things. the main thing i guess is that as long as the upholstery is cleaned to the best of our abillity we should charge what we are happy with. The only thing i find hard is that if in 3 hour we can clean £150 worth of carpet then why charge less for upholstery. Sorry once again if i sounded condersending or insulting to anyone trying to earn an honist living
richard

Jason Hedges

« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2006, 12:38:42 am »
Hi all,

Robbie, I'm with you on this one.

Lower overheads - Lower prices - Fact!

I advertise minimally (£20 per week) and get a regular £200-£300 return.

People that spend £X's advertising big time have to charge accordingy to make up their money. Ok they're having 50 calls a week and I'm having 10.

I charge £60-£100 per suite plus protection but they're having to charge £125+ to warrant they're expenses. Same job (if not better) a lot more money!

Its not "you get what you pay for" in this industry. Some cleaners, me inculded take  pride in our work and expect a reasonable payment in return.

If I was spending £100/£200 per week in advertising I would need 50 calls a week and could warrant £125 a suite.

I can understand bigger companies charging higher rates because of their overhesds but for one man bands like myself £60-£100 is just fine................

And I know I do as good a job if not better than my higher paid comrades....

Kind regards,
Jason.

cleaning co

« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2006, 03:29:07 am »
hi jason, y would u need 50 calls aweek if u was spending 100-200 on ads ?  i charge 40 for carpet and 80 for a 3pc  spend 100 week  my averge job price is 80  on averge week get 10 bookings on bad week get 5      , so avg week earnings is  800 bad week 400   if i got 50 calls a week i would avg 4000  :o also if u only get 200 week from 10 jobs thats very poor  return how much are u charging ?  i thought i was cheap mate  ;D p.s no carpet cleaner on there own gets 50 calls a week unless every other carpet cleaner in a 100 mile radius packs in !!
phil  how is that fact ?  do u go round inspecting every cheaper carpet cleaners work in your area or something?, i like carpet guy drive round in me little 1300cc extol van with me ninja and prochem chems do a decent job for what i call decent price 40 a carpet and get lots of custy passing my number on to thier freinds,if we was so crap y would they do this ??? and they hav done for 12 years !!!    tescos are lot cheaper than sainburys but they get more custy every week and make more money do tesco sell crap food and giv crap service  fact ? phil ?
when i was in the building trade the builders who charged double were known as the cowboys for ripping people off !! not for doing a better job mate!!   is it not the same in the carpet cleaning trade ?   i hav done cleans in the past for 100 and took me an hour and chem dry hav priced the job at 500 pounds!!! now that is a rippoff imo how many times can u go over 3 carpets to justfie that sort of money !!!
gary

carpetguy

« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2006, 08:15:29 am »
Horses for courses, as they say. If you are making a decent living and at the same time providing, value for money, you, IMO, are being successful.

There will always be differences of opinions and thats healthy, but some will always have an unshakeable belief in what they do and how they do it.

We have all invested, in some cases a great deal of time and money is this industry, but we are all different.

Some have stronger motivation and drive

That doesn't neccessarily make them a better businessman, or, guarantee that they'll deliver a higher quality of work , or even be more profitable, or happy.

It should be clear, from posts, that many are perfectly happy with their earnings, even if it means working longer and harder than others.

The only ones that anger me and no doubt, others, are the characters, who not only advertise extremely low prices, but have further HALF PRICE deals, which mean "cleaning" carpets for £5  -  £7 and suites, for £15  -  £20.

They, unfortunately, cream off a huge proportion of the market and make it difficult for the others, who work to a quality and value for money ethic.

As in any business, there will always be Price Shoppers and current society has become conditioned to being Price Driven by retail marketing.

I don't imagine any of the "half price special" people will be on here or attending courses, but , I might be wrong !

work to do

robbie

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2006, 08:29:11 pm »
Do the maths do 10 job @ £150 and you've nearly doubled your Gross, but you have nearly trebled your profit!

Same overheads but the rest goes straight in the bank.

Shaun

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2006, 09:28:29 pm »
I think you might find that the 80% of cleaners, who charge even less than £40 are too busy to spend time on forums.

There are a number of reasons why people charge lower than average prices for products , or services.

Where do you buy your weekly groceries ?

Who is your mobile phone supplier ?

Where do you get your printing done ?

etc, etc ?

There are regular postings on forums, about the cheapest suppliers,  of just about everything, yet you condemn the same practice in cleaning services. Why ?

The majority of clients have been, price conditioned, by Asda, Tesco, etc and these are the clients being serviced by the people who charge less than the others, who target the M & S costomers.

What might shock some of the " I would'nt clean a suite for less than " £150 brigade, would be the earnings of these guys.

They are usually in their 20's and 30's and prepared to work extremely hard and long and they're average job value is probably around £60, because they get a couple of carpets to clean with each suite.

If you consider, that they probably average 5 - 6 jobs per day and a couple on Saturday, they are probably earning more than you and many others, who imagine themselves to be astute businessmen.

I know a fair number of them and I was there myself, years ago.

Hard work........................of course, but the suppliers love them and depend on them for the business they generate.

Still tickling

Robbie

Another good post I don't have to write - welcome back Rob!

Regards

Mike

Steve Chapman

« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2006, 10:18:21 pm »

what you charge has nothing to do with overheads or lack of them, (when I got a new van on lease should I have put up my prices because my 'overheads ' went up?)

Mike

Mike I just did! ;D ;D ;D :-X

regards
steve

the red carpet

« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2006, 10:35:49 pm »
So did i ;D, why should we be paying for flash vans and new equipment at the end of the day its not us who want it, a carpet cleaning machine is not something iv always desired its something my customers want i just turn up with it.

Buying a new van and t/m helped me justify a price rise, im now making the same profit as i was per job
But the jobs are easier to do and the vans not in the garage every week, wich means less stress for me

Decent equipment pays for itself, it gives you more time to concentrate on other things.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2006, 10:41:13 pm »
New shiny machines give a professional image, watch your recommendations rise.

Shaun

David_Annable

« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2006, 10:43:50 pm »
Hi

Shaun

Whats a professional image?

Dave
NCCA, Woolsafe, IICRC Leather Cleaning Technician

carpetguy

« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2006, 10:50:18 pm »
  :) Thanks Mike

My laptop was getting lonely and I've been put on medication for heart artery problem, rather than bypass surgery'

I would state catagorically, that my heart problem and wrecked back, have nothing to do with this industry.

The artery blockage is genetic and the back problem, is the result of undiagnosed pelvic misalignment, which gave me problems from my teens, only being properly diagnosed about 5 years ago, after 40 years of agony.  I went on to train in this alignment technique and am a registered practitioner.

I should have quit c/c altogether, but still do a little.

robbie

David ..........look in a mirror, hopefully, you will see one !

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2006, 10:54:19 pm »
ask your Mother

Shaun

Bill Prior

« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2006, 11:05:46 am »
I charge £49 to clean a suite.
Carpets are from £18 per room.

I pre vac, spray, agitate, extract and use a decent machine.

I'm always busy (employ 1 person who does most of my work)  ;D

On average we take about £1,300 per week which I'm happy with.

Our prices are Splash n Dash but our service is not.

All to their own   8)

Phil Marlor

« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2006, 11:38:59 am »

I wouldn't mind getting someone else to do the suite @ £49.00, but as for me doing it, no chance!

Your guy is one in a million if he is doing a good job and handing over that much to you each week.

Poor bloke will be burned out by the time he is 30! ;)

Phil
Stevenage, Herts

Bill Prior

« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2006, 11:44:23 am »

I wouldn't mind getting someone else to do the suite @ £49.00, but as for me doing it, no chance!

Your guy is one in a million if he is doing a good job and handing over that much to you each week.

Poor bloke will be burned out by the time he is 30! ;)

Phil

Nearly all are invoiced on a 14 day account. The only cash they hand to him is a tenner tip!

cleaning co

« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2006, 02:14:37 pm »
invoiced after 14 days ?  are these domestic custys  if so y o y would u do this ?  are u a madman !!! lol  after 14 days some people with lots kids hav made them dirty again and would try to blame u saying u didnt clean them proper!!   please tell me these are not domestic custys lol
gary
p.s when i done this sort of work 9 out 10 jobs were one carpet jobs and the type of custy u would never trust not to pay u there and then !!

carpetguy

« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2006, 04:46:17 pm »
I don't think you could regard £50 as a splash n dash price.....they are half that price.

robbie

« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2006, 06:04:30 pm »

Here you go Bill, I'm sure your company qualifies at those prices. ;D

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/registeredcharities/first.asp

If you are paying your man well then you are making no profit and if you ain't, how long before he sets up for himself? On the other hand, he could be real stupid, and you are taking advantage. But hey there's one born every minute I spose. ;D 

Cloverleaf

« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2006, 09:19:40 pm »
Update:

the company  that initially did the quote was for the suite £300 and a small kitchen carpet polyprop + 1 sq yd of hall = £70. Kitchen and hall took 20 mins.

Good if you can get it!

The retired lady felt totally ripped off by the quote. They took a 10% deposit of £37 and when she asked for a refund, they said we'll get back to you on that (not)! :o

Fast Track leaflets and advertising etc.

In comparison, I'v just had a crown fitted for £280, of the dental type  ;D

John

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2006, 01:37:48 pm »
I have just had an "Homeclean" leaflet through my door and they state £17 a seat

Carpets  £34 lounge
through lounge £42
stairs/ landing £38
bedroom £30

All these prices are supposedly half price

Dave

cleantime services

« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2006, 12:35:03 pm »
Our machines clean suites from £15 including detergents etc. No complaints and always busy.
CARPET CLEANING HIRE MACHINES FROM £15 PER DAY, INCLUDING DETERGENT ETC. DELIVERY/COLLECTION £10.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2006, 06:57:53 pm »
wow i am chargeing way to little at 35 pounds for a full suite ! it takes me 3 hours to do it   :'( i must move to a better place to get more money from this job

and befour you lot have ago ive been cleanoing for 15 years now and i am not a fly buy night  :( just if i started to quote anything over this i would end up with no work

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2006, 07:01:44 pm »

regards
steve

So you must only earn what you need?
99% who charge £40.00 for a 3 piece suite do a crap job, FACT!

Phil

not true my friend , maybe its down to how big your market is and what all the others are working for . haveing been cleaning myself for 15years and my farther 10 years befour that i guess i shoulf know what i am doing , just the market here where i am wont let me charge any more  :(

dave401uk

« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2006, 07:50:18 pm »
1st clean, just out of interest, where abouts do you work, as for the market wont tolerate a decent price for a suite clean,.....if they bought a suite from DFS, in Chelsea it would cost X if they bought it near to you it would cost X, the likes of DFS etc don't have a regional pricing policy, i my self wont touch a suite for less than £140, Some wont pay that amount, but a lot do! for 3 plus hrs work, its fair

Dave                             
Its never a pass of the wand,just a master stroke.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2006, 08:28:48 pm »
1st clean, just out of interest, where abouts do you work, as for the market wont tolerate a decent price for a suite clean,.....if they bought a suite from DFS, in Chelsea it would cost X if they bought it near to you it would cost X, the likes of DFS etc don't have a regional pricing policy, i my self wont touch a suite for less than £140, Some wont pay that amount, but a lot do! for 3 plus hrs work, its fair

Dave                             

very true mate i see what your saying and your spot on

but working round clevland theres not alot of money around ,but maybe its me sitiing back in my comfort zone and stopping with what i know , just think its wrong to knock people for chargeing less then others must be a man thing !  lol  susan  ;D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2006, 09:00:04 pm »
Susan I used to charge £35 a suite with the metality of knowone will pay more, you will be surprised, I charge £135 now and I'm going to put it up again.

Go out and visit customers and tell them how good you cleanand inch it up £15-20 at first.

You'll get more customers because you have visited them, they like to know who they are dealing with.

If price shoppers call just say your prices are from £25-65 (or something like that) £25 smallest invoice charge, and then if you don't charge them £65 as they may be expecting it and go say £55 you'll get most and then a carpet in the lounge should get you even more!

Shaun

PS if you do the same things expect to get the same results.

rich hand

« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2006, 09:25:55 pm »
Over the phone £95 is often the top price for a suite, I started at £75 but quickly put it up. If I visit I get 110/115. Ive just put this up to £125 and will see how I go. I believe £145 is about right however. 

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2006, 09:31:09 pm »
Customers perception of upholstery cleaning is poor, but you can clean 3 carpets (at a better rate) at least to 1 3pc.

Rich if you get £145 approx. for a 3pc what do you get for carpets?

Shaun

rich hand

« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2006, 09:52:21 pm »
Shaun as yet I dont get £145 for a suite, but hopefully £125. For carpets I get £2/m on average and £2/step equating to 39/49 for a common lounge and 59/65 for a thru lounge. I make sure it all adds up to £50/h anyway.

AS a side note I am realising that a leather suite can provide atleast £95 and maybe more if you can sell conditioner seperately and with the Strong cleaner from Ltt leather is easy.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2006, 10:01:00 pm »
I'm sure that LTT's cleaners are very good but I can recommend www.furnitureclinic.co.uk they are cheaper for may be the same stuff.

Perhaps look for the tel.no. and speak to Ben.

Other things to consider are a scotchguard style of protection cream that does repel most stains just rub in, and if the leather is dull a gloss or matt finish- all add ons.

Shaun

fletch

« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2006, 10:06:58 pm »
I did my first leather suite today  :) charged the guy £65 and took me 1hr 40mins.
Used Furniture Clinic products and it was very straight-forward to do.
DIVIDE & CONQUER

rich hand

« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2006, 10:22:14 pm »
Are furniture clinics cleaners similar to Ltt in that you only have to rub gently? In contrast prochems leather cleaner needs loads of elbow grease.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2006, 10:27:50 pm »
I'm being cautious with what I put, but I believe that they are 1 of the best, I have used quite a few cleaners bought and given to me of the years and I believe that they are

1. good products
2. good back up

I'm sure Judy at LTT offers the same but Ben's are cheaper, and I like the advice that he freely gives. IMO.

Shaun

Alan Brooker. Aqualink Carpet Care

« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2006, 12:47:50 am »
Surely I can't be the most expensive on here??
I charge £40 per seating unit for exhaustive cleaning and £60 to include stain protection.
That's £200 - £300 for a three piece suite. I never drop below that and clients keep coming back.
Same for carpets, £5+ per M sq. for exhaustive cleaning and £7.50 per M sq. to include stain protection.

If you really know what your doing then don't be afraid to market yourself toward more affluent clients! If you dont then the likes of Chemdry will...

Alan
Experience does not qualify as Knowledge and Understanding.
Understand how and why and you'll produce great results.

IICRC, Woolsafe, Fenice & LTT trained.
Member of Eco Carpet Care, NCCA & Woolsafe.

*paul_moss

« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2006, 07:10:32 pm »
Im £135 for a  cloth suite and £150 for leather.I get loads of them and in Jan cloth is going up to £150.
3 years ago I used o do suites for £50 and some thought I was too expensive  :o,its about finding the right customers and changing your mind set
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

rich hand

« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2006, 08:12:46 pm »
Surely I can't be the most expensive on here??
I charge £40 per seating unit for exhaustive cleaning and £60 to include stain protection.
That's £200 - £300 for a three piece suite. I never drop below that and clients keep coming back.
Same for carpets, £5+ per M sq. for exhaustive cleaning and £7.50 per M sq. to include stain protection.

If you really know what your doing then don't be afraid to market yourself toward more affluent clients! If you dont then the likes of Chemdry will...

Alan

And to think that I got bollocked the other day for charging £39 for stairs and landing that took me 40 minutes!  ;D

Alan Brooker. Aqualink Carpet Care

« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2006, 12:43:00 pm »
Only 40 minutes? ;D
Experience does not qualify as Knowledge and Understanding.
Understand how and why and you'll produce great results.

IICRC, Woolsafe, Fenice & LTT trained.
Member of Eco Carpet Care, NCCA & Woolsafe.