john martin

Re: what do you use in your tank?
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2015, 04:56:33 pm »

Just buy some citric acid powder on ebay  , shake a bit into the water tank every few days , run it through the hoses , inheater etc .  Watch any chalky buildup on filters , imersions or any thing else disappear instantly .  Must be for same inside the pump , connections etc .

It can also be your acid rince if ever need any .

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Anhydrous-Citric-Acid-250g-500g-1Kg-2Kg-5Kg-10Kg-25Kg-Food-Grade-Bath-Bombs-/380722519910?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item58a4d49f66

JandS

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2015, 06:34:21 pm »
Where you get your pump heads from Stuart?
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Simon Campbell

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2015, 07:20:46 pm »
Wow...this has been a very informative thread for me. I am from the school of choosing the appropriate pre-spray and then acid rinse then treat what's left. Just so I have this right...if I for example use F90 powder mixed into my solution tank I don't have to pre-spray? The F90 will clean and also leave the carpet neutral? Seems a no brainer to me.

I am going to have to try this...! And Being honest I haven't heard of a finishing spray so I will have to try that as well

Cheers guys

md_cleaning

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2015, 08:48:36 pm »
Well this thread certainly got everyone talking, thanks for all the replies

Simon Campbell

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2015, 08:54:37 pm »
Yeah good shout md...!

stuart_clark

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2015, 09:14:44 pm »
Jands

I get the heads from WCS   they cost me about £120 plus vat but I do get a discount

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2015, 09:30:38 pm »
I have no doubt that high alkaline cleaning agents Can be aggressive, my post refers to their ill found reputation to cause re-soiling and the fact that people automatically mention re-soiling when they are mentioned but are unwilling to reference any actually studies to back it up and just use terms like 'in my years of experience' or give thier personal opinion as though it was fact.

Hi Mike, again i have found from my experience which i am happy to share and not saying that its fact, re-soiling can be attributed to detergent residues left behind after cleaning, detergents by design will attract soils ( i am not just talking about high alkaline ones but all types of detergents ) by leaving detergent residues in carpets and upholstery after cleaning, detergents rapidly attract soils, to limit this i have found its better not to put any detergent in the clean tank. So first i would give the carpet a good thorough vac ( not with a Henry by the way but with a good decent commercial vac cleaner ) then pre-spray the carpet with detergent ( i would not use high alkaline ones as i have found them to be aggressive especially if you are going to be cleaning them for clients on a regular basis as you want to become a cleaner they can trust and rely on, anyway its up to each which type of detergent they choose, allow dwell time agitate if required then using only warm water in your extraction machine proceed to spray and extract. i have found with this method and using less aggressive detergents that you don't have to worry about acid rinsing,browning,fibers feeling crusty,etc.

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2015, 09:49:08 pm »
I also meant to add that no one should believe if an acid rinse is used that there won't be any residues left behind to attract soils, as this is not true and just another reason for manufacturers to sell more products.

john martin

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2015, 10:17:15 pm »
I have no doubt that high alkaline cleaning agents Can be aggressive, my post refers to their ill found reputation to cause re-soiling and the fact that people automatically mention re-soiling when they are mentioned but are unwilling to reference any actually studies to back it up and just use terms like 'in my years of experience' or give thier personal opinion as though it was fact.

Hi Mike, again i have found from my experience which i am happy to share and not saying that its fact, re-soiling can be attributed to detergent residues left behind after cleaning, detergents by design will attract soils ( i am not just talking about high alkaline ones but all types of detergents ) by leaving detergent residues in carpets and upholstery after cleaning, detergents rapidly attract soils, to limit this i have found its better not to put any detergent in the clean tank. So first i would give the carpet a good thorough vac ( not with a Henry by the way but with a good decent commercial vac cleaner ) then pre-spray the carpet with detergent ( i would not use high alkaline ones as i have found them to be aggressive especially if you are going to be cleaning them for clients on a regular basis as you want to become a cleaner they can trust and rely on, anyway its up to each which type of detergent they choose, allow dwell time agitate if required then using only warm water in your extraction machine proceed to spray and extract. i have found with this method and using less aggressive detergents that you don't have to worry about acid rinsing,browning,fibers feeling crusty,etc.

' Detergent '  is not a substance or a product  , its a loose name given to huge collection of different cleaning products and ingredient mixes .
You you need to qualify what you say by naming the exact product u used when u believe u witnessed rapid resoiling  , the equipment , the method , the carpet ...

I almost always use an product intank as well as prespray if necessary , i often look at rooms iv previously done when im back doing another and i have not witnessed rapid resoiling with the products i use .

John Kelly

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2015, 10:20:41 pm »
Detergents used as prescibed do not cause rapid re-soiling, stop scare m ongering

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2015, 10:25:58 pm »
Hi John, thats why i used the word detergent it covers a whole range of different types of cleaning technologies all which can and are produced to attract soils, as i am not paying for advertising at the moment its not fair of me to mention products, again John i am sharing what i have found from my experience and am not saying its fact.

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2015, 10:27:40 pm »
Detergents used as prescibed do not cause rapid re-soiling, stop scare m ongering
John, stop being daft.

darren72

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2015, 10:31:04 pm »
Is this not the same guy that made a complete arse of himself when telling people how to clean leather.

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2015, 10:40:44 pm »
Hi John, thats why i used the word detergent it covers a whole range of different types of cleaning technologies all which can and are produced to attract soils, as i am not paying for advertising at the moment its not fair of me to mention products, again John i am sharing what i have found from my experience and am not saying its fact.
John, i am sharing the method i have found to be most effective in leaving carpets and upholstery free of detergent residue and helps to minimise re-soiling, i am not saying my method is fact.

What i am trying to get across is detergents attract soils and this is fact.
We could not clean surfaces with detergents if they did not attract dirt or soils or whatever you want to call them.

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2015, 10:44:40 pm »
Is this not the same guy that made a complete arse of himself when telling people how to clean leather.
Keep it coming Darren, your doing well.

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2015, 10:46:16 pm »

sure is.

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2015, 10:52:51 pm »

sure is.
And the advice is free.

James Jacob

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2015, 12:58:07 am »
Ive used high alkaline powders in my machine ever since i bought it 12 years ago & ive never had a problem with rapid resoiling in my life! so i struggle to understand all this talking of sticky residues? ive never ever seen or experienced anything like that... i also clean my own carpets here in my house & last house with the same methods & detergents i use in customers houses, & ive never had any problems :) rapid resoiling in my world depends on how many times i go in & out of the garden without wiping my feet first... lol

Mike Halliday

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2015, 07:17:39 am »
to say a detergent can leave a  residue that is sticky, so dirt will stick to it and cause re-soiling is a bit of a quendry, to be 'sticky' a surface needs to have a certain amount of moisture , in most cases something that is dry cannot be sticky ( unless you go into oil based products, but we are talking about water based cleaners) so if we clean a carpet then it dries the minimal amount of detergent left has not only to be in a suffient quantity but also never completely dry.

Let's look at another idea that might be responsible for the idea that detergents cause re-soiling.... The old practice of including optical brighteners in detergents.

So ( years ago) you cleaned a carpet and it looked amazing :D :D, the colours looked bright and the stains had gone, but a couple of weeks later you go back to the house and it looks crap :'( :'(

had it re-soiled? or have the optical brighteners that created the illusion that the carpet looked really clean ceased to work?.

Perhaps this is where the idea of resoiling came from, not from 'sticky residue' but the old use of optical brighteners ( I say 'old use' as I don't think optical brighteners are still added to modern detergents)
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

stuart_clark

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2015, 07:32:35 am »
Well this morning I am cleaning a church hall, solutions heavy duty microsplitter and hot water rinse ! Why ? Because I want to use it up and its an ideal scenario , I have twenty litres left of this product and the only chemical left on my shelves from solutions

Stuart