The Carpet Cleaning Pro

Industry on the decline
« on: July 06, 2012, 09:05:03 pm »
I think this industry is in the mist of a massive decline if not doomed and think this is due to the way the internet has been used. Bookings just seem to be harder and harder to come by for some businesses. Seems to me the winners here are thew advertising companies taking the money from us that we work hard for getting from the customer for a job well done.

Simon Gerrard

Re: Industry on the decline
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 09:19:00 pm »
Disagree with that. Like everyone sales are harder to come by these days but that is hardly surprising given the economic doom and gloom that has gripped the entire world. But to say our industry is doomed is going too far. We are as busy this year and we have ever been but we do have to work harder to to achieve that but it's do-able.

Simon

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 09:26:39 pm »
And what advertising companies? The Internet is by a country mile the cheapest and most effective form of advertising, without it we really would be sunk.

Simon

Mike Halliday

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 10:01:21 pm »
when the going gets tough..... the tough get going

its a great time for the enthusiastic small business,   hard times are good for getting rid of the chaff and allowing us real men to reap the spoils :D :D

I love to feel the crunch of a failed business under my boot as i climb the height of success, i feed on the tears of their failed dreams as i bask in the sunshine of  victory.

I think that's enough metaphors for a Friday might ;D ;D
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Paul Moss

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 10:06:15 pm »
Is metaphors a new kind of beer Mike and you have had a few  ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 10:11:13 pm »
ooohhhh just thought of another one........

as the light of the soul of another failure dims like the moon dims before dawn,

I blaze a path of brilliant illuminations that will act as a beacon of hope to the men who truly seek the path of riches  

hic..hic
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Simon Gerrard

derek west

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 10:37:31 pm »
I think this industry is in the mist of a massive decline if not doomed and think this is due to the way the internet has been used. Bookings just seem to be harder and harder to come by for some businesses. Seems to me the winners here are thew advertising companies taking the money from us that we work hard for getting from the customer for a job well done.

and yet you swear by groupon, i really don't get it mick.  ??? ??? ???

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 10:46:39 pm »
and yet you swear by groupon, i really don't get it mick

I was thinking that. No need for someone who can make a success of groupon can ever think the industry is in decline. ???

Jim_77

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 10:48:31 pm »
Mike, you're a taxi!

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 11:05:49 pm »
Lol

I like it Jim

Shaun

PS I think Mike has been reading 'hitting the wall' or something like that,

PPS One from me

Thou whom tarry to syllan shall will end up with nary

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 02:00:09 am »

and yet you swear by groupon, i really don't get it mick.  ??? ??? ???

I was not talking about me personally. It was a general observation from reading many posts on here and looking at all the negative quotes from people on here. I think one of the main problems is that people haver lost the confidence in what we do due to what others do incorrectly.

Fran84

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 09:30:06 am »
I like to see it as people who are struggling/can't run there on ship properly are just looking for someone to blame.

Our amount of jobs are down this year. However, the job average is going up so is compensating.

Craigp

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 09:46:38 am »
Mick, you got half price on your site with no price? Huh, half price of what, to what?

why have a price list with no price.

****1 Bedroom House / Flat / Bungalow - All carpets cleaned HALF PRICE
2 Bedroom House / Flat / Bungalow - All carpets cleaned HALF PRICE
3 Bedroom House / Flat / Bungalow - All carpets cleaned HALF PRICE
4 Bedroom House / Flat / Bungalow - All carpets cleaned HALF PRICE
Carpet Stain Protector with StainShield™ - HALF PRICE

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 09:59:40 am »
I was not talking about me personally. It was a general observation from reading many posts on here and looking at all the negative quotes from people on here. I think one of the main problems is that people have lost the confidence in what we do due to what others do incorrectly.

Mick,
Other cleaners, the so called 'Cowboys,' have been giving the rest of us a bad reputation for all 36 years I've been in the business. The public have always been wary of carpet cleaners because for every good one there seems many more bad ones, but there is nothing new in that and it certainly doesn't mean the industry is in some kind of terminal decline because of it. The 'upshot' for the professional outfits is that when a customer finds you they tend to hold on to you - forever.
I think you are completely misreading either your own, or other people's situations and I certainly don't detect any kind of decline.

Simon

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 10:05:25 am »
The same thing happens in almost any trade.

Builders have had their own programs on telly for years and still people get ripped off.

God must love stupid people---He made so many.

wynne jones

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 10:06:57 am »
The industry is certainly in decline, it's being attacked from all angles.

Hardfloors/laminates, more competition, hire machines and QVC Bissels that do just as good a job as a truckmount, the new British climate, the economy, people have no shame when it comes to being dirty beggars....... the list goes on.

You can home in on these things as an excuse as to why you are not doing so well, yet the real reason is YOU. Because there's a guy down the road doing very well thank you and he is trading in exactly the same circumstances as you.

There are still tens of thousands of carpets waiting to be cleaned and you don't even have to be the number 1 in your area to make a very good living, but you do have to make it happen.

And when I say 'You' I mean anyone who is blaming anything but themselves for their predicament.  
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 10:12:04 am »
The industry is certainly in decline, it's being attacked from all angles.

Hardfloors/laminates, more competition, hire machines and QVC Bissels that do just as good a job as a truckmount, the new British climate, the economy, people have no shame when it comes to being dirty beggars....... the list goes on.

You can home in on these things as an excuse as to why you are not doing so well, yet the real reason is YOU. Because there's a guy down the road doing very well thank you and he is trading in exactly the same circumstances as you.

There are still tens of thousands of carpets waiting to be cleaned and you don't even have to be the number 1 in your area to make a very good living, but you do have to make it happen.

And when I say 'You' I mean anyone who is blaming anything but themselves for their predicament.  

Top notch post, Wynne, agree with every word.

Simon

*Hector*

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 10:30:07 am »
 ;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Mike_Roper

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 10:48:10 am »
Theres a saying 'if you want something doing ask a busy man '. Quite likely because a busy person is organised , motivated so manage their time more effectively. I also think looking a different way that if your not busy you seem to be discouraged which has a very negative effect on your self motivation, you get lethargic , cant be bothered , lack enthusiasm. Just think of a day when you havnt got much booked in , nothing in the morning perhaps, you find you waste time in the morning which in turn has that cant be bothered effect on the rest of the day.
Its a vicious circle you have to sort , its more of a mental thing. You have to keep enthusiastic , your heart must be in it. Keep the go get it mentality , go looking for work and when you get it do it to the very highest standard. Remember people buy 'you' as much as the service you offer, are you a people person ? If they dont 'like' you they wont get you back !
Mike