Susan Dean (1stclean)

Should I start a price war in my new area
« on: June 18, 2012, 08:16:12 am »
well ive been training a famly friend here for two months and i am going to set him on his way cleaning with a turck mount and van , chems everything northing flash just an old 58 reg ldv and max dev

hes from  essex and i was thinking of going in low too start putting a few nose out joint just because i can  ;D even sending hubby down with our brand new set up just too help out and  sort any problems out ,

but will i be to cheap at full houses for 70 pounds , ect ect ect  maybe i should go with the flow and charge top money ??????  but i do like a price war its got to be said but i dont like trying to up the prices after as its like starting again and its very hard

bank rolling him is not a problem at all mmmmmmmmm  

Mike Halliday

Re: should i start a price war in my new area
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 08:27:18 am »
if you've got the money I would go with high prices and carpet bomb his local area with leaflets every 2 weeks for 3 months, a bill board van driving around the streets  advertising his company.

i would do so much marketing  that all the people in his area would be  seeing his name in their sleep,
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Paul Clapham

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 10:07:44 am »
Slightly odd post, at the end of the day you will need to make a profit, as you are "bank rolling " your family friend , surely you will want your investment back ?

I think you have also answered your own question with regards to trying to "up" your prices from a low start .

Have you not written a business plan , or an action plan for this new venture, it all seem a little "Heath Robinson" and "Gun Ho"  :o
This is the season for fine wine, and drunken friends, enjoy this moment, for this moment is your life.

Gary Longley

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 10:31:48 am »
Susan Dean, for a female [?], you seem very knowledgable in a mans carpet cleaning world which beggars the question?

£70 for a full house? I'm sorry but you must be mad. Try putting a 1 or 2 in front!!  :o

Steve Chapman

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 11:49:57 am »
If you do it for free then everyone will want you and you'll be busy all the time  ;D

It's a no brainer really  ;)

Steve

Stephen Callinan

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 12:18:43 pm »
What goes around comes around.

Helen

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 12:55:49 pm »
Susan Dean, for a female [?], you seem very knowledgable in a mans carpet cleaning world which beggars the question?

OI!!!! Who says it is a man's world..... :)
£70 for a full house? I'm sorry but you must be mad. Try putting a 1 or 2 in front!!  :o
Totally agree too cheap, think someone was bored when they started this thread and thought they would have a wind up
Start as you mean to go on that's what I say :)

Gary Longley

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 02:00:16 pm »

Start a price war, but you wont make any or very little profit. But hey ho, you say you have plenty of money to 'run with it', go for it, sounds great, everyone likes a bargain  :D

Craigp

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 02:45:49 pm »
I'm with Steve, offer free carpet cleaning, I mean why bother taking money for your service. Plus you'll wipe the floor with your competition. Hmm why don't we all do that?

Are we talking to Susan or a man?

I hate when guys use their partners profile and we don't know who we are talking too.

Paul H

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 02:52:46 pm »
you may win the short term battle

but not the long term war  ;D

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 04:07:27 pm »
I get firms leaflet dropping my area, when they do i pull out of my local paper.
I find I am a lot busier as their leaflet reminds my customers to get there carpets cleaned.
When customer mentions they got the leaflet, i ask why didnt they go for the low price,
usually the reply is pay cheap you get cheap, or, how can they do it for such a low price.

The other company will get some work from their low priced leaflets, but they are generally not the type of customer I work for. Everyone in my town knows me and what i do, thats why they call us, however in a large town city, you dont get that kind of loyalty the same as out here in the sticks.

Personally, if you have the money I would bankroll a quality service, it only lowers the perception of a carpet cleaner, and its not good for the industry. When Chemdry came over here, most of us doubled our prices and where still cheaper and better !!

Andrew

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 04:12:00 pm »
CD did us a great service all those years ago- we rode on the back of their price list and their marketing.
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 04:47:35 pm »

ive been cleaning carpets n this mans world for over 30 years   ;D, oh 70 pounds to cheap thats what we are chargeing here right now for a 2 bed house , 65-70 for suites , ect ectt ect all pulling up with nice shiney new vans and truckmounts , can never understand why people think that chargeing little you cant make money i do 

as for hateing people that use other people profiles c, trust me my julian doesnt come on here hes to tied up with the shop and his new idear of wanting a window cleaning round and a new shop and a new farm to do up again , oh and more houses to rent out lolololol

so back to my friend (member of familyish) think i may go with mikes idear i know what most are chargeing as ive already phone them or had them out to do quotes at a friends house .

but what an i dear free carpet cleaning !!!!!! that would defo get you noticed and some free paper space as well !!!!! think ill talked to j when he comes in as its made me smile alot and i do like that idear ALOT

Stephen Callinan

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 05:25:47 pm »
Nonsence

Gary Longley

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 05:42:29 pm »
 I think Susan Dean is a man, non-English (bad spelling & grammer)  ;D

I was a detective in my previous life  ;D

Dave_Lee

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 05:45:35 pm »
Susan,
You are back on the forum scene and making the same arguments/points that you were years ago.
Of course you can make money by going in cheap, but only if you come out fast with it. At £70.. for a two bed house, how many houses would you need to be doing in a day.
Many Tmers would be looking to take £300 - £500 a day, at £70.. that's a fair few houses, but like I said if it's quick, then it can be done.
The answer most probably lies in each operators perception of 'Quality'. Of course we all think that we are the best, the Bees knees of Carpet Cleaners, and if anyone doesn't think that about themselves, they need to look at what they are doing.
All I can add is that £70 for a two bed house is the kind of price I was charging well over 20 years ago.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Steven Lawrence

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 05:47:37 pm »
good for you! go for it, i do enjoy a good war!

Gary Longley

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 05:51:19 pm »

The English always win too!!!   ;D

Steven Lawrence

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 06:05:10 pm »

i hope we do tomorrow!!  ;D ;D

Gary Longley

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 06:05:42 pm »

i hope we do tomorrow!!  ;D ;D

O yes, come ON!!!!  ;D