Colin Day

Re: Scorpian as TM question
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 10:30:41 pm »
The Scorps ........................................., why run it as a TM?

And why not? All bar a handfull of jobs I can reach as far as I need with 75 foot of hoses from the van parked near the property, and this distance is well within the capabilities of the machine.
All I need to do besides the solution/waste hoses is run 2 sets of electrical cables out, which if you're organised hardly adds any extra time to the setting up, as you will be going back and fo initially during the setting up.

I sort of do what half of what you say because I have to run the Zeta from the van. ie, electric extension to the van, hose feed and solution hose from the van. All worth it for the hot water I can achieve...? Definitely...

But to slip the Jag out and plug it in (Ooooh, matron) takes so little time and effort I do this while the SPM's dwelling after agitation...

I just need 1x50ft hose and I'm good to go.

Time management and efficiency are paramount for me, as I am a full time house husband and have limited hours.... So believe me, I have tried every avenue and have come up with one that takes some beating...

Jim's probably right though, I am a closet TMer, just wanting to come out.... ;D

Jim_77

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 10:33:39 pm »
You have the same wallpaper as me though which is quite disturbing!!!

Colin Day

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 10:39:36 pm »
You have the same wallpaper as me though which is quite disturbing!!!

That's a photo of me in your house... flooding your carpets.... ;D ;D ;D

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 10:57:07 pm »
Why would you want to run it as a truck mount

To save time filling it up and emptying it.  Clean the Lounge on to next job.

Jim_77

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 02:17:18 am »
Sh*t, I wondered where that musty smell came from.. I thought it was the dog!!!

MAX Carpets

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2012, 08:01:49 am »
May I add (take cover) in my opinion it looks more professional to use TM.

#AimFire

Helen

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 09:28:33 am »
May I add (take cover) in my opinion it looks more professional to use TM.

#AimFire

Who does it look more professional to?
99% of the public haven't got a clue what is involved in carpet cleaning hence why thre's a market place for rug doctors both used and hired.
The only people it looks more professional to are other carpet cleaners.

MAX Carpets

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 09:48:08 am »
That was a bit of a joke, hence #AimFire

Although we do get a lot of people ask the question "Do you have one of those machines in the back of your van?"

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 09:55:59 am »
99% of the public haven't got a clue what is involved in carpet cleaning hence why thre's a market place for rug doctors both used and hired.

Sorry, disagree with that. One of the most powerful aspects of a TM is it's ability to look the part and whether or not the public understand the technical aspects of carpet cleaning is irrelevant, they can still recognise a serious piece of kit when they see it and makes them feel that they are dealing with a serious company focused on quality. That's not me talking, that's what our customers tell us.
Unfortunately people - lots of people, it seems, get a raw deal from carpet cleaners and next time around they tend to be a lot more careful about who they book and a TM because it looks the part, or at least much more professional that the last guy who turned up with some Mickey Mouse machine.
So from a marketing perspective a TM is a big PLUS.

Simon

Helen

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2012, 10:10:33 am »
That was a bit of a joke, hence #AimFire

Although we do get a lot of people ask the question "Do you have one of those machines in the back of your van?"

I know ;D Thought I would start the "firing"  ;D

We get asked this question now, moresoever than before, which I think is brilliant as Joe Public are starting to understand what is right and what is wrong.....
The beauty of having a portie that can stay in the van, is that when asked the question"does your machine stay in the van" we can answer "yes"
and when people say "the last time we had it done was one of those van machines and we weren't happy" (yes it does happen!) we can say no, ours comes out of the van ;D ;D ;D

MAX Carpets

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2012, 10:12:55 am »
Your a Brave Man Simon, a very brave Man ;0)

Colin Day

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2012, 10:14:08 am »
It's only really us carpet cleaners who can appreciate the differences between a TM and a Porty. Customers just want their carpets cleaned and dry in no time at all. Most of us achieve this with the equipment we have.

In considering getting a TM, I am more allured by at how efficient I would be if I had one. I certainly wouldn't start boring the pants of a customer (especially an old dear) about the horsepower of my machine, that's just cringe-worthy.... ;D

If I was getting 3 quotes for my patio to be cleaned, and one started going on about how bigger and better his machine was, I'd probably assume that they were going to charge more not because they'd do a better job, but to cover the cost of their big (Commercial) toy.

Helen

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2012, 10:14:51 am »

Sorry, disagree with that. One of the most powerful aspects of a TM is it's ability to look the part and whether or not the public understand the technical aspects of carpet cleaning is irrelevant, they can still recognise a serious piece of kit when they see it and makes them feel that they are dealing with a serious company focused on quality. That's not me talking, that's what our customers tell us.
Unfortunately people - lots of people, it seems, get a raw deal from carpet cleaners and next time around they tend to be a lot more careful about who they book and a TM because it looks the part, or at least much more professional that the last guy who turned up with some Mickey Mouse machine.
So from a marketing perspective a TM is a big PLUS.

Simon

Chill Simon, many custies do not get a raw deal from portie users either and again it's how you use your "kit" , not how "big" it is ;D ;D ;D

Helen

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2012, 10:16:02 am »
That's cheating  ;D ;D

Woman's logic ;D ;D ;D

Isn't it what it is all about...........what the customer wants ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2012, 12:07:24 pm »
Of course customers have no idea about the difference betreen a T/M and a portable the same as they don't know the difference  betreen a rug doctor and a professional machine....... that's why we need to tell them.

One of the reasons I only try and do home quotes is it allows me to explain to the customer why I'm charging more than  ABC carpet cleaners.

To say customers don't care about what we use is not true it's like saying we just want a machine that clean carpets we don't want to know it's specification it just has to clean carpets.

If we don't tell them why we are different why would they chose us over a cheaper company
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

des

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2012, 12:40:58 pm »
Why not phone Nick at solutions and get first class advice
des at mister clean

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2012, 12:49:00 pm »
I also think customers take YOU more seriously when you explain the technical differences between a porty and a TM. I think people believe, or can be made to believe that because the TM is so much bigger that it will do a better job and most are willing to pay more to get the straight quality. Whether they get extra quality or not is as we all know not down to the machine, but entirely in the hands of the operator, but the customers doesn't know that.

Simon

gwrightson

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2012, 01:01:36 pm »
Posted by: Mike Halliday  Posted on: Today at 12:07:24 pm 
Insert Quote 
Of course customers have no idea about the difference betreen a T/M and a portable the same as they don't know the difference  betreen a rug doctor and a professional machine....... that's why we need to tell them.

One of the reasons I only try and do home quotes is it allows me to explain to the customer why I'm charging more than  ABC carpet cleaners.

To say customers don't care about what we use is not true it's like saying we just want a machine that clean carpets we don't want to know it's specification it just has to clean carpets.

If we don't tell them why we are different why would they chose us over a cheaper company 

Spot on.
I went to quote last week,  the fisrt thing the lady said it was her intentions
to get another 2 or 3 quotes, now normaly i would i would think price seeker straight away , but she did say she was not neccasarlily looking for the cheapest quote.  I talked her through the procdeures,explained about the t/m  :)  guess what ?   she booked me in there and then not even bothering to get another quote.
So in a nut shell a t/m does make a difference ............. most of the time .

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

john martin

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2012, 01:23:14 pm »
chances are its your confidence and apparent Competence thats winning over the customer more than the technical details ...

anyway you dont need a big TM to clean some granny's suite and cluttered lounge  :D

Did i hear someone say Alltec is working on a dedicated electric TM ...

any details anyone ?    :)