MAX Carpets

Scorpian as TM question
« on: February 25, 2012, 05:30:23 pm »
Hi Guys

Quick question. If you run a Scorpain as a T/M using the Scorpian water tanks from Soloutions, how does the water travel from the clean water tank? And how about extension cables for the power, would you need one for each cable to avoid tripping, or could a multi plug extension be used? I only ask as I have brought a scorpian as a back up and am pondering setting it up in another van.

Cheers

Justin

john martin

Re: Scorpian as TM question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 06:03:50 pm »
You can see the pump feeder hose in this pic ... its just placed into the water tank , hes extended the length a bit ...  pump should prime from there .
( actually should have the  two pump hoses going in there ... or else thats the return and the feed is from the tank side we cant see ? )

http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb398/Big-J-Boy/Trailer%20Mount/?action=view&current=IMG_0949.jpg

Its best to use two cords ... you could get by with one extension lead for a short time ... the switch wont trip .. but the plug on the extension lead will get hot

would be best to buy a roll of 2.5mm three core and make two extension leads .

http://www.meteorelectrical.com/cables-accessories_flexes_artic-flex_3-core-2-5mm-blue-artic-flex.html

I would get the tanks fixed on a frame like in pic ... nothing worse than these things sliding around the van

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 07:42:22 pm »
Please don't try and run both lines from one extension, or in other words 3 vacs and a pump on the same line, because the 13 amp cable will overheat. So you will need 2 extension leads preferable plugged into the property at 2 different sockets.
Also totally unreel the reels because otherwise heat builds up on the winding.

Glynn

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 07:55:14 pm »
Why on earth would you want to run a portly from the van ?, reducing its limited performance even further.
Regards
Glynn

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 08:01:22 pm »
That's what I was thinking, plus running three electric cables to it :o :o

Craigp

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 08:05:48 pm »
That's my thoughts too.

What a hassle, just get a Truck Mount built for the job.

MAX Carpets

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 08:12:35 pm »
Your missing the point guys. I do run T/M, but I have brought a Scorpian as back up and to be used for mobile jobs. But it came with tanks, I have another van, I have a part time mamber of staff that knows his stuff. So, my thoughts are, set it up as T/M in van, let him use it, if we get any mobile jobs he can whip it out and use it that way. 

john martin

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 08:14:27 pm »
Why on earth would you want to run a portly from the van ?, reducing its limited performance even further.

Don't think there is a straight forward answer to that , just arguments pro and against ...
If i was to give a practical example in favor ,  u have to do an apartment ,perhaps its P***** rain ,  instead of hauling all the gear out u  just pull up close as you can ... grab your cords ... plug in .    If you have a reel just haul out the hose ...
from then on you shouldn't have to go outside or switch off the machine with a tank setup ...
Its mostly convince i suppose ... will work better on some occasions more than others .

neil ...  you are right of course ...  but '13amp' cable is 1.5mm  ,which no on should be using on higher demand gear ..
the scorpion comes with 2.5 mm cords ( if im not mistaken )  then you should just need two more 2.5mm cords <50' or so ..
with 2.5mm  the cable wont over heat like 1.5mm ... the plug fuse will be the weak point .

MAX Carpets

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 08:15:04 pm »
Oh, I have the frame as well. What about heater, different plug?

john martin

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 08:16:53 pm »
That's what I was thinking, plus running three electric cables to it :o :o

Two cables !         Christ ! i think im defending the scorpion  ;D

MAX Carpets

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 08:18:55 pm »
Cheers John, great help, many thanks. I know I sound a bit dumb, but I'm not up on my mobiles.

MAX Carpets

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 08:19:45 pm »
Plus I must add, that set up looks pretty neat I think..............for a porty ;0)

john martin

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 08:21:08 pm »
Oh, I have the frame as well. What about heater, different plug?

inline heater ?   bring it close to where your working ... try and put it on a different circuit to the scorpion ... kitchen or other room , you dont always know when your on another circuit ... if it trips just  move it elsewere

john martin

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 09:06:35 pm »
might just add ...  if you were determined to run a heater from the van on two cords ....
you could .. or i would plug some lower watt inlines into cord two.
example , craftex have an 1800w

cord one ( two 1500w vacs would be about 14 amps max)

cord two ( one 1500w vac + pumptec = 8 amps + 1800w inline = about 16 amps)

but better to have an inline close to the wand id say ... and 3000w if possible .

Colin Day

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 09:53:37 pm »
Sounds like a royal pain in the ass...

The Scorps light enough to load/unload, why run it as a TM?

Ok, I run my Zeta from the van cos I have to, but the Jag comes up to the door. I prefer to run as short a waste hose as I physically can.

Lets face it, a TM's miles quicker to set up and use than a Van Mounted Porty...

Jim_77

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 10:11:20 pm »
You're closet truckmounter aren't you Col ;D

It's OK, you can come out to us, we won't judge you :)

john martin

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 10:11:58 pm »

Ok, I run my Zeta from the van cos I have to, but the Jag comes up to the door. I prefer to run as short a waste hose as I physically can.

Lets face it, a TM's miles quicker to set up and use than a Van Mounted Porty...

I like this tank setup ...  wheres the pain ?  most domestic jobs i do you can pull up along side the window ... of fairly close to the door .
Advantages ..  the obvious ones ..  you don't have fetch water or look for a tap source for an autofill .
You don't have to empty on the job ...  you don't have the problems associated with pumpout ..ie you guys spend half the time poking at your filters  .
Machine is not in the rain ... its not making as much noise as close to door or inside house .
TM is quicker / better but then you get into TM vs Porty ...    All that can go wrong with a scorpion is likely to fixable by yourself at minimal cost ... etc

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 10:12:37 pm »
The Scorps ........................................., why run it as a TM?

And why not? All bar a handfull of jobs I can reach as far as I need with 75 foot of hoses from the van parked near the property, and this distance is well within the capabilities of the machine.
All I need to do besides the solution/waste hoses is run 2 sets of electrical cables out, which if you're organised hardly adds any extra time to the setting up, as you will be going back and fo initially during the setting up.

Colin Day

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 10:20:15 pm »

I like this tank setup ...  wheres the pain ?  most domestic jobs i do you can pull up along side the window ... of fairly close to the door .
Advantages ..  the obvious ones ..  you don't have fetch water or look for a tap source for an autofill .
You don't have to empty on the job ...  you don't have the problems associated with pumpout ..ie you guys spend half the time poking at your filters  .
Machine is not in the rain ... its not making as much noise as close to door or inside house .
TM is quicker / better but then you get into TM vs Porty ...    All that can go wrong with a scorpion is likely to fixable by yourself at minimal cost ... etc

Nope, still no idea who you are....

john martin

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 10:29:47 pm »

[/quote]

Nope, still no idea who you are....

[/quote]

lol , I'm stuck in cyberspace Colin ...  someday I'll be real like you  ;D