garyj

New Machine
« on: December 11, 2005, 12:47:27 am »
I'm buying a new machine early next year and have been thinking about a truck mounted 'portable' like a Ninja 400psi or similar. I received the Alltec newsletter this morning ( sept / oct edition, I must have been an afterthought >:( ) and they have some really good deals on proper truckmounts but can't get any more info about the Steam Way becauses there website is useless.
Anyone using a 9100LX? If so what do you think of it and is it worth the extra outlay over a van based portie? Also is the Rotovac worth it or does it become another piece of equipment you cart around and don't use!!, they come up for sale every now and then and wondered why.
Cheers

des

Re: New Machine
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 02:25:34 pm »
Re rotovac ive just got one and a set of the new brushes from the usa .The rotovac does a very good job on very dirty carpets where a wand will not and the brushes are great on agitating your prespray and of course hard floors .And its so  easy to clean a normal carpet.Why not phone alltec and ask for a demo for free des
des at mister clean

garyj

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 02:43:58 pm »
Mmmmm, thats an idea but Alltec is 200 miles away, but you're only 19 ;)

I've lost your number sorry, can put some  work your way at the moment if you're interested.

Art

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 04:37:54 pm »
Gary,
Any idea how much the rotovacs are? There website doesn't have a price, which usually means expensive.

Regards Arthur

John_Flynn

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 04:59:14 pm »
£1795.00 + vat
I get better looking each day!!

Art

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 05:08:47 pm »
Cheers John think i'll pass on that one then  :P

mark_roberts

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 06:35:30 pm »
You can not compare a petrol TM with a portable.  There miles apart in all areas.  Ive got both.  My portable is the 400psi Ninja and while it does the job at 25-50ft I wouldnt take it further or any portable for that matter.  Also the TM is way faster than the portable.

Dont waste your time and money as i did trying to bridge the gap.

Mark

roberto

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 09:56:10 pm »
Re rotovac ive just got one and a set of the new brushes from the usa .The rotovac does a very good job on very dirty carpets where a wand will not and the brushes are great on agitating your prespray and of course hard floors .And its so  easy to clean a normal carpet.Why not phone alltec and ask for a demo for free des

Hi Des

Sorry for being cheeky”!!

Where did you get brushes from? As I need some but I understand Rotovac don’t sale to UK public sector, only to their UK agents and I’m sure they will ask a arm and a leg for it when they decide to start selling those brushes

Regards
"""""OF EVERYTHING I'VE KNOWN AND LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST"""""

cleaning co

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 01:12:16 am »
hi, come off it mark u know for a fact a ninja can be used upto 100ft no prob   i use 100ft every day!  to great effect  every day ! and u cannot clean faster with a truckmount than i can  if u had used your ninja as i do then u had saved a lot money imo  (p,s before u answer this  yes i hav used truckmounts and can honestly say if your core work is domestic get high spec porty ,with auto fill auto dump inline heaters  water tank with 12volt pump  put all this in a small van with twin doors like a dyhatsu extol and away u go  using punters elec, very low fuel use  drive right upto any punters house even the old biddys bunglow tucked away  ,these vans are small enough to drive on most paths ! and they are quicker than any gas guzzling huge great transit etc o yer and if u hav a truckmount rember to book that extra job or two to pay for even more fuel in the truck mount ,by this time im at home aving a cupper tea while u truckmount boys are aving a job holding the trigger at the petrol pump whilst filling your van and truckmount up yet again  after pulling heavy "2"  hoses all day  ;D
p.s this is not a dig at truckmount users just my honest opiion   gary

Neil Grainger

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 06:45:23 am »
Gary

Are you quicker than Mark because you dont prespay or Vac still

Happy Christmas to you all

Neil

cleaning co

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 07:12:50 am »
lol yes prob ;D    but then i never get any complaints ;D but  anycase y dos mark think he can clean faster  because he has truckmount ?   over the kit iam using ? i dont hav to fill machine  i dont hav to empty it  i hav instant heat

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 08:21:22 am »
Gary,

Do you use a wand or a power brush,

While I acept what you say, I have a similiar set up to you
motor and heater wise, but Im not happy when I am working with over 50 feet of hose. Perhaps slightly older equipment rebuilt regularly.

I check regularly and I can see no obvious vacum leaks maybee I am parinoid and seduced by these boards into wanting the ultimate cleaning machine .

cleaning co

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 08:32:37 am »
hi ian, i hav three machines with2x 3 stage vacs,but one the ninja seems two hav a lot more power than the other two i think the ninja has heavy duty ones which might explain the diff, the other machines are allright upto 75ft  but the ninja is fine at 100ft, check all your seals like lid etc and mke sure the dump val is shut prop
 p. s i use mostly a wand but if i used my power wand i could use the over two at upto 100ft no probs
gary

Smiths Cleaning

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 04:34:44 pm »
hi gary
you say you have a ninja is that made by ashbys? what are the specs on that, do you mind me asking?
thanks Andy ;D

cleaning co

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 04:54:42 pm »
hi andy, no i dnont mind,yes an ash machine  ,2x3stage heavy duty vacs,400 psi pump with pressure gauge and flow control,auto pump out and auto fill, 3kw tank heater and a built v2 3kw heater  two 50ft power leads
p.s v2 heater is great
gary

des

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2005, 06:09:32 pm »
Rotovac and new brushes all from  alltec .Brushes are about £200:00 but they do pay for them self by agitating prespray and hard floor cleaning.They have three jets but no vac points des
des at mister clean

mark_roberts

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2005, 08:36:14 pm »
Cleaning Co

Like I said Ive got the highest spec Ninja and a Boxer truckmount and i know what both can do and the Ninja doesnt come close in terms of drynest, speed and operator ease.

Oh and i also earn a lot more per hour with the TM over the Ninja so the £4 per machine hour to run it isnt that much. 

Would like a smaller van though.

Mark

cleaning co

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2005, 03:39:33 am »
yes i agree with u on drying times but not an issue as no punters ever moan and they keep coming back, totally disgree with u on ease of use  and speed  please explain ? ::) as for £4 hour running the truckmount what about your gaz guzzling big van, and u hav to pay for for that overpriced truckmount and van  which was prob more than 4x what i need to recover for my van n porty setup and i can earn just as much an hour as a truckmount user as it is no faster  ,like i said before imo u didnt use your ninja to its full abilty, if i had a truckmount i would with out shadow of a dout earn less money

cleaning co

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2005, 04:15:18 am »
hi, just thouht  id show some figures what it would cost ME to run a truckmount as oposed to my porty setup .
     TRUCKMOUNT AND VAN (NEW) OVER THREE YEAR PERIOD
   £700 month for van and truckmount
  £ 480 month to run truckmount machine
  £80 month to insure van and truckmount
  £160 month to put fuel in van
TOTAL £ 1420 :o

PORTY SETUP AND VAN(NEW) OVER SAME PERIOD
   £333 month for porty and van
  £0.00 to run porty set up
  £40 to insure van and porty
  £80 month petrol
 total £453 ;D

this is what it would cost me ,would i get more work ?no,would it be qiucker for me ? no would i earn more money? no , would i hav to do more jobs aday? yes would i hav to earn more aday? yes would i double my time spent at petrol fil up ? yes would i sometimes hav problems acessing propertys ? yes

imo for me ,and i only do domestic work it would be madness to shell out nearly extra £1000 month to earn no more money and make my life harder , for some a truckmount will pay and make thier job easier  for me no way !!  for someone doing the same sort of work as me with a truckmount  i am without a doubt £12000 !!! a year better of
gary

Neil Grainger

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2005, 07:40:53 am »
Gents

Do you target a certain market or are you after anything. Because if you target the right customers time is of no concern. So the my truckmount is better than your portable is not a issue.  If you need to do 6 jobs a day because you charge £20 a room then time is going to be a big thing and a truckmount maybe better

2 Jobs a day £150-200 each  makes £300-£400 a day so time is not a concern

mark_roberts

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2005, 07:17:20 pm »
Im not getting into the TM v portable debate but the facts speak for themselves.

Cleaning CO.  If it cost me £480 on fuel per month for the TM then I would be making around £9000 so you figures are way off as is your reasoning.  You need to think outside the box ie. your Ninja.

Neil

Your making a mistake.  Time is your most important asset no matter what type of market your in.  I clean for middle to upper income types and small commercial.  If i save 30% time on each job its an extra hour or two per day to work or play.  Your choice.  Work is not rushed merely completed quicker and dryer.

My turnover for December is around 40% up on last year.  This is because i can do more jobs per day with the TM and feel fresher as less tiring and can work 6 days if required.

At the end of the day its what you want from your business.

Mark

Glynn

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2005, 07:59:20 pm »
Mark,
Your wasting your valueable time trying to convert the hecklers into the values of having a TM, if I were you I'd keep it to yourself and proffit from it. ;)
Regards
Glynn

Neil Grainger

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2005, 08:47:57 pm »
Truckmount and portable are both good for different reasons.

Mark

All I am saying about time is that if you have the right jobs it does not really matter if you have a truckmount or a portable when all you are saving is about 10 minutes filling up with water on each job. Whilst the water is heating up you can always do the vac and pre spray which you truckys seem to neglect when cleaning carpets.
Saving time leeds to shortcuts thats why Time should not be an issue.

2 jobs a day 10 a week, how much money is enough £2000 grand a week is fine by me and I know I wont be burnt up after this and the weekends off. Why do you need to work 6 days a week

This is supposed to work for you. Work to live dont live to work.

Michel Roberts

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2005, 08:53:42 pm »
Mark

Correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember from your previous posts that you run a MWB Trannie.

Why would you like a smaller van?

Do you still carry you porty as back up?

What in your opinion whould be the ideal size van for someone who wanted to run a boxer but still carry porti,envirodry,rotary ect?

Regards Michel

mark_roberts

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2005, 09:39:33 pm »
Michel

Ive a LWB Transit and tons of room to spare.  I carry the portable all the time but only used it about 4 times since mid October.

Dont know about a SWB but a MWB would be fine.

Neil

Youll save a lot more than 10mins.  I do pre vac, prepspray etc.  Saving time isnt shortcut taking.  The time saved is setting up, not filling with water, faster wanding.  To be fair real time savings are best on multiple room jobs.  Working 6 days as its CHRISTMAS and the rush is on.

Glynn

Ah I suppose your right.  After all we too had to be converted at one time.

Mark

Phil Marlor

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2005, 11:51:13 pm »

Mark,

I like to read your veiws on TM's because I feel you give an honest insight. People who spend £1000's on a machine would never come on here and criticise their purchase in any way, where as I think you would.

My biggest problem about stepping up is simple, its the cost, £12K + Vat for the machine then the cost of running it, I dont care what anyone says they would all have one but for this reason.

You are a lot younger than me, the thought of having to double the amount of work to justify having one puts me off, so would you recommend I stay as I am.

Phil
Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

garyj

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2005, 12:10:09 am »
I'm no further forward. Cleaning co's argument is well put and would save thousands, I was emailed and told a tm won't save me any time!!! but I can't see that.

The don't go half way view also seems true, and if it wasn't for the cost I would have just bought a tm, but IS it worth the extra money??? I do like the thought of being able to run 2 hoses at the same time though.

I'm more confused than ever, I hate setting up the portie and like the idea of just rolling out a hose and getting on with the job, the constant in / out and filling and emptying could send me nuts!!!!  (nuttier :P)

The rotovac doesn't pick up?? Thats a shame, it looks a good piece of kit, just presumed it would extract as well.

Jeeeeez, is it worth the extra money, I just don't know ??? ???

cleaning co

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2005, 03:07:58 am »
hi, my reasoning mark is well thought imo,also u say u know what both are capable of did u ever run your ninja as a truckmount?  and whatever u say u cannot do more jobs aday than i can full stop,u will not be quicker  u still didnt explain y u would be quicker  ::) and u said it costs u £4 a hour to hav u truckmount running  i came to the figure what it would cost "ME" (sorry but sometimes u twist a reply because u aint read it proper) using one  at £4 hour x 5 hours =£20 x6 days=£120 weekx 4 weeks =£480 how many hours u using it a day ?
hi garyj, i dont set up my porty  i  just run a hose in and a lead it takes  seconds machine is allready full of hot water and as i work away it fills again with hot water that then goes throw the v2 heater givin me instant very hot/steam if u need it , if i am doing a large job say 5 bedroom house after walking in with the hose and leads(if the carpets are not bad u only need to plug in one lead as the ninjas vacs and pump auto dump work off one lead) i never go back outside unless i fancy f*g break , i hav used couple diffrent truck mounts and it is noway faster than how i do it honest tust me mate before u waste thousands  ;) also think what happens when it breaks down u cant just pop it in the post back to say cornwall can u lol u hav to take two days of work one day to drive it there and then will it be fixed that day ? with an ashbuys u can use their service that picks it up for u fixs it and sends it back whilst u are still cleaning with a back up machine even if its a small machine that u hav to offload and take in house u still working and not loseing jobs or money  iam lucky as i carry another powerfull porty in van at all times which i can run same way as the ninja if needs be ,i can allso take someone with me if its a large job and run two machines out of my van which both dont need filling or emptying,also if u ever feel a job needs more vac power u just get two ft hose put it on the vac outlet of ninja then vac inlet of second machine turn on the sechand machines vacs first then the ninjas and hay presto u sucking with four 3 stage vacs !! if your core work is domestic then i woudnt dream of a truckmount imo
gary
p.s garyj when u say two hoses do u mean a dual operater truckmount? if so put few more thousand on the price as u cant run two of a bog standerd one

cleaning co

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2005, 03:34:06 am »
more pics

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2005, 08:11:54 am »
One of the Sad things about Moderating this Forum is that I cannot download the pictures.

Mike has not been able to crack the reason why.

Gary Cleaning Co any chance of sending them to email address in my personal details?

lee_gundry

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2005, 02:41:37 pm »
cleaning co

your quote of 480.00 per month for fuel for the truckmount  saying that if you were to use this amount,which is approx 95 gallons of fuel

95 gallons = 95 hours running time for a truckmount
most truckmount guys earn £100.00 per hour running time
so income would be approx £9500.00 per month

i bet you wish you could earn this??

Lee G
cumbria

cleaning co

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2005, 03:27:57 pm »
hi lee, the reason i wouldnt earn this with or without a truckmount is because i dont charge that sort of money ,its not a case of i would if i had truckmount my prices would be the same and i wouldnt do any more work than i am now ;D

benny d

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2005, 04:58:26 pm »
I jumped straight in in Aug 2004 and bought a TM from Alltec. I hadnt been a CC before but decided after alot of thought to "go for it" with a TM.
The Steamway is a brilliant machine I would definatly say that, but it should be at £12,000.00 +++!
At the same time I also bought a Rotovac. I never used it. But Robert at Alltec was a diamond, and I took it back and swapped it for an Alltec Advantage portable.

I use the advantage in flats  when I cant get the TM near enough. Even though the Advantage is a great machine, when I have to use it I cant believe what lack of power it has compared to the TM. I look back at the machine thinking, "is it working properly"? There is hardly any suction, where through the wand with the TM the wand "sticks" to the carpet! It does clean to a degree, but nowhere near the TM, but thats how it should be!!
Looking at the photos above, that would have been a great idea to have a Truck mounted portable with all the gizmos attached. It would have saved me thousands and thousands 15-20 times over!!

Also the TM is very hard work as far as hoses and cables go etc etc. It takes me 20-30 mins to get sorted, and yes I do have an idea as to what I amn doing! So it is no easier that a portable, and possibly harder work!
Obviously I promote that I am using a TM, but 99% of people have no idea anyway, so I guess a van mounted Portable is as good as a TM.
Finally the TM is EXTREAMLY NOISY!
Ben
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

cleaning co

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2005, 05:17:41 pm »
great post benny
gary

garyj

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2005, 05:24:23 pm »
Nice pics Gary, is that your BMW  convertable in the background?

You TART ;) ;D

cleaning co

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2005, 05:33:20 pm »
 ;)

John Kelly

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2005, 06:14:45 pm »
Gary

Looks a good setup. Used portables for over ten years but now using a truckmount. Main reason is ease of use, less filling & emptying of buckets. Could have used a set up like yours, would be fine for most domestics
However done a commercial job today, citizens advice bureau, carpets never been cleaned in 10-15 years absolutely minging.
Wacked the pressure up to 700psi and made a resonable impression with the added bonus a lot of the chewing gum came up with the wand. I honestly don't think I could have touched it using a portable.

cleaning co

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2005, 06:28:45 pm »
hi john, sort of job u just descibed is the reason i dont touch work like that ,dont want it  , and yes u are prob right a bestist porty u can get would hav found it hard going
gary

the red carpet

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2005, 06:37:28 pm »
cleaning co,

i like the look of your setup its seems you have the best of both worlds and when i hopefully upgrade my equipment next year think i will go for somthing simualar.

if i do decide to go down that route would it be okay with you for me to spend the day with you and get a feel for the setup and see how you have fitted it all up, i dont mind helping you out with a bit of pre-spraying or doing some leaflets for you etc.

do you not think you would benifit by using a dif portable like the scorpion or eclipse?

Daniel

stevegunn

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2005, 07:17:53 pm »
T/m user in my area carpet £15/suite £30 :o Why would you charge these prices its a new t/m too going to take a while to pay for that charging them prices.My t/m is broke at the moment and I'm using the portable cannot wait till after xmas so I can find the time to repair it.Give me a t/m anytime so much better than a portable

cleaning co

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2005, 08:43:29 pm »
hi yes no prob mate,u are second person to ask today to look at me setup  wife getting bit worried lol  as for diffrent portys ive seen the eclipse not bad machine but the recoil i havnt, biggest draw back was they offer no heat options because of thier tripple vacs , weres the ninja comes with dual heating which works very well  best heat ive ever seen on a porty  but the vacs are still man enough to do 100ft and its very rare thats not long enough on domestic jobs ,it was allso cheaper than a ecplise with no heat, and i thought the ninja looked better built imo ,also before i brought i knew that ashbys were making a add on 3 stage vac which will giv u 3x3stage vacs weres the others only had 3x2stage vacs, the add on one is also a bigger 3stage vac as well so if u need the extra suck i think it will be very good, also the ninja is smaller than the eclipse which in my case was a plus as with a water tank and auto fill, tank size on machine didnt matter and gav me more room in van
gary

Art

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2005, 08:49:52 pm »
Gary what kind of van do you have? do ashbys supply the fresh water tank and advise on the set up? Hope you don't mind the questions but it looks a very good set up.

Arthur

the red carpet

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2005, 08:54:14 pm »
thanks for that gary when i am ready i will let you know,
how much would you say the full setup would cost not including van, machine tanks pumps etc?
and in the van you use would there be space left for power brush, turbo dryer vac etc?
or would a bigger van be required?

thanks again

Daniel

cleaning co

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2005, 09:00:05 pm »
hi arthur,its an new dyhatsu extol 1200 cc twin side doors central locking power steering air con twin air bags  etc etc  great van to drive really nippy its the only small van i could find that had right height twin doors etc ideal ,nearly perfect for runing a porty truckmount setup and a fantastic price, water tank came from www.cleantec.com  as did the 12vlt pump , there really is nothing to the setup ,no advice needed
gary

cleaning co

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2005, 09:05:17 pm »
dan, about £11000 all new including vat, yes u can put loads things on top of the water tank, also it has a false floor which u can store wands,hand tool etc
gary

the red carpet

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2005, 09:09:09 pm »
Gary
are you sure you put up the right web adress for cleantec, i tried to click on it and its going to a domain registration thing ???

the red carpet

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2005, 09:15:23 pm »
is that £11000 with the van,
 if not how did you get up to £11000 for the equipment i thought the ninga was a couple of grand and i thought it was you who posted before that they paid £300 for tanks and pumps i belive the steam thing is about £500.

if you did mean £11000 with the van, could you please let us know what the equipment roughly comes to?

cleaning co

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2005, 09:18:45 pm »

cleaning co

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2005, 09:23:21 pm »
 yes it includes full cost of van about£ 7500 with vat,machines and tanks pipeing, 12vlt pump about £3500 with vat
gary
p.s what steamie thing do u mean ?

the red carpet

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2005, 09:24:57 pm »
thought you had the v2 steam mate thing

NZ Lee

« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2005, 09:58:01 pm »
Some of you guys make me laugh :) :) :) :)

Why is that some UK carpet cleaners have to justify in their own head that a portable is better than a TM.

Guys in NZ, Australia and US have fleets of TM's, portables are for people who cannot afford TM's, if I gave any of you a cheque for 20,000 pounds to spend only on carpet cleaning gear what would you buy? 1 or 2 TMs or portables.

If you want a quality TM buy Prochem or Hydramaster, you pay for what you get, the same thing you should be telling your customers!

If this upsets anyone then sorry.

cleaning co

« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2005, 10:01:24 pm »
 yes ihav v2 heater built inside the machine,  what ashbys do is build the machine to your spec i think the base model is about £1200 pounds  then u add your spec big pump, bigger vacs,built in heaters etc etc iam sure mine was just under £3000
gary

cleaning co

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2005, 10:06:09 pm »
hi nz u had bad nights sleep lol  ,no one is saying which is better its what is best needed for the type of work u do  and what is overkill and what isnt
 regards garyuk
p.s ud be a fool to giv me £20000 because id hav £11000 to spend down the pub luvly jubbly ;)

Mike Halliday

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2005, 10:10:51 pm »
Steve whats up with  the T/M?

I give all the machines I sell a 5yr money back guarentee with free repairs :) :)

Mike

Ps Did I say 5yrs? I meant 5 minutes ;D ;D

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

cleaning co

« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2005, 10:13:19 pm »
hi mike,whos steve did i miss something lol

mark_roberts

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2005, 10:18:07 pm »
Yes a TM will be £7000 plus depending on what you want/need but how much is a new Ninja with all the bits?  around £4k so for a few grand more you have your TM.

I'll be honest if you dont want to grow your business and only do domestic then stick with a portable.  But if you want to grow and need more time and want  a physical easier job then the TM is an option other than employees.

Regarding money all I can say is I now can earn on average 30% more per hour from arriving to leaving because the TM is quicker on set-up/down, not having to fill it and slightly faster wanding.  Quality of job is not compromised.

As I said Ive a Ninja, heatmate, vacuum booster box from America etc etc and would NOT use it more than 50ft without the vac box which is more time and hassle.

The best way for anyone to see the advantage of any equipment is to go out with another cleaner preferably on a job that youve done before with the portable and compare results and time savings.

In the New Year I hope to convert to gas which wil bring the running costs down even more.

Im not going to argue more on this.  Email me if you want more info.

Mark

cleaning co

« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2005, 10:30:51 pm »
o marky marky,u not reading the post again proper, i dont fill my machine it fills it self !!, heavy duty 3 stage vacs and a booster box and u wouldnt use it over 50ft! i am lmfco i really am if was u id check u anit got petrol fumes leaking from that truckmount becasue i think u are in a coma and aint woke up yet, still lmfco

Mike Halliday

« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2005, 10:33:00 pm »
Gary. look a the last post on page 2, RE; Steve Gunn, he bought a Blazer of me 6 month ago. (£800)

Mike

cleaning co

« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2005, 10:37:16 pm »
o i c now lol ;D   did it really work when u sold it for £800? what the hell did it look like lol ;D

garyj

« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2005, 11:08:56 pm »
Gary, thanks for the chat tonight, I'll look forward comeing to see your set up after Xmas.
This thread has  been a real eye opener for me, I didn't know it would still take 30 mins to set up a t/m when you arrived at a job, I really thought they were  'point and squirt', the rotovac doesn't extract  and the running costs for a t/m seem to be horrendous.
Might have saved me a fortune!!
Thanks everyone. 

Len Gribble

« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2005, 02:58:30 am »
Steve

Sorry to here that what the problem?

Think Steve speaks with some authority as he has now using the second most powerfulness porty going (it not his old Ninja that’s been sold to some one in my neck of the woods)

Gary
It looked and sounded ok to me at Wolverhampton.

Mike

I’m sure I heard you say life time guaranty!

GaryJ

30 min depends on the job or the kitchen sink syndrome, one of my porty/lm jobs took nearly two hours to set up I hate central London!

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

stevegunn

« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2005, 07:10:26 am »
Steve whats up with  the T/M?

I give all the machines I sell a 5yr money back guarentee with free repairs :) :)

Mike

Ps Did I say 5yrs? I meant 5 minutes ;D ;D

Its only firing on one cylinder just don't have time to sort it at the moment.Been told its the coil but the engine needs to come off to get to it.

Gary it looked like this

John Kelly

« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2005, 05:41:41 pm »
Timed myself today, 1930s semi. Pulled onto drive, 7 minutes to set up truckmount, hoses out, wand on ready to go.
Finish, 8 minutes to coil hoses and I haven't got a reel, put wand, spotters away and gone.
I've seen some people in action including some of my ex employees, takes them half an hour to wind up a solution hose on a portable!

*Chris Browne

« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2005, 05:47:09 pm »
No just get one of these..top spec

Chris

Neil Grainger

« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2005, 06:14:44 pm »
John

Does that 7 minutes include the Vac and Pre Spray?

Neil

mark_roberts

« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2005, 07:08:41 pm »
To clarify my post to cleaning co I would not run over 50ft all day every day with the Ninja UNLESS I was using the booster which can be placed closer to the wand.  Ive the heavy duty vacs too.

Again you need to think outside the box.

Setup time can be as little as 5 mins.  Depends where your parked, design of house etc.  Prevaccing and prespray are done before setup unless its more than one room.

Mark

John Kelly

« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2005, 09:25:42 pm »
Neil
The setup time was just that, set up. Thats what the debate is about. The pre-sprays, stain removal, pre vacs would take the same whether using truckmount or portable.

bobdaines

« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2005, 10:35:41 pm »
Just to say that I run a 9100lx and it is an awsome machine.
Trouble is that I do not think that Alltec supply them anymore!
Porty vs Truckmount?
After 27 yrs in the business, 24 with porty, I would NEVER go back to porty.
Just my own personal thoughts,

conallon

« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2005, 05:22:28 am »
Steve, might sound daft, have you checked the plugs ?

Conrad

conallon

« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2005, 06:51:28 am »
Do you have a powerfull music system ?

Do you have a fast car with plenty of poke ?

Do you have a mans cleaning machine  ;D

stevegunn

« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2005, 07:40:29 am »
Steve, might sound daft, have you checked the plugs ?

Conrad

Already done that.

Gary

I would not say £800 was a vast amount of money.My ninja cost more than that and lasted 9 months before pump needed replacing.Eclipse cost £3300 so in comparison  £800 nothing 8)

John Kelly

« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2005, 10:20:21 am »
Gary

Days of rushing around are long gone.

cleaning co

« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2005, 12:25:52 pm »
 steve  i was talking about people who buy brand new,not lumps of rust lol   ;D 
gary

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2005, 12:59:25 pm »
Is John Flynns  Truckmount still for sale?

I do not want it but I just thought I would give him a mention?

John_Flynn

« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2005, 02:14:22 pm »
Thanks for that Ian.

It is still here and been used daily, but am awaiting a deposit from a prospective buyer!!

So I guess the answer to your question is "Yes".

Ian please give me a call on 01924 508781 I would like a chat with you.
I get better looking each day!!

the red carpet

« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2005, 01:19:07 pm »
for anyone reading this post and thinking of a set up like cleaning co has suggested iv just looked in the ashbys catalouge and a top spec ninja with.

400 psi pump
1, 3 stage heavy duty vac + 1, 3 stage standard vac
internal v2 steammate heater 0-110 c
auto fill with chemical metering
auto dump

£3108 + vat

cleaning co,do you use the chemical metering?
or do you add your solution to the tank?

also with the auto dump do you have a waste water tank or do you run a hose to a drain?

cleaning co

« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2005, 02:24:20 pm »
hi, i payed less than that including vat and mine has two built in heaters u would get min 10% discount of list price
 p.s u cant hav a built in chem meter with a 400psi pump , i made an external chem meter up but its just as easy to add to your water tank, no idont hav waste tank the auto dump comes with a 30ft hose
gary

BRSL

« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2005, 03:00:41 pm »
I love my T/M,  my T/M's the best,  the best is my T/M  IMO any hoo

Guys that are looking at rotovac's have you looked at RX20's B£$&*!y exspensive but fantastic and vac aswell, dont even break a sweat using it either (apart from getting it out of the van)

Cleaning co ive tried to stay out of this debate because ILL admit that im a bit biased, but there is no way that T/M's arnt quicker, I do like your setup It's ideal for domestics though, wouldent dream of using it on commercial jobs although i realise you dont do many, T/M's are over kill for domestics but your porty on a pub still on the van with 100ft of hose you got to be kidding (get your sweat on)
W - www.brsl.co.nz
E - james@brsl.co.nz

Kind regards James C

cleaning co

« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2005, 03:20:30 am »
get your sweat on ?  lmfco whats that meant to mean? on that pub i do a wood floor and its fine ,u got to be kidding ? well no iam there for 1 hour get £150 and he asks me back every week  so that 100ft speaks for it self mmmmmm nice ;)

stevegunn

« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2006, 03:46:51 pm »
A big thank you to Lee Grundy who put me on the right track repairing my t/m it was the coil like he said.Took about an hour to do but running like a sewing machine now.Once again thanks Lee you know your stuff.

Steve

Alan Brooker. Aqualink Carpet Care

« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2006, 04:18:48 pm »
Get Ashby's 400 psi V2 Ninja. You'll never regret it. Especially with their new TRIPLE vac system. Oh and by the way... check out the 'FANTASTIC CC EQUIPMENT DEAL' advert in the used equipment for sale section of Cleanitup.

Regards
Alan
Experience does not qualify as Knowledge and Understanding.
Understand how and why and you'll produce great results.

IICRC, Woolsafe, Fenice & LTT trained.
Member of Eco Carpet Care, NCCA & Woolsafe.

DANIELSON

« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2006, 05:29:54 pm »
hi, y not try a t/m from woodbridge commercial, entry level machine only ~£6250 + vat and they have dual operator machines that styart at around £9000 + vat.

if your ninja cost £3000 and a t/m is £7500 and you can get it in a smaller van as the machines are tiny, they look good too, check them out if you like.

cheers

All the posts I have read from you concern The Woodbridge truckmount.

This Forum does not allow constant pluging.

I have removed two of your posts so far.

Regards

Ian Gourlay Moderator

Geoff Jewkes

« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2006, 08:56:56 pm »
Danielson.................... wasn`t hee the total ass in karate kid???? ;D ;D

garyj

« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2006, 11:25:21 pm »
 ;D wob on, wob off.

Liahona

« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2006, 03:46:31 pm »
if we are in the business to give the best cleaning poss to most carpets then forget the prices and costs for a moment. Without any doubt there is no way a portable can out perform a truck mount. Period. I will go head to head with any truck mounted company to get work, going against a portable is just plane unfair. Why else would the largest carpet mills in the world only suggest and guarantee their carpets if they are hot water extracted with a truch mounted machine. Again when we use portable machines we are not giving the customer the best job poss., doesnt matter if they are happy or you are as a tech, truth is the truck mount is better.

cleaning co

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2006, 04:00:51 pm »
they say they recommend hwe on thier carpets but dont say only with a truckmount

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2006, 04:37:24 pm »
I think shaws and Dupont recommend HWE, with the truckmount being the preferred choice. I used portables for 3 years, but when i got a new tm in Aug 05 there is no comparrison. Anyway, when marketing, i always try to point out the superior cleaning of the tm over a porty.

As they say, if you can't beat em, join em. I will endeavour over the next 3 years of business to then buy a top of the range tm for 2 people operation. For reference, i now charge between £40 - £60 an hour which in that time i can do a lounge and possibly stairs etc by charging more again. My fuel bill works out at 8% so profit per hour = £46.80 to £55.20 per hour, but with the right customer this price can go up again. Another advantage is that i can take on serious commercial work.

I am probably cheap with my prices, but am now starting to realise that if people are willing to pay for superior cleaning then i will charge them.

Dave

therapist

« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2006, 05:25:32 pm »
Think you should qualify your statement regards guarantees and t/ms

r m

therapist

« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2006, 05:37:14 pm »
Although it's undoubtedly true that t/m's have More Usable Power, how often is it used ?

When using a powerful portable, such as Ninja, or CFR the carpets are practically being ripped off the floor if you attempt to use full power.

Some portables have 1000 psi at their disposal and with superior tooling are capable, in the right hands of competing with a t/m.

There is no absolute ' black and white ' in the world and currently in America, there is more support for powerful portables and o/p machines than truckmounts.

r m

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2006, 06:23:15 pm »
I am not criticising portables, but after using an Extracta Excel for 3 years adaquately, then moving on to a tm and back again, you recognise a lower suction straight away. It took us 3 years of trading to get a tm and hopefully in another 3 we will get a better one again. The reason that we bought one in the first place is because we believe that it out performs my twin vac portable, and whil'st delivering leaflets last year where a lot of work had been forthcoming, we noticed an old tm/van working the area, which i think had been sold for £6000 a couple of months earlier. If we didnot join them, surely we would have lost business.

I know that the majority of customers do not know much about equipment, but the other tm owners advertise their machines superiority over others, so i have to follow suit. It is nice to get as much money out of a business with little investment, but sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate. If a business grows, it would be nice to have a smaller van and portable set up for different work loads. If everybody looks at the situation, there should be work for everybody as you can't be in twenty or so places at once.
Dave

cleaning co

« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2006, 06:59:35 pm »
u would not hav lost work to this gezzer using the truckmount no way  u might hav lost to him becuase he was cheaper on his leaflets   u think 99% of custy read the tosh about "a truckmount machine "  blah blah ? of course they dont  tuckmount ,portys etc etc its all big boys toys the custy dont giv a sxxit

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2006, 09:18:05 pm »
Fair comment, but i don't believe it. If this is the case why do you advertise your set up as a truckmount when technically it isnt? All im saying, as long as you have got enough work that youre happy with, great. But surely there could come a time for you when you want to make more money. Since i have had the tm, the most that i have earned for 8 hours work was £305. This was 2 empty rental properties, 4 bedroom and 3 bedroom. The latter had carpets that i know the porty would'nt touch. When the temp gauge on the tm says 95 degrees, you are not loosing hardly any heat at the wand.

Based on this, if i worked a bit harder and acquired this type of work 5 days a week and even a sunday job, life would be sweet. I believe a lot of people buy on image and And if you can tap into this sector, then you are set, so feel every penny spent on the tm was well spent.

On an end note, if you look at a tm, all they basically are is an engine in the middle driving a blower at the back and a water pump at the fvront. As a trained motor vehicle techncian, who has rebuilt old cars in the past, i believe that as these parts are available off the shelf, and the fact that my brother in law owns his own engineering business, i have often thought about getting him to knock up the framework and all the welding, then i could go about setting everything else up. Not to sell or anything, but as a project and to use for myself. Their working principal is very simple.

What do you think? ;)

therapist

« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2006, 11:22:09 pm »
S.O.C

I and others can assure you, that using the power available in a modern portable is capable of much more than some t/m owners will agree to.

What is,  most important,  is the choice of and correct use of, chemicals and equipment which only comes from, training, experience and application.

I have earned €650 in a shift working with a Ninja and with 5 others, twice completed a contract which paid  just under €3000.

So, don't assume you can't make money without a t/m.

Incidentally, I've been working in this business for over 20 years and fully appreciate that there are times when a t/m might be more suitable, but not always.

r m

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2006, 08:01:53 am »
Therapist,

what does s.o.c stand fot at start of your message?

Dave

cleaning co

« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2006, 08:29:18 am »
spot on cleaning

Mike Halliday

« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2006, 08:59:21 am »
Spot On,

you mention building your own T/M, it can be done, I've built 4 in the past and my latest is in the engineering workshop now, this one will end up costing me about £2800 but is the cultivation of all the lessons learned on the last 4. It has a 45 blower, 1000psi pump and water temp up to 100degrees, a machine with the same spec from prochem or Hydramaster would cost over £12000.

if you ever fancy building one get in touch

Mike

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2006, 02:28:43 pm »
Cleaning Co, thank,s mate. S.O.C obviously stands for spot on cleaning. I will have to get my head straight. I thought it might have stood for something insulting, only joking.

Mike, yes i would be interested in ideas about truckmount manufacture and could possibly exchange ideas. Have you ever thought about manufacturing them for sale? It seems to me that the profit on these things is astronomical compared with the price of the basic components. I think the only problem would be the testing to achieve certification.

Another thing Mike, mr Lamborghini started out his business utilising old us army jeeps to make farming machinary then sportscars. What do you think?

In the past i have made air compressors from car engines by running it on three cylinders, and using the fourth by removing the exhaust valve and altering the inlet manifold to stop petrol from entering this cylinder.

Dave

Vernon Purcell

« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2006, 08:04:45 pm »
Mark
What make of motor does your machine have