Doug Holloway

Re: Pricing
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 06:04:52 pm »
Hi Guys

There will always be CC's charging a whole range of prices, that is the way a market works.

Remember there are also a whole range of customers with a whole range of requirements.

I don't think either high or low damages the industry , it's just a fact of life.

Cheers

Doug

Robin Ray

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 06:25:44 pm »
Not only is it easy to say it is also easy to do with a good customer base.
Its not about doubling what ever you think the job is worth. Its about building trust so you can charge what you think is reasonable rather than undercutting yourself just to get work. Its got to work for you otherwise theres plenty of jobs in tescos.

Up selling is a good way of making a job worth more, however what many people consider to be an add on should really in truth be part of a standard service. With all due respect though Shaun im not saying this is what you do.

Rob

wynne jones

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 06:35:06 pm »
I sort of agree with Shaun, no one likes rejection and when you're desperate you fear 'losing' it, but guess what the guy who doesn't need it and goes in higher often wins the business.

If you are a one man band and only 24hrs in a day can you blame him for charging top whack if he has more work than week.    

Take responsibility for your own predicament not the guy who does 2 carpets for a tenner or the guy who charges £100/hr.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2011, 06:42:32 pm »
Robin I never took offence I would also add that it's bad enough trying to get cleaners to get the peak price but up selling is classed as taboo to most, cleaners don't like to be sold to therefore they don't like selling extras, try buying a new car and see how many different up sells there are, we've just been looking to upgrade and I counted 8 up sells (it's a game I play sad really)

Shaun

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2011, 06:52:33 pm »
I don't think it's down to high prices - more a case of the type of properties that are worked in.

For example: my job this afternoon was 2 bedrooms, the price £ 143 !!

I charged my normal price per square metre, which is by no means extortianate - it's simply that this house was bloody huge.

And that's really my point. I'm lucky to live and work in an affluent area with some very exclusive estates containing multi million pound homes.

That's the lucky part, the skill is being able to deal with these people - offering a service that establishes trust and that makes price a secondary issue.

But I don't charge them any more than I would charge someone living in a 2 up 2 down - there's simply more carpet to physically clean than the average house.

The flip side to being able to earn that sort of money is the extra care that needs to be taken. I spent nearly an hour just setting up - dustsheets everywhere as they has expensive wood floors in the entrance hall and on the landing. I needed 75 foot of hose just to reach the bedrooms, which all had to be securely and safely tied off, so as not to cause any damage.

It all depends on what type of market you want to work in - my job on saturday is £ 280 for a 5 bedroom house - I'm not bragging and I don't consider myself to be expensive. But I do work in large properties and that's the type of client I market towards - I don't want to do 4 jobs a day, but each to their own.

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2011, 07:14:25 pm »
Steve, I couldn't have worded that better.

derek west

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011, 07:20:13 pm »
picked up a leather chair from a regular today and his exact words were. "bring us the invoice on monday and no stupid mates rates prices, charge me properly"
i'm a bit of a softy with my regulars, yes i know, but thats just me.

Robin Ray

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 07:46:58 pm »
" the skill is being able to deal with these people - offering a service that establishes trust and that makes price a secondary issue"

Absolutely!

bennymon

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2011, 08:11:48 pm »
do a good job and you will keep a lot of your customers but times are hard for most people at the moment. im finding the new inquires will not pay as high no matter what you offer . lets face it when things are tight getting carpets cleaned is way down the list. :)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 08:36:22 pm »
I'm not too sure about that my average spend has gone up by 20% this year.

Shaun

Mike Halliday

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2011, 08:36:39 pm »
the reason some carpet cleaners moan about the higher priced people in our industry is because they don't have the bottle to  look at themselves with a critical eye, its a lot easier to call someone a robber than to admit they are a bad businessman.

some lower priced carpet cleaners will always be able to justify to themselves that the price they charge is right and anyone else who is higher is ripping of the customer.

they can give themselves loads of excuses reason why customers won't pay a higher price

were the real truth is they are not worth the higher price as they don't believe they are worth it
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2011, 08:50:58 pm »
Spoken like a real Yorkshireman, where's the like button?

Shaun

bennymon

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2011, 09:32:17 pm »
when it comes to price im not ever gonna be really cheap but im prepared to lower prices a bit to get work .if you have a bad month you cant pay bills on a promise the next month will be good. ;)

Tony Rowley

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2011, 09:35:04 pm »
the reason some carpet cleaners moan about the higher priced people in our industry is because they don't have the bottle to  look at themselves with a critical eye, its a lot easier to call someone a robber than to admit they are a bad businessman.

some lower priced carpet cleaners will always be able to justify to themselves that the price they charge is right and anyone else who is higher is ripping of the customer.

they can give themselves loads of excuses reason why customers won't pay a higher price

were the real truth is they are not worth the higher price as they don't believe they are worth it

That, to be honest is the biggest load of nonsense I have read in a long while.

Tony

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2011, 09:50:05 pm »

That, to be honest is the biggest load of nonsense I have read in a long while.

Tony

I can understand both sides of the arguement here but consider this:
My BMW is getting near it's service date do I (a) take it to the local garage who will charge me £124 or (b) do I go to a BMW dealer who will charge me £224

They will both do the same job and the end result will be the same, so which should I go for?

AshWhite

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2011, 09:57:57 pm »
Neil,
If you were buying a BMW, would you buy the one with full BMW SH or the one with part BMW part local garage?
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2011, 09:59:54 pm »
A BMW service stamp will add value to your car also if you are unhappy you can make more noise.

Shaun

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2011, 10:22:57 pm »
Thanks guys
I was hoping you'd come back with exactly that. So on that basis

A carpet cleaned by Chemdry must be better than if cleaned by 'Cleanacarpet Ltd'???

On that basis we should be really cheap compared to the big 3 franchises, but are we really?

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2011, 10:29:04 pm »
There's no resale value of a 2nd hand carpet

Shaun

Mike Halliday

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2011, 10:34:37 pm »
that BMW comparison is wrong, you cannot compare a service  from main dealership who supplied a car with cleaning a carpet.

to make the comparison correct then it would have to be........

'Axminster' supply & fit a carpet, they then clean the carpet and reapply the protector to maintain their 10yr warranty  this is what you are buying when going to a main dealer

then this would be better than cleanacarpet LTD
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk