Shaun_Ashmore

Re: Pheonix Truck Mounts
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2011, 06:00:54 pm »
Well said that man!

Shaun

PS What happens if you charge more and do more with a TM? or charge less and do less with a porti?

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2011, 06:16:10 pm »
You have to charge more to do less if you have a porti because you can't do a lot with a porti, not in comparison to what you can get done with a TM. Plus, people will pay more for a TM job because (rightly or wrongly) they pereceive that they are getting more for their money.

Hornets nest stirred up - I'm off  ;D ;D

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2011, 08:03:30 pm »
Plus, people will pay more for a TM job because (rightly or wrongly) they pereceive that they are getting more for their money.

What a load of bollox. As there are numerous methods of carpet cleaning and 99% of potential customers refer to getting their carpets cleaned as 'shampooing' and 'steam cleaning' these people wouldn't have a clue what truck mount is anyway.
This is down to the operator to sell their super truckmount in much the same way as those sell LM or granual cleaning will sell theirs.

Hornets nest stirred up - I'm off  ;D ;D

You stay just where you are and face the music ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2011, 08:42:48 pm »
Neil,
We do quite a lot of research into this kind of thing and the Truck Mounted system we use is one of the main reasons why new customers choose us. Like I said, it is the percieved added value that seems to persuade a lot of people.

Simon

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2011, 08:49:59 pm »
the Truck Mounted system we use is one of the main reasons why new customers choose us.

Ok then, do customers contact you because they are looking for a truckmounter or do they choose to use you because you've told them how much better it is?
When we've got that question answered we'll move on.

ryan mca

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2011, 08:51:23 pm »
Simon
Does a standard living room really need a t/m to do the business
and what do you do when custys house does not have parking outside
this is not a dig I am thinking about upgrading this year and cant decide
between a triple vac porty or a second hand t/m

cheers ryan

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2011, 08:51:33 pm »
In over 11 years of cleaning carpets and upholstery, I have never known a customer to know what a truckmount is or what it does, nevermind that it might be any better than the clean i give them with a porty.

Sorry but thats a fact.

MAX Carpets

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2011, 09:06:04 pm »
Sorry , but more & more customers recognise TM as being superior.............as said, rightly or wrongly.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2011, 09:12:05 pm »
Ryan,
The one huge advantage of a TM is the sheer productivity you get from them, so you can do a lot more jobs in a lot less time, and you can also do much bigger jobs  than you can with a porti. That's not to say that porti's are crap, it's just in comparison to a TM they are very limited to what you can get done in a day.

Carpet Dawg,
If you don't have a TM to offer your customers, why would they know what a TM is? so I'm not sure what your point is.

Simon

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2011, 09:13:20 pm »
Sorry , but more & more customers recognise TM as being superior.............as said, rightly or wrongly.

Has a new client ever rang you and asked if you had a truckmount? or said that they where choosing you over the others cos you have a truckmount?

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2011, 09:20:59 pm »
Yes I have a few times also they have asked 'are you the one with the machine in the van'

Shaun

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2011, 09:23:54 pm »
Simon, same what i said to Max carpets.

Also, i speak to my customers about various forms of cleaning (small talk) and alot have heard of dry cleaning, some have heard of ChemDry but I have yet to find someone that knew what a truckmount is.

Of course i dont speak to every single punter about this but my point is that the majority of people just want their carpet cleaned and a cost thats reasonable to them!

A trunkmout is just a "feature" of your business, not a "benefit" to them. Its a benefit to you of course i.e. no filling up buckets, makes your job quicker etc.

Tony

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2011, 09:26:05 pm »
Carpet Dawg,
Yes. We've just a got a major new client worth £25k who booked us BECAUSE we had a TM and because  they were, 'fed up' with people turning up with (his words, not mine) 'Mickey mouse machines.' So yes, we get lots of new business from people looking for a TM system.

Simon

MAX Carpets

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2011, 09:28:37 pm »
Yes loads of times. I have been asked do you have the machine in the van? Also the neighbours notice a T/M more. But this can roll on forever.

I have used both, a porty for many years then T/M

Est 1988

Cheers

Justin

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2011, 09:36:00 pm »
If you don't have a TM to offer your customers, why would they know what a TM is?

I'll answer my own question then. So it's what you tell the customer.
And anyway a TM is only as good as the person using it, I've done enough jobs where the previous guys had used a TMer. So if a TM is the be all and end all ask yourself why customers have given me rave reviews for using a p poor portable, albeit it stays in the van fed from a 250L tank so perhaps they think it's a TM ;D

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2011, 09:41:40 pm »
Suppose with a truckmount running outside the neighbours will soon know what a tm is  ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2011, 09:44:23 pm »
Tony,

With respect,
A trunkmout is just a "feature" of your business, not a "benefit" to them., to say that is to completely misunderstand what a TM is and what it can do for your business. The Truck Mount is my business, it is the reason we exist, the reason we keep on growing and the reason our customers remain loyal to us because the vast majority, especially those who have used other carpet cleaners, have never seen quality like it, atleast that is what they keep on telling us.

Simon

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2011, 09:47:59 pm »
I agree with Tony that a TM is only a part of the business, I sell myself and my expertise the TM is part of my expertise.

Shaun

Matt Lindus

« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2011, 09:48:51 pm »
The problem is with us British folk.
Historically, were a strange bunch who like routine and tradition. Unfortunately Carpet and Upholstery cleaning is still a brand new concept for some. Some people don’t even know that such a business exists.

When it comes to window cleaning on the other hand, as worthless as it may be, customers bend over backwards to have their windows cleaned every month, even though they probably don’t need doing. It’s an historical trend that they have been accustomed to whitest growing up and it is seen as the correct thing to do.  

'The Spring Clean'. Another stupid British event that has become tradition.

Morning milk deliveries. Britain is the only country in the world to have milk delivered to the door, the Americans find this hysterical and put it down to our quirky eccentric nature.

British business needs to follow an existing tradition or work bloody hard to market a way or system to the most stubborn population in the world.

Matt

richy27

« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2011, 10:06:40 pm »
i dont want to get into a tm  vs porty row   but my figures state the facts     since upgrading to my tm  ( only a baby one ) my referrals have doubled in the 12 months  and i can now do jobs of  a size  i would of struggled to do with a porty . I know you can achieve great results with a porty in the correct hands but with a tm you can achieve that result a lot easier in half the time .

question    neil have you ever used a truckmount